• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2010 Winners from Ghana

hello all,

pls do i need to do another birth certificate (NPC) after i have changed my name after our wedding or i should just support it with the court affidavit and newspaper publication which i have done already?

pls help.

may God see us tru and success awaiting all of us,amen!

Hi,

No need to change your name, please support it with the documents you mentioned above.

Hello All,

The time has come for me and my family to also join you brothers in the States finally. All is set for me now and will be leaving coming Friday Oct 8. May God Bless us allllllllllllll.

We await your safe arrival.

Ghana was ranked number one in the world for winning the 2010 United States Diversity Immigrant Visa lottery registered entries. Out of the 8,752 Ghanaians registrants who won, more than 2,600 of them were interviewed, with about 2,400 of them being issued with Diversity Visas (DV) in Accra.

Mr. Michael Evans, Consular Chief of the US Embassy, made this known at a press conference in Accra.

He said in September, the embassy issued 1,177 visas to applicants, which indicated that Ghanaians had shown great interest in the DV lottery programme. Speaking on the 2012 DV programme, Mr. Brent LaRosa, DV Lottery Chief at the embassy said the programme, which was launched on Tuesday, October 5, would run only for a month, unlike the six month-period for previews years.

Mr. LaRosa said the DV lottery should be submitted electronically during the 30-day registration period which ends on Wednesday, November 3.

It seems there are many issues that account for the low visa applications. Many of them don't receive their NLs, many move homes or give someone's address in the application which never gets to them, some later found out that they don't qualify, while others discontinued because of the cost involved. There could be many other reasons, e.g. the amount of money normally demanded by "connection man" among others.

If 2,600 applied for visa and 2,400 were issued with visa, then the rejection/refusal rate is very low.

hello all,

pls do i need to do another birth certificate (NPC) after i have changed my name after our wedding or i should just support it with the court affidavit and newspaper publication which i have done already?

pls help.

may God see us tru and success awaiting all of us,amen!

Hi, you don't need a new birth certificate. Birth certificate are given at birth not when you married. You can change your name when you get married but your name at birth still remains the same. Once you have supported it with the court affidavit and newspaper publication, you are fine.

Hi naaa,

Trust me this bad news. If 8,752 people won the lottery in Ghana and more than 2,600 people were interviewed then trust me is bad news. Thus this means that the rest did not continue with the visa application process or they did but not get the chance to be interviewed? Anyway we thank God for choosing us amoung those who got their visas.

You may be right with your assessment, but what do you say to some of the Ghanaians who did AOS and those of us, who got our visas in the various countries we live, which was not captured in the report.

Hi guys, i arrived safely in the US this evening and it has been such a wonderful Xperience.I couldnt have done it without God and you guys out there.Once again thank ya'll.One love

Hi guys, i arrived safely in the US this evening and it has been such a wonderful Xperience.I couldnt have done it without God and you guys out there.Once again thank ya'll.One love

Yasnificent, we thank the Almighty God for such a wonderful experience in your life. But Jack, personally I will be very much happy if you could go further and tell the house exactly what a dv immigrant will have to go through at the port of entry so that those of us who are about starting our journey will have a fair idea about the whole show. I hope you're cool with my suggestion? Thanks so much and congrats!

Hello to all the big men who are already in the State. I want to send you back a bit to your port of entry. Pls tell the house exactly what you went through at your various port of entry, so that those of us who are about to start our journey will have a clear view of the whole process. So my great guys! Ammeck, Delay, Alexee and co, pls tell us abt ur POE. Thank you very much.

Hello to all the big men who are already in the State. I want to send you back a bit to your port of entry. Pls tell the house exactly what you went through at your various port of entry, so that those of us who are about to start our journey will have a clear view of the whole process. So my great guys! Ammeck, Delay, Alexee and co, pls tell us abt ur POE. Thank you very much.

Hi immano,
Pls worry not abt the port of entry cos is the easiest of all the process. The only problem will be delay in being in line if you meet a lot of people there just like what happened to one member of this thread. She spent almost 4hours before it got to her turn to be process. If you happened to be lucky by not meeting a lot of people there like my case, belive me it will take you less than 15mins. Below is my expirence.

