• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2012 AOS Only

Sooo... I came home today from my vacation, and I found my green card in the mailbox!! What a good way to start the new year!

Good luck everyone!!

Please help tjf with his inquiries.Congrats on ur Green card Arrival!

thanks

Eyup,

> i got confuse at part 2

It seems everybody got confused with Part2 of I485.
See #333-#338 on page 12 of DV2012 AOS only

>NONIMMIGRANT VISA NUMBER

I do not know whether it is right or not, but I used "control number" on my visa on my passport.

ps. I edited my previous post. Now the link should work.

thanks,

max555

ok thanks so much for reply friends

Biometrics & Background Check

Dear all,

First of all, congratulations Ocean3!

I have a question about the police certificates. Do I need to fill out a background check form and send it here in the US so I can receive a background check report from the FBI or does the biometrics appointment at the USCIS office substitute for it?

Thank you for the help!

Amine

Dear all,

First of all, congratulations Ocean3!

I have a question about the police certificates. Do I need to fill out a background check form and send it here in the US so I can receive a background check report from the FBI or does the biometrics appointment at the USCIS office substitute for it?

Thank you for the help!

Amine

Never heard of such a thing. Curious to hear the answer as well. I thought this background criminal record is needed only for CP.

Amine

Here is a guideline on I485 Instruction.

Page 3
6. Police clearances
If you are filing for adjustment of status as a member of a special class
described in an I485 supplemental form, please read the instructions on
the supplement form to see if you need to obtain and submit police
clearances, in addition to the required fingerprints, with your application.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485instr.pdf

I found one supplemental form which require police clearance. There may be other one as well.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-485supe.pdf
-------------
So in general, you do not need to obtain police clearance by yourself.

Favor upon favor for you my friend.

Hello all,

I have two questions;

1) How bad would it be to send the AOS package on the 5th of the current month instead of the 1st. I will be current this Jan but still don't have all the papers in hand. Is it fine if I send the package like on the 5th? Will it delay the process?

2) My second question is about the government-issued photo ID. I lived in one state for two years (from 2008 to 2010), right now I'm living in a different state (I've been in this state for a year and a half). Now I don't have a state ID for this state but I have one for the old state. What's the best thing to do? Send a copy of the old state ID or should I issue a new state ID for this state and send it instead of the old one? *The old one is not expired or anything.

Thanks
Well said by all else.

1. You can send it in April if you are current in january. Doesnt matter as long as your number is/has been current. BUT they advise on vigilance and as the legal maxim on doctrine of laches goes "Lex vigilantibus, non dormientibus, subvenit" (equity aids the vigilant, not the indolent. It's not encouraged to derail [sleep] on your right/privilege as this. If you dont apply on time, and then later the visas are gone (remember 110000 winners, but only 50000 will get?), nothing can be done to cure. Even their letters and website encourage vigilance.

2. You may need a local DL...they will grill you to your skin for the DL/residence inconsistence...which is by the way against the law. You are allowed only a number of weeks in a different state before you change your DL...but it can be tricky when things have expired. Alternatively, use a passport. (By the way I used only a passport when I went for my bio - though I have a local valid DL)

3. I wish you the very best during this process, and may favor be upon your way each day...and may whoever receives, touches, or goes through your papers in the process do so with favor upon you.

Ocean3,

Congrats on your green card!!! You are the first "GREEN" person on this thread!!

Makeiteasier

>remember 110000 winners, but only 50000 will get?

I just make one comment on this data.
I think there are lots of winners who do not apply for green cards and are not
eligible for doing so. For example, if they just took an excellent job in their own
country, they just choose to stay there.
Deadline of DV2012 winners are Sep 2012. I guess almost all of them will eventually
get green cards if they apply beforehand. Winners whose number is current in Sep should
submit their applications as soon as their number is on the visa bulletin, though.

I checked ASIA's number of visa bulletins 2003-2011.
From 2006 to 2011, all of the number became current for Asia.
(I am from Asia, so I checked only Asian data)
It indicated that even with high number winners have high chance to getting green cards.

I also heard actual # of green cards issued in the past for DV winners. It was below 50,000.

Questions about Form I-485

Hello all,

I have some questions when filling I-485 form, I'd appreciate any help.

