• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

First of all, I want to thank all the people in this forum, it has been of great help to me (and many others) - Thanks makeiteasier for your last reply to my questions - you did 'make it easier' :)

I still have some minor questions when I'm filling form G-325A - Biographic Information.

1) In the 'Applicant's residence last five years. List present address first' section; I need more boxes, since I lived in more than 5 difference places (they have 5 boxes) during the last five years. Do I just split boxes (drawing horizontal lines) so I can write two places in one box? Or do I just fill the last five places I lived in, even if they don't span to 5 years period?

2) 'This form is submitted in connection with an application for:'; which one should I check? 'Status as Permanent Resident'?

3) This last question is about the checks; I'm aware that I need to write two personal checks (one for $985 and the other is for $85) payable to Department of Homeland Security. But do I need to specify which one is for which, like do I need to specify which one is for biometric fee, by writing something on the check? - By the way, I thought they're $930 and $80, until right now when I checked the website. - Please comment on this.

Thanks (again)
1. I'd just write last 5. You can add another piece of paper if you have more, I'd personally not worry about that at all. Don't split the boxes!
2. That's what I wrote
3. Just a check for $1070. I'm married, so I wrote 2 for $1070, I think it's fine not to separate bio fee.

3) This last question is about the checks; I'm aware that I need to write two personal checks (one for $985 and the other is for $85) payable to Department of Homeland Security. But do I need to specify which one is for which, like do I need to specify which one is for biometric fee, by writing something on the check? - By the way, I thought they're $930 and $80, until right now when I checked the website. - Please comment on this.

I wrote ONE check combined for me and my wife's 1040 and biometrics. They never complained about it.

Thanks

I-485 Documents for AOS

Hi, everyone.

my wife is EU25XXX
Both on F1
she is in school
i graduated in may 2011 and i am on (OPT)
her number will be current in March/APR

08/23/11 Sent DSP-122, and 2 Photos for both of us/ confirmation of receipt by phone
10/24/11 Sent $880 to St. Louis for both of us/ we received the receipts.

I have few questions please
Should we get the medical done now?
and what are the exact document that we need to prepare with the I-485.?
for the birth certificate, does it have to be translated and notarized or just simply translated?
since we have been here in the us for the last few years , should we get police/ and criminal records from our origin countries or from here ?
I am already on OPT I have a work permit now. does it make sense to apply for a new one ?

thank you in advance
your help is much appreciated

Reject application because number is not current

Hi,

My number will be current in February. It already appears in the bulletin.

We submitted our I-485 at Xmas. But it was rejected because our number is not current. They sent back everything (including the checks). They read the documents and re-arranged them.

It was my understanding that as soon as our number is the bulettin (or 50 days prior of being current) you could file for AOS. I have seen many examples on this forum of people being accepted that way.

Does anyone as the text that explain that we are allowed to apply early? Or is it just luck depending on the person processing it?

Any help would be appreciate!

Cheers,
Koubiak

I am so sorry...but it's not the end!

Hi,

My number will be current in February. It already appears in the bulletin.

We submitted our I-485 at Xmas. But it was rejected because our number is not current. They sent back everything (including the checks). They read the documents and re-arranged them.

It was my understanding that as soon as our number is the bulettin (or 50 days prior of being current) you could file for AOS. I have seen many examples on this forum of people being accepted that way.

Does anyone as the text that explain that we are allowed to apply early? Or is it just luck depending on the person processing it?

Any help would be appreciate!

Cheers,
Koubiak

I had read in this forum, and elsewhere that you can do so 50 days before...and have quoted that for someone, but now I need to re-examine after this. See Thread: DV 2012 - AOS - step by step page 1. Also, see this article page 556 paragraph 3. The whole article (reduced to 8 pages) is very resourceful...so I guess the person who received yours may have decided to send it back. Again, DV lottery really aint a right but a privilege so we are still at their discretion, and one day we may find favor and not the other day. So the fact that they rejected is just one thing...I would resubmit.
http://www.wolfsdorf.com/articles/Winning the DV Lottery (revised).pdf

The Federal Registry also carries wealth and loads of information regarding these: check 22 CFR 42 for many many different provisions.

