• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV-2010 Winners from Ghana

Hi,
i am a dv lottery winner for the program 2010, however i made small mistake of the spelling of my middle name.. for instance, instead of Mohamed i wrote Mohammed both the E-DV and the other forms i returned to KCC. however, according to my other documents such as the passport, birth certificate and all my other certificates it is written as Mohamed.. i have no idea whether this may affect my chances to get visa or not, and what to do, so please help me if u have an idea what i should do.

thank you in advance for your assistance..

Hasta,

Do well to update us with ur signature.

Where are the Ghanaian winners? So far we haven't heard anyone having his/her interview in October. What is actually hapenning?

Are there someone here having his/her interview in November? Let's hear from you guys.

Where are the Ghanaian winners? So far we haven't heard anyone having his/her interview in October. What is actually hapenning?

Are there someone here having his/her interview in November? Let's hear from you guys.

Well said ammeck09, i was listerning to joy fm super morning show yesterday n some of the staff from U.S embassy in Accra were being interviewed in relation to the DV programme. I was surprise to hear from them that they have issued about 20 visas for dv2010 so far. Well this should tell u that most of our people are not aware of this forum. What can we say than to hope n pray that members of our thread will go for their interview very soon to enable us have his or her interview expirence.

Where are the Ghanaian winners? So far we haven't heard anyone having his/her interview in October. What is actually happening?

What happened to Awuk??????????? according to the thread, he was supposed to have his interview on 20th Oct. He could have been among the 20 successful visa that alexee357 heard! Awuk, where are you? Where are you man?

Hi Guys,

I hope by now you've all seen from the Nigerian thread that some of them who had good grade in Maths were asked to solve some quadratic equation question during their CP interview. For instance 5x + 2 = 12, find x. For those of us who had a good grade in Maths, lets note and prepare for no one knows what will be ask and expecially since we have not yet had an interview expirence on our thread.

That is why it's a forum, if our Ghanaian brothers and sisters are not visiting here to offer us their experience, we will depend that of our Nigerian counterparts. Though experience from our own consulate would have helped, but since they are not forthcoming, we will take consolation from the fact that this year (october) they have already issued 20 visas.

Some participants of the American Visa Lottery are expressing doubts over the manner the American Embassy in Accra is dealing with them.

According to them the embassy is all out to deny some of them the chance of traveling to the United States of America (USA) without any tangible reason.

The Enquirer is reliably informed that some of the participants have planned to stage a demonstration at the Embassy building at Cantonments in Accra on Monday.

"We have paid $775 as visa fee and that money is quite heavy and now we are not hearing anything positive from the Embassy," one of them said.

Apart from that, the group told The Enquirer that they had to spend another $300 on medical examination.

"We had to pay money for police report clearing us of any criminal records," they told The Enquirer.

According to them, Embassy officials are now trying to use DS230 part one and two of the form to disqualify some of them.

That part of the form requires that the applicant should under affidavit provide the addresses of the person who supports him or her.

The motive is that winners of the lottery would not have the necessary documents while in the United States unless after one month.

Again, the applicant should provide the address of the person to stay with while in the United States.

The argument of the embassy, according to the group, is that they provided different addresses and that is why they are being disqualified.

They, however, told Thy Enquirer that it is possible to have two or more people accommodating a person and another supporting that person.

"Are the Embassy officials trying to tell us that we do not know how to provide information?

"We think that there is ,something fishy somewhere and that must be addressed in earnest for them to do the right thing" they said.

They, therefore, called on the Minister of Foreign Affairs Alhaji Mohammed Mumuni to intervene to ensure that they are given the right deal.

"We are appealing to the government through the Foreign Affairs Minister to help us solve the issue," they said,

Source: Enquirer/Ghana

I HAVE POSTED THIS INTHE NIGERIAN FORUM, BUT FOR OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN GHANA'S BENEFIT, I HAVE POST IT HERE:

1) In filling Qs 10 & 11 of Ds 230, you must fill the name of someone u already know and WILLING to house u and ur family.
2) Both ANSWERS should be the same.
3) The person must be able to take of ur family TOGETHER with his own family.
4) Although MARRIED applicants need AOS (Affidavit of Support), however, single applicants should try to get one (in case)
5) He(ur person in US) now MUST fill the form I-134 in US and send it to u by DHL or so.
6) This doc now becomes one of the documents to be presented during ur interview.
7) THE EMBASSY MAY CALL ON YOUR PERSON IN US CONCERNING UR APPLICATION (either before ur interview or during or after).

In my own case, I was a single applicant, I got my AOS ready,MY PERSON (SPONSOR) was called on phone.

SO, SUPPOSING WHEN HE WAS CALLED, HE GAVE SOME NAGATIVE/NOT TOO GOOD ANSWERS/RESPONSES; WHAT WILL HAPPEN?

