• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2011 winners from asia only

Hi guys,
Finally I have come to the correct place.

I'm from Sri Lanka, I got my selection letter from KCC about couple of weeks before. My case number is very high AS00032xxx. but I went to US visa bulleting and noticed that 30000 nos. of selectors have been called for in previous yrs. In addition to that the amount US embassy charge for the interview, I do not think everybody will attend to the interview ( as an Asian I think so)

Anyhow I have still few questions in this regard .

01. if some one doesn't have sponsor from US how much money (or property) he must have to be selected

02. If KCC selects winners randomly (from Asia) and give CN in order, how always each country get similar no. of selectors in each year. (Ex. Bangladesh get more visas every year)

03. what this means "CP is generally quicker than AOS"

04. If case nos. are high and likely to be not called for interview, why granted DV in each year are below than 50,000. (As per the US visa statistics)

Thank you so much for you all!

Hi guys,
Finally I have come to the correct place.

I'm from Sri Lanka, I got my selection letter from KCC about couple of weeks before. My case number is very high AS00032xxx. but I went to US visa bulleting and noticed that 30000 nos. of selectors have been called for in previous yrs. In addition to that the amount US embassy charge for the interview, I do not think everybody will attend to the interview ( as an Asian I think so)

Anyhow I have still few questions in this regard .

01. if some one doesn't have sponsor from US how much money (or property) he must have to be selected

02. If KCC selects winners randomly (from Asia) and give CN in order, how always each country get similar no. of selectors in each year. (Ex. Bangladesh get more visas every year)

03. what this means "CP is generally quicker than AOS"

04. If case nos. are high and likely to be not called for interview, why granted DV in each year are below than 50,000. (As per the US visa statistics)

Thank you so much for you all!

I will try to answer few of your questions:

2. I read somewhere in DOS website that each country will equally be allotted 7% of the total visa, if 7% has been reached for one specific country, does not matter if visas are still available that country will not get more than that, seniors can shed some light on this.

3. Adjustment of Status is for those already in the US, but it takes much longer than Consular Processing. For those who are not in the US, they have to do CP, but those in US may also choose to go back to their country and do CP. For AOS, when visa number becomes available, one can submit all the required forms to the USCIS and wait while it is being processed, the whole thing may take on average 3-4 months or longer depending on each case. For CP, one can/may get an interview date on the same month their visa number becomes current. FOr more info, please refer to the DV 2010 AOS only thread, it is a wealth of information.
4. Refer to my answer to no. 2

Thanks.

I will try to answer few of your questions:

2. I read somewhere in DOS website that each country will equally be allotted 7% of the total visa, if 7% has been reached for one specific country, does not matter if visas are still available that country will not get more than that, seniors can shed some light on this.

3. Adjustment of Status is for those already in the US, but it takes much longer than Consular Processing. For those who are not in the US, they have to do CP, but those in US may also choose to go back to their country and do CP. For AOS, when visa number becomes available, one can submit all the required forms to the USCIS and wait while it is being processed, the whole thing may take on average 3-4 months or longer depending on each case. For CP, one can/may get an interview date on the same month their visa number becomes current. FOr more info, please refer to the DV 2010 AOS only thread, it is a wealth of information.
4. Refer to my answer to no. 2

Thanks.

izzy .... great answers!

nalin,
1. you must be able to either prove that you or your sponsor lives at 125% above the poverty guideline. which is about $18212 a year. check this link at the uscis website.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
4. they normally select more than the dv visas available, ie, more than 50000. they predict that not everyone who wins will go thru the process. statistics also show that every year they have never issued out all 50000 dv visas. so basically even someone with a very high cn may stand a chance to get his gc.

Thanks for the prompt reply Izzy120 and leongsce, you are very helpfull

But what is "which is about $18212 a year." for my q 1. I am confused:confused:

This is I think sponsor's yearly income to be entitled to sponsor some one who get DV.

