• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Yes I have an A number as I got my second work permit this summer so I have an A number
Natta,
i would not worry about the check cashed. your application is already sent to NBC when you get the acceptance. Did you have an A number?

Its a 'trick' you have to learn as there is no such option to directly speak with a live person, one way you can 'work' the automated system is by selecting the "request forms" option and by selecting the "don't know what form...." option which connects you to a person in the 'forms department' and just ask your question, that person may be able to answer your question or connect you to someone who knows more...hope this helps.
Hey Guys,

Which is the correct phone number to ask about AOS and OPT (Optional Practical Training for F1 students)??
I am calling the USCIS National number but there is not a menu to speak with a Customer Service

Hey Izzy, Thanks for the answer.

I have just talked with 2 representatives: They told me not need to apply for OPT since I applied for EAD.
And told me that till travel authorization I can not go out.

The other bad thing is I DID NOT receive any receipt YET! :(

Its a 'trick' you have to learn as there is no such option to directly speak with a live person, one way you can 'work' the automated system is by selecting the "request forms" option and by selecting the "don't know what form...." option which connects you to a person in the 'forms department' and just ask your question, that person may be able to answer your question or connect you to someone who knows more...hope this helps.

Congrats Tuscany

Khayat,

I am presently on F-1. It appears that this year they will be faster in processing the applications irrespective of the status class/type, my reason; i just received Form I-797C -Notice of Action (NOA) for my I-485, I-131 & I-765 applications. it was delivered to my mailbox at 2pm today. This is merely to encourage everyone and for us to keep our hopes alive and believe that the best is yet to come.

NirvanaGrunger,

You gotta remember that as an F student you are in the gray area. if during the process you use you EAD card. you will lose your F status and god forbid if you don't get you GC, you won't be able to fall back on your non immigrant status or apply for OPT.
You can not apply for OPT now that you sent your AOS application for sure since there is a conflict of intention here (non immigrant vs. immigrant).

Although, you will be able to apply for h1B or other dual intention visas if you fail in getting GC.

there is a low chance in not getting GC but i would not use EAD if i did not have to...

Good luck

Hey Izzy, Thanks for the answer.

I have just talked with 2 representatives: They told me not need to apply for OPT since I applied for EAD.
And told me that till travel authorization I can not go out.

The other bad thing is I DID NOT receive any receipt YET! :(

Hi Khayat,

I understand the issuue, so I will not apply for OPT.

What if I go to my homecountry and do Counselor Processing to get my GreenCard to gain time? I may quit AOS process and start CP process..Is it rational?

NirvanaGrunger,

You gotta remember that as an F student you are in the gray area. if during the process you use you EAD card. you will lose your F status and god forbid if you don't get you GC, you won't be able to fall back on your non immigrant status or apply for OPT.
You can not apply for OPT now that you sent your AOS application for sure since there is a conflict of intention here (non immigrant vs. immigrant).

Although, you will be able to apply for h1B or other dual intention visas if you fail in getting GC.

there is a low chance in not getting GC but i would not use EAD if i did not have to...

Good luck

Congrats to those who got their NOAs, and those who have not got it yet.. hang in there friends good news are on the way.

You have the right to do whatever you want with you DV until Sep 30th. Anytime you can switch. KCC has your application and you are in total control of it. As long as KCC has not sent you application to either any consulate or local offices you can switch between two processes.
You first have to withdraw you AOS application since you already sent it and request the CP process.

the CP vs AOS has long been of debate every year. while CP people usually get their GC faster with less steps and less hassle, AOS people have the luxury of staying in their status and states and continue their study or work while the application is being processed.
CP application is more simple but while the FBI check is being done, you do not get to come back to the country. that might take between few days (I have seen 4 days!) to months. Besides, if your CP gets rejected, you can not get non immigrant visa any more cause you showed you immigration intention
choice is your my friends
Hi Khayat,

I understand the issuue, so I will not apply for OPT.

What if I go to my homecountry and do Counselor Processing to get my GreenCard to gain time? I may quit AOS process and start CP process..Is it rational?

Hey Tuscany,

Did you have an A number? Your case number is really low too tho

Yes i have 'A' number but i honestly believe that it's not a function of the 'A' number or ones case number, there will always be a few hours or days between the prosessing times, the certain thing though is that all of us will get NOA, interview letter, and eventually GC. Time is the enemy but patience is the antidote. After waiting many years battling to be in status, being denied what i should have just because of my status, after all the barriers, the hinderances & the limitations, waiting a few more weeks or couple of months will not kill me, i will wait, its the FINAL hurdle. That's the way i have prepared my mind for this last few weeks.

I agree, some banks are slower to process a transaction, rest assured, lockbox has initiated depositing your payment hence you have a 'receipt no.'

Natta,
i would not worry about the check cashed. your application is already sent to NBC when you get the acceptance. Did you have an A number?

Last edited by a moderator:
how long out of US with CP?

Khayat,
thanks for your post. I was curious about your point re: not being able to be in US while FBI check is being done.. do you have more info on that?

Specifically, if I do CP, I'll travel to my home country for the interview, but AFTER the interview, can I go back to the US on a visa waiver (my country is on that list), or do I have to stay OUT OF THE US until ... what happens?

Any definitive answers on this? thanks a mil.

You have the right to do whatever you want with you DV until Sep 30th. Anytime you can switch. KCC has your application and you are in total control of it. As long as KCC has not sent you application to either any consulate or local offices you can switch between two processes.
You first have to withdraw you AOS application since you already sent it and request the CP process.

the CP vs AOS has long been of debate every year. while CP people usually get their GC faster with less steps and less hassle, AOS people have the luxury of staying in their status and states and continue their study or work while the application is being processed.
CP application is more simple but while the FBI check is being done, you do not get to come back to the country. that might take between few days (I have seen 4 days!) to months. Besides, if your CP gets rejected, you can not get non immigrant visa any more cause you showed you immigration intention
choice is your my friends

I don't think having a prior A# necessarily makes your process faster (especially during this early/preliminary stage). There is really nothing much to obtain if one has an A# based on OPT other than the fact that they have applied for OPT (which is basically a F1 'benefit') and their biographical info and some prior docs. If the A# were for prior I-485 filings based on some other criteria, then that would be another issue and hence, will in turn, probably take more time for them to locate/obtain the files from the holding office to see things in detail (which would happen at NBC). At lockbox, they will only look to see if there is already an A# assigned, if there is one, then they will assign a new one specifically for the purpose of this case (btw, I was assigned a new A#), and if there is not one, then they will create a new one. The only difference is it will most likely help save them some time to enter the G-325A info into their system which should not drastically delay your case in any way. I see your point about them having to enter all the info and feed the new docs into their system for the 'new ones' but I don't think that should be any reason for such length of delay.

And CONGRATS for getting the receipt no.! I am hoping that biometrics notice should start coming by the end of next week at most... Good Luck all the way to everyone!

Hey Armanio,

Thanks, I think you are right, It also depends on who processes your application.
One of the main things that lockbox does is the data entry using scanning and manual input. That might take longer if one has no info in their system. People with A number have a file already in the system.

could you setup your signature so we know what your status is?