• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

hi jfk,

When you go and do your interview, if you have all the required documents and police clearance and affidavit of support or funds..., the officer will accept your application and REQUESTS an immigrant visa to be issued to you. In order for that to be processed you need to be cleared by FBI for background check. depending on your age, sex,name,home country,history of being in the US and etc this process can take between few days to months.
in the meantime no non-immigrant visa is to be issued to you legally (work or study). As far as the visit goes, i think you should be able to visit if you don't need a visa. but I do not know that for a fact however, i do not see any point for visiting if you can not work or study.

Khayat,
thanks for your post. I was curious about your point re: not being able to be in US while FBI check is being done.. do you have more info on that?

Specifically, if I do CP, I'll travel to my home country for the interview, but AFTER the interview, can I go back to the US on a visa waiver (my country is on that list), or do I have to stay OUT OF THE US until ... what happens?

Any definitive answers on this? thanks a mil.

Thanks sundaram!

Congrats to Tuscany!!! I think we are missing a few people here who might have gotten NoAs...what happened to Frenchie and lisa6 (off the top of my head...) I wonder.

Izzy,

Congrats on the process so far, we'll all have good news along the way. Thanks for all you do to guide most of us in this process.

Hi Khayat,

I understand the issuue, so I will not apply for OPT.

What if I go to my homecountry and do Counselor Processing to get my GreenCard to gain time? I may quit AOS process and start CP process..Is it rational?

NirvanaGrunger,

I agree with the following:

NirvanaGrunger,

You gotta remember that as an F student you are in the gray area. if during the process you use you EAD card. you will lose your F status and god forbid if you don't get you GC, you won't be able to fall back on your non immigrant status or apply for OPT...there is a low chance in not getting GC but i would not use EAD if i did not have to...

and

You have the right to do whatever you want with you DV until Sep 30th. Anytime you can switch. KCC has your application and you are in total control of it. As long as KCC has not sent you application to either any consulate or local offices you can switch between two processes.
You first have to withdraw you AOS application since you already sent it and request the CP process.

the CP vs AOS has long been of debate every year. while CP people usually get their GC faster with less steps and less hassle, AOS people have the luxury of staying in their status and states and continue their study or work while the application is being processed.
CP application is more simple but while the FBI check is being done, you do not get to come back to the country. that might take between few days (I have seen 4 days!) to months...

and unless you don't mind losing the $1010 AoS processing fee and paying all the CP fees + new medicals all over again for CP, its really entirely your decision to make!

But, remember, do NOT assume that you will be alright (in terms of time) trying to switch from AoS to CP especially since you have already sent your AoS to USCIS, they may take their sweet time to "drop" your case even though you withdraw on time. Also, you need to 'fix' things with KCC for the switch which will take time, plus you will have to get in touch with the Embassy responsible for your CP to make sure they get your KCC file on time...If you haven't already gotten the hint, don't do anything to lose more time. Of course consider CP in case things go sour with USCIS regarding your AoS but you shouldn't really be worried IMO.

One: you cannot use AP to go to your home country and do a CP, you have to withdraw you AoS first,
Two: DV AoS process is much faster, try not to use AP or EAD (even though you apply for it) for reasons khayat mentioned earlier.

Good Luck!

Congrats Tuscany and Khayat and Izzy, I see you huys have good news already, hope to get the NOAs tommorow and hope the biometrics notices are on the way this week or next week.

Izzy,

Congrats on the process so far, we'll all have good news along the way. Thanks for all you do to guide most of us in this process.

Hi guys,

I just got the email and the text today !! Yay !! ^^
Btw, I'm just curious what is the content of the notification?
Is it the one with the scheduled Biometrics and Interview date?
Or we have to wait for another letter?
Thanks !!

God Bless You All !!

Here is our "light of hope" ;) Kudos my friend!
...Time is the enemy but patience is the antidote. After waiting many years battling to be in status, being denied what i should have just because of my status, after all the barriers, the hinderances & the limitations, waiting a few more weeks or couple of months will not kill me, i will wait, its the FINAL hurdle. That's the way i have prepared my mind for this last few weeks.

and THANKS! Plus, the pleasure is mine!

