• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2011 AOS Only

I think, most of us don't even have the fancy to select our own FO. We just go by the FO chosen by USCIS.

You mentioned couple of time that you did mistake this and that...asked for the wrong FO...etc.

But looking at the timeline, you nailed it best. I see no mistakes. 6 weeks from start to finish is great. I don't think anyone here has done better.

Probably the fact that you were current since Oct, did move the screws faster as far as scheduling your interview. As everything else is pretty much normal. I think the only variable is the IL (interview letter).

Keep us posted!

I think, most of us don't even have the fancy to select our own FO. We just go by the FO chosen by USCIS.
USCIS site was showing Lawrence FO for my county, so whether I chose it or it would've been that even if I wrote Boston FO we don't know. (not much info here but working toward my 15 post, that 500 chars limit on the signature is unpleasant.)

I still can't remember whether we have any provision to write the name of FO in any form. Anyway, did you check with KCC whether your files are transferred to USCIS? If the files are already transferred, you should get your GC in real quick time. Best of luck for your upcoming interview.

USCIS site was showing Lawrence FO for my county, so whether I chose it or it would've been that even if I wrote Boston FO we don't know. (not much info here but working toward my 15 post, that 500 chars limit on the signature is unpleasant.)

You do not have a choice on the FO. The FO is selected based on your zip code. You are in fact lucky to be assigned to the Lawrence FO because the Boston people waited months for their interview letters.

Well the FO is not SOLELY based on one's zipcode. In my case, my zipcode automatically zoned me to a FO that didn't didn't handle DV winners... So hopefully the Lawrence officers deal with DV cases.

Well the FO is not SOLELY based on one's zipcode. In my case, my zipcode automatically zoned me to a FO that didn't didn't handle DV winners... So hopefully the Lawrence officers deal with DV cases.

I remember that they scheduled you to the wrong FO. The take away is that you still did not have a choice of FO for either interview. NBC should have checked that the assigned FO handles DV cases. On the other hand, I do not know how many FOs do not handle DV cases and why not. It looks like Holtsville is a very new FO and that might be the reason.

Out of curiosity, if you go to https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=LO and use the search by zip code tool, which FO is assigned for your zip code?

I remember that they scheduled you to the wrong FO. The take away is that you still did not have a choice of FO for either interview. NBC should have checked that the assigned FO handles DV cases. On the other hand, I do not know how many FOs do not handle DV cases and why not. It looks like Holtsville is a very new FO and that might be the reason.

Out of curiosity, if you go to https://egov.uscis.gov/crisgwi/go?action=offices.type&OfficeLocator.office_type=LO and use the search by zip code tool, which FO is assigned for your zip code?

When I type in my zipcode it says Holtsville. My worry is that NBC doesn't realize that some FOs don't handle DV cases. So they just assign or, in his case, gives the choice of the wrong FO based solely on zipcode.

Hi guys! Here is some update about my situation. As some of you may remember I submitted all the docs to Chicago on April 18, 2011, and never heard back from them. I called them on Thursday (May 19) and was told my receipt number and that I should expect my check to be cashed soon and that I should be waiting for the Notice of Action. A couple of hours later I decided to check my number of the USCIS website and found out that my documents were rejected a day before (May 18). This is strange that the officer that I talked to didn't know about it.

Today I got my documents back with the rejection letter. Here is what they say in the letter:
Based on the information you provided, you priority date could not be established. Please resubmit your application with the proper documentation to the address listed on the bottom of this notice.
The following documents may be provided:
your original form I-130, (Petition for Alien Relative) if you are filing concurrently; or
Your original Form I-360, (Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant) if you are filing concurrently; or
A copy of your form I-797, (Notice of Action) if the petition has been filed/approved; or
Other evidence that an immigration visa petition has been filed/approved on your behalf.

So, my question is - WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

Here is the list of the docs that I submitted (just in case):

Form I-485 - Application to Adjust Status.
Personal check of $1,070 - Filing Fee for I-485 ($985) and Biometrics ($85).
Two identical color photographs.
Form G-325A - Biographic Information.
Form I-693 - Report of Medical Examination in sealed envelope.
Form I-765 - Application for Employment Authorization.
Copies of Notice of Actions for Employment Authorization - total 3 NOAs.
Copy of EADs - total 3 EADs.
Copy of DV2010 1st Notification Letter - Selection Letter from DOS, KCC.
Copy of Barcode Page from KCC.
Copy of 2nd Letter from KCC - Acknowledging intention to apply for Adjustment of Status.
Copy of Receipt of AOS Fee Payment of $440 to Department of State.
Copy of Passport - Relevant Pages.
Copy of Last I-94 - Front and Back.
Copy of I-20 form from the University of Alaska, Anchorage.
Copies of nonimmigrant US Visas - 5 visas.
Copy of Birth Certificate with Certified Translation.
Copy of High School Diploma with Certified Translation.
Copy of University Diploma with Certified Translation.
Copy of Driver's License.
Copy of Social Security Card.

So, my question is - WHAT DID I DO WRONG?

Here is the list of the docs that I submitted (just in case):...........

In your i-485 Part 2 a-h, what did you select?
May be your selection there is wrong.

Also you had lot of unnecessary stuff in there. Item#s 7,8,10,11,16 (just the latest visa), 20 & 21.
Include your current job/income/ or bank a/c details to avoid a request for i-134.
someone pl give him the more 'pertinent' list he needs to include.

Best!

Last edited by a moderator:
In your i-485 Part 2 a-h, what did you select?
May be your selection there is wrong.