But how to calculate dv selector's income when he doesn't have a US sponsor. If that is also the same as sponsors income (i.e. $18212)
Do you mean I should have an income in Sri lanka $18212 yearly by now. Oh My God!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the prompt reply Izzy120 and leongsce, you are very helpfull

But what is "which is about $18212 a year." for my q 1. I am confused:confused:

In the DV instructions, it is stated that applicants should provide proof of financial stability so that they will not become a public charge to the US government. This is either done by providing employment/financial records including tax returns, W-2s, payslips, bank statements, etc. or by way of a GC holder or a US citizen who will state that he/she will "sponsor" the applicant by way of submitting either I-864 or I-134. Although I-864 is normally not used for DV cases, it depends on what the IO will ask for you to submit. Of course, there have been cases that were approved without submission of either forms, but you never really know, they might ask you to provide either one of them in addition to your submission of your financial/employment records. The bottom line is that, again, you will be able to support yourself and your family once in the US and that you will not become a burden to the US government financially. There is a lot of information on the USCIS website including the poverty guidelines, I suggest you read the poverty guideline and both the forms+instructions carefully. I have attached the links for you that will explain your above question:

Poverty Guideline (I-864P): http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864p.pdf
Affidavit of Support+Instructions (I-864): http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-864.pdf
Affidavit of Support+Instructions (I-134): http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=db029c7755cb9010VgnVCM10000045f3d6a1RCRD

Again, it is upto the IO to ask for either one, nevertheless, it is wise to be prepared. Refer to AOS 2010 only thread, as suggested before, there is a wealth of information there about this very issue.

All right, and thanks again Izzy.
Anyway I must keep in touch with this thread till I get my Green card. It is (this site) so much usefull.

You are welcome, it can be pretty confusing at first with this whole process (I was)...don't hesitate to ask questions. Will you be doing AOS or CP? I am assuming you are in the US...

To Izzy120:

CN: 2011AS000010xx (Local USCIS Office: Jacksonville, Florida)
11/23/09: DV2011 Lottery Entered
05/01/10: NL1 received
05/06/10: Sent forms (DSP122+DS230) & Photos & Barcode Sheet to KCC
05/28/10: KCC confirmed receipt of forms (called KCC)
06/11/10: NL2 received <------ What does this mean??, Does it mean a notification of an interview or something? I think the interview process for DV 2011 winner does not start yet.

To Izzy120:

CN: 2011AS000010xx (Local USCIS Office: Jacksonville, Florida)
11/23/09: DV2011 Lottery Entered
05/01/10: NL1 received
05/06/10: Sent forms (DSP122+DS230) & Photos & Barcode Sheet to KCC
05/28/10: KCC confirmed receipt of forms (called KCC)
06/11/10: NL2 received <------ What does this mean??, Does it mean a notification of an interview or something? I think the interview process for DV 2011 winner does not start yet.

no, i think it's not that fast, 'cause you have to finish all the medical examinations and the translations needed for (birth certificate, police certificate etc.), then your case will be current for an interview...

When I go through this forum I find more questions, sorry for that

01. In DS230 form I kept blank the "Name and address of Petitioner" (for me and family) since I don't have a sponsor. Is it OK
02. I told that I need "Social Security Number-SSN" Is it OK
03. I told I have Post Graduate Diploma but I am currently following the same. (this is my mistake)
04. If I feel, can I submit a new form to KCC.

Well, I sent back the forms to KCC indicating I wished to Adjust to Status. Thus, the second letter from KCC confirmed my decision to do AOS. It also asked me to send the DOS fee $375 so they can transfer my file to USCIS for processing once my number becomes current. I believe for people who will be doing CP, the second letter would confirm the date of their interview at a consular office.

no, i think it's not that fast, 'cause you have to finish all the medical examinations and the translations needed for (birth certificate, police certificate etc.), then your case will be current for an interview...

I did not say anywhere in my signature that my case is current for interview. I know that processing of 2011 cases start only after October 1, 2010 AND when your number becomes current. The NL2 for those Adjusting to Status will always confirm their decision to do AOS while NL2 is different for those doing CP.

The DOS publishes Visa Bulletin every 15th of the month for available visas for each following month, that is when one needs to apply (for AOS) or will be interviewed (for CP) ONLY if their number is current on that month. Of course, a person needs to have completed medicals or have acquired all the required documents before one can appear for their interview once their number becomes current.