1) Part 1. 'Current USCIS Status' and 'Expires on (mm/dd/yyy)' fields;
I'm currently a student here in the states, so I assume my 'Current USCIS Status' would be 'F1', but I'm not sure about the 'Expires on' field, what should I write here, is it the visa expiration date (by the way my visa is already expired but I have a valid I-20), or should I just write 'Duration of Status'?

2) Part 2. Application Type. Which one should I check? I'm a single student.

3) Part 3. 'Give your name exactly as it appears on your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record'. My name written on I-94 is my last and first name, without the middle name, is that Ok? Should I just write first last?

4) Part 3. 'Place of Last Entry Into the United States'. Should I write the city of the airport where I landed, or the city where my school is at? - by the way, my school address is written on the visa.

Thanks and I'm sorry if my questions are trivial.

An attempt to answer...

Hello all,

I have some questions when filling I-485 form, I'd appreciate any help.

1) Part 1. 'Current USCIS Status' and 'Expires on (mm/dd/yyy)' fields;
I'm currently a student here in the states, so I assume my 'Current USCIS Status' would be 'F1', but I'm not sure about the 'Expires on' field, what should I write here, is it the visa expiration date (by the way my visa is already expired but I have a valid I-20), or should I just write 'Duration of Status'?

2) Part 2. Application Type. Which one should I check? I'm a single student.

3) Part 3. 'Give your name exactly as it appears on your Form I-94, Arrival-Departure Record'. My name written on I-94 is my last and first name, without the middle name, is that Ok? Should I just write first last?

4) Part 3. 'Place of Last Entry Into the United States'. Should I write the city of the airport where I landed, or the city where my school is at? - by the way, my school address is written on the visa.

Thanks and I'm sorry if my questions are trivial.
1. Duration of Stay usually means till your I-20 expires. Had the same question in 2010 :) so I called USCIS.
2. h. DV2012***** or Diversity Vi... (but it wont fit the slot)
3. I would give it as asked to avoid any questions later.
4. Airport - POE

questions about DSP122 and DS 230 for AOS

Hello
I've been following the forum since I learned I was selected, and then due to my high case number (EU30XXX) I stopped reading it for a while. and now since the numbers are moving fast, I'm back and have been reading what I've missed since weekend....I was gonna work with a lawyer but thanks to people on this forum and their feedback, I decided to save my 1500$ to myself. I havent sent any docs to kentucky yet, some say that I do not even need to do that, just sending 485 is enough, but I do not want to take risk and am planning to send dsp122 and ds 230 this week, so if you can help me on some questions, I really appreciate your time and help.

I m currently a J1 student (already got my HRR waiver on april 2011), and planning to graduate on august 2012.
1. I know I need - for me (main applicant) DSP 122 and DS 230, and just Ds230 for my spouse, and nothing for my us citizen child, but double checking....
2. DSP 122 question 6.b. names and addresses of all schools: I'm doing my phd since 01/2007. I write 01/2007 on "from" section. I'm graduating on August 2012, do I write "still" or "present" or "N/A" in "To" section?
also do we write the names of the schools that we attended in our home country in english or in our native language?

3. DSP 122 question 7: even though we have work experience, we say "NO" if our education level is above high school, right?

4. DS230 question 31a and 31b, my husband and I have been living here since 2003. so I just fill 31a? is this question for people doing CP in overseas?

5.DS 230: question 32: I've been working as a graduate research assistant and teaching assistant at different times, instead of writing each of these, is it ok if I just write "graduate assistant" for all?

6.DS 230: question 33, is this asking just the college and university? or should I include all starting from
elementary school?

7. DS230: question 40 j : question is: "an alien who is a former exchange visitor (J visa) who has not fullfilled the 2 year foreign residence requirement", I'm still a J visa holder but I already obtained my waiver for this, so I should check NO, right?

these are all my questions, I'm sure about some of them but stilll wanted to get a second and third opinion to double check.

Thank you very much for your time, and I wish the best for all.

gkds52

2012EU30xxx

gkds52, if you're doing AOS - you don't need to send 230 at all...

----------------

Hey guys, so I guess updated bulletin is finally here!
My number is EU24XXX, so I'm going to be current in March.

