• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2010 Winners from Ghana

Alexee,
you really kept us waiting. hhhaaa! yes the first hurdle has been jumped. bt I am assuring you that ur visa is getting hotter, and by ur next appearance u will be singing Halleluya. Just keep on praying. Though you didn't get it onetouch like I did, u and ur wife must start rejoicing because the Good Lord has done it once again. To God Be the Glory!!!!

Hi computek,

Thank you very much for your words of encouragement as u rightly put it, we'll be praying for good news come 12April.

Hello House,

Sorry for keeping you guys waiting and thanks for your prayers all these while, I had to rush back to the office after the interview to attend to some pressing needs.

Well I got to the Embassy around 6: 30 am and I realized there were about 30 people in the waiting area. People started coming in. And about 7: 00 am, the number has increased to about 100. At about 7: 15 am, we were told to queue by the security men. They then check our appointed letters and non immigrant visa applicant’s were asked to form a different queue.

At about 7: 30am were have passed through the first and second security check point, and we were told to sit until we are called. A Ghanaian lady called all dv applicants to window 2 for a brief counseling after which she gave us a form which indicate whether one qualifies through education or work, married or not etc. She advice us to make payment after filling the forms if we intend to be interview. If my memory serves me right, we were about 15 applicants.

Please note that if your currency of payment is USD which I will recommend since you can save some few cedis, it should be from a bank or a trusted source because they check it vividly. After payment, I was asked to come to window one to submit my documents. The following are the documents I submitted. Passport, passport picture, school certificates, birth certificates, marriage certificate, police certificate, medicals “ note that the big xray form was given back to me, they claim they don’t need it” AOS, wedding and courtship pictures and copies of email of my wife and myself.

My name was mention once again to come to window two for my finger print. All these while I witness two refusal cases, one successful and three administrative processing. At about 11: 35 am, my name was mention to come to window 5.

CO: Raise your right hand and repeat after me if you swear to tell the truth of whatever you are asked.
ME: I did accordingly.
CO: What is your email address?
ME: Blablabla
CO: You qualify through education, can you tell me about your educational background?
Me: I have BSC Admin (Accounting option) from blablabla, HND in purchasing and Supply from Blablabla and SSCE from blablabla.
CO: Impressive, did you do your thesis; if yes tell me about it?
CO: Where did you meet your wife?
ME: High school.
CO: How many years now?
ME: About fourteen years now.
CO: When did you marry?
ME: 2nd August 2008.
CO: Your marriage certificate states that you register your marriage recently why did it take you guys that long to register your marriage?
ME: As at the time of the engagement, my wife was just about travelling to London so to ensure our commitment to our relationship we decided to go ahead with the engagement before she leaves.
CO: To my wife, when did you travel to London?
WIFE: Blablabla.
CO: How long was that?
CO: Purpose of going to London?
CO: Back to husband. Did you send KCC any mail and what was the purpose?
ME: Yes I did, I sent them a mail to enquire about the receipt of my application forms and interview date.
CO: I realized that all your documents your first name is Alex but is Alexander on your SSCE certificate can you explain that.
ME: To the best of my knowledge Alex is the short form of Alexander so is the same name. Most of my friends call me Alex whilst others call me Alexander so is the same name.
CO: If you go America you should use one name.
ME: Thank you Mum.
CO: Well your case has been put under Administrative Processing, come on Apirl 12 for the results.

At this point she gave us our passport and a blue sheet which states that awaiting administrative processing results, our passport and our pictures. I also realize that she kept some of our pictures. On my way out, one of the security guys told me that if only I submitted original documents, I shouldn’t worry for l will sail through successfully.

As far as I’m concern, all my documents are original and I’m hopping and praying that come 12th April I will hear positive news from them.

alexee357,
Be prepared that the embassy will send their officials to where you live to check the authencity of your marriage - it's part of the administrative process. They will come and ask your neighbours about your marriage, therefore, you need to do your homework very well. Also, about your name, this is some of the mistakes we do at home, in the developed world these names are not the same, e.g. Samuel>Sam, Anthony>Tony, Daniel>Dan, Thomas>Tom, etc. but looking at your situation, they will clear you about that. Since your educational and other documents submitted are genuine, I'm convinced come the 12th of April your visa will be ready.