So my advice those people is to forget about protesting;

Every WINNER should just be PREPARED FULLY, with filling DS 230, 122 and the like,
birth certificate, all ur documents MUST carry the same NAME (NOT Mohammed and Mohamed) etc, to avoid giving the embassy room to disqualify any one. This is my candid advice. Thanks and good luck.

I HAVE POSTED THIS INTHE NIGERIAN FORUM, BUT FOR OUR BROTHERS AND SISTERS IN GHANA'S BENEFIT, I HAVE POST IT HERE:

1) In filling Qs 10 & 11 of Ds 230, you must fill the name of someone u already know and WILLING to house u and ur family.
4) Although MARRIED applicants need AOS (Affidavit of Support), however, single applicants should try to get one (in case)
5) He(ur person in US) now MUST fill the form I-134 in US and send it to u by DHL or so.
6) This doc now becomes one of the documents to be presented during ur interview.
7) THE EMBASSY MAY CALL ON YOUR PERSON IN US CONCERNING UR APPLICATION (either before ur interview or during or after).

In my own case, I was a single applicant, I got my AOS ready,MY PERSON (SPONSOR) was called on phone.

SO, SUPPOSING WHEN HE WAS CALLED, HE GAVE SOME NAGATIVE/NOT TOO GOOD ANSWERS/RESPONSES; WHAT WILL HAPPEN?

Every WINNER should just be PREPARED FULLY, with filling DS 230, 122 and the like,
birth certificate, all ur documents MUST carry the same NAME (NOT Mohammed and Mohamed) etc, to avoid giving the embassy room to disqualify any one. This is my candid advice. Thanks and good luck.

Navigator, thanks for the information you have shared with us. It's going to help us in so many ways.

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Friday the U.S. will overturn a 22-year-old travel and immigration ban against people with HIV early next year. The order will be finalized on Monday, Obama said, completing a process begun during the Bush administration.

The U.S. has been among a dozen countries that bar entry to travelers with visas or anyone seeking a green card based on their HIV status.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091030/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_obama_aids

WASHINGTON – President Barack Obama said Friday the U.S. will overturn a 22-year-old travel and immigration ban against people with HIV early next year.

The order will be finalized on Monday, Obama said, completing a process begun during the Bush administration.

The U.S. has been among a dozen countries that bar entry to travelers with visas or anyone seeking a green card based on their HIV status.

"If we want to be the global leader in combatting HIV/AIDS, we need to act like it," Obama said at the White House before signing a bill to extend the Ryan White HIV/AIDS program. Begun in 1990, the program provides medical care, medication and support services to about half a million people, most of them low-income.

The bill is named for an Indiana teenager who contracted AIDS through a blood transfusion at age 13. White went on to fight AIDS-related discrimination against him and others like him and help educate the country about the disease. He died in April 1990 at the age of 18.

His mother, Jeanne White-Ginder, attended the signing ceremony, as did several members of Congress and HIV/AIDS activists.

In 1987, at a time of widespread fear and ignorance about HIV, the Department of Health and Human Services added the disease to the list of communicable diseases that disqualified a person from entering the U.S.

The department tried in 1991 to reverse its decision but was opposed by Congress, which went the other way two years later and made HIV infection the only medical condition explicitly listed under immigration law as grounds for inadmissibility to the U.S.

The law effectively has kept out thousands of students, tourists and refugees and has complicated the adoption of children with HIV. No major international AIDS conference has been held in the U.S. since 1993, because HIV-positive activists and researchers cannot enter the country.

Obama said that by lifting the ban, the U.S. will take a step toward ending the stigma against people with HIV/AIDS, something he said has stopped people from getting tested and has helped spread the disease. More than 1 million people live with HIV/AIDS in the U.S., and more than 56,000 new infections are reported every year.

Obama noted his own effort several years ago to help combat the stigma. During a 2006 visit to Kenya, his father's native country, then-Sen. Obama and his wife, Michelle, publicly took an HIV/AIDS test.

The 11 other countries that ban HIV-positive travelers and immigrants are: Armenia, Brunei, Iraq, Libya, Moldova, Oman, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, South Korea and Sudan, according to the advocacy group Immigration Equality.

Several such groups welcomed Obama's announcement.

Rachel B. Tiven, executive director of Immigration Equality, said the ban pointlessly has barred people from the U.S. and separated families with no benefit to public health.

"Now, those families can be reunited, and the United States can put its mouth where its money is: ending the stigma that perpetuates HIV transmission, supporting science and welcoming those who seek to build a life in this country," said Tiven, whose organization works for fairness in immigration for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender and HIV-positive people.

__________________[/

Hi Navigator,

Thx 4 the insight. To add to the story u quoted, i was listerning to an interview in relation to the dv lottery on one of the fm stations in Accra n the host asked the guys from US embassy in Accra what lead the rufusal of visa of those who embark on the demonstration. The answer was that they realise about fifty (50) of the applicant used the same place of stay and sponsor address in the US. This they claim alerted them that there is something wrong somewhere and as such their rufusal of visa.

