• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

I485 Filing vs Current #

Hello to all,

I always understood you only must send your AOS Package to Chicago the first day of the month your number is current...
But now, looking in detail our consolidated spreadsheet, Ive seen people that sent the package before being current and accepted by USCIS Chicago!!!
Here some examples:
Psl2r - Current in November, AOS package sent on 10/1
Baobab - Current in November, AOS package sent on 10/14
Jr7 - Current in November, AOS package sent on 10/13
Hkaren - Current in January, AOS package sent on 11/15
Umuteren - Current in January, AOS package sent on 11/17

So then, what should we do so? Anybody has been refused for send the package befor being current or is just a "theory" or USCIS website.....
Thanks for help!

It is a fuzzy area, but they seem to accept applications once your number is up in visa bulletin. What was it, 50-60 days in advance?

Hello to all,

I always understood you only must send your AOS Package to Chicago the first day of the month your number is current...
But now, looking in detail our consolidated spreadsheet, Ive seen people that sent the package before being current and accepted by USCIS Chicago!!!
Here some examples:
Psl2r - Current in November, AOS package sent on 10/1
Baobab - Current in November, AOS package sent on 10/14
Jr7 - Current in November, AOS package sent on 10/13
Hkaren - Current in January, AOS package sent on 11/15
Umuteren - Current in January, AOS package sent on 11/17

So then, what should we do so? Anybody has been refused for send the package befor being current or is just a "theory" or USCIS website.....
Thanks for help!

It is a fuzzy area, but they seem to accept applications once your number is up in visa bulletin. What was it, 50-60 days in advance?

nnc: All of this cases Ive exposed have been accepted by USCIS before they are current...you can check on the spreadsheet.
I would understand USCIS is strict in its policy of "current" but, seeing this, I don't what to think really...Only if I listen a real story about refuse for send before being current, will trust in the policy...

Celinita,
like nncu said,
You can send your package to Chicago if your number shows up in advance notification. This issue has been discussed a lot here and also in the 2010 forum. What happens is it takes about 20- 30 days for you file to make it to you field office and another month to get your biometrics letter and do it and by the time you interview letter comes in, it is already Feb. You buy 2 months by sending your application in advance. This is the reason for advance notification anyways.

This is the common wisdom and like you said there are people here and tons of them in 2010 forum who did so. Do your own research tho and decide yourself.

nnc: All of this cases Ive exposed have been accepted by USCIS before they are current...you can check on the spreadsheet.
I would understand USCIS is strict in its policy of "current" but, seeing this, I don't what to think really...Only if I listen a real story about refuse for send before being current, will trust in the policy...

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with khayat 110%:)! in my case for instance: as soon as the VB was out, I sent my pkg. I will be current in jan 2011 and sure enough my biometric is 12/29/10!! check my signature!
Feb/2011 friends, it is your decision but do your research before! :)
Celinita,
like nncu said,
You can send your package to Chicago if your number shows up in advance notification. This issue has been discussed a lot here and also in the 2010 forum. What happens is it takes about 20- 30 days for you file to make it to you field office and another month to get your biometrics letter and do it and by the time you interview letter comes in, it is already Feb. You buy 2 months by sending your application in advance. This is the reason for advance notification anyways.

This is the common wisdom and like you said there are people here and tons of them in 2010 forum who did so. Do your own research tho and decide yourself.

Does KCC send any notification or confirmation of receipt after receiving DSP-122 via email or postal mail? I sent DSP-122 on 11/05, but did not get any notification from KCC. Please share your experience with me. Thanks in advance...

I got 2NL two months before I sent DSP-122. My lawyer told me not to send it because it was senseless. I didnt listen to him and sent it and as the result I got NOTHING. U r supposed to get 2NL after DSP but again, I got it without sending the form

Antin and sharminlee,

KCC needs to be notified of your intention to do AOS. There are two ways that this could happen: 1: sending the DSP-122 2: sending the DOS fee. Either way you are telling KCC that you are adjusting your status inside the US. While submitting the DSP-122 is optional, most of us have done it.

The reason Antin got NL2 before sending DSP-122 is that she had sent the DOS fee before that. For you Sharminlee, it might take around 2 months to get your second letter (NL2). However your case is a bit unusual since you don't know your case number and KCC refuses to give you more info because of security issues. If I were you I would call them again on Monday and explain that since you don't know your case number you can not send your DOS fee and also you don't know when your number will be current! try to get an answer. Tell them that you can give them your confirmation number and name, Birth date, address so they could make sure it is you.
Also, email them.

I got 2NL two months before I sent DSP-122. My lawyer told me not to send it because it was senseless. I didnt listen to him and sent it and as the result I got NOTHING. U r supposed to get 2NL after DSP but again, I got it without sending the form

Does KCC send any notification or confirmation of receipt after receiving DSP-122 via email or postal mail? I sent DSP-122 on 11/05, but did not get any notification from KCC. Please share your experience with me. Thanks in advance...

Thank you, R2010 and khayat.
Hm, it changes the picture, I guess the worst case scenario they might send the package back. Since I would be probably current in March I could send the package in the mid-January.

I agree with khayat 110%:)! in my case for instance: as soon as the VB was out, I sent my pkg. I will be current in jan 2011 and sure enough my biometric is 12/29/10!! check my signature!