Mine had been rejected because of signature, and when I resubmitted, they somehow accepted it. I hope that they will not come later and reject it after they have already cashed the check and sent me for fingerprinting etc...but this is is what one has to suffer for doing it so early, questions...though doing it later doesnt reduce the questions either.

Thanks this is very useful.

Your document states:
Based on USCIS policy, DV beneficiaries and the accompanying family members may submit applications to the USCIS National Benefits Center (NBC) for adjustment of status only after the Visa Bulletin indicates the beneficiary’s priority date, which is 75 days prior to the date a visa will be available.29

I cannot get access to the reference and could not find an official document explaining policy. I am going through 22 CFR 42 now.

koubiak

Sorry to hear that your case was rejected. Hope your application will be accepted
in Feb and get green cards eventually.

In the past, lots of applicants got accepted when submitting I485 after their number is
on the visa bulletin. See the actual examples last year and compare "Current" and "AOS in Chicago"

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...1NDJaZWR0aTBQTHc&hl=en&authkey=CKu6h5UN#gid=0

I checked with SOP of I485 as well. (I do not know USCIS actually uses this SOP or not though..)

http://www.imminfo.com/Resources/CIS/CIS SOP I-485.pdf

On page 141, it says..

------------
To determine if a visa number is available, refer to the Diversity section of
the Visa Bulletin. If the applicant’s case number is BELOW the specified
allocation cut-off number on the visa list for the applicant’s country/region
of chargeability, then a visa number IS available.
-------------

We can interpret this SOP in two different ways.
For example, Feb data released in Dec.

One is "Visa will be available in Feb. So it is not available in Dec"
The other is "In Dec we know that visa is available in Feb"

The second interpretation sounds strange, but in the past, they accepted
applications after visa bulleting release.

In any cases, I think that it is up to officers handling the case.
Another example is my walk-in biometrics. I read the posts in the past
that NJ Elizabeth accepts walk-in biometrics on Wednesdays. So we went
there on Wed. However, we were rejected by a manager. On Fri, we went
there and got accepted by another manager.
So, your luck depends on who handles your case..

my wife got selected on July 15th
and so far i didn't do anything
Do you think guys i am late
i didn't send 440*2 yet
i am in USA i am just graduated and applied for OPT

aosF1

>Should we get the medical done now?

Medical record remains valid for 1 year. So, you can make an appointment
with a civil surgeon now, if you want.

>what are the exact document that we need to prepare with the I-485.?

I posted my list on #282 on page 10. Applicants include different sets of documents
into I485 package. So, you may want to search what others are doing and
make your own decisions.

>for the birth certificate, does it have to be translated and notarized or just simply translated?

Here is a guideline on foreign language documents.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=fe529c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________
Date Typed Name
Address

>since we have been here in the us for the last few years , should we
>get police/ and criminal records from our origin countries or from here ?

In general, you do not need to get police record by your self.
See my post on #386 on page 13 for exceptions.

regards,

max555

Interview experience

Was there 15 mins earlier. Called in exactly at time.
The immigration office lead us in and told us to raise our right hands. Asked if we will tell the truth. Asked for drivers license, EADs passport, DV fee reciept, marriage license. Thats about it, he didn't ask for birth certificates or high school diploma or tax returns or employment letter. No affidavit of support needed.
After asking the yes no questions in the form, he said everything looked good and said he will recommend our application. I asked how long do we have to wait for the card, he said, "less than two weeks." and then he walked us out.

Good day today! :)

rdada

Interview experience
Was there 15 mins earlier. .....

Good day today!

Congratulations.

I just got my notice of acceptance today (email). Do they send the biometrics appointment date by e-mail or snail mail?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats rdada!! Enjoy your new status!

