• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

Your green card will be proof of work authorization

But you might need to update your social security information but i am not 100% sure so can someone please confirm this?

Hi Guys,

I am currently working as H1B and hope to continue at least till the end of year and I have no intention to apply for other work till I get my green card which I hope to be in 4-6 months.

My question is:
Do i need to apply for work permit and have EAD to work even after I get the physical green card? OR having the GreenCard is Proof enough to be able to work legally in US?

Ss

Your green card will be proof of work authorization

But you might need to update your social security information but i am not 100% sure so can someone please confirm this?

Need to apply for a new SS card without the work authorization endorsement.

New as

Thank you!

Now that I remember, we filled out yes, for the section that asked if we would want a new social security card issued and gave the number. Does anyone here know if that is issued automatically or we still need to apply at the ssa.

ss#

Now that I remember, we filled out yes, for the section that asked if we would want a new social security card issued and gave the number. Does anyone here know if that is issued automatically or we still need to apply at the ssa.

I don't remember a section on the DV form asking if I want ss card sent directly to me after GC. I actually went there on Monday and applied for a new card. It was a good feeling.

Update on follow to join

After getting my GC, I have been busy contacting the DOS and USCIS to understand the process of follow to join for DV cases. Very complicated but simple if someone has done it before. I was told to call the embassy abroad to schedule interview for my son. I sent an inquiry to the embassy almost two weeks ago but no reply. I called and spoke with someone but the lines were horrible. I couldn't get the matter resolved. I decided to email again attaching a copy of my welcome notice (I-797) and my 1st Notification Letter (NL). I got a reply in less than 24 hours indicating that my docs have been requested from KCC with the email requesting file from KCC. I immediately called KCC and was told files will be sent in a couple of days. Today I got an email from DOS to check for updates on entrant status check website and there was the interview letter. His interview is scheduled for May. Now, he is almost nineteen years old. Will he need an affidavit of support? If so, will it be the I-134 or the I-864? Is it alright if I send my w-2s, bank statements and also recent tax returns? Thanks for all your help. Good luck to you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ss#

I don't remember a section on the DV form asking if I want ss card sent directly to me after GC. I actually went there on Monday and applied for a new card. It was a good feeling.

So, you applied for new card at DMV even though you had old "Restricted" SS card?

Bulletin Info

my case # is AS2012036XXX
when should i send my AOS package??
should I wait till April even though I see my # in the advance part of the Visa Bulletin.

How is your number current in April, mine is also 36xxx and is not it current on May, or am I not reading bulletin correclty?

KV

Hi Guys,

I am currently working as H1B and hope to continue at least till the end of year and I have no intention to apply for other work till I get my green card which I hope to be in 4-6 months.

My question is:
Do i need to apply for work permit and have EAD to work even after I get the physical green card? OR having the GreenCard is Proof enough to be able to work legally in US?

Your activated visa in passport (for a period of up to one year) and your GC is the sole proof that you are authorized to work in the US for any employer indefinitely.

interview very soon - question about sponsor

Hi all

Last week I received the interview appointment letter for end of March (way earlier than expected - which is great:)).

I have a question about the sponsor and the I-134 form.

I'm a PhD f1 student who works as a teaching assistant at my school. Last year I got paid ~20k (including summer). I will provide paysubs, w2 form, and my federal tax returns. However, I'm still not positive that this will be enough, so I asked my friend to be my sponsor.

We will fill I-134 and he will provide me with his job offer letter. I asked him for his last year tax returns but he said that he wasn't working then and he barely made anything so it won't be useful.

My question is: is that all what I need to bring (regarding financials)?

For me (paysubs, w2, federal tax returns, maybe proof that I work at school)?
For him (I-134 and his job offer letter)?

Thanks

Thanks

That's actually more than enough. You don't need to worry about this too much, because I was not even asked for form I-134 during my interview and it was not even mentioned in my interview appointment letter. Though, I had one filled out just in case.

Good luck in your interview!

