• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

I received my receipt for the $375 that I sent. I will send out the $65 difference today or tomorrow.

I do not understand when people say "when your number becomes current". What does that mean? Where do i check if I am current? Is there a site?

Also, what are my next steps? Preparing and making my i-485 and supporting docs ready to send to Lockbox? But i can't do that until my number is current right?

The Department of State publishes Visa Bulletin every month which will determine the allocation of available visa numbers to immigrants. For DV selectees, this number is based on their case numbers. Look at the link below:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

For example, look at August 2010 VB under "B. DIVERSITY IMMIGRANT (DV) CATEGORY" which will show you the allocation cut-off numbers for that month and advance notification for the following month. Visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number as shown on the VB. For example, the allocated cut-off is 28,700 for Asia for the month of August, which means only those with case numbers below the cut-off number can apply as visas are only available to them at this time. It also shows advance notification for September which shows "CURRENT" for Asia which means, ANYONE can apply regardless of their case numbers, and this will be based on first-come first-served. As we are nearing the end of FY2010, it is not unusual to see "CURRENT" for all areas as all 50,000 visas must be issued by September 30, 2010. The VB usually comes out around every 15th of the month. August 2010 VB just came out yesterday. You may want to refer to older VBs to get a gist of when you can expect to become current for FY2011.

You don't necessarily have to wait for your number to become current to prepare for your AOS. You can start the process whenever you want with the exception of Medical Examination (which is valid for only 12 months) and most people do it around the time they become current. But you can start collecting all other documents now. But you can only send the complete AOS package when your number becomes current. There is a lot of debate about sending in the AOS package in advance. It is not really written in stone but some 2009 and 2010 folks with high CN and current around the end of FY have sent in 50 days in advance (for example if you are current in August, you will know so around June 15th with the advance notification for August which will give you about 45-50 days) and these folks have been fine. As, I stated earlier, this is not written in stone and is just my observation.

On the same note, FY2011 has to start for you to send in your AOS package, those with low CNs and expecting to become current in October 2010 can only send in their AOS packages on and after October 1, 2010 as this is when FY2011 officially starts.

I received my receipt for the $375 that I sent. I will send out the $65 difference today or tomorrow.

I do not understand when people say "when your number becomes current". What does that mean? Where do i check if I am current? Is there a site?

Also, what are my next steps? Preparing and making my i-485 and supporting docs ready to send to Lockbox? But i can't do that until my number is current right?

Last edited by a moderator:
New DV Lottery Fee - My Update

I called KCC again and without any questions asked (by me) the rep. told me that they have received the fee and I will need to send the difference. The process of payment is same as mentioned by others in the forum i.e., include completed PC 160, cashier's check or postal money order for the difference, with DV case number noted on the check or money order, and a self-addressed stamped envelope and send all addressed to:

U.S. Department of State
Diversity Visa Program
P.O. Box 979079
St. Louis, Missouri 63197-9000

Do I need to go to the local USCIS office?

CN: 2011AS00024XXX (F1, AOS)
05/10/10:Received NL1 from KCC
05/28/10: Mailed DS-122 + Barcode + 2 photos to KCC
07/02/10: Received 2nd NL from KCC
07/12/10 DOS fee sent

I think it's up to you, but it might me worth going there at least once. You can make an appointment from InfoPass.

07/12/10 DOS fee sent

Well, its your call. This issue has been addressed before in this thread and in DV 2010 AOS Only thread, so definitely read through to decide if any good will come out of your going to USCIS as each case is unique. In terms of AOS, KCC will not have much information to provide you except to ask you to call/visit USCIS, and since not all USCIS reps. are that informed about DV cases, they will not give you a crystal clear idea about it except to ask you to come back when your number is current or at best, they will send you home with a bunch of AOS forms. We have seen such when people have actually gone to USCIS per KCC instructions. The DV 2010 and 2009 AOS only guys have done a great job in providing us with some direction. So, definitely read these threads, there are unique cases and situations which may apply to you, questions being asked and answered which I am sure will help you in the long run. The bottom line is that they want to make sure if you are eligible to Adjust to Status (which is if you have been admitted to the US legally, and have maintained your status since, have had no criminal records, and hence forth). It does not hurt to go visit your local USCIS, but I won't be surprised if you had the same story to tell. Good luck.