@ our port of entry (jfk), we were asked to joined the perminent residence line. When we got to the immigration officer, he took our passport n the yellow envelope. After feeding his pc with our data he took our tumprint n directed us to another room where we were asked to signed a form and that was it. No question was ask. The process was all over in less than 15mins

I arrived at the Airport about 6:35am in Accra for check-in.I entered the place and went straight to the customs.A lady then asked me to open my bag and i did.She searched thoroughly.I then went to another section and they took my bag and kept it on weight machine but fortunately bags weight was not more than the require weight, havn done that.

I filled some forms and proceeded to the immigration and over there,the immigration officer took ma passport and stamped in it and directed me to a gate and at the gate, i was checked and then entered the waiting room.We wait for about 2 hours before the flight number was announced for passengers were to get ready to board the plane and that was around 9:15am.

We finally got in the plane and the plane took off at 9:40am.I arrived at New York at about 6:20pm.Then i went to join a queue.it wasnt long though.It got to my turn and the US immigration officers took my passport and the packet.He opened it in front of me.He then took my fingerprints and picture.He then took me to a room and ask me to sit and wait for some time.I had a thought that why have, they seen some wrong with me or something but i never knew they just wanted me to sign and fingerprint on a document.So when that was then done, i was directed to go for my Baggage and that was all Immano. Victory is in the Hands of the Lord.

I arrived at the Airport about 6:35am in Accra for check-in.I entered the place and went straight to the customs.A lady then asked me to open my bag and i did.She searched thoroughly.I then went to another section and they took my bag and kept it on weight machine but fortunately bags weight was not more than the require weight, havn done that.

I filled some forms and proceeded to the immigration and over there,the immigration officer took ma passport and stamped in it and directed me to a gate and at the gate, i was checked and then entered the waiting room.We wait for about 2 hours before the flight number was announced for passengers were to get ready to board the plane and that was around 9:15am.

We finally got in the plane and the plane took off at 9:40am.I arrived at New York at about 6:20pm.Then i went to join a queue.it wasnt long though.It got to my turn and the US immigration officers took my passport and the packet.He opened it in front of me.He then took my fingerprints and picture.He then took me to a room and ask me to sit and wait for some time.I had a thought that why have, they seen some wrong with me or something but i never knew they just wanted me to sign and fingerprint on a document.So when that was then done, i was directed to go for my Baggage and that was all Immano. Victory is in the Hands of the Lord.

Hello Yasnificent, I have learnt a lot from your experience. And I hope it will be useful to others too. But with the picture they took, did you carry it along with you or you were captured at their point. Thank you very very much

Hi immano,
Pls worry not abt the port of entry cos is the easiest of all the process. The only problem will be delay in being in line if you meet a lot of people there just like what happened to one member of this thread. She spent almost 4hours before it got to her turn to be process. If you happened to be lucky by not meeting a lot of people there like my case, belive me it will take you less than 15mins. Below is my expirence.

@ our port of entry (jfk), we were asked to joined the perminent residence line. When we got to the immigration officer, he took our passport n the yellow envelope. After feeding his pc with our data he took our tumprint n directed us to another room where we were asked to signed a form and that was it. No question was ask. The process was all over in less than 15mins

Oh I see, Alexee thanks so much for briefing the house on your experience at ur POE. I wish you the best in your future endeavours.

That's nice - hearing that God has carried you on his wings safely to the US.

Hello Yasnificent, I have learnt a lot from your experience. And I hope it will be useful to others too. But with the picture they took, did you carry it along with you or you were captured at their point. Thank you very very much

No picture is required at the POE.

I never carried the picture infact didnt even see the picture but i guess it was the passport type

Hello my big guys who are already in the State, Pls I want to know this:
Does your sponsor has any role to play at the port of entry, apart from picking you home?
I'm asking this because, I have decided to stay with a family member in Ohio for now so I would like to use Ohio as my port of entry where I will be welcomed by a family member instead of using New York where my sponsor would have picked me up. Is this going to pose any immigration problem for me? Or I should go straight to my sponsor and then later move to Ohio? Pls advice me. Thanks to you all