• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2010 Winners from Ghana

HI guys, I'm immano a Ghanaian. i am waiting to be current. I like the way you guys are helping others through this forum. But personally I have one fear, ie my CN is too high (2010AF00073xxx). Do I stand the chance of appearing for consular interview and even getting a visa?

I and my husband traveled to Nairobi on the 19th June thou the interview was on the 24th June. We had to do the medicals before the interview. We completed the medicals on the 20th, it took us the whole day. The results were ready for collection the next day. We prayed that we passed the medicals. The lady who briefed us before the meds told us they if they find anything wrong with ya, one is can be put on hold till they are cured. I got so scared!

We collected the reports on the 21st (Friday) and we were just praising God. On Sun, we booked a cab to pick us on Monday at 5am. On Monday we were already on our way around 5:15am. We actually arrived at the embassy around 5:30am. We found 3 people there and as we were getting out of the car, another couple arrived. The gates were opened around 6:30am or minutes to 7am. We went thru the security check, presenting the appointment letters all the way.
Inside the embassy we were the first immigration Visa applicants to arrive. I know this because we were separated in the ques. At around 8, we were around 7 applicants. We were called to window 4 to hand in the papers. They checked all our papers and gave us an invoice to pay $775*2. We paid and brought the receipt to her. We were asked to wait from the waiting area outside and wait to be called. The non- migrate visa applicants were more than 100 and we seemed to have mixed up at this time. We were called to window 5 after 40 mins to have our figure prints to be taken. After this execrise, we went back out and waited.
We were called at window 10 after 10mins.

Co. Goodmorning
Us. Good morning Sir
Co. I need you to swear that whatever you are going to say is nothing but the truth.
Me. I nodded and said I swear and so Did my husband
Co. Sign here.
Me. I did and the same was done for my husband.
Co. This is the initial application and you didn't mention that you were married. Why?
Me. I was not married then but by the time I got ma notification letter, I was married and i informed the KCC about it.
Co. When did you get married again?
Me. 20th Feb ****
Co. Good. Oh! Can I see your pics.
Me. The DVD was confiscated during security checks. ( They told us that, they don't allow any data storage devices inside)
Co. Security, come to window 10. The gentleman came and we gave him the card that they had given us for the DVD pick up. He was back after 5 mins and we went back to window 10. ( They had asked us to sit while we wait.) But during this time, I witnessed, one acceptance for Immigration and 2 denials for non- immigration visas.
At the window, the consular gave back all the original documents apart from the police certificates and gave us a blue form (administrative processing).
Co. I will make my decision wen I have seen your pics later. Please come tomorrow at 1pm.
Me. Fine. That is ok. We will see you tomorrow. I was praying inside.
It took us 2 hours for the whole process to be thru. The actual interview less 10 mins plus waiting for security to bring the DVD.

The next day were called to window 6 by a lady and she gave us the yellow pick up slip. No further qns were asked.

Co. When are you leaving Nairobi?
Me. We wanted to leave today. We have been here for almost a week.
Co. We try so much to issue non-residents (non- Kenyans) visas as fast as we can but we can only do it in a week's time. Is June 1st ok with you?
Me. It's fine ma'am. ( in ma heart; Are you kidding me? Any day is cool) We shall travel back then.
Co. Ok then, I will see you then at 3pm.
Me. Thank you. Bye

We were on cloud 9. Called our parents back home and we praised God all thru the journey back to Uganda.

NB: The interview started before I even knew it. I thout that we could be called into a room with the Co. not at the window when even one is watching and listening. It was smooth and interviewers were great people. The waiting area is so small. On the second day, we were about 30 people who came back with the blue forms. 15 were called back to window 4( this is where we handed them in at first) and they were given back their blue forms. I can't tell why. All the other people called before us were given the yellow slips for pick up.

Hi Sebulonde,

Your interview was so cool, please say me well to your husband.

With love from Nigeria.

HI guys, I'm immano a Ghanaian. i am waiting to be current. I like the way you guys are helping others through this forum. But personally I have one fear, ie my CN is too high (2010AF00073xxx). Do I stand the chance of appearing for consular interview and even getting a visa?

lmmano,

Everything is possible, Africa was current last yr in September, hopefully i am confident Africa will still be current this year.

Goodluck.

Hi immano,

Looking at the current trend of the Visa Bulletin, i'm confident that u'll be current. No need to fear, just organise yourself well and you'll be through. All the best.

