• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2010 Winners from Ghana

Guys, I'm moving to the US on August 30 with my whole family. All the necessary preparations has been done, e.g. flight booked, accommodation secured, goods packed, etc, except getting a job. I don't have plans to apply for one before moving.

Hopefully with His favour, by the evening of Tuesday 30 August I will be in the US, MD.

Ammeck, the Lord will carry you and your family on His wings and cause you to land safely. I have to give my company 1 month notice before leaving so i will join you guys in early October. Cheers

Guys, I'm moving to the US on August 30 with my whole family. All the necessary preparations has been done, e.g. flight booked, accommodation secured, goods packed, etc, except getting a job. I don't have plans to apply for one before moving.

Hopefully with His favour, by the evening of Tuesday 30 August I will be in the US, MD.

Good to hear that my brother,i will also be leaving on the 29th August i.e a exactly a day before you!Anyway we have to give Glory to the almighty God for the blessing he has put on us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!America here we come to fulfill our American Dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, the forum will miss Ammeck & co

U guys make us feel lonely. But the Lord will surely take us through. May He give u guys travelling mercies; carry u safely to your destinations; put up a worthy and godly life and may your dreams come true, Amen!

BENNIIT

Hi Guys, I have already started looking for a job online in the US and God being so good i'm about to find one soon in one of the telecom companies. I just need a recommendation from my current job. I believe if we can we shouldn't wait till we get there before looking for a job. Its important. Also, does anybody know any church or organization who offers help to immigrants who do not have anywhere to stay in the US? I have a friend who needs help b'cos the one who promise to accommodate him says she cant accept him anymore b'cos she's afraid of the husband. I think she didn't tell the husband earlier and he became wild. I read it somewhere on the forum that there are some organizations or churches that can help people in such situations.
Please any info on this? God Bless all.

Good, that's a perfect move. Hope you secure the job.

Ammeck09 & co

Pls before u guys leave, this question of mine has nt bin given a perfect answer, i'v asked several times, as a 2007 graduate, is it ok to present a Neco cert of 2008? I'll be combining 2 neco cert, one was written in 2002 and d other 2008 after i graduated, the waec result i wrote in 2002 which i combined wit the neco result to gain admission has a wrong date of birth so i dnt want to include it. Pls ur opinion, bcos dats d only thing bordering me. Thanks and CONGRATSSS to u all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pls before u guys leave, this question of mine has nt bin given a perfect answer, i'v asked several times, as a 2007 graduate, is it ok to present a Neco cert of 2008? I'll be combining 2 neco cert, one was written in 2002 and d other 2008 after i graduated, the waec result i wrote in 2002 which i combined wit the neco result to gain admission has a wrong date of birth so i dnt want to include it. Pls ur opinion, bcos dats d only thing bordering me. Thanks and CONGRATSSS to u all.

You will be fine going to the interview with your two NECO certificates. It doesn't matter the time in between the two certs. You have to understand that the embassy looks at the current results, i.e. if you pass a course in 2002 and resit the course with the intention of bettering the grade and had a fail in 2008, they will consider the current grade of that course which is fail. That means you can't count on the 2002 results again.

Ammeck, the Lord will carry you and your family on His wings and cause you to land safely. I have to give my company 1 month notice before leaving so i will join you guys in early October. Cheers

That is a positive news, hope you will update us on your journey.

Good to hear that my brother,i will also be leaving on the 29th August i.e a exactly a day before you!Anyway we have to give Glory to the almighty God for the blessing he has put on us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!America here we come to fulfill our American Dreams!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Which state are you traveling to? Mine is Maryland.

U guys make us feel lonely. But the Lord will surely take us through. May He give u guys travelling mercies; carry u safely to your destinations; put up a worthy and godly life and may your dreams come true, Amen!

BENNIIT

Benniit, you will not walk alone. I promise to be here to contribute and offer suggestions to issues raised in this great forum.