The immigration office lead us in and told us to raise our right hands. Asked if we will tell the truth. Asked for drivers license, EADs passport, DV fee reciept, marriage license. Thats about it, he didn't ask for birth certificates or high school diploma or tax returns or employment letter. No affidavit of support needed.
After asking the yes no questions in the form, he said everything looked good and said he will recommend our application. I asked how long do we have to wait for the card, he said, "less than two weeks." and then he walked us out.

i-485

hi guys
this me again ..now i have some question if you reply i'll be really appreciate..
as I read at this form i need to send my birthday certificate and my diploma but they are turkish should i translate them if i do need where or how can i translate them to english ? and the other question is that my friend told me that if you want to work until wait for your green card you should fill another form and send with i-485 package IS that right ?and which form am i supposed to fill ?and also i check the visa bulletine and now it's says February 22,000 what does mean that ?i think my case # will be appear next month right ?
thank so much guys

2012eu00021xxx (md)

07/15/11 1st NL on the web

07/30/11 Sent DSP-122, DS-230, and Photos to KCC

12/20/11 finally send the fee )

01/12/12 appointment for medicial examination

01/14/12 went to the doctor again ..papers will be ready on monday..

nonimmigrant visa #

hi guys,
at i-485 part 3 A "NONIMMIAGRANT VISA NUMBER " AS I READ ON MANY IMMIGRANT-FORUM THEY WROTE NONIMMIGRANT VISA NUMBER IS ON YOUR VISA WHICH PRINTED IN RED ..NOW I CHECKED IT .YES IT'S RIGHT I HAVE IT ON MY VISA BUT NOW I'M A F-1 VISA HOLDER NOT J-1 ..J-1 WAS MY FIRST VISA WHICH I GOT WHEN FIRST TIME CAME TO USA..WHAT DO YOU THINK NOW SHOULD I WRITE THAT NUMBER OR NOT?
THANKS

2012eu00021xxx (md)

07/15/11 1st NL on the web

07/30/11 Sent DSP-122, DS-230, and Photos to KCC

12/20/11 finally send the fee )

01/12/12 appointment for medicial examination

01/14/12 went to the doctor again ..papers will be ready on monday..

When to file?

Dear all,

My visa number will be current as of March 1 according to the Visa Bulletin. Can I send my application package to the USCIS on February 15 or before?

Thank you,

Amine

Visa available in march

Dear all,

My visa number will be current as of March 1 according to the Visa Bulletin. Can I send my application package to the USCIS on February 15 or before?

Thank you,

Amine

Hey Amine ,
I have a question ! my wifes number will be current in march too!
?I was curious what is your number ? ours is EU25XXX
I just want to compare !

J1 to F1 to Greencard lottery

Hi.
My wife is confused about I-485 part 3 question 11 "Have you ever been a J nonimmigrant exchange visitor who was subject to the 2 year foreign residence requirement and not yet complied with that requirement or obtained a waiver? Yes or No"
She got here on J-1 visa and changed it to F-1 in 2008 from within the US. She did not go home for 2 years nor did she obtain a waiver. Is she required to get that waiver? Should we answer NO?

Thx

regarding of question

this me again ..now i have some question if you reply i'll be really appreciate..

1)as I read at this form i need to send my birthday certificate and my diploma but they are turkish should i translate them if i do need where or how can i translate them to english ? and the other question is that my friend told me that if you want to work until wait for your green card you should fill another form and send with i-485 package IS that right ?and which form am i supposed to fill ?and also i check the visa bulletine and now it's says February 22,000 what does mean that ?i think my case # will be appear next month right ?
thank so much guys

2)at i-485 part 3 A "NONIMMIAGRANT VISA NUMBER " AS I READ ON MANY IMMIGRANT-FORUM THEY WROTE NONIMMIGRANT VISA NUMBER IS ON YOUR VISA WHICH PRINTED IN RED ..NOW I CHECKED IT .YES IT'S RIGHT I HAVE IT ON MY VISA BUT NOW I'M A F-1 VISA HOLDER NOT J-1 ..J-1 WAS MY FIRST VISA WHICH I GOT WHEN FIRST TIME CAME TO USA..WHAT DO YOU THINK NOW SHOULD I WRITE THAT NUMBER OR NOT?

are you guys don't have any idea about that questions?

thanks

Congratulations!

That was EASY! Congratulations!