I already prepared my 485 package and now my biggest question is - should I send it now or wait until March? What's the worst that can happen if I send it now and they reject it? Will I be able to send it later again?

thanks for your reply,
so just DSP 122 for me + 2 photos for me, 2 photos for my spouse + barcode sheet + fee for me and fee for spouse, all?

thanks again

thanks for your reply,
so just DSP 122 for me + 2 photos for me, 2 photos for my spouse + barcode sheet + fee for me and fee for spouse, all?

thanks again

That's what I did at least :) You can go through this thread - see how other people did, but from what I know - that's the way to go.

yes I think you are right
I've been looking at the forum about the forms.....

I'll go ahead and send my dsp 122. 6th question in dsp 122 asks about the schools, "From - To " section for dates. If I havent graduated yet, should I leave the "to" section empty, or should I write my expoected graduation date? because I can not write "present" or "still", it says no allowed format....

thanks very much!

I'll go ahead and send my dsp 122. 6th question in dsp 122 asks about the schools, "From - To " section for dates. If I havent graduated yet, should I leave the "to" section empty, or should I write my expoected graduation date? because I can not write "present" or "still", it says no allowed format....

thanks very much!

For that I'm not sure. I know there are some students on this thread - I'd recommend you ask them.

My knowledge

gkds52, if you're doing AOS - you don't need to send 230 at all...

----------------

Hey guys, so I guess updated bulletin is finally here!
My number is EU24XXX, so I'm going to be current in March.

I already prepared my 485 package and now my biggest question is - should I send it now or wait until March? What's the worst that can happen if I send it now and they reject it? Will I be able to send it later again?

To the best of my knowledge, information and belief, you can send the package once you see your number on bulletin; or upto about 50 days before you become current. You will be current on March 1.
The worst that can happen?: Hopefully we dont get to find out that...but in case they reject it, you can always resubmit.
I sent mine on Oct. 11ish (check my signature) and they rejected it coz I forgot to sign, and I resubmitted it. Once I did resubmit, they gave me a different receipt number, and proceeded though I am yet to be current (of course that means that am walking on pins and needles hoping for the best).

To the best of the hearsay that I have heard - if they cash your checks, they will proceed and process your case.

Rejection is different from denial. If rejected, you amend the error and resubmit the same application. If denied - you are denied, and can appeal or file a motion to reopen. They have no reason to deny a case for filing early.

DS Forms

thanks very much!

This is a great forum for sure, though there are some instructions that can only be found on the USCIS website, and the forum doesnt substitute. That said, once you read the NL1 from July 15, 2011: it notifies you that you have won, and leads you to the instructions for selectees. That has instructions on whether or not to send DS230 and it supersedes what we hear and read from other people's experiences. I may not be a faithful follower of the rules as to timing for sending the documents, but it is the documents being processed, and with the government, they would rather have too much than too little so that you are lacking.

Re: Student from - to: Try "Current" if alphas are not allowed, write today's date...previously I wrote the date that I was filling and explained below; and a friend wrote the expected graduation date. The best thing would however to call kentucky and ask them. They are usually very helpful with filling out these two forms...especially since they know what they are looking for.

Questions about Form G-325A

First of all, I want to thank all the people in this forum, it has been of great help to me (and many others) - Thanks makeiteasier for your last reply to my questions - you did 'make it easier' :)

I still have some minor questions when I'm filling form G-325A - Biographic Information.

1) In the 'Applicant's residence last five years. List present address first' section; I need more boxes, since I lived in more than 5 difference places (they have 5 boxes) during the last five years. Do I just split boxes (drawing horizontal lines) so I can write two places in one box? Or do I just fill the last five places I lived in, even if they don't span to 5 years period?

2) 'This form is submitted in connection with an application for:'; which one should I check? 'Status as Permanent Resident'?

3) This last question is about the checks; I'm aware that I need to write two personal checks (one for $985 and the other is for $85) payable to Department of Homeland Security. But do I need to specify which one is for which, like do I need to specify which one is for biometric fee, by writing something on the check? - By the way, I thought they're $930 and $80, until right now when I checked the website. - Please comment on this.

Thanks (again)