Hi ammeck09,

with regards to our marriage, most of the people in our area knows about it so i know we'll be okay in that aspect. In connection with the name, i totally agree with you. I think it should be an advice for all of us.

Hello House,

Sorry for keeping you guys waiting and thanks for your prayers all these while, I had to rush back to the office after the interview to attend to some pressing needs.

Well I got to the Embassy around 6: 30 am and I realized there were about 30 people in the waiting area. People started coming in. And about 7: 00 am, the number has increased to about 100. At about 7: 15 am, we were told to queue by the security men. They then check our appointed letters and non immigrant visa applicant’s were asked to form a different queue.

At about 7: 30am were have passed through the first and second security check point, and we were told to sit until we are called. A Ghanaian lady called all dv applicants to window 2 for a brief counseling after which she gave us a form which indicate whether one qualifies through education or work, married or not etc. She advice us to make payment after filling the forms if we intend to be interview. If my memory serves me right, we were about 15 applicants.

Please note that if your currency of payment is USD which I will recommend since you can save some few cedis, it should be from a bank or a trusted source because they check it vividly. After payment, I was asked to come to window one to submit my documents. The following are the documents I submitted. Passport, passport picture, school certificates, birth certificates, marriage certificate, police certificate, medicals “ note that the big xray form was given back to me, they claim they don’t need it” AOS, wedding and courtship pictures and copies of email of my wife and myself.

My name was mention once again to come to window two for my finger print. All these while I witness two refusal cases, one successful and three administrative processing. At about 11: 35 am, my name was mention to come to window 5.

CO: Raise your right hand and repeat after me if you swear to tell the truth of whatever you are asked.
ME: I did accordingly.
CO: What is your email address?
CO: You qualify through education, can you tell me about your educational background?
Me: I have BSC Admin (Accounting option) from blablabla, HND in purchasing and Supply from Blablabla and SSCE from blablabla.
CO: Impressive, did you do your thesis; if yes tell me about it?
CO: Where did you meet your wife?
ME: High school.
CO: How many years now?
ME: About fourteen years now.
CO: When did you marry?
ME: 2nd August 2008.
CO: Your marriage certificate states that you register your marriage recently why did it take you guys that long to register your marriage?
ME: As at the time of the engagement, my wife was just about travelling to London so to ensure our commitment to our relationship we decided to go ahead with the engagement before she leaves.
CO: To my wife, when did you travel to London?
CO: How long was that?
CO: Purpose of going to London?
CO: Back to husband. Did you send KCC any mail and what was the purpose?
ME: Yes I did, I sent them a mail to enquire about the receipt of my application forms and interview date.
CO: I realized that all your documents your first name is Alex but is Alexander on your SSCE certificate can you explain that.
ME: To the best of my knowledge Alex is the short form of Alexander so is the same name. Most of my friends call me Alex whilst others call me Alexander so is the same name.
CO: If you go America you should use one name.
CO: Well your case has been put under Administrative Processing, come on Apirl 12 for the results.

At this point she gave us our passport and a blue sheet which states that awaiting administrative processing results, our passport and our pictures. I also realize that she kept some of our pictures. On my way out, one of the security guys told me that if only I submitted original documents, I shouldn’t worry for l will sail through successfully.

As far as I’m concern, all my documents are original and I’m hopping and praying that come 12th April I will hear positive news from them.

12th April, you are picking your visas. With all the prayers we are saying and your original doccument, God is going to make it happen. I am saying congs already.

I'm guessing they want to verify that your marriage is legitimate. Also, sometimes, when the consular himself/herself is not sure, they get back to their bosses (the US Department of State and the US Department of Homeland Security) to give the final approval if there are certain things they themselves do not understand or are not sure of. E.g. Sometimes, the Consular only knows WAEC exams and other Examinations (although the Consular will never admit that in front of you that he/she doesn't know what those documents mean). Also, they check for seals/embossments/hidden watermarks on your certificates to check for authenticity. So Administrative Processing is done to verify and truly understand your documents/evidence to see if you qualify hence the sophisticated name "Administrative Processing"

I think you should be fine --- additionally, it is taking them a longer time to process the visa these days due to the number of applicants and because I think, they grant visas in batches of 70 -- similar to what computek and I went through. Maybe they just want to make sure your visa is in a certain batch of 70 thats why they gave u the blue sheet -----

However on the blue sheet, did they ask you to bring anything with you? If not, then you can safely relax and realize that blue sheet is just temporary while they figure out on their end what they need to do before give u the Blue Visa Pick Up sheet.