Thanks, NuvF! In my I-485 Part 2 I selected H (Other basis of eligibility). I wrote there - Diversity Visa Lottery Winner. Letter attached.

As for my current job - I got an EAD for OPT (Optional Professional Training) for one year (it expires on July 7, 2011) after my graduation program but I opened my own small business and I work there. What should I include in this situation, besides bank statements?

Again, thanks a lot for your input! :)

Thanks, NuvF! In my I-485 Part 2 I selected H (Other basis of eligibility). I wrote there - Diversity Visa Lottery Winner. Letter attached.

You should have noted there your DV CN clearly too

As for my current job - I got an EAD for OPT (Optional Professional Training) for one year (it expires on July 7, 2011) after my graduation program but I opened my own small business and I work there. What should I include in this situation, besides bank statements?

F1 OPT EAD - 'self employment' is gonna be bit tricky. Did you reg. your business with the state with activity clearly stating something relevent to your F1 degree? be ready to prove that, and also the fact that you were 'actively' involved in it. Not necessarily showing a cash flow. but that you were 'active'.

For the intvw. make sure you got a i-134. Just send some bank balance with the i-485 pack.

Anyways, you need to dbl chk everything and resend the pkg asap.

btw, why did not you consider CP?

Again, thanks a lot for your input! :)

You should have noted there your DV CN clearly too

Where would I put the CN (is this my case number, right?) in there? There is not my room there. I put it on my cover letter (twice), plus include all their letters of notification in the docs.

F1 OPT EAD - 'self employment' is gonna be bit tricky. Did you reg. your business with the state with activity clearly stating something relevent to your F1 degree? be ready to prove that, and also the fact that you were 'actively' involved in it. Not necessarily showing a cash flow. but that you were 'active'. For the intvw. make sure you got a i-134. Just send some bank balance with the i-485 pack.

Anyways, you need to dbl chk everything and resend the pkg asap.

You are absolutely right, I have to act fast because my number is EU00022XXX. I just don't want to loose another month because I did something wrong, like the first time.

btw, why did not you consider CP?
What is it?

Nuvf , you are wrong and barking at the wrong tree - i think. The self employment or excessive docs submitted is totally not the issue. I also thought the problem was wrong selection, but he confirmed that he selected h, and wrote DV selectee/winner.

Also there is no need to put there the CN because there's no space and even if you add a page, it is irrelevant at that point as the Dv letter is attached and provided.

Then i thought maybe the number was not current, but I read that it is EU22000 which was current in April and theoretically he could have mailed the package around February 9th.

kamsable, you say that you sent the package April 18...so you were 100% current on the date they received it and theoretically could have been even interviewed in April and get the GC, provided everything else is good.

So, me thinking that you go rejected by sending it too early is also wrong...even officer that do not understand the advanced notification should have accepted your app...

Bottom line, i think it was rejected because the accepting officer did not understand the DV eligibility. They know I-140 for EB, and I-130 for FB, and other is the I-360, that's about 99.9% of I-485 cases...So they didn't see and I-797 that shows some app is pending or approved, so they rejected the I-485 as it lacks support. I think there's nothing you need to change except sending it again as is.
just bad luck that you got such un-knowledgeable officer.

Hey kamsable,

add a signature and also put you info on the spreadsheet:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tNhB2CVZoq1u42Zedti0PLw&hl=en&authkey=CKu6h5UN#gid=0

Where would I put the CN (is this my case number, right?) in there? There is not my room there. I put it on my cover letter (twice), plus include all their letters of notification in the docs.

You are absolutely right, I have to act fast because my number is EU00022XXX. I just don't want to loose another month because I did something wrong, like the first time.

What is it?

Bottom line, i think it was rejected because the accepting officer did not understand the DV eligibility. They know I-140 for EB, and I-130 for FB, and other is the I-360, that's about 99.9% of I-485 cases...So they didn't see and I-797 that shows some app is pending or approved, so they rejected the I-485 as it lacks support. I think there's nothing you need to change except sending it again as is.
just bad luck that you got such un-knowledgeable officer.

Thanks, Yoni123. I added my signature although I've become kind of superstitious about it. Seems like not much to learn from my case :(.

PS Shouldn't I be seeing my signature now? :) I don't see it here for some reason, although it is saved in my profile.

I am thinking about another possibility. Are you the only applicant to submit I-485? Or, you also have dependents? If you have dependent and you checked "h" option in his/her I-485, then it is a legitimate reason for rejection of AOS package.

Thanks, Yoni123. I added my signature although I've become kind of superstitious about it. Seems like not much to learn from my case :(.

PS Shouldn't I be seeing my signature now? :) I don't see it here for some reason, although it is saved in my profile.

I am thinking about another possibility. Are you the only applicant to submit I-485? Or, you also have dependents? If you have dependent and you checked "h" option in his/her I-485, then it is a legitimate reason for rejection of AOS package.

Thanks, Sharminlee! :) I am the only one. No other people in this case.

@kamsable

CP is 'consular processing', i.e. going home and doing it at the embassy.
If you cannot 'defend' self emp. with good data/docs as I said, you will need to think about that. You know best about your case, so its up to you.

@Yoni, I was also thinking just 2 a-h be the MAIN cause, I was giving other explanations just as for his 'future' ref.
I would still ask ALL to give the DV CN near at that 'h' line, there is enough space if you want to write it.

His seems a bad luck that a novice may have handled it at the lock box. Send it back asap if you still wants to do AoS.