They will send you 2NL confirming your intention to do AOS, but I doubt you will receive it soon. Like I said it might take up to 3 months. So, call and email KCC to know your CN. That is very important. After you know your CN everything will be on track, you can send your payment right away and get the receipt within couple of weeks. Good luck!

Celinita,
like nncu said,

Thank you Khayat!
So, after your post, I have like a new perspective of "to be current": the interview must be scheduled once you are current and not the AOS filing.
Im seriously thinking about the advantages as well as disadvantages of "buy 2 months" and the risks associated. I'm not sure how USCIS receives a case which was refused before...And I'm doing this process by my self without lawyer..

Nice weekend for everybody :)

Hi asinthaf,

This topic of high case numbers also is one the frequently discussed topics. practically this sort of numbers will all become current at the end of the fiscal year, there are two issues with this matter:
1: available Visa numbers might be exhausted: This has been very uncommon but recently USCIS has decided to start with larger numbers to allow more time for more people to benefit from the opportunity before the FY ends. So you never know may be this year, the visa numbers actually finish before the end of the year.
2: there is a chance that high number cases never get the chance to complete the process before September 30th.

The common wisdom again is that usually CP process is faster since it only has one step. Also consulates are very well experienced with DV cases. (considering that about 40000 DV visas are issued outside the US and only about 4000 are yearly issued inside US.)
However, last year USCIS was pretty good in speeding up the DV process at the end of the year. See DV 2010 forum, cases as high as 25000 managed to get their GC.

The choice is yours. However, have all of your other immigration options open.
hope this helped

Hi All,
my case number is AS32XXX, and I am planning to do AOS as I wont be able to travel to my country due to my current job. I assume AS32XXX is large number comparing to the case numbers I see on this forum.

will there be even a slight chance that this number will be current and leave me enough time for application process?

what was the biggest number for Asia who did a successful AOS in the past, if any one know?

is there any alternatives other than Counselor process?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to express my frustration here. I have not received biometrics letter yet. Has an infopass last week, they mentioned that Bio notice had been sent the sent same day(which is last friday). Since then I have been desperately checking the mail box but nothing today as well. Called USCIS today to make sure if they sent in correct address, and Of course they were of no help.....the guy I talked couldn't even tell me whether the bio notice has sent. I guess the wait continues.....................................

Hey Sundaram, I am sorry to hear that you still did not receive your biometrics letter. I think you (and perhaps docusync if his online status is accurate) are the most entitled to be frustrated with the speed of the process. It is not unheard of, but it is rare for the biometrics letter to take this long. On the other hand, looking at Antin and Tuscany's timelines, you may receive the interview letter very soon after.

I cannot say that I have a lot of advice for you. As ssj1 mentioned, try another infopass next week if you do not receive the letter. But maybe you are going to receive it this Saturday.

As a fun fact, I received all my important notifications from KCC and USCIS on Saturdays. This includes the 1st NL, the AOS NOA, the biometrics letter, and the interview letter. What is the chance of that?

Thnx a lot.

If you have valid H,L,V or K3/K4 Visa in your passport, you can travel while I-485 pedning.

Please see page 9(buttom) of the I-485 instructions.

Thnx a lot @ lisa and Khayat.
I just have a small query, after reading the instructions on I485 last page that if I send the package now 2 things i would like any of you to throw some light upon:

1. If I send the package now, will they encash the check in January or February or now.

2. Will they call for biometrics now or in February.

Thnx a lot guys once again..you guys are doing gr8 work..really appreciate it!!

You can get your answers by looking at our spreadsheet. Feel free to add your info in it.
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AiIES8k5SLbQdE9RLWxpX1pDa1FneS16cUs4ODFZSUE

Thnx a lot @ lisa and Khayat.
I just have a small query, after reading the instructions on I485 last page that if I send the package now 2 things i would like any of you to throw some light upon:

1. If I send the package now, will they encash the check in January or February or now.

2. Will they call for biometrics now or in February.

Thnx a lot guys once again..you guys are doing gr8 work..really appreciate it!!

Sundaram,

Here is what I think. I feel like each year they assign the DV cases to one i/o in each field office. The reason is that all of the applicants from one office are interviewed on the same day but different hours. looking at morsa and PLsr , you can see that even if the applicants are a months apart, they are interviewed on the same day. same story with NY people and with Baltimore.
This is why I don't know why you were not interviewed with Tuscany and Antin! You should have got at least the Biometrics long time ago.

Here is what I think you should do and I like others to chime in.
Make another infopass and get to the bottom of if a biometric was sent or not, if yes, tell them it is lost and then try to go and do your biometric as a walk in. It's been done before.
Other thing you can do is try calling 800 again using the technique explained here:

http://immigrationroad.com/resource/check-uscis-case-status-phone.php
use the third option which is talking to officer directly

and ask about the letters sent to you. Explain that you feel there might have been a problem with your mail delivery.

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to express my frustration here. I have not received biometrics letter yet. Has an infopass last week, they mentioned that Bio notice had been sent the sent same day(which is last friday). Since then I have been desperately checking the mail box but nothing today as well. Called USCIS today to make sure if they sent in correct address, and Of course they were of no help.....the guy I talked couldn't even tell me whether the bio notice has sent. I guess the wait continues.....................................