• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Congratulations tahoe!! That is great news..

I was very interested to read your interview experience since you seem to be the only other one here with the same FO. I guess your IO could have been better but what matters is the end result. It was also nice to know that she didn't look for your affidavit of support. BTW, are you on F-1 and did she ask for W2's?

Yes, I've been on F1 for quite a while, working on my PhD. But the officer didn't seem to know as , at some point, she aksed me what job I had. No W2 or taxes questions at all.

thanks, yes, thats what my mom said today when she heard the news, happy for me , but kind of sad as this means that there is no chance for me to move back home.

I understand her, but if you say to her that I will be happier here, she will understand you since your happiness is something good for your mom... :)

Hi guys,

Is there anybody here with FO Los Angeles besides me?
I don't know if I should start panicking since I haven't got my interview letter by now.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot !! ^^

keepkeep

She knows that, but it's definetly sad for all the parents when their children leave home. This is life, the most important is that we are happy whereever we are.

I understand her, but if you say to her that I will be happier here, she will understand you since your happiness is something good for your mom... :)

So you are writing the affidavit for your wife? For 11 you could check either intend or do not intend, but you must specify how you intend to support her if you choose the former (e.g., room and board). For 7 I honestly don't know what to tell you, it's your insurance. Maybe this is a question for your insurance company.

Thanks for your reply.

Interview experience, FO: Memphis, TN

It has been a long a day and a surreal interview experience, not in a good way :)
My interview was scheduled at 9am. I arrived at the field office around 8:40am.

After passing the security, I went to the waiting room and dropped the appointment letter in the drop box that they had setup. After dropping the paper, I am waiting for my name to be called.
One thing that I noticed right away is that the office was rather crowded. There were about 45 seats in this waiting room and most of them were occupied when I got there. There was another larger waiting room as well, but I do not know what its purpose was, definitely not for interviews.

So I sit and wait and I look at my watch from time to time, and it's 9:30, then it is 10, 11, 12, …. By 11 I was already quite frustrated about the experience. Why do they set appointments if they do not keep them?

During this time, many people have gone through the interview and new ones were coming into the waiting room. I noticed even people that have been through the interview, left the room, and after some time returned. I assume they had to bring additional documents.
There was a lot of traffic. At least 5 or 6 officers, and people were going in and out every few minutes. Also, the room filled up even more, some people had to stand because there were no available seats.

While waiting, I chit-chatted with some people nearby who were waiting for a while as well. We noticed some people just coming in, and being called for the interview in just a few minutes.
We were trying to figure out if the type of appointment had any effect on the waiting time. But the people with whom I talked were either removing restrictions from their GCs (marriage based GCs are initially only for 2 years, and then you have to come to get the permanent one), or were here with naturalization applications.
But eventually these people were called for the interview and I was still waiting there.

I thought I needed more patience since I remembered lipna's experience and how she had to wait some time (I could not remember how long though).

By noon the room started to empty. By 12:30 only around 10 people were left and I was steaming inside.
I finally decided to approach the next officer that was going to open the door. One lady comes out and I mention to her that I am waiting for 4 hours and ask what is going on. She asked what type of appointment I have and goes to bring the remaining letters. I should mention that my interview letter was on plain paper. There were only four official type letters, like the ones for NOA. She cannot find my letter and asks me to give her a note with my name.

Less than a minute after that one other officer comes and calls me in. The interview was quite short. I think the officer was also just waiting to be done with it all.
After the oath, he asks me my name, address and SSN. Then he asks the yes/no questions.
As documents he asked only for my passport and took my I94 out, the original birth certificate (took a short look at it) and the notification letter for winning the lottery (though it was in the file in front of him as well). I see he enters my case number from the letter in the computer and tells me that he approves my case and that I should receive the card by the end of the month. As of this writing, my status has not changed to CPO yet.

The interview was only 6-7 minutes long, but the waiting before the interview was really frustrating. Somehow, the fact that they could not find my appointment letter made me feel better about the entire delay than if they were using some sort of priority for calling people in. I was ready to ask them why they set appointments if they cannot keep them, but they were very nice once I inquired about my appointment, apologized for making me wait this long, and there was noting more to say after that.

