• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

A little update, not I, as a primary applicant, but my wife received 4 text messages and emails regarding the I-485 application with 2 consequent receipt numbers. Is that normal? And does this NOA mean that our application does not have a problem?? Because I sent a one cheque for 2....

Hello All,

I have been reading the postings and they are really helpful. I have a brief question to you all.

I am currently on F1 visa, I am employed by the university as a graduate assistant, and will be getting my PhD in August. My number should be current in March or April and I can get an employment letter from the university at the time. However, by the time I am called for interview, I may be a recent graduate and thus have no employment. What do you think I should do in case I am unemployed by the time I am called for interview?

I think (1) you need to get affidavit of support from American citizen or permanent resident and (2) do what you would normally do before graduating - start looking for a job, and if you get a position you'll be perfectly fine for the interview. I believe you would try to find a job after graduation anyways, right? So you can just start sending your resume and stuff earlier. Good luck!

Hello All,

I have been reading the postings and they are really helpful. I have a brief question to you all.

I am currently on F1 visa, I am employed by the university as a graduate assistant, and will be getting my PhD in August. My number should be current in March or April and I can get an employment letter from the university at the time. However, by the time I am called for interview, I may be a recent graduate and thus have no employment. What do you think I should do in case I am unemployed by the time I am called for interview?

Thank you so much for this useful file Feel!
I already updated my field office, and will do it in the future when I'm current!

Hi Umuteren, I also received the same notice. The next day my checks were cashed and now when I check my # in the USCI web site, it is on the acceptance stage. Pehaps, next week, we both will receive our NOA in the mail!
A little update, not I, as a primary applicant, but my wife received 4 text messages and emails regarding the I-485 application with 2 consequent receipt numbers. Is that normal? And does this NOA mean that our application does not have a problem?? Because I sent a one cheque for 2....

God is great and greatly to be praised!!!
Please permit me start by thanking God for this great gift, FREEDOM AT LAST!!! I also want to thank EVERY MEMBER OF THIS UNIQUE FORUM, you ALL have helped me in more ways than one, I sincerely appreciate your kind words, contribution, advise, and perspectives. Together we ALL will achieve all that we can be in America. Everyone here will get his/her GC, it will happen, and we’ll ALL share in the joy together.;););)"

Dear Winners,

Congratulations to the few of us who already got their Greencard! Congrats to One, Tuscany, Sica, Antin and Newsbee! I wish u all the best in your new life! may your new life be full of joys! may every single year bring us even more luck and happiness!

Tuscany or Antin, did the IO stamp your passeport? if not, could you have asked for it? If he/she did, does it mea that u were approved?

guys, do u think i can bring someone with me? i would like my boyfriend to come with me to the federal buidling. He is American, he is not the second applicant!

Thank you for your answers
best of luck

Good discussion.

I think it is applying for i-485 not entering the lottery that matters. and I think the time you entered the US or applied for a new visa matters not extending your current visa. Anybody knows more to chime in?

The thing is they do require you to be in legal status before applying for AOS and lots of people extend their status to keep their status legal before applying right?

Dear Winners,

I cant reply to the first question cause i am really not sure.

Regarding the second question: Khayat is right: you need to be legal before applying to AOS. i would like to share my experience as it might be useful for some of us in a similar situation. I was on a J1 visa (internship) until November 12, 2010. When i applied on October 1, 2010, my visa was still current. thats what mattered. When you apply for AOS, the moment you mail your paperworks out, you have to be legal and have a visa before applying. Right now, my visa has expired. But i am not out of status. I already got the notice of acceptance. I am protected by the "umbrella of Adjustment of Status". it means that AOS is a sort of a status to define me right now to the US laws and regulations.

You can call the USCIS customer service or/and make infopass to get confirmation on that matter. They were very helpful to me. I was very worried going out of status and stay in the country while my case was in process. No need to call KCC. they cant help you with this. Another detail: people who win and are under the waiver visa program cannot apply for AOS. You are legally visiting the states but it is not a status that allows you to apply for AOS.

best of luck!

