• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Congratulations lucky2011 and keepkeep!

I did the biometrics and an infopass yesterday. Guess hibernation mode just started in wait for the interview letter

@feel, why should we notify the bank of any potential status change? Does it make it easier to get loans, etc.. later?

@Enviro, I think all packages go first to NBC that schedules your biometrics appointment then get forwarded to the FO. In my case i don't see the message you mentioned. Instead it is: "On January 14, 2011, we received this I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case."

Reptile, May be for tax purpose....Non-residents ( F-1 )do not have to pay taxes on interest earned, however residents do have to...

Congratulations lucky2011 and keepkeep!

I did the biometrics and an infopass yesterday. Guess hibernation mode just started in wait for the interview letter

@feel, why should we notify the bank of any potential status change? Does it make it easier to get loans, etc.. later?

@Enviro, I think all packages go first to NBC that schedules your biometrics appointment then get forwarded to the FO. In my case i don't see the message you mentioned. Instead it is: "On January 14, 2011, we received this I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS, and mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case."

Acceptance
On October 12, 2010, your fingerprint fee was accepted and we have mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case. Please follow any instructions on this notice. Your case is being processed at our NATIONAL BENEFITS CENTER location. You will be notified by mail when a decision is made, or if the office needs something from you.

Hello All, I wanted to confirm with anyone if during the Acceptance phase of the LUD, did people had this status on the webiste. I wanted to confirm that if only some cases for I-485 are being processed at the National Benefits Center or all DV cases were initially processed there. This is message since October on LUD.

I am trying to find reasons why my case has not update since October.

Thanks
My online status showed the same thing until it changed to CPO. Online status does not really get any updates until then, except for some soft LUDs in some cases. But this does not mean that your file is at NBC. It was transferred to the local FO a long time ago.

The update I got from my lawyer last week, is that after seeing the repeated requests fax from USCIS , KCC finally sent my file to the USCIS Field Office. I have been told to wait 30 days before we make another enquiry from my local field office- to confirm they have recieved my file.

I am deseprately waiting for my Interview appointment later- its the 5th month after applying.

That's good news. I hope things will progress faster for you now.
Can you explain, did KCC and USCIS reply by fax to all your inquiries that were submitted by fax? Also, do you mean that the local FO sent you faxes with the requests that they had previously submitted to KCC?

So if we both apply for AOS at the same time, does it make sense at all for one to provide an affidavit of support for another?
voxx, you do not need to submit affidavit of support with your AOS package, but you may prepare one for the interview. It does not have to be signed by a citizen or permanent resident, even you can write one for her. But she must have at least a high-school degree to qualify since she is the main applicant.

Reptile, May be for tax purpose....Non-residents ( F-1 )do not have to pay taxes on interest earned, however residents do have to...
If you lived in US for at least 5 years, you are already considered resident for tax purposes and you pay taxes on interest. I did not have to inform the bank of anything when that happened.
The bank does not withhold interest unless IRS requires so because you failed to pay interest taxes in the past.

Thanks Baobab for clarification regarding taxes and interest. But I was considering F-1 who is here is US for less than 5 yrs.

Thanks Baobab for clarification regarding taxes and interest. But I was considering F-1 who is here is US for less than 5 yrs.

Feel, you are welcome, though I sense that it was not really a clarification. :)
I paid taxes both as a non-resident (first 5 years) and resident (several years), and I always received the 1099-INT form from any bank where I earned interest.

Your status affects how you file your taxes, but I cannot see how it affects your relationship with your bank. They still send you the 1099-int form in both cases.
They do not have to withhold interest for you if you are not subject to interest withholding by IRS.

I did not tell any of my banks when I had to file taxes as a resident, and I did not inform them of my new permanent resident status. I do not remember reading anything on this topic in the 2010 thread either.
Anyway, I am curios if anybody else informed their bank about their status change, and what was the reason for that.

Here is one case Baobab:

I do not receive 1099-INT because I filed W-8BEN with my bank and they do not withhold amount on interest earned (since I am a non-resident). So, it really depends. There might be other people who are in my situation and recently became LPR.
Bottom line is this:
If you have filled W-8BEN with your bank, you must notify bank within 30 days of becoming resident alien ( See the instruction for W-8BEN form available online).

Feel, you are welcome, though I sense that it was not really a clarification. :)
I paid taxes both as a non-resident (first 5 years) and resident (several years), and I always received the 1099-INT form from any bank where I earned interest.

Your status affects how you file your taxes, but I cannot see how it affects your relationship with your bank. They still send you the 1099-int form in both cases.
They do not have to withhold interest for you if you are not subject to interest withholding by IRS.

