• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2010 Winners from Ghana

Hello House,

My interview is on Tuesday 16th Feb. Please do well to remember me in your prayers cos the tension is becoming too much for me.

Hello House,

My interview is on Tuesday 16th Feb. Please do well to remember me in your prayers cos the tension is becoming too much for me.

Don't worry too much. The Good Lord who started this journey with you will never abandon you, but will faithfully lead you to glory and victory. All you need is to get all your documents in order, and start doing some body exercise to release yourself from unnecessary pressure. Good Luck

Hello House,

The Good Lord is with you, go and possess your visa.
We will be behind you offering our prayers.

Hello House,

Hi Alexee357,
Don't pile up any pressure on you from the house to the embassy. What kind of tension is that? Make sure all ur documents are intact and u will have no cause of worry. Please this fight is fought once in a lifetime. So don't panic and keep praying because your visa is there for the taking. Feel free during the interview and answer any question that comes your way. You know what just show ur face at the embassy, and ur visa will be granted to you.And remember, To God Be The Glory!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alexee, you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure your documentation is order and you answer the questions directly.

Computek...picking up the visa is the easiest part of the process --- just remember to take your blue sheet with you, wait patiently for the Immigration Talk Session to be held in the Embassy courtyard that explains the "mysterious brown envelope" and your Immigrant Visa...and you are well on you way out of there :)

Looking at the statistics in the attached spreadsheet, the visa approved rate for Ghanaian winners has been very appalling with the highest approved rate being 32% of winners. If you are from Egypt or Ethiopia, then your chances of approval is very high - the approval rate for these two countries are over 50% of winners. Morocco, Kenya, Cameroon and Nigeria have all enjoyed better approved rate than Ghana. These people have been very mean to Ghanaian winners for the past ten years, although Ghana continues to enjoy one of the highest numbers of winners in the dv lottery program.

Ammeck, I don't think the statistics really mean much...except pointing out the high literacy rates in Egypt and possibly the massive influx of Ethiopians in the USA due to the dire situation in their country.

I believe the USA really wants to make sure that the people they give immigrant visas to are not going to be a public charge and are able to support themselves when they get there. It's a very tough situation in the USA at the moment economically so if the Consulate doesn't feel the odds of a visa candidate are high, they would rather decline the visa if they feel its not possible for the person to get a job in the current economic environment. For example, retail industry has gone down heavily ----fashion, consumer type jobs etc etc --- Unless you have sufficient money in your bank account to take care of yourself, its highly unlikely that you may get an immigrant visa especially if the job needs of the country do not include consumer type jobs ...that's why it is essential to look up on the O net database to see if your education/professional background will let you succeed.

I have heard stories of Ghanaians stuck in the USA who are desperately trying to make their way back to Ghana but cannot afford to even buy a ticket back. Is that the American dream you want people to face? I believe the decision to immigrate to the USA should be heavily dependent upon an individual's current financial situation as well as the hopes of getting a better opportunity in the USA.

I think the statistics just portray that probably most of the lottery winners apply for the right reason whereas in Ghana, most of the lottery winners take part in the lottery without clearly acknowledging what the requirements are and whether they will be able to get a good job when they get there.

I don't think the lottery is really a "lottery" . It's rather a clever scheme hatched by the US Government to fill in critical vacant job positions that they will not be able to fill in using the H1-B visa program. That's just the way it is :)

Hello,

To naaa, ammeck09, computeck09 and americanbound. Thank your guys for your words of encourangement and prayers, i know my story will not be different from other winners of this thread. For the documentation all is set and ready and i'm just waiting patiently for the D-day.

Looking at the statistics in the attached spreadsheet, the visa approved rate for Ghanaian winners has been very appalling with the highest approved rate being 32% of winners. If you are from Egypt or Ethiopia, then your chances of approval is very high - the approval rate for these two countries are over 50% of winners. Morocco, Kenya, Cameroon and Nigeria have all enjoyed better approved rate than Ghana. These people have been very mean to Ghanaian winners for the past ten years, although Ghana continues to enjoy one of the highest numbers of winners in the dv lottery program.

