• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hi, my case number is too high too (2011AS41xxx). I am under J1 status. I am going to do AOS but I am very concerned about AOS processing time. please share if you get further information, I will do this too. thanks

Hi, my case number is too high too (2011AS41xxx). I am under J1 status. I am going to do AOS but I am very concerned about AOS processing time. please share if you get further information, I will do this too. thanks

you may have to get J waiver also, chk that as well.
Is J dual intent? i blv not.
try convert it to an H so even if your DV go bad, you'll be safe.

Hi sundaram, could you please tell me what you mean of "everything must be completed"? Must we get green card or being interviewed or getting welcome letter before Sep 30, 2011? please clarify this. thanks

Hi Izzy,I am under J1 status in the us and I am going to do AOS. Regarding my high case number, you think how much in advance I should send package to Chicago? Can I do anything to expedite the AOS processing? Any other your advice appreciated.

thank you for your quick response. J1 is not dual intend but It is valid for more 3 years. so I think if your j1 is already valid applying for a while applying for green card will not denied your current status. that's why I am going to extend my j1 before applying for AOS. Am I right?

Dear members!

I have a question regarding Processing Time for AoS. I am really concerned about this and hope that you can share some of your ideas or knowledge.
Somewhere in this thread I've read that AoS processing time is taking 4 months, but when I checked the processing time of my local USCIS office it shows that they are only processing I-485 cases from January 2010, which means that it will take about 7 months for I-485 (AoS) to be processed in my field office.

So my question is: Does it mean that since my Case Number will become current in a Visa Bulletin it will take another 4 or maybe even 7 months only to get invitation for the Interview??? If this is the case then it's not quite fair that CP interviews in foreign countries are scheduled within 2 weeks since Case Number becomes current, but processing AoS within US since Case Number becomes current is taking 4-7 months. Am I missing something or this is the real scenario? If this the real case then it means that those who are doing CP may exhaust available visas in front of us, while we are waiting for the Interview at the local USCIS offices.

I will greatly appreciate if someone would share thoughts about it for the benefit of all of us doing AoS here in the US.

Dear members!

I have a question regarding Processing Time for AoS. I am really concerned about this and hope that you can share some of your ideas or knowledge.
Somewhere in this thread I've read that AoS processing time is taking 4 months, but when I checked the processing time of my local USCIS office it shows that they are only processing I-485 cases from January 2010, which means that it will take about 7 months for I-485 (AoS) to be processed in my field office.

So my question is: Does it mean that since my Case Number will become current in a Visa Bulletin it will take another 4 or maybe even 7 months only to get invitation for the Interview??? If this is the case then it's not quite fair that CP interviews in foreign countries are scheduled within 2 weeks since Case Number becomes current, but processing AoS within US since Case Number becomes current is taking 4-7 months. Am I missing something or this is the real scenario? If this the real case then it means that those who are doing CP may exhaust available visas in front of us, while we are waiting for the Interview at the local USCIS offices.

I will greatly appreciate if someone would share thoughts about it for the benefit of all of us doing AoS here in the US.

This is a really good question that I have always wondered too, I beieve (from reading the old threads and everywhere) that DV is supposed to be the most expedited process. When you check the processing time here: https://egov.uscis.gov/cris/Dashboard/ProcTimes.do for each local office, there is no choice to select for DV but now the I-485 pressing time for EB applications is about 4 months almost everywhere. Nowadays the processing is faster. if you go through 2010 thread there are lots of signatures that say sent their application in may and got the GC in August.
However while CP might seems to be a faster process, I believe it can also be a risky one. You have to also wait for clearance check which might take months as well. The downside is if you don't get your GC, then it will almost be impossible to get back to the country with a non immigrant visa since you have clearly shown your immigration intent. while at least in this process, your AOS "god forbid" will be rejected and you will do something about it in the country. Some people even say you can go back to your non immigrant status like F and get OPT...

anybody care to elaborate?

on a side note, i was checking and comparing the case numbers from last years, my assumption is, this year the case numbers are continues again meaning that the start case numbers should be high and the progress should be fast. (what I think)

Buttonline, it is a ris

Dear members!

edward1mel,
dv cases are expedited cases. they are not treated like relative petitions or other i485 applications. however, based on experiences from previous years' cases, the aos process tends to take a longer time in the early part of the fiscal year and speeds up near the end. yes, a typical 4 month wait is normal for low cn's.