Last edited by a moderator:
Joequi,

Is your country of chargeability Nigeria? If so, wishing you good luck in the next bulletin and everything goes well. You are a very helpful member of this forum and deserve the best.

All the best.

Immano,
No need to fear. I have a much higher CN than u. We have up to mid July to find out if Africa will be current. Till then, keep fingers crossed, organise pertinent documents cos you may not want any delay if your interview is in September and above all pray hard. It shall come to pass. I'll also advice that you read through the Ghana and Nigeria threads as you wait.

I'm very positive Africa will be current in September. Just make sure you organise all your documents ready for an interview in September. If your case is put under administration, then you will not make it - so make sure you don't leave any doubt about your documents. With the right preparation, I'm optimistic you will make it. Wish you well in your application.

Hi Sebulonde
Congrats on your successful interview. Hope the US brings to you great happiness that you have always wanted. Best wishes.

Hi Ammeck,
Been able to get an appointment for my spouse for the fingerprinting in london. I think I'll organise one in Ghana for myself and then when I'm in london I'll do a new set of fingerprints for a new one just in case. Enjoy.

Hi Ammeck,
Been able to get an appointment for my spouse for the fingerprinting in london. I think I'll organise one in Ghana for myself and then when I'm in london I'll do a new set of fingerprints for a new one just in case. Enjoy.

That's cool, don't leave it to chance. Make sure everything is in place so as not to delay the process or issuing of your visa.

Hello House,

We were supposed to collected the visas yesterday (1st June) but it was a public holiday in Kenya. The embassy is closed on all Kenyan and American public holidays. We didn't look at the calender but anyway I never thout the Consular would give us a day without checking. We are still in Nairobi and waiting for today at 3pm.
@ Trixsam, We never provided the AOS. You see the form was neither mentioned in the 1st Notification letter (Requirement list) or in the 2nd NL (the list of reminders). I knew we needed it thou according to what I had read on the forum and on other sites. All my relatives and friends gave me excuses at the last time. If they were not working, they said they didn't have enough money @ bank or that they had just filed an AOS for one else and they couldn't file another. It was so tricky for us. Actually that's why I was so busy and confused till we started to pray. If you know God, please talk to him. Tell him that all men have let you done and let's only him that you are waiting upon.
At the embassy, it was never asked. At the time of the interview, the consular fills a form for himself, I think for all the documents that you have presented and he marked Not Applicable (N/A) on the AOS. God answered our prayer when we waited on him.

I also know that if they ask for it and you don't have it, they give you time to bring it. They don't give you a refusal at first but an administrative processing form and have it marked on it. I saw some people with forms when it's marked. You can avoid all this first time by praying and believing. I have seen it work. Praise God

Hello House,

We were supposed to collected the visas yesterday (1st June) but it was a public holiday in Kenya. The embassy is closed on all Kenyan and American public holidays. We didn't look at the calender but anyway I never thout the Consular would give us a day without checking. We are still in Nairobi and waiting for today at 3pm.
@ Trixsam, We never provided the AOS. You see the form was neither mentioned in the 1st Notification letter (Requirement list) or in the 2nd NL (the list of reminders). I knew we needed it thou according to what I had read on the forum and on other sites. All my relatives and friends gave me excuses at the last time. If they were not working, they said they didn't have enough money @ bank or that they had just filed an AOS for one else and they couldn't file another. It was so tricky for us. Actually that's why I was so busy and confused till we started to pray. If you know God, please talk to him. Tell him that all men have let you done and let's only him that you are waiting upon.
At the embassy, it was never asked. At the time of the interview, the consular fills a form for himself, I think for all the documents that you have presented and he marked Not Applicable (N/A) on the AOS. God answered our prayer when we waited on him.

I also know that if they ask for it and you don't have it, they give you time to bring it. They don't give you a refusal at first but an administrative processing form and have it marked on it. I saw some people with forms when it's marked. You can avoid all this first time by praying and believing. I have seen it work. Praise God

Thanks for clarifying this issue for us. As we all know, it's up to the consular officer to determine if one will become a public charge in the US. In your case the officer ticked 'not applicable', meaning you will be okay when you finally move to the US. So generally, it's to the discretion of the consular officer to wave this requirement based on certain conditions (such as the applicant's age, health, education and job skills, income, assets, and any money available to the immigrant from family members).

Hello House,

Sebulonde
Any news about your visa collection? We just want to hear that everything is fine and that you have it in hand.