...Congrats on the process so far, we'll all have good news along the way. Thanks for all you do to guide most of us in this process.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet. Congrats pal :)

The biometric and interview is separate. depending on your case, it might take between one week to few weeks for NBC to send it to you.

Hi guys,

Thanks !!

God Bless You All !!

Congratulations!

The paper NoAs you'll get in a couple of days is a notice that your file is now being processed and also serves as a receipt of your $1010 payment. It contains the same receipt no. you got in your e-mail/text along with the date they got your AoS package and the date they generated the receipt/notice.

You will get a separate biometrics request letter and a separate interview notice letter in weeks to come.

Good Luck!

Hi guys,

Thanks !!

God Bless You All !!

Khayat,

I apologize for asking this so late in this whole process but I just can't get over my curiosity over your gender (plus all the others)...LOL since you know there has been much confusion lately...I would like to think that you are a guy but I may be wrong...I just wanted to get to know my pals better...so, so far i think:
Tuscany is a guy (90% positive)
Feel is a guy (100% positive)
Natta is a gal (100% positive) :D
sundaram is a guy (90%)
Lucky is a guy (50%)...sorry :(
keepkeep is a guy (not sure)...:(
Frenchie is a guy (90%)
nncu is a gal (50%)
zahidal is a guy...
dalerpulatov (I have no idea)...
reptile (guy?)
umuteren (guy?)
and anyone else I missed...please let us know, I can only remember a handful at this time....

Sorry, if its too personal for a question but I just wanted to be able to address a person correctly...

Hope y'all don't mind...:) :) :)
yeah nothing today either... I am hanging brother (or sister)
Good Luck with you application

Hey Izzy, I know what you mean, I feel like it is only guys around here and me and you the only gals :) Male dominated forum :)
Khayat,

I apologize for asking this so late in this whole process but I just can't get over my curiosity over your gender (plus all the others)...LOL since you know there has been much confusion lately...I would like to think that you are a guy but I may be wrong...I just wanted to get to know my pals better...so, so far i think:
sundaram is a guy (90%)
Frenchie is a guy (90%)
nncu is a gal (50%)
zahidal is a guy...
reptile (guy?)
umuteren (guy?)
and anyone else I missed...please let us know, I can only remember a handful at this time....

Sorry, if its too personal for a question but I just wanted to be able to address a person correctly...

I could check the case status of the application on the USCIS.gov. and on the i-485 forms it says "On October 8, 2010, your fingerprint fee was accepted and we have mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case." is it what it says on yours as well? Does that mean we should get the biometrics appointmenr soon?

You forgot me as a guy.

Also everybody can write their city : I stay in Los Angeles

Khayat,

sundaram is a guy (90%)
Frenchie is a guy (90%)
nncu is a gal (50%)
zahidal is a guy...
reptile (guy?)
umuteren (guy?)

natta,

Yes, it is the same for me too including the notice. Well, they cashed out the biometrics fee...so yes, we should expect biometrics soon as it is part of the 'process', at most by end of next week but don't be surprised if you get it sooner ;) ;) ;)

I could check the case status of the application on the USCIS.gov. and on the i-485 forms it says "On October 8, 2010, your fingerprint fee was accepted and we have mailed you a notice describing how we will process your case." is it what it says on yours as well? Does that mean we should get the biometrics appointmenr soon?

Khayat,

Tuscany is a guy (90% positive)........Feel is a guy (100% positive)
sundaram is a guy (90%)
Frenchie is a guy (90%)
nncu is a gal (50%)
zahidal is a guy...
reptile (guy?)
umuteren (guy?)

Khayat, I CONFIRM THE BALANCE 10%.....AM A GUY, A MAN!!! thanks.:):cool:

I hope so, because our field office is very small and does not process a lot of applications and with all my experiences with this field office things go very fast and smoothe as they are not that busy. I also have a very good friend from my country that went through exactly the same process and the same field office as he lives in the same town as me and said that the whole process was done for him and for his wife by december, so finger crossed. :)
natta,

Yes, it is the same for me too including the notice. Well, they cashed out the biometrics fee...so yes, we should expect biometrics soon as it is part of the 'process', at most by end of next week but don't be surprised if you get it sooner ;) ;) ;)