Visa # getting over

I am getting current on April 1st.
I heard back in my home country with those doing CP, number has already reached about 27K.
What chances are there for numbers like mine 32K Asia doing AOS that visa number might run out before I get interview?

visa #

I heard back in my home country with those doing CP, number has already reached about 27K.
What chances are there for numbers like mine 32K Asia doing AOS that visa number might run out before I get interview?
You should be fine sending your docs now without waiting for March 31st since you can see when your visa # number will be current on the visa bulletin board. You may choice to wait until then. I have checked almost all previous years and the 50,000 visas allocated are hardly used up. I believe your visa will be available by the time you are adjudicated. It is way too early to worry about that. You should be perfectly fine. Good luck

Asia selectees represent 15% of 100,000 overall selected. that's 15,000 Asians, of which 7,500 will be given DV visas. The numbers reached (32K) that you mentioned bears very little meaning. Firstly, it does not mean that there were 32,000 people from Asia before you that had interview. Confirmation numbers (within a region) are sometimes skipped by a magnitude of hundreds or thousands. Secondly, some people skip interview, some apply late, some don't show up, some are ineligible....etc...In Turkey for example, interviews are scheduled for May for people with AS or EU numbers in low thousands (<5,000) along with those in 20,000-sands.

If you look at the statistics from previous 10 years (statistics is posted on US gov website), you'll see that the limit of 50,000 has been reached in maybe one year, and that in late September.

With the fact that many lost their Confirmation Numbers (without which further processing is impossible), economic situation, along with all other factors, I'd say you should be perfectly fine to have your AOS adjudicated in time.

Lastly, the numbers have been moving very rapidly this year. The numbers move rapidly only if the numbers of DV interviews is low.

Last edited by a moderator:
interview

Hi all

Last week I received the interview appointment letter for end of March (way earlier than expected - which is great:)).

I have a question about the sponsor and the I-134 form.

I'm a PhD f1 student who works as a teaching assistant at my school. Last year I got paid ~20k (including summer). I will provide paysubs, w2 form, and my federal tax returns. However, I'm still not positive that this will be enough, so I asked my friend to be my sponsor.

We will fill I-134 and he will provide me with his job offer letter. I asked him for his last year tax returns but he said that he wasn't working then and he barely made anything so it won't be useful.

Thanks
Congrats receiving your IL, that was quick. I was never asked of any financial docs during my interview but I had attached the most recent pay stub with my docs that were sent to Chicago lckbx. The IO did talk about my job since I was on H-1B. I had all financial backings during the interview but was never asked and so I didn't show any. You should be fine with the I-134 from your sponsor and the other docs (w2, paystubs, etc) from your school. Also, read previous forums 'cause there are many on F1 that did AOS. Good luck on your interview. We will be waiting to hear good news.

AOS Package

What forms I should be sending as part of AOS package.

• I-485
  • I-765
  • I-131
  • G-325A
  • copy of marriage certificate
  • copy of birth certificate
  • copy of I-94's
  • copy of the receipt of processing fee
  • copy of selection letter

Do I need to include any other forms or documents? like I-134, employment letter.....

Thanks,
KV

What forms I should be sending as part of AOS package.

• I-485
  • I-765
  • I-131
  • G-325A
  • copy of marriage certificate
  • copy of birth certificate
  • copy of I-94's
  • copy of the receipt of processing fee
  • copy of selection letter

Do I need to include any other forms or documents? like I-134, employment letter.....

Thanks,
KV

I sent them these forms and they accepted them..

1.Form G-1145
2.Personal check of $1,070: filing fee for I-485($985) and Biometrics($85)
3.Two identical color photographs (2”x 2”)
4.Form I-693, Medical report in sealed envelope
5.Form I-485, filled and duly signed.
6.Form G-325A
IDs
7.Copy of birth certificate.
8.Copy of marriage certificate
9.Copy of government-issued identifications : Driver’s license and SSN
Passport/Visa
10.Copy of Passport with a photo
11.I-94 Arrival/Departure record
12.Copy of passport pages with L1 and F1 visas
13.Copy of passport page with admission (entry) stamp
NL/Receipt
14.Copy of 1st Notification letter
15.Copy of 2nd Notification letter
16.Copy of DOS fee receipt.
Academic

18.Copy of Bachelor Degree Certificate
19.Copy of Bachelor Degree Transcript

Financial

I-131

Final Status on Green Card

Hello Everyone,

It's been some time since I last updated my status mainly due to not hearing back from USCIS for a long time after the biometrics appointment.
I finally had my green card this week and would like to share my experience which may help people currently are in the process or for future cases.