Yes you are almost right, we need to get the final decision of AOS by the end of sept. 2011, which means you should pass your interview by that time. Looking at your case no. you will almost have 2 months to finish everything so make sure that you have everything and hopefully no RFE's.
Hi sundaram, could you please tell me what you mean of "everything must be completed"? Must we get green card or being interviewed or getting welcome letter before Sep 30, 2011? please clarify this. thanks

Sorry folks, I have been caught up with things that were no fun...hence the delay...

Hi khayat,

I agree with leongsce. Your CN is low and you will not have any constraints with time. You should only apply once the 2011 FY starts i.e., October 1, 2010. Other than that leongsce explained it all. I know the feeling, I just want to get it over with, for God's sake why do they call this a lottery except for the fact that our fate is randomly chosen by a COMPUTER!!???!! Just Kidding! :)

Hey fellas,
I was just reading through the 2010, I noticed that some people have take advantage of early filing, they filed up to 2 months a head (as soon as they realized their number is going to be current in a couple of months) then I again noticed others waited until the month of September to file. Does anybody know in more detail how is the possibility of early filing?

Thanks

Hi Moye,

I would like to believe that it is when the IO approves your case and puts the result in the NBC system and until you get something in writing (welcome letter or actual card) as a proof of LPR status. The GC will have the date when you became a LPR.

When does one become a permanent resident? is it right after the interview? or do I have to wait for some time?

Hi matin123,

I am sorry for my late response. I see NuvF and few others have given you some insight on your situation. Unfortunately, I am not that educated about J1, but make sure you are and will be in valid status and do whatever you can to maintain that status (is all I can say about J1!). There isn't any solid written guideline about how far in advance you can send in your AOS package. There have been instances where some applications have been rejected for early filing and luckily some were accepted. Based on ONE case from 2010, the application was rejected due to early filing, and in his the rejection letter it was mentioned that he can only apply 50 (or 60?) days in advance. Many say you can apply 90 days in advance but I don't see that written anywhere. Honestly, IMO, based on your CN, you should only apply when you see your CN current or CURRENT (usually in AUG/SEPT) in the advance notification of the VB. For eg., in July, they will have advance notification for AUG. If you see your CN current or CURRENT in AUG, you can send in your AOS (that will make 50 some days before your number actually becomes current). (current: when they show actual cut off numbers. vs. CURRENT: when all numbers are current).

I do not know about your situation but have you considered CP? Remember, you can always change to CP from AOS (by writing/calling KCC) when you think there is not enough time left.

There is nothing you can do to "expedite" your AOS processing, DV cases are handled differently than standard EB and FB cases, at the end of the FY, USCIS speeds up processing of cases (I have seen it is usually around 2 months).

Also, hold off on sending the DV Processing Fee and Medicals for now until it is around the time your CN is current. Say about 1-2 months before you are current. That will give you enough time to get the receipt and get all the tests done (do call Civil Surgeons to get an estimate on how long before they can give you your completed ME packtet).

Others please chime in if I missed anything...

Hi Izzy,I am under J1 status in the us and I am going to do AOS. Regarding my high case number, you think how much in advance I should send package to Chicago? Can I do anything to expedite the AOS processing? Any other your advice appreciated.

Hi edward1mel,

First of all, congrats on being selected for DV 2011 and welcome to the forum!

I agree with what leongsce and khayat have said. The processing times you are seeing are for standard EB and FB cases, I don't think there is an option for DV processing times. However, DV cases may take anywhere from 4-7 months to complete, as it depends on each case and on how intricate or simple a case is or sometimes, how busy the FO is or sometimes for no possible reason. Also, keep in mind that background checks may also delay a case (FBI usually returns name check within 48-72 hours if there is "no record" but it can take longer if they need detailed check or if your name is too common, etc., however, USCIS may "approve" a case if it has been pending for over 180 days and, if upon completion of the check, serious adverse information is discovered, USCIS may revoke the green card of the individual in question). Anyway, the bottom line is there are many variants that can delay cases.

From looking at and interpreting signatures and timelines of 2009 and 2010 folks, I have seen that DV cases are approved in as little as 2 months or delayed to over 6 months. Hence, there is no definite answer to how long the processing of a case may take. Of course CP is faster than AOS and CP folks are interviewed mostly on the same month they are current. But like khayat said, there are pros and cons to doing CP vs. AOS. Regarding exhaustion of visas, not all 50K visas are used up by the end of FY, the only problem is the time constraint.

