• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

As I read the 2010 AOS forum, I found out that there is nothing 100% safe when the topic is immigration ( it is a broken system) . I will wait until I see my # becomes current and submit the pckg (~ 50 days before). But it is a risk I decide to take it.

As I read the 2010 AOS forum, I found out that there is nothing 100% safe when the topic is immigration ( it is a broken system) . I will wait until I see my # becomes current and submit the pckg (~ 50 days before). But it is a risk I decide to take it.

r2010, sagarghimire,
yes, no avenue is absolutely safe. but those who submitted their app within the 50 days timeframe did not get their app rejected. so statistically it is safe to send in your app when you see your number current in advance notification. those with low cn, like r2010, needn't have to worry. time is on your side. it is those that will turn current near the tail end that time is of the essence. we all know the process takes a long time. but fortunately and hopefully uscis works faster near the end of the fiscal year. therefore if someone is current in sept and only submit their app in sept is risking his chance of getting his gc.

Hi, leongsce
Yes they returned all documents that my attorney sent to them. You are saying that I must RETURN my DSP 122 to KCC, but I didn't get one in my 1NL. But I have bar code there and notice above it that I have return it to KCC with DSP 122 and DS 230, but as far as I know that form needed only for whom choosing CP not AOS. And I've got 2NL the same as others who sent DSP 122.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, leongsce
Yes they returned all documents that my attorney sent to them. You are saying that I must RETURN my DSP 122 to KCC, but I didn't get one in my 1NL. But I have bar code there and notice above it that I have return it to KCC with DSP 122 and DS 230, but as far as I know that form needed only for whom choosing CP not AOS. And I've got 2NL the same as others who sent DSP 122.

luganskman,
if you got your 2nd nl, i believe your lawyer would have filed your dsp122. does your 2nd nl say that kcc acknowledges your intention to do aos? if that's what you got then your lawyer has sent in the ds122. yes the ds230 are meant for cp applicants.
did they return your check?
if they did, then good for you. if not then you need to pay again when you re-submit.

luganskman,
if you got your 2nd nl, i believe your lawyer would have filed your dsp122. does your 2nd nl say that kcc acknowledges your intention to do aos? if that's what you got then your lawyer has sent in the ds122. yes the ds230 are meant for cp applicants.
did they return your check?
if they did, then good for you. if not then you need to pay again when you re-submit.

Yes they returned my check back. What about my lawyer - when I sent her a letter asking her : "Did we filed DSP122 Form to DOS? I can't remember it.", she answered that "No. DSP122 is for the application for an immigrant visa overseas, not inside the US."
I think that KCC assumes that you intend apply for AoS based on form PC-160 that you send them back with your checks. And fees $365 ($440 new) called Adjustment Of Status Fee Payment.

@leongsce, i can see from your signature that you mailed the AOS package to Chicago on May 18. There is something i dont get: according to the DOS website that ends with "bulletin_4805.html" (still cant post web links), only advance notifications for people with case number less than 19,550 were available in May. But your case number is 25xxx. How come you were not rejected? Glad you werent :)

Also do you know of anyone who had trouble when changing address in the middle of the process? As mentioned in this forum, the system seems to be already broken. The last thing i would like to handle is some address complications on top.

reptile

2011AS00016xxx
May 06, 2010: NL1 received from KCC (Dated April 28, 2010).
May 14, 2010: DS-230, DSP-122, Barcode and Two Photos sent to KCC.
May 14, 2010: Postal Money Order (375$) + SASE + Information sheet sent to DOS.
May 21, 2010: Receipt obtained from DOS (Dated May 17, 2010)
June 11, 2010: NL2 received from KCC (Dated June 04, 2010)
Waiting for the end of month to change address and then send the fee difference.

Yes they returned my check back. What about my lawyer - when I sent her a letter asking her : "Did we filed DSP122 Form to DOS? I can't remember it.", she answered that "No. DSP122 is for the application for an immigrant visa overseas, not inside the US."
I think that KCC assumes that you intend apply for AoS based on form PC-160 that you send them back with your checks. And fees $365 ($440 new) called Adjustment Of Status Fee Payment.

luganskman,
great to hear that they returned your check.
since you have time, i suggest you fill up ds122 and send it in. for me i sent both ds122 and 230 to kcc, better safe than sorry. but ds230 not required for aos applicant. the $365 (440) fee is the dv lottery fee not the aos fee. the aos fee is the one they returned ($1010).
you have time ... so i suggest you read the '2010 aos only' thread posted by 'blue'. it gives you some good info about the process. for you it's to double check that you are on the right track.
if you have other questions, just post it and we'll try to help.