ADVICE: If the reason given is true which i don't doubt, then lets all be carefull and also be sure that we know the one who is sponsoring us. This is expecially to those whose application are being process by so call dv agent. It will be better to let him use your own sponsor in the US instead of his cos you wouldn't know the number of applicant he has used or will be using the same sponsorship address for.

__________________[/

Hi Navigator,

Thx 4 the insight. To add to the story u quoted, i was listerning to an interview in relation to the dv lottery on one of the fm stations in Accra n the host asked the guys from US embassy in Accra what lead the rufusal of visa of those who embark on the demonstration. The answer was that they realise about fifty (50) of the applicant used the same place of stay and sponsor address in the US. This they claim alerted them that there is something wrong somewhere and as such their rufusal of visa.

ADVICE: If the reason given is true which i don't doubt, then lets all be carefull and also be sure that we know the one who is sponsoring us. This is expecially to those whose application are being process by so call dv agent. It will be better to let him use your own sponsor in the US instead of his cos you wouldn't know the number of applicant he has used or will be using the same sponsorship address for.

Thanks
SO YOU SEE WHAT WE ARE SAYING, how can one person sponsor about 50 applicants, how much is his income?

I CANNOT QUOTE EXACTLY NOW, BUT I DO KNOW THAT THERE IS LEVEL OF INCOME YOU MUST HAVE/HAVING TO EVEN SUPONSOR A FAMILY OF SAY 4; that is a man & the wife and two children.

DV applicants should fill this thing on their own to avoid agents PACKING ALL OF YOU TO THE SAME SPONSOR.

Thanks
SO YOU SEE WHAT WE ARE SAYING, how can one person sponsor about 50 applicants, how much is his income?

I CANNOT QUOTE EXACTLY NOW, BUT I DO KNOW THAT THERE IS LEVEL OF INCOME YOU MUST HAVE/HAVING TO EVEN SUPONSOR A FAMILY OF SAY 4; that is a man & the wife and two children.

DV applicants should fill this thing on their own to avoid agents PACKING ALL OF YOU TO THE SAME SPONSOR.

Those winners who don't trust themselves and rather depended on the visa 'contractors' are the ones who suffered from this scam. Instead of asking the winners to find their own sponsors, they rather used the same address for their clients.

WASHINGTON - President Barack Obama said Friday the U.S. will overturn a 22-year-old travel and immigration ban against people with HIV early next year. The order will be finalized on Monday, Obama said, completing a process begun during the Bush administration.

Hey guys the thread is so ...quite! Are you all guys ok?
I am really happy with President's Barack Obama decision. I know someone who missed a trip becuase of the Law.:mad:
On the other matter, I wish there was a way people are educated about the Dv. If only people applied as individuals, joined a forum like this for assistance rather help from organisations, dubious actions would be curbed. The scam men from organisations keep giving out the same AOS to applicants. Losing $775 is tearing!!! Time spent preparing the papers, getting ready and the anxienty...it is so devasting.
On second thought, maybe even the applicants are to blame as well...they want things on silver plates!! People should know that this is life, You work hard ans smart at everything to excel.

December 2009 Visa Bulletin

DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN DECEMBER 2009

AFRICA 17,800
Except:
Egypt: 9,100
Ethiopia: 9,000
Nigeria: 10,400

C. ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN JANUARY 2010

For January, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2010 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:
Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately

AFRICA 23,400
Except:
Egypt: 12,300
Ethiopia: 12,475
Nigeria: 12,900
ASIA 9,475
EUROPE 19,750
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 4
OCEANIA 775
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN

To all those whose numbers are current, may God grant you a successful interview.

Praise be to the Lord our God who has crowned us in victory

DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN DECEMBER 2009

AFRICA 17,800
Except:
Egypt: 9,100
Ethiopia: 9,000
Nigeria: 10,400

C. ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN JANUARY 2010

For January, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2010 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:
Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately

AFRICA 23,400
Except:
Egypt: 12,300
Ethiopia: 12,475
Nigeria: 12,900
ASIA 9,475
EUROPE 19,750
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 4
OCEANIA 775
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN

To all those whose numbers are current, may God grant you a successful interview.

Praise be to the Lord our God who has crowned us in victory

Thank the good Lord, this is getting closer.
alexee357, are you getting prepared? Your's will be in February, 2010.

Thank the good Lord, this is getting closer.
alexee357, are you getting prepared? Your's will be in February, 2010.

Hi ammeck09,

I had a problem with my net connection so i,ve not been contribution to this forum 4 some time now.
I was very happy when i realise from the bullettin that by hook or crook i'm going to be current in Febuary 2010. 4 the documents all is ready apart from the medicals and the police report but trust me it will be ready b4 Febuary 2010.

Be on your guard cos u'll follow me in March 2010.

Hey guys I got my 2nd NL yesterday. It doesn't really contain much info. Just 3 sheets of papers confirming when your interview is due and that you should bring the originals of all your documents.