• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Update: received the welcome letter :)

Good luck to everybody who is still waiting for the interview letter! I hope you will get the letter, and pass the interview soon.

Hi,

I'm currently on F1-OPT status which expires in June 2011. My job will officially end on December 22nd, and I'm returning to school next Spring to begin my master. So my OPT will be ended and a new I-20 will be issued to me sometimes in early January. Would it be okay and safe to send my package next week (with current F1-OPT status) ? Or would it be safer to wait and file when I get my new I-20 and officially back to school.

I'm asking this because at the time of my interview, I will definitely no longer be on OPT (the status mentioned on my application if I file it right now). And I don't want the IO to be puzzled or confused. On the other hand, I do want to send my package next week and include my current employment letter and latest pay slips. Please advise. Thanks.

Well, don't send anything with I-485 package and take your new I-20 when you interview

It's not necessary to send I-20 or OPT staff like employment and pay stubs with your I-485 package

Well, don't send anything with I-485 package and take your new I-20 when you interview

It's not necessary to send I-20 or OPT staff like employment and pay stubs with your I-485 package

It is recommended to show that your non-immigrant status is good, so I would include copies of the last I-20 and the OPT card in the AOS package.
Pay stubs are not required, but those prove your financial stability, so it is better to send them.

@lucky2011, with the information I have, I would send the package next week with copies of the last I-20 and OPT card. At interview, you will bring all your I-20s, including the new one that you are going to obtain, and you can explain the situation if asked.

As long as you do not lie on your forms, and your status is valid, I do not think you can have any troubles.

Thank You Lisa

Incog06,

I am sorry if I have confused you but Lisa is right, seems like some visas are exception.

If you have valid H,L,V or K3/K4 Visa in your passport, you can travel while I-485 pedning.

Please see page 9(buttom) of the I-485 instructions.

Lucky,

I agree with Baobab, You should be ok applying before getting the new I-20. But I am not sure if they would issue you a new i-20 if you have a pending 485. Because when you get a new NOA, they will have a record of that in your SEVIS database and when you wanna apply for a new i-20, you current status (pending 485) will show up!
The question is, would they give you a new i-20 which is an extenstion of your non immigrant visa, while you immigration petition is pending. I do not know the answer

Hi,

I'm currently on F1-OPT status which expires in June 2011. My job will officially end on December 22nd, and I'm returning to school next Spring to begin my master. So my OPT will be ended and a new I-20 will be issued to me sometimes in early January. Would it be okay and safe to send my package next week (with current F1-OPT status) ? Or would it be safer to wait and file when I get my new I-20 and officially back to school.

I'm asking this because at the time of my interview, I will definitely no longer be on OPT (the status mentioned on my application if I file it right now). And I don't want the IO to be puzzled or confused. On the other hand, I do want to send my package next week and include my current employment letter and latest pay slips. Please advise. Thanks.

congrats psl2r,

can you update your visa type and put down where your interview experience (the page number in the forum) is in the spreadsheet?

Thanks

Update: received the welcome letter :)

Good luck to everybody who is still waiting for the interview letter! I hope you will get the letter, and pass the interview soon.

Hi 2011,

I understand your feeling but you can only apply in advance when you case number shows up in the advance notification. Now the advance notification for Feb shows EU 17500 and you are above it. There is a high chance that they will reject and send you back your package.
You can apply Jan 10th when the VB comes out.

We are still really early in fiscal year and you will be fine.

Hello. My number is eu17900, can I send my stuff on February or I have to wait march vb? I'm not in hurry, but want to get gc asap as everybody else ). Thanks

Natta et al.,

Here are my two cents regarding the expedite nature of the DV-based AOS applications. From what I read in the PDF file posted not long ago (http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/june_2009_agenda_with_responses.pdf) I have reached the conclusion that the Lockboxes, NBC, and FOs will do their best to bump DV cases to the front of the waiting line, but their aim is ultimately to get everyone through by the end of fiscal year, and not necessarily in 1 or 2 months. They will take extraordinary measures to process cases on fast track towards the end of the fiscal year, but approvals are still contingent upon other things, like security checks. See the response to question 3 and make up your own mind.

I think scheduling interviews also depends on the particulars of each FO. It seems like some schedule them right away and some put DV cases at the end of the line (I think mine does :). Average processing times for I-485s are around 4 months, so worst case scenario is you get your interview as any other AOS applicant. This of course becomes a problem when you are current only towards the end of the fiscal year. In that case making frequent infopass appointments, as some have suggested, would be justifiable, but I think it is overkill as of right now for those of us in the Oct-Nov boat. I would encourage people to make an appointment just to make sure things are on track, that no letter was lost in the mail, etc., but I agree that going there twice a months is probably pointless. I for one am planning to give it one more month and then make an appointment if still no letter. That would be approximately 3 months after filing my application, and 2 months after doing the biometrics, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to pat them on the shoulder at that time.

So Natta, I think you are doing a disservice to yourself by fretting over the interview letter. Like someone said previously, it will eventually get to you, probably when you least expect it. In the meantime I believe the best thing to do is get on with our lives and let the pieces fall into place. We can't worry about things we have no control over.

Hey Guys, I think that infopasses are now useless as they dont tell us anything , all they tell us is to wait and when they look at the date they say that the application was filed recently, compared to other I-485 pending. he processing time at my FO is of 4 months so they told me if nothing happens in 4 months, that is when we can go and do an infopass and request information on the case, till then, just wait.
P.S. Just checked the mail, nothing in for me :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Ditto... We do have the same FO as you know.