Before jumping to the end part which was the easiest part, I want to go back and shortly write about what happened after I submit my application.

Since I had a very low number my case was current in October, in the package AOS I also applied for advance parole document since there was an abroad conference that I wanted attend in late November. Unfortunately the document did not arrive on time and I couldn't made it to the conference which was very sad for me. I even went to Chicago to ask about this situation to USCIS office. Over there they told me that they don't prioritize the applications based on the dates you need to be abroad but rather just gave me an estimate of 3 to 4 months to receive the travel document after they received my original application. It seems unless you have something urgent such as life/death issues back at home they don't speed up your case, which I think is pretty ridiculous.
Actually after doing some web search on process time of advance parole document, I was well aware of the possibility of not receiving the travel document on time before I sent the original application. Since my number was low I was initially thinking of sending my AOS application after I come back from the conference. My number was already current and was always going to be until the fiscal year ends. That sounded like a pretty good idea and if I did not consult to anyone then I would have done this and send my application late November (after I return to US from the conference) and worst case it would have delayed the green card maybe for couple of months which would not have hurt me. But my family and friends did not wanted me to take chances on the green card application although my plan made sense. This was once in a lifetime opportunity. So I took the advice and sent the application and decided to wait on the advance parole document which actually arrived around mid December.

Now since I have my card in 5.5 months I can judge my past decision easier, I probably should have waited to submit my application after the conference, but it is not the end of the world. Hopefully I will get to go to more of them in the future. But it is still something to think for future cases that is going to be similar situations.

After receiving the travel document I did not hear anything back for almost 2 months, I called the call center twice in that period and they told me that the processing times for my office (Indianapolis) was 4 months and they kept saying that it was under normal process times so there was nothing to worry about. So I waited the 4 months from the time I sent the initial package and visited the USCIS office. There they told me that they were waiting for the Kentucky center to send them a form which they have requested twice. They said there is nothing to be done on my side and told me to wait for the interview letter which would come in couple of weeks. As the lady said approximately a week later I had my interview letter. It was scheduled for a month later and there was a page that listed the things I should bring to the interview. I looked at the letter and it seemed like I had already submitted most of the documents they ask for the interview in the original package. So I do anything until the day before the interview. The day before I got two transcripts from the school, copies of all the documents I submitted, originals of passport, birth certificate and drivers licence and finally the print out of the pay stubs and w2 forms.

I was pretty confident in the days coming to the interview day because I knew that my case was probably one of the most plain and simplest. I was single, without any kids, an f-1 PhD student who has been a research assistant for 5 years. My visa was still ongoing (ending end of this summer) and I always had an income that was more than 1.25 of poverty line so that I also did not need a sponsor. Actually I realized about this sponsor need the day before the interview as I was preparing the interview binder (typical act of a student like doing the homework the day before its due :)), that made me little nervous until shortly after I found out about who actually needed a sponsor as I read in the document.

As expected the interview was as smooth and quick as it could be, I think it took like 10-15 minutes. I was there 10 minutes early and they called me 20 minutes after my exact interview time. One lady took me to her office, after I swore to tell the truth (only the truth :)) she looked at my file, she double checked the name and the address' on the papers, then she started asking me those questions that are pretty weird to almost everyone that you simply say no to all of it, same as the ones that were at the end of the I-485 application (whether I was involved in terrorist activities or had previous crimes :)). After that she asked to see my transcript which I had not put in my original package, I was so glad that I had it with me, happily presented that to her, she quickly glanced it, asked me about the school life and when I would be graduating; then she told me that my file looked good and she was going to recommend it,
this was pretty much the whole conversation in the interview.

Same day the online status jumped from initial review to card production, couple of days later the status was updated saying that it was given to usps on was on its way to me. I received the card 8 days after I had the interview, oddly the welcome letter arrived a day after the card.

This is my story on how I received my card, I thank all the members who shared their valuable experiences on this forum,
I wish the best of luck to all who are in the process of obtaining their cards.