@leongsce, i can see from your signature that you mailed the AOS package to Chicago on May 18. There is something i dont get: according to the DOS website that ends with "bulletin_4805.html" (still cant post web links), only advance notifications for people with case number less than 19,550 were available in May. But your case number is 25xxx. How come you were not rejected? Glad you werent :)

Also do you know of anyone who had trouble when changing address in the middle of the process? As mentioned in this forum, the system seems to be already broken. The last thing i would like to handle is some address complications on top.

reptile

2011AS00016xxx
May 06, 2010: NL1 received from KCC (Dated April 28, 2010).
May 14, 2010: DS-230, DSP-122, Barcode and Two Photos sent to KCC.
May 14, 2010: Postal Money Order (375$) + SASE + Information sheet sent to DOS.
May 21, 2010: Receipt obtained from DOS (Dated May 17, 2010)
June 11, 2010: NL2 received from KCC (Dated June 04, 2010)
Waiting for the end of month to change address and then send the fee difference.

reptile,
yes, i took the risk and sent in more than 50 days in advance. according to summet (one of the forumer who got rejected), his rejection letter stated that we can apply 60 days in advance and that's coming from uscis. i also took into consideration that i am at the end of the fiscal year and hoped that they will be more accommodating.

in your case, you've already got your 2nd nl and receipt. the next step is waiting. so you have time to change your address and monitor the change. after the change i suggest calling them to confirm that your address is the new one.

reptile,
yes, i took the risk and sent in more than 50 days in advance. according to summet (one of the forumer who got rejected), his rejection letter stated that we can apply 60 days in advance and that's coming from uscis. i also took into consideration that i am at the end of the fiscal year and hoped that they will be more accommodating.

in your case, you've already got your 2nd nl and receipt. the next step is waiting. so you have time to change your address and monitor the change. after the change i suggest calling them to confirm that your address is the new one.

@leongsce

What FO and what is your current visa?

You were in the forums long enough to understand the pros and cons of 'early filing'
BUT....toward the end is the time DV applicants need to be v v careful, than taking chances with the 'accommodating' nature of the unknown and un predictable 'beast' !!

Let me stress this once more for those who are reading.......Acceptance, NoA, Chk Cash, Bios HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH that your case is 'ok' (yes even to the fact your filing is early or not). It is the IO at the FO who eventually take up your case has the final say....and his 'accommodating' nature is your worst enemy....if you think you did not follow the 'standard' procedure!!

SO...

Pl follow the 'standard procedure' which seems the one working with USCIS for DV i-485 and you all will be ok.

Good Luck !!

Hi,
I am from Taiwan and I am working in USA under F1/OPT. I am wondering do I need to have Police Certificate for I-485?

Thank you very much!
I-Kuan

Hi, welcome to the forum and congrats on winning!

No, you do not need to have Police Certificate for I-485 unless you have been arrested (in which case you will need court records). There is a thread for new DV winners which may be helpful to you, although it is from 2006, most of the information still applies:

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?215048-DV-winners-please-read-this-first-!-General-Info

Hi,
I am from Taiwan and I am working in USA under F1/OPT. I am wondering do I need to have Police Certificate for I-485?

Thank you very much!
I-Kuan

@leongsce

What FO and what is your current visa?

You were in the forums long enough to understand the pros and cons of 'early filing'
BUT....toward the end is the time DV applicants need to be v v careful, than taking chances with the 'accommodating' nature of the unknown and un predictable 'beast' !!

Let me stress this once more for those who are reading.......Acceptance, NoA, Chk Cash, Bios HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH that your case is 'ok' (yes even to the fact your filing is early or not). It is the IO at the FO who eventually take up your case has the final say....and his 'accommodating' nature is your worst enemy....if you think you did not follow the 'standard' procedure!!

SO...

Pl follow the 'standard procedure' which seems the one working with USCIS for DV i-485 and you all will be ok.

Good Luck !!

nuvf,

i have always expressed my thoughts based on personal opinions and always encourage readers to make their own educated decisions. each case is different and everyone should weigh their own benefits and risks when attempting to do their thing.
but since there are no guidelines in what is early filing, i take it that uscis' rejection letter to summet which they stated to him the 60 day limit as official as it can get.

......but since there are no guidelines in what is early filing....

Well, the guideline for DV 'early filing' was established some 11 years ago (chk the past bulletins), in '99 I think with the DoS VB CONCEPT of 'Advanced Notification' for DV applicants.

The problem is, the applicants (NOT the USCIS or DoS) misinterpreted this 'rigid concept' into a 'rigid time scale' !!

If you go check the 'old' bulletins, 99 & 00 you will find that in those VB s there is current month and 'advanced notice' for further 2 months into the future, hence a ~90 day lead time.

But then later up until now they started publishing only 1 month into the future as 'advanced notice', the 'concept' did not change but the lead time scale did !!

I do not want to get into any arguments here, but for other potential 'early filers', my kind request is...understand the CONCEPT: 'You file when you see the number in VB advance notice, irrespective of the lead time advantage' (now it is ~50, who knows it might in the future go up down, DoS decide the VB issue 'timing', applicants just need to follow the 'established concept')

Best !