Congrats my brother. Gradually, our dream to move to the states is gradually becoming a reality. I will join you there on the 11th September God willing.

Hi Guys, I have already started looking for a job online in the US and God being so good i'm about to find one soon in one of the telecom companies. I just need a recommendation from my current job. I believe if we can we shouldn't wait till we get there before looking for a job. Its important. Also, does anybody know any church or organization who offers help to immigrants who do not have anywhere to stay in the US? I have a friend who needs help b'cos the one who promise to accommodate him says she cant accept him anymore b'cos she's afraid of the husband. I think she didn't tell the husband earlier and he became wild. I read it somewhere on the forum that there are some organizations or churches that can help people in such situations.
Please any info on this? God Bless all.

This is good news man.

Hi guys, do u think it's possible for one to change the name of the would-be- host at this moment when I've been alloted an interview date. the one who was to host me said she is not a legal permanent resident and referred me to another one who is an LPR.is it a must for a host to be a legal permanent resident?

Hi guys, do u think it's possible for one to change the name of the would-be- host at this moment when I've been alloted an interview date. the one who was to host me said she is not a legal permanent resident and referred me to another one who is an LPR.is it a must for a host to be a legal permanent resident?

Go to the interview with the new address and tell the CO who will conduct your interview that you want to change it and hopefully it will be done for you.

Folks, I've already sent my nön-receipt of 1st NL notification this morning. Good luck, guys.

Good to know that! Hope you get your package asap so as to complete the forms and return it to KCC. It will also enable you to know/predict when you will be current and update your signature.

Can you please share your interview experience with the house? It would be very much appreciated
Did the CO specifically told you to provide transcript of your husband's degree before the Visa was issued?
Yep I think the brown envelope is supposed to be opened at the Point Of Entry (POE) in the US.

hi nsiah7

I have finally typed out my interview experience. I'm afraid there isn't much in the way of questions that were asked but I have given an account of the whole day's experience and some issues that cropped up and how we handled them.
I also have to mention that I entered the lottery via an agency (that is an organisation that claims/guarantees to increase your chances of winning the lottery - I do NOT believe this claim and would NOT encourage anyone to follow my example). I just wanted to say if anyone was interested in that experience too I would be happy to share.