Last but not the least, please include your case details (such as your CN, FO if doing AOS, date NL1 received and forms mailed, etc.) from your FORUM ACTIONS MENU>EDIT PROFILE>EDIT SIGNATURE>enter your details>save and don't forget to check the "show signature" box when you are posting messages. That will make it easier for us to answer questions...

Dear members!

Mis-Info Pass

Quoted from 2010 forum FIY

my Field Office is at SanAntonio, TX. When we went to infopass, the front desk man who gave us info about DV seems not nice. I was so discouraged. Seems very rude, not helpful. First he said "why u guys here, its too early for u guys to inquire". Then he said come to get the info once your number gets current "probably in October". Me and my husband were like : u son of B... , then I asked to him saying "to get info we have to come back again? then he went ahead and pull a pre-printed copy which has a list of things need to be done. Then he said send all the listed documents to Chicago when visa number gets current. He also said that there is no guarantee that u guys will get the GC, then he said "it's just a lottery". He seems very annoyed seeing us. I was so surprised and I told my husband (on the way home) that this is not how one should treat people. That man has job becasue of us, otherwise he will be one of those millions, unemployed people who got laid off. I was telling my husband that he should be thankful to us (entire immigration community), that because of us his job is secure.

Thank you all for your help.

Ah....just another 'Mis-InfoPass' saga!!

Just forget about it, those front line ppl do not represent the (mostly) hardworking, sensible ppl at USCIS.
But 'cos of them USCIS looses a big PR battle and the powers that be seems not privy to that idea at all.

Take it easy...consider it the HAZING you got getting into this DV Journey as a 'freshman'!!

This is why I personally discourage ppl going there at the 'beginning'....it is another matter if you go there when your case is some what down the road in the 'system'.
( I m not sure you said here you are going there, did you?, OR you found this afterward I bet)

For the beginners, finding this forum is the BIG InfoPass ever!!

Hi all!
I sent AOS fee using a personal check 5 days ago. Then I saw on the forum "do not send personal checks". What to do now? It will be OK? What is your experience with that?
Thank you so much!

Iata inca un roman pe forum! Bafta tuturor!

CN: 2011EU00003XXX

thank you Izzy,
actually cp for me too risky. as I am failed my chance for getting us visa again is too low. on the other hand as I am from Iran I am concerned about background checking which is usually too long for Iranian applicants; so I think applying in July would be late.have you seen anybody from Iran in these forums? thank you again for yr elaborative response.
Hi matin123,

I am sorry for my late response. I see NuvF and few others have given you some insight on your situation. Unfortunately, I am not that educated about J1, but make sure you are and will be in valid status and do whatever you can to maintain that status (is all I can say about J1!). There isn't any solid written guideline about how far in advance you can send in your AOS package. There have been instances where some applications have been rejected for early filing and luckily some were accepted. Based on ONE case from 2010, the application was rejected due to early filing, and in his the rejection letter it was mentioned that he can only apply 50 (or 60?) days in advance. Many say you can apply 90 days in advance but I don't see that written anywhere. Honestly, IMO, based on your CN, you should only apply when you see your CN current or CURRENT (usually in AUG/SEPT) in the advance notification of the VB. For eg., in July, they will have advance notification for AUG. If you see your CN current or CURRENT in AUG, you can send in your AOS (that will make 50 some days before your number actually becomes current). (current: when they show actual cut off numbers. vs. CURRENT: when all numbers are current).

I do not know about your situation but have you considered CP? Remember, you can always change to CP from AOS (by writing/calling KCC) when you think there is not enough time left.

There is nothing you can do to "expedite" your AOS processing, DV cases are handled differently than standard EB and FB cases, at the end of the FY, USCIS speeds up processing of cases (I have seen it is usually around 2 months).

Also, hold off on sending the DV Processing Fee and Medicals for now until it is around the time your CN is current. Say about 1-2 months before you are current. That will give you enough time to get the receipt and get all the tests done (do call Civil Surgeons to get an estimate on how long before they can give you your completed ME packtet).

Others please chime in if I missed anything...

Yes you are almost right, we need to get the final decision of AOS by the end of sept. 2011, which means you should pass your interview by that time. Looking at your case no. you will almost have 2 months to finish everything so make sure that you have everything and hopefully no RFE's.

Thank you sundaram, what is the RFE?