• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hi guys,

I just sent DSP 122 and DS 230 part (I$II) to KCC before 1 week and i haven't heard from them yet. I am already in the United states since last 1 and half year. I'm in legal status and attend the university full time. I'm from Nepal(ASIA) and my case number is pretty high i.e 2011AS00045***. So, when my case number becomes current? Or there is no any chance for this large CN. i'm planning to do AOS. So, i would greatly appreciate your efforts if you write some suggestion in this thread.

Thanks all of you in advance. i'm a DV 2011 winner.

Hi everyone, as I mentioned before I am going to send aos package about 3 months before my case number is going to be current( if like 2010 my number is going to be current in Sep, I will apply in April). I know officially we should apply for aos when the case number get current( a visa number get available) but my question is that in process of aos when USCIS actually need the visa number for their further processing. if visa number is needed lately in process of aos applying in advance could be better for winner with high cn like me! Isn't it? please correct me if I am missing something. I appreciate your help

I think you are unnecessarily asking the same Q, again and again thinking ppl's opinion here matters!
But pl remember its the USCIS standard procedure and the INA which matters eventually.

If you apply early , with my experience in this process I m certain that you got >50% chance of rejection. I am saying this knowing well the both extremes. I got a good friend DV 06, who applied i 485 in July 05 (yes July 2005), current only in July 06...and....APPROVED!. And past cpl of yrs I ve seen few more 'early apply-approval' cases. But its RARE. You can take your chances, its up to you. But my honest advise is DO NOT. You will become current late and no way you can refile if rejected. But its your call!

Regarding your security checks, one approach I ve seen in the past is go ahead apply for your own background checks so you are creating a record of you with FBI etc. ( I do not know how useful is this, but it does not hurt anything, do this few months, ~6 mos in advance of becoming current)

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

But this is different from this, http://www.fbi.gov/hq/nationalnamecheck.htm which the imm system use.

Also create a record with your state bureau of investigation by applying for your own report with them as well. Now do not ask me to prove it work, but i know it do not hurt!

btw, that other guy was in DV 2008 AoS only forum and i have no idea where that forum is burried, you got time....so dig !!

Good Luck !

Advanced notification of rank cut-off numbers for October

New visa bulletin is out.
Rank cut-off numbers for October are:

AFRICA 9,000
Except:
Egypt 5,550
Ethiopia 7,450
Nigeria 7,450

ASIA 9,000

EUROPE 9,600

NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 1

OCEANIA 350

SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 450

Good luck to those that are current in October. I missed the cut-off number by less than 50, but I am pleasantly surprised how high the cut-of numbers are. It seems that they are starting higher and higher every year.

Anyway, do not submit anything before October 1st.

October is out guys. As I expected the start is very high and the progression will be high too. Good Luck

Congrats and Good Luck to everyone current in October. I hope the progression rate is high for subsequent months.

Hi NuVF and all,
If my OPT card says it expires on 1/1/2011 does that mean I am legal until 11:59:59PM 1/1/2011 or a day before? I want to be sure about this thing. Please suggest.

Hi matin123,

I have done this myself and the process for general public (vs. USCIS) is generally slow (about 8-13 weeks processing time). Here is the link to FBI site with detailed info:

http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/fprequest.htm

Usually, you will need to go to your local police station to get your fingerprinting done (the fbi website has the fingerprinting card they want you to use), in my area this cost $5 per person. You send that in to West Virginia along with $18 payment to FBI and wait for about 8-13 weeks before you can get the results back. Please check the above website for detailed information.

Izzy,

I have also seen it in 2010 forum. But I didn't get one thing properly and that is how it can help an individual? Lets say, if I do this check and take the result during interview then they will not go for background check again .... I am also concerned as my CN is high and my name is a very common muslim name.

Hi feel,

You have 60 days grace period after the end of OPT to do one of the following:
1. Prepare for departure from the US,
2. Transfer to another SEVP certified school or change level and continue at current school, or
3. Maintain legal status by changing to another status

Hence, you are considered "legal" even after your OPT period ends as long as you use that period to do one of the above.

Visit ICE for detailed info here.

Hi NuVF and all,
If my OPT card says it expires on 1/1/2011 does that mean I am legal until 11:59:59PM 1/1/2011 or a day before? I want to be sure about this thing. Please suggest.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi zahidal,

I apologize if I misguided you which was not my intention. Name check is part of the AOS process regardless of whether you have done it before or not. One good advantage of getting it done beforehand is that you get to see whether your record is clean or not and get to challenge/correct errors that you know are not true beforehand. Again, I did mention in my previous post that this will only buy you "peace of mind". For eg., the guy (or gal?) from Iran was worried sick about it. I am NOT saying that every individual with a common name will have errors but it may be possible.

Izzy,

I have also seen it in 2010 forum. But I didn't get one thing properly and that is how it can help an individual? Lets say, if I do this check and take the result during interview then they will not go for background check again .... I am also concerned as my CN is high and my name is a very common muslim name.

Last edited by a moderator:
I applied for my OPT 60 days after my graduation so I already used up that grace period. Do I still get this grace period after my OPT expires?

Hi feel,

You have 60 days grace period after the end of OPT to do one of the following:
1. Prepare for departure from the US,
2. Transfer to another SEVP certified school or change level and continue at current school, or
3. Maintain legal status by changing to another status

Hence, you are considered "legal" even after your OPT period ends as long as you use that period to do one of the above.

Visit ICE for detailed info here.

Hi smitharik,

Congrats and Welcome to the forum!

The questions you asked and the answers to those questions have been discussed over and over in this forum. Please take the time to read this thread from the first page or at least go back a couple of pages. I am sure you will find more than you asked for.

Hi guys,

I just sent DSP 122 and DS 230 part (I$II) to KCC before 1 week and i haven't heard from them yet. I am already in the United states since last 1 and half year. I'm in legal status and attend the university full time. I'm from Nepal(ASIA) and my case number is pretty high i.e 2011AS00045***. So, when my case number becomes current? Or there is no any chance for this large CN. i'm planning to do AOS. So, i would greatly appreciate your efforts if you write some suggestion in this thread.

Thanks all of you in advance. i'm a DV 2011 winner.

Hi feel,

Yes, you get another 60 days after OPT expiration. If you are in doubt, you should ask and discuss this with your DSO.

I applied for my OPT 60 days after my graduation so I already used up that grace period. Do I still get this grace period after my OPT expires?

Can anyone tell me when can I expect to get my 2NL? I heard it is Fedex delivered. Is that correct?

Hi again feel,

Yes, it is fedex 2-days delivery. I waited a little over a month before I got my NL2. You can call and check with KCC about its whereabouts.

Good Luck!

Can anyone tell me when can I expect to get my 2NL? I heard it is Fedex delivered. Is that correct?

Izzy,
i see that you are highly knowledgeable in this area, please do you have the link to the numbers current in October 2010. My number is between 30 and 50 and i was wondering if my number will be current by October 1st 2010. Thanks. God bless

Hi Tuscany,

Here is the link to Visa Bulletin:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

The latest VB (September 2010) shows advance notification for October.

Please add your case details (case number, field office if known, date you received NL1, date you sent the forms to KCC, etc.) in your signature from FORUM ACTIONS>EDIT PROFILE>EDIT SIGNATURE and save, don't forget to check Show your Signature when you post messages.

Thanks!

Izzy,
i see that you are highly knowledgeable in this area, please do you have the link to the numbers current in October 2010. My number is between 30 and 50 and i was wondering if my number will be current by October 1st 2010. Thanks. God bless