No need to worry..come April 12th, you will be merry :)

Does anyone knows the current cost of acquiring the police certificate for those living abroad? It shows $80.00 USD on the U.S. Department of State website and I don't know if this is the amount they are still charging. Is there anyone here who can assist me acquire one from Ghana? I'll be grateful if someone can help me in this regard.

Hi americanbound,
On the blue sheet they did not ask me to submit anything. What was underlined on it was "awaiting administrative processing results"

Does anyone knows the current cost of acquiring the police certificate for those living abroad? It shows $80.00 USD on the U.S. Department of State website and I don't know if this is the amount they are still charging. Is there anyone here who can assist me acquire one from Ghana? I'll be grateful if someone can help me in this regard.

I will contact one police man at Accra Police headquarters to find out for you. Or send his phone number to you so you can talk to him.

hi ammeck09, it cost $120, that's what paid last month. there was a lady who assisted me, she works in the department and it took two days.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi ammeck09, it cost $120, that's what paid last month. there was a lady who assisted me, she works in the department and it took two days.

hi cov, just want to know if you sent your request together with your finger prints? just want to know how you went about it. tanx

Thanks cov for your reply amd pm. I want to know if it's the actual fee or includes everything? I hope you understand what I mean?

Yes I am. Ammeck09 said we will be current in June and I think he is right. I just have one problem, I was going through the Nigerian thread and I saw some advise that confused me. If anyone remembers the Application for Immigration visa and Alien registration Part II- sworn statement Qn.29. Name and Address of the petitioner. I wrote N/A because no one was petitioning for me. I don remember wat ma hubby filled. Silly me, I didn't make copies of the finally forms. On the thread, they we were advising to fill the principal applicants name on that qn. Is this true? Should I write to KCC with the changes? How many changes do they permit because ma forms must be dirty now with corrections. I didn't know anything about Dv before I joined the forum and the papers were already sent. House please help.

Sebulonde,

The name and address of the petitioner is the one who won the lottery -- i.e yourself. You are the principal applicant so what you saw on that thread is correct

You can email KCC with the corrections but it is imperative that you have photocopies of whatever you submitted to KCC for your own sanity sake and for error crosschecking purposes.

Yes I am. Ammeck09 said we will be current in June and I think he is right. I just have one problem, I was going through the Nigerian thread and I saw some advise that confused me. If anyone remembers the Application for Immigration visa and Alien registration Part II- sworn statement Qn.29. Name and Address of the petitioner. I wrote N/A because no one was petitioning for me. I don remember wat ma hubby filled. Silly me, I didn't make copies of the finally forms. On the thread, they we were advising to fill the principal applicants name on that qn. Is this true? Should I write to KCC with the changes? How many changes do they permit because ma forms must be dirty now with corrections. I didn't know anything about Dv before I joined the forum and the papers were already sent. House please help.

Hi Sebulonde,

I did the same thing on my visa application form ( i wrote N/A on the petitioner colum) and it never came up on my interview. You can emial KCC for the change or leave it as it is. I don't think it will be a problem.

Hi Naaa,

yes i sent the finger print with my details, eg: full name ,ur mother and father's name, passport no.DOB etc to a family member to take it to the police headquaters. i had a lady i ve already spoken to, so he gave the details and the money to her, she did everything and called my cousin to come for it, she included the receipts. the $120 is for the p.cert. in Ghana they collect only dollars not in cedis.the finger print cost £65.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Naaa,

yes i sent the finger print with my details, eg: full name ,ur mother and father's name, passport no.DOB etc to a family member to take it to the police headquaters. i had a lady i ve already spoken to, so he gave the details and the money to her, she did everything and called my cousin to come for it, she included the receipts. the $120 is for the p.cert. in Ghana they collect only dollars not in cedis.the finger print cost £65.

Yeah, I also paid £65 for the finger print. Cov thank you, I've asked my brother to contact that person for me.

Don't worry about this issue, it's not that important. As advised, you can email kcc for the correction or you can leave it as it's. It's not going to cause any problem.