Hi ammeck09,

I think the factors below has resulted to the low visa approval rate for Ghana.
1. Most of our people enter into the lottery without knowing the qualification criteria (education and job)

2. We all know that is not easy for most of our people to raise $775 for the program so they may win alright but may not be able to continue with the visa process.

3. Lack of general knowledge of the programe may also be one of the major factors. Compared to our Nigerian brothers, how many Ghanaians won and how many knows about this forum. Most of us including myself were all green about this programe until our quest for more information brougth us to this forum.

Hello House,

You've been a loyal member of this forum. We'll definitely remember you in our prayers. I know you will make it. Good Luck.

I've been told the US embassy in Accra has stopped giving 6 months visas for immigrants. A friend who went for his visa yesterday called to tell me he was given two months plus some days. His visa is valid from 5th February to 19 April. Is that not strange. He said one other guy was given less than 2 months. Americabound can you confirm this story.

Computek I would want you to find out if this information is true when you go for your visa. Americabound says he was given 6 months but my friend also insists he was given less than 3 months.

Hello House,

Ofcourse we are praying for you- Success must be yours in Jesus name. Awaiting the breaking NEWSSSSSSSSSS

ammeck,

This statistics may not be entirely accurate, the reason is that the DV organisers could not prove to us from this statistics that all the DV selectee from a particular country process their cases to visa level. Many will drop on the wayside before the interview day. I would have been more confortable if they could tell us the number of DV selectee from these country that actually attended the interview. Base on this we could actually have a better understanding of which country is doing well as per approval rate on Visa issued.

Let say about 10,000 people won US DV lottery from Ghana, and about 3,000 actually went for the interview i.e process their cases to Visa level, and about 1000 were issued Visa. Hence it will be accurate to say 10,000 Ghanians won the lottery, 3,000 processed their cases to Visa level while 1,000 were issued DV Visa. We can not deduce that 10,000 won the lottery and 1,000 were issued Visa. we can not arrive at the actual approval rate with the method used in the spread sheet.

Hope you understood what i'm trying to arrive at. KCC should tell us the actuals numbers that went for the interview.

Please i need comments.

Hi ammeck09,

I think the factors below has resulted to the low visa approval rate for Ghana.
1. Most of our people enter into the lottery without knowing the qualification criteria (education and job)

2. We all know that is not easy for most of our people to raise $775 for the program so they may win alright but may not be able to continue with the visa process.

3. Lack of general knowledge of the programe may also be one of the major factors. Compared to our Nigerian brothers, how many Ghanaians won and how many knows about this forum. Most of us including myself were all green about this programe until our quest for more information brougth us to this forum.

I think all these factors you have enumerated above also pertains in Kenya, Ethiopia and Nigeria, yet they have high visa approved rate than Ghana. I think there are some factors that have accounted for this low approval rate that has been concealed from us. Remember what happened to some 2009 winners where they were denied visas simply because they provided different addresses. What is wrong with given a different address to where you will live and another for your proposed sponsor in the U.S.?

As Americanbound said, collection of visa is the easiest process of all. Of about 70 people in the embassy I was the sixth person to be called for my visa at exactly 8:50am. To God Be The Glory!!! Good luck to every one esp. Alexee for the D-day next week. Alexee GO, GO, GO,GO Get am.
To God Be The Glory

As Americanbound said, collection of visa is the easiest process of all. Of about 70 people in the embassy I was the sixth person to be called for my visa at exactly 8:50am. To God Be The Glory!!! Good luck to every one esp. Alexee for the D-day next week. Alexee GO, GO, GO,GO Get am.
To God Be The Glory

computek09, happy for you. Finally you have got your passport with the visa sticker stamped in it. Glory be to the Lord. Hope you have a successful journey and stay in the US.