• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Dear pbz,

As a DV winner, the right form to use is I-134 if you are ever asked for one. Follow this link for confirmation kabul.usembassy.gov/im_affidativ_support2.html

Thanks for the link loula. I understand I-134 is the right form to use for us (thanks to boabab) although the interview letter says I-864. I was just trying to get a sense of if this comes up at all during the interview process, me being on a F1 as well (like armanio).

My letter does not include any list of documents, so I do not know how that list is worded. Does it actually say that item 1 applies to everybody?
We have many F1 applicants that do not have another job/income. So how do w2, employment letter, pay stubs apply to them? That list is very generic, it is not customized for DV cases, so it includes everything.

Yes, the letter says item 1 applies to all AOS applicants. The letter is indeed very generic, but as js7 pointed out, graduate assistants have w-2s, pay stubs, and can ask for employment letters. If F-1 students do not have assistantships, then the requirements obviously do not apply and they must rely on the affidavit, a huge bank account, etc. to show they will not become a public charge. What can I say, AOS is not an exact science...

Yes, the letter says item 1 applies to all AOS applicants. The letter is indeed very generic, but as js7 pointed out, graduate assistants have w-2s, pay stubs, and can ask for employment letters. If F-1 students do not have assistantships, then the requirements obviously do not apply and they must rely on the affidavit, a huge bank account, etc. to show they will not become a public charge. What can I say, AOS is not an exact science...

So are you implying an Affidavit would not be needed if you can show you have an assitantship as an F-1?

@ baobob

"We have many F1 applicants that do not have another job/income. So how do w2, employment letter, pay stubs apply to them? ".

I just want to add to your comments that F1 students who work as TA/GRA have W2, employment letter and pay stubs.

I know, I know, I have been a graduate student myself and I got a paycheck every month, and a W2 every year.
However, there was a discussion (much) earlier in this thread, I think before October, where some members on F1 mentioned not paying taxes because they had no income.
My wording was ambiguous because you can read it as if no student has any income. It should have read as "we have many F1 applicants and some of them do not have another job/income".
Anyway, I hope you got the essence of the message, that is, that the letter is generic and even the items that apply to all applicants, do not in fact apply to all applicants.

Thanks to loula for the additional link which mentions explicitly that DV needs only I-134. The instructions for the two forms state the same thing, just not explicitly.

So are you implying an Affidavit would not be needed if you can show you have an assitantship as an F-1?
Pbz, it is at the discretion of the interviewing officer to ask for an AOS. If your income is below or close to the poverty limits, it is better if you can bring an I-134 with you, just in case the IO asks for one. If you do not have one, it should not be a direct rejection. It will just delay your case until you submit the additional documents.

Hello everyone!
The interview went well. I wish I was as happy as I was expecting. This new year started with a very sad news for me: murder of 21 members of my church in Egypt by a suicide bomber who was chanting "God is Great! God is Great!". Anyways, the field officer was very nice. She went through all the basic info and questions in the application form. She asked for original I-20 and that was it! When I asked ,"So what is next?" She said that I should expect my GC by mail. She also let me keep my I-94 and OPT work authorization so that I can work until I receive my GC. I did not apply for work authorization based on AOS since I already have one based on OPT.

Good Luck to everyone!
Armanio, congratulations for the interview. Let us know when you get the CPO.

I am sorry to hear about your loss. Sadly, this is the world we live in. If I read it correctly, they were members of the same religion as you, but you did know them personally. This does not diminish the loss of life, but it should make it easier to cope with it.

Hi folks,

Does KCC always transfer the DV file to the field office after we take biometrics? or can it be transferred before?

1) There is a fingerprint check and a name check. Fingerprints are checked quickly, but name checks can take months sometime. These cases are rare though.

2) I believe the approval / card order has to occur before the Sept 30 deadline.

Hi Baobab,

I have seen the links from R2010 about I-485 Standard Operating Procedure

There are some thing about FBI check.

Do you think it would be helpful if I let them know that I have been FBI checked before for my H1B visa? or it make problem for my case?

thanks

Hi folks,

Does KCC always transfer the DV file to the field office after we take biometrics? or can it be transferred before?
Hi lucky,
There is no rule on this. It can be requested either before, or after. Depends on the FO.
Anecdotal evidence says that more often than not, it is requested after the biometrics. In a few cases, even after the interview.

Hmouse, lets be seriour, you think that you tell them that you have been checked for your H1B visa and they just skip the FBI check for you. I know I am being a little ironic here, but this is how things are.
Hi Baobab,

Do you think it would be helpful if I let them know that I have been FBI checked before for my H1B visa? or it make problem for my case?

thanks

Hi Baobab,

thanks
I do not know how you can do that. Your fingerprints are taken at an USCIS support center, and they send your fingerprints to FBI to check against their database. You do not interact directly with the FBI in this process. Moreover, the fingerprints check is very fast and it is either positive or negative. Not much gray area here.

The name check is the one which can take a long time, if there is a hit on your name (can be a false hit). I am not aware of anything that you can do to speed this up. In the past years, a few people have contacted their congressmen to try and speed things up. But that action is taken after you have waited for a while.

My comment in the previous post was just a thought that maybe the background check for your interview will be able to reuse some of the investigation that they have done for your H1B AP. However, I do not know how they operate internally and if this is actually possible or not.

Does anybody else know anything more concrete about this process?

Edit: Rereading your question after seeing natta's reponse, were you asking if you can actually tell USCIS to skip your background check? No, that is not going to cut it.

Last edited by a moderator:

If your assistantship puts you above the poverty guidelines. But much depends on your immigration officer, as baobab mentioned.

Hey, good luck to all with upcoming interviews!

What do I do?

My husband, the principal dv lottery winner is on OPT. My F1 visa expired a week ago. I did not apply for OPT and it's too late to do that now. Before changing to F1, I was on an F2 visa. In the AOS process, we are waiting for interview letters. What should I do now?Do I go back to F2 visa? if so, how do I do that. Do I just wait for the interview letter? Which I-20 do I present during the interview. I was issued a new I-20 to use for the application of my OPT but I decided not to pursue OPT. I want to know what to do to make sure I am in good standing. Thanks

dont i learn with another way i just in turkey , i sent my forms 15 agust but dont have a information for my case

Hi fenixco,
If you need help, I can try and I can write to you either in English or in Turkish.
This is a great forum and I have learned a lot from this forum.
Some members in this forum have great knowledge and it helped me a lot and I hope I can help you too.
If you need info in Turkish, you need to provide your e-mail address because there is no need to post anything, in Turkish, to this forum.

Thanks

My husband, the principal dv lottery winner is on OPT. My F1 visa expired a week ago. I did not apply for OPT and it's too late to do that now. Before changing to F1, I was on an F2 visa. In the AOS process, we are waiting for interview letters. What should I do now?Do I go back to F2 visa? if so, how do I do that. Do I just wait for the interview letter? Which I-20 do I present during the interview. I was issued a new I-20 to use for the application of my OPT but I decided not to pursue OPT. I want to know what to do to make sure I am in good standing. Thanks

From what I know, you are in good standing while the AOS petition is pending.
You may receive your interview letter anytime now. BTW, what is your field office?

Received CPO today.
Good luck to everyone!

Congratulations Armanio. Finally, somebody who got the CPO. The number of people waiting for CPO was starting to get large.

I wish good luck to the next batch of interviewees: natta, js7, tahoe.
I hope to see all of you as soon as possible on the other side of the AOS process.