I did not tell any of my banks when I had to file taxes as a resident, and I did not inform them of my new permanent resident status. I do not remember reading anything on this topic in the 2010 thread either.
Anyway, I am curios if anybody else informed their bank about their status change, and what was the reason for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one case Baobab:

I do not receive 1099-INT because I filed W-8BEN with my bank and they do not withhold amount on interest earned (since I am a non-resident). So, it really depends. There might be other people who are in my situation and recently became LPR.
Bottom line is this:
If you have filled W-8BEN with your bank, you must notify bank within 30 days of becoming resident alien ( See the instruction for W-8BEN form available online).

Thanks for the explanation. I never heard of that form before. Obviously, I did not file it when I was considered non-resident for tax purposes and I always received the 1099-int form. At the same time, no bank ever withheld interest for me. So I wonder how come you filed that form? Was the bank withholding interest for you?

Whenever I opened a bank account I specified my (non-)resident status accurately, but I also always indicated that I am not subject to interest withholding. Banks always have that question. Did you ever specify that you are subject to interest withholding that you had to file that form?

Frankly, I do not understand why they would withhold interest for a non-resident alien who does not pay taxes on interest, but do not withhold interest for a resident that has to pay taxes on interest.

Yes, the KCC and USCIS FO correponded with Faxes. Yes the Local FO sent my lawyer the reply fax stating that they had repeatedly requested KCC to send them my file. And my Lawyer then forwarded that Fax to KCC. I never sent any faxes, my lawyer did. Now I have been asked to wait for 30 days before enquiring the my USCIS FO to know status my case.

Thanks for all your responses. I hope things start moving from now on for me.

That's good news. I hope things will progress faster for you now.
Can you explain, did KCC and USCIS reply by fax to all your inquiries that were submitted by fax? Also, do you mean that the local FO sent you faxes with the requests that they had previously submitted to KCC?

Hartford delay
I did not apply for OPT thinking that my interview letter was going to arrive soon. It seems it takes many months to process dv AOS in Hartford. My F1 status is expired and currently legal under AOS, Its too late to apply for OPT. What do I do to be able to work whist waiting for interview letter? is there anyway?................

Hey guys, I think we have to notify bank about our status changed to Permanent Resident. I remember once when payed taxes I went to bank and they sad to me that as far as I'm not a Permanent Resident I don't have to pay taxes from my bank interest. So I can assume that now situation changed and we have to be more careful with taxes from now on :).

Hi All, my wife won a lottery, i'm derivative (sponsored by her). I work, she's a housewife. We have enough savings in joint bank account, and I can show all my W-2s. Do I still need to file affidavit of support for her?

@voxx, I didn't prepared affidavit of support to my wife and my son, and we also have joint bank account. I think you can just take your bank statements to the interview for some case. It will be more clear if you have to do it or not from your interview letter. They will ask you bring that form in that letter if they will need one.

Hi Enviro,

I really hope your case will start moving forward soon.. Good luck.

Is it possible to ask your lawyer in your next meeting which fax numbers he used to contact the Jax FO and KCC? It is probable i might need them later in my process.

Thanks!

Thanks for the explanation. I never heard of that form before. Obviously, I did not file it when I was considered non-resident for tax purposes and I always received the 1099-int form. At the same time, no bank ever withheld interest for me. So I wonder how come you filed that form? Was the bank withholding interest for you?

Whenever I opened a bank account I specified my (non-)resident status accurately, but I also always indicated that I am not subject to interest withholding. Banks always have that question. Did you ever specify that you are subject to interest withholding that you had to file that form?

Frankly, I do not understand why they would withhold interest for a non-resident alien who does not pay taxes on interest, but do not withhold interest for a resident that has to pay taxes on interest.

Thanks for the answers feel and baobab. That's an interesting discussion. I need to confirm with my bank concerning these forms one day.

PS: I've been here for a year and a half and don't have a savings account so i think i should be fine even with the change of status.

GC format

This is just an observation - At the back of the green card they have miniscule portraits of all 44 US Presidents including Obama. It's pretty cool!

Last edited by a moderator:
:) You made me curious and I checked it out as well. I guess you really spent some time alone with your card studying it till you realized that :)

This is just an observation - At the back of the green card they have miniscule portraits of all 44 US Presidents including Obama. It's pretty cool!

Hello all, I had just received notification that my EAD has been approved. I was wondering usually how long does it take after EAD for I-485 to move to the next step (whether it's CPO or interview notice). Thanks.