Joequi,

Is your country of chargeability Nigeria? If so, wishing you good luck in the next bulletin and everything goes well. You are a very helpful member of this forum and deserve the best.

All the best.

TZ,

Thanks so much for your concern, i am a Nigerian and by the grace of God i will be current when the next bulletin comes out next week.

One love.

Lluna,

First of all congratulations on going through the process & getting your visas. I'll try to be as brief as I possibly can, but i know I can detail a lot of things in our experience.

We were 2007 winners. We did our interview in London, UK & received our visas in early 2007. We did enter the US within 6 months; we didnt want to risk the expiry date on the visas passing us by. That said though, we entered 2 weeks before their expiry, which was cutting it close. On landing at LAX (terminal 2) we were pulled aside soon as we handed over our sealed package (I believe you have something similar in your possession now) - anyway we were taken into a side room and filled out some forms that asked only basic information, we were welcomed into the country & we were on our way after about 30mins.

Because of my job, I had to return to London after a 2 week period. The day I arrived in London is the day our green cards arrived in the post. My wife had my green card securely mailed to me.

During the 2 week period I was in the US, we visited the social security office to sort out our social security. Those also arrived soon after the Green Cards. Also, because she was pregnant & didnt have any medical insurance, we were able to apply & receive Medi-Cal, which covered the cost of giving birth. The application was a day-long process, but we walked away having received our Medi-Cal insurance.

I would return to the US a few weeks before she was due. With passport & Green card in hand, it was an undeniably great feeling bypassing the long Non-US Citizens/Residents queue at LAX and getting through customs and immigration in a flash, especially after always having to wait in the endless Non-UK Citizens queues at Heathrow for an hour or so, then being scrutinized no-end by UK Customs and Immigration. I cant deny how I so totally loved the reverse when entering the US.

My stay was short again & I would leave again soon after our child's birth. My family would leave the US a few months later to join me in the UK when our child was in a position to travel.

In the early part of 2008 I returned to the US by myself to look for work. I had tried applying online and was shown interest, did a few interviews on phone, but companies were more interested in follow-up face-to-face interviews, so I made a trip specifically to find work. I was in the US again for about 2 weeks & spent almost every day interviewing and left when I had a couple of good responses but I didnt get a confirmed job offer till I returned to London.

Soon as I had a confirmed job offer and expected start date, we wrapped up our lives in London and moved permanently to the US. We've been settled here now for 2 years. In all it was a crazy experience moving up and down in bits and pieces over a period of time.

Once when re-entering the US alone, I was pulled aside by customs and immigration and taken to the same room at LAX. Admittedly, I wondered if something was wrong and I asked, but the lady was very pleasant and told me not to worry, that there was nothing wrong - they just had to record my entry again and how long I had been out of the US since my last stay, and that as a new green card permanent resident we were given upto 12 months to completely settle from one country to the US coz they understood that not everyone can just up and leave (Coom, I hope that sheds some light on your question). At least thats what they told me. It only happened once, but I made 2 trips back-and-forth between our initial entry and when we last entered to settle for good.

Concerning housing, we didnt have trouble with that. We initially lived with someone we knew, since we knew that we'd all leave the US after that initial entry. They were kind enough to let us stay with them for a few months - we split bills, etc. But before returning as we wrapped up our stay in London, I used the internet to find an apartment within walking distance from my job, since we didnt have a car. There is plenty of sites that lease apartments. Because we didnt have credit though we had to make a full month's deposit on the rent, unlike say a $400 deposit if you have credit history or at least an existing presence in the US. They management company was considerate of our situation and helped make things as easy as possible for us.

Good experience worth reading from a former dv lottery winner. Guys read this and it will give you an insight into how things work in the US.

@alexee, this experience (especially the bolded part) answers a very pressing or delicate issue you raised sometime ago.

Good experience worth reading from a former dv lottery winner. Guys read this and it will give you an insight into how things work in the US.

@alexee, this experience (especially the bolded part) answers a very pressing or delicate issue you raised sometime ago.

This is really good information. The ins and outs however is something that sould be done extremely carefully with the ultimate aim of settling in the shortest possible time. I know of a chap who was nearly thrown out as he was doing one of his usual ins after a long stay out. But once we know that they are considerate with one or two returns, I think that sould be cool.

Hi ammeck,

You are right, i read this and i was very releifed. As you rightly said it has answered a very pressing and delicate issue i raised sometime ago.

Anynews from the embassy?