I cannot say for sure when the first notification letter arrived, but I am certain it was before July 2009. I would use the date June 15th as a guess, the actually letter was dated May 20th. We made photocopies of the forms and filled in a draft each, we later discovered the forms were online and my hubby decided to type out our details. After several amendments we sent off the final copy by recorded mail on July 5th, keeping copies for our records.
We heard nothing for 2 months and decided to call KCC (by this time the contact telephone number for the "agency" was unreachable - we entered the lottery via an agency). The KCC confirmed they had received our forms successfully and that “Africa was not current yet”, this meant nothing to us whatsoever at the time, but we got the impression we have to be patient.
In the meantime we got our documents together for the interview (police certificates UK and Ghana especially). But by the end of 2009 when we have not heard anything, we concluded our application had been unsuccessfully and reluctantly gave up.
Lo and behold, sometime in May this year, we received the second notification letter dated May 13th, giving us an interview date of July 14th and instructions on getting the medical examination done. It was quite a relief and I began researching the DV lottery further and quite by accident I stumbled upon this forum and what an eye opener it has been! If I had known about this website earlier, I would not have been on this emotional rollercoaster for the best part of a year (stressed, disappointed, nervousness, panic, excitement, ...)! My hubby had a pre-booked holiday to Ghana and we only managed to book a medical appointment 9 days before our interview. I was concerned the dates were too close together, but I needn’t have worried as the appointment went smoothly and were done in about 2 hours.
I read most of the pages of the forum and gave my hubby the relevant information, I began to make photocopies of our documents, the ones requested for and any supporting documents I could find.
We received a final letter advising the processing fee had been increased to 819.00 USD.
On the day of the interview (July 14th), we arrived at the Embassy at around 7.45 am, there were only about 10 people waiting in line ahead of us, (we left our mobile phones at home). There was a little glitch at the gates were the security officer claimed he could not allow me in, the letter was only addressed to my husband. A consular officer (I guess) also at the gate had to write my name out on the letter before the security guard would let us through their airport-style security.
At 8.30am precisely the consular officers started calling out numbers, we were called shortly after 9am to window 13. The lady asked for our documents (passports, birth certificates, marriage certificates, police certificates, affidavit of support, etc). She asked my hubby to pay the fee as window 12 and bring her back the receipt. This done, she asked for his degree certificate and when presented also requested for his transcripts. We had not brought that along, she then asked for a letter from work. The letter was just a confirmation that he worked for the company and had been doing so in x capacity for x number of years. I do not think that satisfied her. She explained we may have to submit the transcript later. We were given a pink slip to fill in to have our passports returned by courier.
She also asked when we intended to migrate, we explained that we were expecting and did not think we would until the baby had had her first set of vaccinations. She asked why we did not have her in the States instead; I said something about my husband not being there for the birth. (It was mid July and I am due end of August I did not think there was enough time for us both to wrap up here and move). She decided to find out from her supervisors what the remedy would be, she came back to inform us we would either have to get the baby her own passport or have her included in one of ours, plus to take along with us the long-form birth certificate and everything would be sorted at the POE. Our time at window 13 took no more than 30 minutes, she asked us to return to our seats to be called back.
There was about a 30 minutes wait, my hubby and I were quite confident would we get the visas at this point and the decision would have been made there and then if we had the transcripts. We were called to window 14 this time, a gentleman asked us to swear and took our finger prints, I realised very quickly he was more interested in my hubby than I so I decided to keep quiet and let him answer the questions. The officer was asked:
Were he worked/how longed he had worked there/what he worked as/how long he had been in the country/how soon we would migrate to the US?
The only question I was asked was why I had a Ghanaian police certificate if I am British and I explained I had lived there from the age of 6 to 17.
Finally, he confirmed we were missing a document (the transcript) and that he was going to give us a blue slip to arrange with the courier company to have it delivered, we would get our passports back in 5 working days.
I asked if that was the end of the interview, he said yes. I asked him if when the transcripts are presented we would have the visas, (he wouldn’t give a straight answer to that), he said they would have to see it to make a decision. My hubby and I both knew where the transcripts were so I took that as a yes!
All in all we were out of the Embassy by 10.30am.

The courier company were a pain to deal with; they finally picked up the transcripts on Friday 16th that was the 2nd attempt and delivered our passports with the visas on Friday 23rd, again that was a 2nd attempt.
As I have mentioned in a previous post, my husband ripped open his brown envelope in the excitement before noticing the note stating NOT to do so.
We spent the best part of Saturday morning trying to call the Embassy and find out what to do. The simple answer was to seal the envelope and arrange with the courier company to pick up the envelope ONLY to return to the Embassy to have it officially resealed. The envelope would be returned in 5 working days, we are expecting the resealed envelope on Tuesday August 3rd.

Kor, I think we are missing something about your interview.

1. After your interview, were you asked to submit transcript before the visa is issued?
2. Did they put your case under administrative processing?
3. Did they ask you to go and come back on another specified day?
4. Did they tell you that you will hear from them and was asked to pay for courier service?
5. Could you give us the date you went for the interview and the date you receive your visas?

Your answer(s) to the above questions will help us to know more about whether your visa was issued immediately after your interview or it took some time before. Or if you like, you can clarify more about your interview and what follows....

1) we were asked to produce the transcript before the visa was issued
2) the officer did not mention anything about administrative processing
3) there was no need for us to reschedule our appointment
4) they told us they needed the transcript in order to make a decision; we had to arrange with the courier co to pick up the transcripts from our home & deliver to them at the Embassy
5) our interview was on July 14th and we received the visas on 23rd.

Hi Ammeck,

I wanted to ask whether you shipped your household goods and how you went about doing so.