• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

Hi natta,

1. Yes, you will need to notify KCC about your decision. You may want to have it in writing i.e., send an e-mail. I am not sure if the $440 will be applied to the CP or refunded once you have paid for DV Processing fee at the Embassy. (For PA and Dependents)

2. I know main applicant can do AOS and the dependent can then do CP in the home country (once GC is granted to the main applicant). However, this has to be done by September 30, 2011. I am not sure if it works the same the other way around. Do keep in mind that if everything is not wrapped up on time, and only one has been approved, the other may have to go via Family Based route, which takes several years to complete.

My advice is, postpone traveling, but if you must, you can get Advance Parole/Travel Document along with your I-485 (after sending in your AOS package). Traveling prior to filing for AOS may cause unwanted hindrances (although I personally do not know of any, since many refrain from traveling). Your call.

Hi everyone. I have kind of a problem, so I have some questions that I hope I ca find an answer here.
1. Once you send the DSP-122 and the DS-230 for AOS for two people (husbnd and wife) and the AOS fee of $440 x2 is it still posible to do CP instead of AOS if the main applicant has to go home urgently?
2.Is it possible for the main applicant to do CP while his wife in the US does AOS.
Please help this is really important.
thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello, when you make the check to pay the Diversity Visa Fee who do issue the check to?... so... sending the DS-122 and DS-230 is one thing.. that is how you get the 2nd letter and paying the check is a separate activitie, that is how you get the receipt? then you will end up bringing those documents to your interview? yes??? do I undestand it right?

Payable to " U.S. Department of State". Do not send a personal check.
Check for the correct adddress as to where to send the cashier's check or money order on the website dvselectee.state.gov

Hello, when you make the check to pay the Diversity Visa Fee who do issue the check to?... so... sending the DS-122 and DS-230 is one thing.. that is how you get the 2nd letter and paying the check is a separate activitie, that is how you get the receipt? then you will end up bringing those documents to your interview? yes??? do I undestand it right?

Hi Moye,

You make the cashier's check or money order payable to US Department of State. Check the procedures here:

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/visa_4763.html

You will get the NL2 once your forms are received by KCC and processed into their system. The NL2 will contain instructions on how to pay the DV Processing fee and will contain a form called PC-160 (the same format you see on the link I provided above). Make sure you send the new fees $440 per person in effect since July 13, 2010 (if you have not already done so). Once you have mailed the payment form, they will send you the same form with "Paid on (date)" stamp on it. It does not matter when you mail in your payment for the DV Processing fee, as long as you do it on time to receive the receipt to include in your AOS package. If you are doing AOS, you will need to attach copies of these (NL1, Payment Receipt) to your AOS package, you may include NL2 if you want to. You will need to bring originals to your interivew.

Please include your case details (case number, local USCIS field office, if known (if doing AOS), date NL1 received, forms sent, etc.) in your signature from Forum Options> Edit Profile> Edit Signature and save, to give you better suggestions.

new to aos

Hi I am DV 2011 too. If I already sent back mail to KCC for choosing consular process, can I change back to AOS? How long does it take for AOS process? Thanks

Hi I am DV 2011 too. If I already sent back mail to KCC for choosing consular process, can I change back to AOS? How long does it take for AOS process? Thanks

You should contact KCC and ask them. AOS takes about 4 months from the time you case is accepted by AOS untill you get your GC

Hey fellas,
I was just reading through the 2010, I noticed that some people have take advantage of early filing, they filed up to 2 months a head (as soon as they realized their number is going to be current in a couple of months) then I again noticed others waited until the month of September to file. Does anybody know in more detail how is the possibility of early filing?

Thanks

Hey fellas,
I was just reading through the 2010, I noticed that some people have take advantage of early filing, they filed up to 2 months a head (as soon as they realized their number is going to be current in a couple of months) then I again noticed others waited until the month of September to file. Does anybody know in more detail how is the possibility of early filing?

Thanks

khayat,
this topic has been discussed to death in the 2010 threads. i can only advise per my own experience and what i gather from a year of participating in this forum.

apply only when you see your cn current in the 'advance notification' section of the visa bulletin. this is the safest option. you will not get rejected. but at the tail end of the fiscal year - aug/sept, time is critical. applying early is still a risk. however, uscis has rejected a case for applying too early (more than 60 days) and they have sent out a rejection letter to the applicant that he can apply only within 60 days. i take it that this MAY BE the guideline.

so eventually the choice is yours. if your cn is low you should take the safe route. if your cn is high and current in the last 2 months, then the choice is yours.

you have a low cn, you needn't worry. apply only when you see your cn current in advance notification.

good luck.

leongsce, thank you so much for your information. I already received NL2 that shows my intention for AOS. So can I change it to CP? should I pay DV lottery fee now($375)? As you said Asia become current at last month but visas used to be exhausted at AS25000; does this not mean that the last cn number would be 25000? I really appreciate your advice.