Natta et al.,

Here are my two cents regarding the expedite nature of the DV-based AOS applications. From what I read in the PDF file posted not long ago (http://www.uscis.gov/files/nativedocuments/june_2009_agenda_with_responses.pdf) I have reached the conclusion that the Lockboxes, NBC, and FOs will do their best to bump DV cases to the front of the waiting line, but their aim is ultimately to get everyone through by the end of fiscal year, and not necessarily in 1 or 2 months. They will take extraordinary measures to process cases on fast track towards the end of the fiscal year, but approvals are still contingent upon other things, like security checks. See the response to question 3 and make up your own mind.

I think scheduling interviews also depends on the particulars of each FO. It seems like some schedule them right away and some put DV cases at the end of the line (I think mine does :). Average processing times for I-485s are around 4 months, so worst case scenario is you get your interview as any other AOS applicant. This of course becomes a problem when you are current only towards the end of the fiscal year. In that case making frequent infopass appointments, as some have suggested, would be justifiable, but I think it is overkill as of right now for those of us in the Oct-Nov boat. I would encourage people to make an appointment just to make sure things are on track, that no letter was lost in the mail, etc., but I agree that going there twice a months is probably pointless. I for one am planning to give it one more month and then make an appointment if still no letter. That would be approximately 3 months after filing my application, and 2 months after doing the biometrics, so it wouldn't be unreasonable to pat them on the shoulder at that time.

So Natta, I think you are doing a disservice to yourself by fretting over the interview letter. Like someone said previously, it will eventually get to you, probably when you least expect it. In the meantime I believe the best thing to do is get on with our lives and let the pieces fall into place. We can't worry about things we have no control over.

Lucky,

I agree with Baobab, You should be ok applying before getting the new I-20. But I am not sure if they would issue you a new i-20 if you have a pending 485. Because when you get a new NOA, they will have a record of that in your SEVIS database and when you wanna apply for a new i-20, you current status (pending 485) will show up!
The question is, would they give you a new i-20 which is an extenstion of your non immigrant visa, while you immigration petition is pending. I do not know the answer

You raise a good point. I know that applying for an F1 visa stamp would be problematic to say the least, while your i485 is pending. The I-20 is an extension of your non-immigrant status, you are already in US. I would assume that you can maintain your non-immigrant status. Plus, the I-20 is released by your school, though they check your immigration history in SEVIS.

Lucky, You may contact your DSO at your new school and ask him/her if you can get a new I-20 after applying for adjustment of status, while you maintain your F1 status. I think they should know.

You raise a good point. I know that applying for an F1 visa stamp would be problematic to say the least, while your i485 is pending. The I-20 is an extension of your non-immigrant status, you are already in US. I would assume that you can maintain your non-immigrant status. Plus, the I-20 is released by your school, though they check your immigration history in SEVIS.

Lucky, You may contact your DSO at your new school and ask him/her if you can get a new I-20 after applying for adjustment of status, while you maintain your F1 status. I think they should know.

Thanks Baobab, I just called my university. And they confirmed to me that applying for green card would not jeopardize the issuance of my I-20. So, I should be free and safe to mail my package next week.

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to express my frustration here. I have not received biometrics letter yet. Has an infopass last week, they mentioned that Bio notice had been sent the sent same day(which is last friday). Since then I have been desperately checking the mail box but nothing today as well. Called USCIS today to make sure if they sent in correct address, and Of course they were of no help.....the guy I talked couldn't even tell me whether the bio notice has sent. I guess the wait continues.....................................

Hi Sundaram,

On rare occasions 'First Class' mail sometimes takes upto 3 - 4 weeks for delivery (although it absolutely should not). This has happened to me with certain checks I expected and I have got real mad at the sender not knowing that it was the post office at fault. So if you don't get anything after 7 business days make an infopass or visit the ASC and ask if there is a biometrics scheduled for you.

Hi Folks,

Just wanted to express my frustration here. I have not received biometrics letter yet. Has an infopass last week, they mentioned that Bio notice had been sent the sent same day(which is last friday). Since then I have been desperately checking the mail box but nothing today as well. Called USCIS today to make sure if they sent in correct address, and Of course they were of no help.....the guy I talked couldn't even tell me whether the bio notice has sent. I guess the wait continues.....................................

ssj1,

Thanks for the advice.

Hi Sundaram,

On rare occasions 'First Class' mail sometimes takes upto 3 - 4 weeks for delivery (although it absolutely should not). This has happened to me with certain checks I expected and I have got real mad at the sender not knowing that it was the post office at fault. So if you don't get anything after 7 business days make an infopass or visit the ASC and ask if there is a biometrics scheduled for you.

AS32xxx -- Please suggest !

Hi All,
my case number is AS32XXX, and I am planning to do AOS as I wont be able to travel to my country due to my current job. I assume AS32XXX is large number comparing to the case numbers I see on this forum.

will there be even a slight chance that this number will be current and leave me enough time for application process?

what was the biggest number for Asia who did a successful AOS in the past, if any one know?

is there any alternatives other than Counselor process?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello. What do you mean by to ensure they don't deny? Thanks

If you send your I-485 package before your case becomes current, they will return your package telling you that you're not current at that moment.

As soon as you see your number current, then you can send the package