07/12/10 DOS fee sent

Just got second letter from KCC. it took them while. it's dated from June'28, but i got it July'13.

Ready to send money to DOS!

Do I have any problem to leave(AUG) and come back(SEP) to U.S. at this point?

Thank you for your information, Izzy120. =)

07/12/10 DOS fee sent

Hey guys, will it be a problem with a fact that I didn't send my DS-122 form to KCC after 1NL? I've got my 2NL however and Receipt from KCC (based on my payments I guess). And as far as I have a family (I applied for all of us in DV program), how KCC will transfer my case to USCIS? How KCC will discover where to transfer my case (in which office) and how they will relate my family to my case?
Tomorrow I'm going to send additional payments for DoS ($65 *3). Maybe I should include that form that I didn't send before?
Any thoughts?

Hey guys, will it be a problem with a fact that I didn't send my DS-122 form to KCC after 1NL? I've got my 2NL however and Receipt from KCC (based on my payments I guess). And as far as I have a family (I applied for all of us in DV program), how KCC will transfer my case to USCIS? How KCC will discover where to transfer my case (in which office) and how they will relate my family to my case?
Tomorrow I'm going to send additional payments for DoS ($65 *3). Maybe I should include that form that I didn't send before?
Any thoughts?

luganskman,
i noted from your signature that you sent in your package too early and got a rejection notice. 2011 winners should only send in their applications starting oct 1. and wait for your cn to be current first. yours may be current in oct. even if you are current in oct, only send in your application on oct 1.
you must return your ds 122 to kcc. on that form you will have to state that you intend to adjust status and you need to fill in 'bcis' in one of the spaces. you will receive a 2nd nl to confirm that you are adjusting status and kcc will no longer handle your case and uscis will take over. you will also be asked to send a copy of 1st nl to nearest uscis office to where you live. where kcc will transfer your case will depend on your local office requesting for your file. so when you are current your local office will request for your file from kcc for your interview. they will also be in possession of your i485 application transferred from nbc/msc/vsc (the service centers).
did they return your check for aos application?

Will I have any problem to leave(AUG) and come back(SEP) to U.S. at this point?

Thank you for your information, Izzy120. =)

07/12/10 DOS fee sent

Karen127,

Are you meaning this year Aug/Sept? If so then there should not be any problem. You should not go outside of USA when you submit the i485 form and from your case number I think you are allowed to send i485 next year (2011).

FYI

Following 'old' thread contains precious and timeless info!!
If it helps, pl make sure you send a 'thank you' note to the original author of the thread.

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?215048-DV-winners-please-read-this-first-!-General-Info

Best !

PS:

I made the following request to the moderators by a PM, can you all too do the same?;

Recipient Users: Rosie74;asPapi;Immigr8

Hello there,

Following 'old' thread (first few posts by the OP) contains precious and timeless info!

http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?215048-DV-winners-please-read-this-first-!-General-Info

Can you pl make it a sticky?

Thanks!

Hi,
Were you current on May 18th when you sent your AOS package?

luganskman,
i noted from your signature that you sent in your package too early and got a rejection notice. 2011 winners should only send in their applications starting oct 1. and wait for your cn to be current first. yours may be current in oct. even if you are current in oct, only send in your application on oct 1.
you must return your ds 122 to kcc. on that form you will have to state that you intend to adjust status and you need to fill in 'bcis' in one of the spaces. you will receive a 2nd nl to confirm that you are adjusting status and kcc will no longer handle your case and uscis will take over. you will also be asked to send a copy of 1st nl to nearest uscis office to where you live. where kcc will transfer your case will depend on your local office requesting for your file. so when you are current your local office will request for your file from kcc for your interview. they will also be in possession of your i485 application transferred from nbc/msc/vsc (the service centers).
did they return your check for aos application?

Hi,
Were you current on May 18th when you sent your AOS package?

feel,
there are 2 schools of thought here - those who submit their application in the 90-day timeframe and those who submit in the 50-day (when you see your cn in advance notification of visa bulletin). infact there are some who submit in more than 90 days. the first one has it's risks. they may reject your application for filing too early. the second one is definitely safe. this is a decision you will have to make. but remember that the new fiscal year for uscis starts only in oct. therefore even if you are current in oct, you can only mail in your package to reach them on oct 1.
i am current in aug.