Dalerpulatov,

I will be at the USCIS NYC (infopass) next wednesday to ask about the court thing.

If anybody has any question they would like me to ask, please do not hesitate.

Hi Umuteren, I also received the same notice. The next day my checks were cashed and now when I check my # in the USCI web site, it is on the acceptance stage. Pehaps, next week, we both will receive our NOA in the mail!
Hi R2010, Thank you for your reply, I saw that they cashed the cheque yesterday, and it's on the acceptance status on USCIS's website.

NirvanaGrunger: Good luck with your interview on 11/29. Come back with a great news and do share it with us as soon as you can.
Best!

As to the discussion about current visa. I had this experience. I had an H1b that expired on the 23d of September. I had to apply for DV on October 1st. My lawyer told me that if we applied before the expiration (on the 22 for example), I would not have to renew my visa, but since it expired before the 1st I had to be legal. So, I had to apply for a new H1B to be legal at the moment I apply for GC. But in any case, even if it expired in October, I would still renew my visa because I dont like to risk. Anything could happen, I could be denied with GC. And with the new visa I had a backup. I felt calmer having one more option (my visa)

As to the discussion about current visa. I had this experience. I had an H1b that expired on the 23d of September. I had to apply for DV on October 1st. My lawyer told me that if we applied before the expiration (on the 22 for example), I would not have to renew my visa, but since it expired before the 1st I had to be legal. So, I had to apply for a new H1B to be legal at the moment I apply for GC. But in any case, even if it expired in October, I would still renew my visa because I dont like to risk. Anything could happen, I could be denied with GC. And with the new visa I had a backup. I felt calmer having one more option (my visa)

I wish we could renew J1 visa. My previous post regarding current visa might just address winners holding J1 visa. J1 cannot be renewed and related regulations request the non-immigrant to leave the states within 30 days after one's visa expires. For winners holding a J1, you can apply for AOS as long as your J1 visa is still current when you mail your application out. If your J1 visa expires while your case is processing, no worries. the 30 days rule does not apply. You are uder the umbrella of Adjustmet of status. And you actually have to remain in the states. You cannot travel unless you applied for I-131 and got approved for advance parole document.

Last edited by a moderator:
But if you are J1 you can either apply for B2 (tourist) or M or F - student. The first one is cheaper, doesnt allow you to work and travel but at least lets you be legal in the states. My advice to those, whose B or J visa is expiring before applying for I-485 is either to extend it (it's possible with B) or switch to a different one. But remember you won't get a GC or approval as long as you get you your extended or new visa. It was a big deal for me at the interview. They checked all my visas (I came with B2, then I extended it twice, then I got H1b and this year, i got the extension of H1b). I was waiting for my H1b extension to be approved since June. My previous H1 expired in September. When I applied I-485, my H1B application was pending. Till October I didnt get any answer. My lawyer told me if I didnt have my H1b approved at the interview time, the officer wont be able make a decision. He'll have to wait when H1b is approved. If it's denied - I wont get a GC. So, I had to pay 1000 for Premium Processing in October and got my H1b in the mid of October. My point is, if you current visa is expiring before applying for GC, switch to another visa ASAP and at least 6 months prior. Be aware, if you get denied with the new visa, you will be denied with the GC

What happens if you send your AOS package in the 30 days grace period of A J1 visa and have a B2 pending?
My husband's J1 expired on September 11, we send the AOS on September 30th and his 30 days grace period ended October 11th, but he has a B2 pending since August 4th.

He has to wait for his B2 to be approved to obtain his GC. While it's pending he is legal to be here but he is out of status. to get the GC he has to be in the status. He has to show the officer a NOT expired I-94, which he'll get once his B2 is approved. At the interview the officer will take away all you visa approvals, including the last valid I-94. I hope you'll get to CPO without the interview., It takes USCIS a long time to process the visa application. If you have the opportunity it's better to pay for PP to know the answer regarding B2 before the interview. Though Im not sure if you can pay for PP for B visas. U can for H though... When did you apply for B2?

Shoot! Since August! Can you check processing times at uscis.gov? They say what months they are processing now with B2 visas.