AS41***
NL1-May 5
NL2-Jun 28

leongsce, thank you so much for your information. I already received NL2 that shows my intention for AOS. So can I change it to CP? should I pay DV lottery fee now($375)? As you said Asia become current at last month but visas used to be exhausted at AS25000; does this not mean that the last cn number would be 25000? I really appreciate your advice.

AS41***
NL1-May 5
NL2-Jun 28

matin123,
i am not familiar with the cp process but i should think that the dv fee of $440 should be paid at your home country's embassy. you will need to contact kcc regarding switching back from aos to cp. check the 2010aos only forum for maila's posts. maila switched from aos to cp recently. you can read the procedures.

also if izzy can chime in here ... because she is now pretty familiar with the procedures.

each year kcc picks more than the total number of dv visas available (50000 or 55000). many people who win do not go thru the application process. and statistics has also shown that almost every year the visas are not used up, ie, they do not issue out 50000 visas at the end of sept.

your cn is a running/sequential number for the asian region. so it does not mean that you are going to get visa number 41xxx. your cn is for tracking when you will be current based on the visa bulletin.

Last edited by a moderator:
When does one become a permanent resident? is it right after the interview? or do I have to wait for some time?

Hi Feel, regarding visas availability, when bulletin says "Asia current", does it mean that for all case numbers in Asia visas are available? my case number is hight (41***) and I was told visas used to be exhausted at AS25000 so I want to know if I have any chance to get gc? Should I apply for AOS or come back and do consulate processing? thanks

Hi martin,
If it says current, trust me, all case number are current but that only happens usually at the end of fiscal year, like august/september.
Regarding AoS vs CP it is up to you. See AOS 2010 Only forum. There are lots of discussion on this issue. In general if your case number is pretty high I would suggest you go for CP rather than AoS. But as of today, who knows what number is high or low for FY 2011...we can just wait and see but definitely 2 is higher than 1.
Hi Feel, regarding visas availability, when bulletin says "Asia current", does it mean that for all case numbers in Asia visas are available? my case number is hight (41***) and I was told visas used to be exhausted at AS25000 so I want to know if I have any chance to get gc? Should I apply for AOS or come back and do consulate processing? thanks

Hi, My case number is AS41***.Regarding that my cn is high, You think when I should do DOS fee payment, Medical exams and sending package to USCIS. Other question; that "deadline is Sep 30, 2011" this means deadline for getting interview or welcome letter or green cart? thanks

Hi, My case number is AS41***.Regarding that my cn is high, You think when I should do DOS fee payment, Medical exams and sending package to USCIS. Other question; that "deadline is Sep 30, 2011" this means deadline for getting interview or welcome letter or green cart? thanks

What is your current visa?
What will be your USCIS field office? (did you chk, this, last yr ppl info of that FO?)
What is your home country? did you chk ppl DV exp at that embassy?
You should consider CP.
Do not send your DoS payment yet (just dsp122), you can decide next yr and send it.
Consider CP, that will be better, but answer above then ppl could advise you better.

Best!

Your DV approval should be 'finalized/approved' and a visa # issued in the DoS visa issue system.
Nothing physical as far as AoS is concerned, but for CP, above action means they print your visa stamp right away.

thank you leongsce for your quick and useful response, some things are not clear for me: 1-that "deadline is Sep 30, 2011" is this deadline for getting interview appointment or being interviewed or getting welcome letter or green cart itself?
2- Can I do anything to expedite my AOS processing. As I am from Iran this process still might take more time.
3- Assume that Asia become current in September, does this mean visas for all Asian winners are available now? and how much in advance should start to apply for AOS. Sorry for many questions

@matin123

Phew!!...Iran.
Well, I blv I did not see any AoS ppl for 09, and 10.
But I vividly remember the 'saga' the guy in DV 08 went through with his AoS.
Pl do not get alarmed, his # got current months before the end, but DV issued only on Sept. 27th 08.
He got stuck in security cleranace. Even his local FBI wanted him to visit them. But his lawyer adviced him not to, something like that.

Here is a task for you.
Locate DV 2008 AoS only thread and see whether you can id that person, toward the end.

My best advise, try get more info on Iran specific DV AoS and CP the best you can.
CP is what I advice, but you have to decide pretty fast. I remember Ankara post schedule your intvws months and months in advance, and cannot change easily.

Best !