So that is it. A long interview experience to go with my long waiting time and long drive home.:)

Congratulations tahoe. Your interview seemed similar to mine, less my waiting time and you getting the CPO already. Advantage for you :)

Dear friends,

I'm back here to report on my interview this morning, in Philadelphia. It was very short - probably between 10 and 15 minutes. The female officer was nice but very short and dry, there was no room for small talk. First I took the oath and then she asked for the I94, passport and birth certificate (no word on the affidavit of support, though) . Afterwards she went through the main form and checked the basic info (name, address, parents' names, DOB, SSN, date of last arrival, place, addresses in the US, etc.) and asked me those yes/no questions. And that was it! She then said that I would get an answer during the next 4-6 weeks. It wasn't clear what kind of answer, which made me nervous, so I pushed for something more concrete and asked whether the response was going to be an envelope and she said "yes, the card is usually mailed in an envelope." "So, it will be a card," I said, to which she replied "yes" with no other comment. We shook hands and said a polite good bye. Honestly, the end was a little bit weird since she would have left me go without saying a clear word ... and I expected it. I was torn on my way home but the USCIS website shows that my case moved to the card production status. I guess this is good news, isn't it? I wish you all patience on this thorny road and the best of luck in everything you're doing.

Congratulations baobab!!... Sorry to hear that you had to wait a lot.. but... you're interview went well.... congrats again..

Congrats baobab, yes indeed it is frustrating to wait all that time and become more and more nervous, but when you get the end result, you forget about everything. Enjoy the freedom. By the way, we are flying to Romania this summer :) as now we don't need the visas anymore :)

pbz and natta, thanks. It took a lot of my day and screwed up my schedule, but I am glad that the entire experience is behind me.
I was not that nervous about the interview itself because there was no base for denial.

While talking with a Colombian guy in the waiting room, after the usual "where are you from" question and I tell him that Romania, he tells me that he has a lot of friends from Moldova. I was surprised that he knew the connection.

Natta, have you decided where you want to go? I guess you visited before?
I consider going back home for Easter, but I am not fully decided yet.
Even without GC, my H1B visa was still valid till 2012. But sure is good to go through the other line at the airport. I just realized that the IO took my I94, but he did not cancel or write anything over my H1B, so that is still valid.

We can take most of the discussion to PM, but I wanted to mention to you about the Colombian guy and his Moldavian friends.

Oh man, that must have been frustrating! They must have just forgot about you or ignored the unofficial looking letter. But it's all good in the end, you are done with this stage and will be getting your GC soon. Congrats! (By the way, did you drive all the way from Knoxville? TN is the longest state ever!)

It has been a long a day and a surreal interview experience, not in a good way :)
So that is it. A long interview experience to go with my long waiting time and long drive home.:)

My interview was scheduled at 9am.

Congratulations tahoe and baobab!

I have a baby and it would be very tough to manage her for such a long time in the queue. Hope in my case I will not have to wait such a long time :)

Congrats Natta and everyone else who got their GCs and interview letters. I'm STILL waiting :) But plan to do an infopass next week, just in case something got lost in the mail.

Hi forum friends,
Congrats to Baobab! I called KCC and our file was transfer to Newark FO on the 17 of Dec.. Also FBI sent results on the same they of the biometrics. So I guess i am right on track. Question to whoever did that wonderful spreadsheet: Do you think would be helpful to add a column so we can put the date that our file was moved to the local USCIS office so we can see if that has any relation with the interview dates?

Congrats brother. 4 hours is a long time must have been very difficult, and the thing is in these situations one wants to stay calm and keep it cool :p
well it is all behind,however, this community will leave us good memories. Feels like a long journey though short compared to other categories.
We had each other, lots of cyber friends and we had each others back :)

You'll get CPO soon, some busy offices sometimes report the CPOs in packages.

My interview was scheduled at 9am. I arrived at the field office around 8:40am.

Yeah, an infopass, if you have not done any, is a good thing to do to make sure everything is in order. Hope you get your letter soon.
Congrats Natta and everyone else who got their GCs and interview letters. I'm STILL waiting :) But plan to do an infopass next week, just in case something got lost in the mail.

Thanks, my feelings about the infopass are mixed as I did one , but no one could tell me anything, justa that our case is not out of their processing time, which is 4 months. But it depends from field office to field office , sometimes it does help to make an infopass. Good luck.