When I go through this forum I find more questions, sorry for that

01. In DS230 form I kept blank the "Name and address of Petitioner" (for me and family) since I don't have a sponsor. Is it OK
02. I told that I need "Social Security Number-SSN" Is it OK
03. I told I have Post Graduate Diploma but I am currently following the same. (this is my mistake)
04. If I feel, can I submit a new form to KCC.

I am assuming that you will be doing Consular Processing (correct me if I am wrong). Its OK to have questions, we all have, here are my answers...seniors can chime in...:
1. The Primary Applicant (PA, who is the DV winner) is the petitioner, if it is you, you put your name on yours and on your family's form (each family member needs to complete and sign their own DS 230 while only the PA needs to complete DSP 122, dont forget to include 2 photos per person...many have argued we don't need to send photos, but KCC told me to, and I did and nothing bad happened). Petitioner is NOT the sponsor.
2. If you don't have a SSN and would like to have one once you to come to the US, then you can say so...yes it is OK.
3. DSP 122 question 6 specifically asks for "highest level of education COMPLETED". If you are still pursuing your Post Grad degree and have not completed it yet, then you need to indicate the degree you have completed (i.e., for example, Bachelors). You can indicate on the box below that you are currently pursuing a post grad degree. You can take all your transcripts (including the one for your post grad) and diplomas to the interview.
4. I think you can, but call KCC and confirm it with them, they may have a process that you need to follow through.

Good Luck

I am assuming that you will be doing Consular Processing (correct me if I am wrong). Its OK to have questions, we all have, here are my answers...seniors can chime in...:
1. The Primary Applicant (PA, who is the DV winner) is the petitioner, if it is you, you put your name on yours and on your family's form (each family member needs to complete and sign their own DS 230 while only the PA needs to complete DSP 122, dont forget to include 2 photos per person...many have argued we don't need to send photos, but KCC told me to, and I did and nothing bad happened). Petitioner is NOT the sponsor.
2. If you don't have a SSN and would like to have one once you to come to the US, then you can say so...yes it is OK.
3. DSP 122 question 6 specifically asks for "highest level of education COMPLETED". If you are still pursuing your Post Grad degree and have not completed it yet, then you need to indicate the degree you have completed (i.e., for example, Bachelors). You can indicate on the box below that you are currently pursuing a post grad degree. You can take all your transcripts (including the one for your post grad) and diplomas to the interview.
4. I think you can, but call KCC and confirm it with them, they may have a process that you need to follow through.

Good Luck

Thanks a lot Izzy, you are so kind.
Yes I do Consular Processing since I am in Sri Lanka.
This is a good chance for me, at least I can live in USA untill the Interview. lol

Hello Friends!
I have one dilemma and I hope to get an answer. As you know all dates in Asia or foreign countries are listed in DD/MM/YYYY format but dates for DS-230 are supposed to be listed on MM/DD/YYYY format. This caused an issue on birth certificate Vs. DS-230.
Meaning: In birth certificates DOB is listed as 03/04/2010 (DD/MM/YYYY) but in DS-230 we had to list this date as 04/03/2010. My brother has already send an e-mail to KCC about the format but have not received any response yet.
I wonder if this would cause any issues for further processing.

Thanks,

Hello Friends!
I have one dilemma and I hope to get an answer. As you know all dates in Asia or foreign countries are listed in DD/MM/YYYY format but dates for DS-230 are supposed to be listed on MM/DD/YYYY format. This caused an issue on birth certificate Vs. DS-230.
Meaning: In birth certificates DOB is listed as 03/04/2010 (DD/MM/YYYY) but in DS-230 we had to list this date as 04/03/2010. My brother has already send an e-mail to KCC about the format but have not received any response yet.
I wonder if this would cause any issues for further processing.

Thanks,

There is no need to worry, different countries have different formats for dates, and they are aware of it. Yes, you need to answer according to how it is asked on the form, and you did it right. So, there is no need to worry, they are aware of it. (Well, during the interview, your brother call inform (if questioned) the IO that DD/MM/YYYY is format used in your country and hence the difference, but I doubt they will raise any questions about this. Plus, the US embassy based in your country must be aware of the date format used there.)

KCC receives a lot of inquiries daily, give them at least a week before you get a response.