• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

travel before interview

Hey guys

Congratulations to all of you who have received an approval for GC in the last few days - I am so happy for you!

I have an H1B visa and my GC interview will be in a couple of weeks. Can I travel out of the US between now and then? I called USCIS today to ask them and they told me that if I leave the country without an AP document, they may consider is as an abandonment of my AOS application. This confused me because I thought that H1B holders can leave the country any time and this will not affect their AOS application.

If anyone has any experience with this, please tell me what you think. Thank you!

Hi Guys,

Yes, Yes, Yes its good news! Me and my family (husband & 15 yr old daughter) have received our notice of approval for adjustment of status. Our interview took 40 mins. We should be receiving our GC within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

As promised here is a detailed interview for those interested :

Reached the office at 10am, interview scheduled for 11am. There was a steady flow of people in and out. At sharp 11am our IO called our family name and took us to her office. She asked us for our Drivers License and for my daughter she took her school photo ID. Since we had filed thru a lawyer she wanted to know if we wanted to proceed without the lawyer and made us sign a waiver form each. She started by informing us we need to take the oath and should we not understand her question we can ask again but it is imperative the correct information is given. We proceeded with the oath. She then informed us some of her questions may make us uncomfortable but we need to answer them. We agreed and then she proceeded with the interview. She started with informing us that she has both our adjustment of status files (DV & EB) with her and we can make a decision which one we need to continue with once she finishes with the DV based interview. She asked each one of us to give our full name, date of birth, place of birth, she verified our address, our social security numbers, type of visa used, date and place of entry into the USA. She asked if any of us left the country since we arrived. She then informed me since I was the lucky winner she needed to check if I qualified for the same. She asked to see originals of the following - birth certificate, passport, school certificate, university certificate (but went on to say only the school certificate was the deciding factor) and letter from the employer. She asked me what subject I majored in university and if my work was related to my studies. She told me my papers looked good and now she has to check records for my husband and daughter. She asked to see originals of my daughters birth certificate and my husbands birth and our marriage certificate. She went on to confirm that I had only one child. She told us she would take copies of my daughters birth certificate and our marriage certificate. I apologized for not having a copy on me. She then proceeded to ask the normal background check questions (police, criminal etc.) I guess these were the uncomfortable questions she was refering to.
After all this she said now we need to make a decision which file we want to proceed with as she cannot have both cases open. I asked her which case will be the fastest to this she replied with a smile our DV case will be approved today subject to us withdrawing our EB case. Wow these were the words I was longing to hear. I looked up into the sky thru her high rise window and thanked the Good Lord for his work. We then had to individually sign that we were withdrawing my husbands EB case. And she made the necessary entries into her system. She took all our I-94’s and also asked for our EAD cards as we will no longer be requiring the same. She gave each one of us a notice of approval and informed us within the next 2 to 3 weeks we should receive our GC. She asked if we had any questions for her. She told us within 5 years we can apply for naturalization. She congratulated us and told us to celebrate. The officer was really, really nice. She asked questions about the history of our country and its culture. We thanked her and left. Wow the interview was lengthy I guess because of our EB case but the result was awesome.!!!!!!
Thanks once again for all the support I have received thru this forum and will keep you all posted when my GC arrives.
I wish everyone all the very best. GOD BLESS.

Congratulations!!! Your interview were different than others, but with happy end. So happy for you.
Good luck, and enjoy in your new status.

Hey guys

Congratulations to all of you who have received an approval for GC in the last few days - I am so happy for you!

I have an H1B visa and my GC interview will be in a couple of weeks. Can I travel out of the US between now and then? I called USCIS today to ask them and they told me that if I leave the country without an AP document, they may consider is as an abandonment of my AOS application. This confused me because I thought that H1B holders can leave the country any time and this will not affect their AOS application.

If anyone has any experience with this, please tell me what you think. Thank you!

Hi Ivanovaz,
I would not recommend you to travel without AP.
Your application is pending, so you can not travel.
That's the reason why we have to apply for AP if we want to go abroad.
If you have emergency you can do infopass, bring papers that prove you have emergency and they would give you AP.

Hi Ivanovaz,
I would not recommend you to travel without AP.
Your application is pending, so you can not travel.
That's the reason why we have to apply for AP if we want to go abroad.
If you have emergency you can do infopass, bring papers that prove you have emergency and they would give you AP.

Ivanovaz, I agree with new one. That is what I've been advised by people and USCIS so I strongly recommend you make an info pass to get your AP before you travel. Don't give them reasons to deny/reject you. You're so close to it.
P.S. I was an H1B, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congra 2010FORM for your interview ................ Yes interested interview but it was good end ,once again have fun and celabrate !!!!

Hi Guys,

Yes, Yes, Yes its good news! Me and my family (husband & 15 yr old daughter) have received our notice of approval for adjustment of status. Our interview took 40 mins. We should be receiving our GC within the next 2 to 3 weeks.

As promised here is a detailed interview for those interested :

Reached the office at 10am, interview scheduled for 11am. There was a steady flow of people in and out. At sharp 11am our IO called our family name and took us to her office. She asked us for our Drivers License and for my daughter she took her school photo ID. Since we had filed thru a lawyer she wanted to know if we wanted to proceed without the lawyer and made us sign a waiver form each. She started by informing us we need to take the oath and should we not understand her question we can ask again but it is imperative the correct information is given. We proceeded with the oath. She then informed us some of her questions may make us uncomfortable but we need to answer them. We agreed and then she proceeded with the interview. She started with informing us that she has both our adjustment of status files (DV & EB) with her and we can make a decision which one we need to continue with once she finishes with the DV based interview. She asked each one of us to give our full name, date of birth, place of birth, she verified our address, our social security numbers, type of visa used, date and place of entry into the USA. She asked if any of us left the country since we arrived. She then informed me since I was the lucky winner she needed to check if I qualified for the same. She asked to see originals of the following - birth certificate, passport, school certificate, university certificate (but went on to say only the school certificate was the deciding factor) and letter from the employer. She asked me what subject I majored in university and if my work was related to my studies. She told me my papers looked good and now she has to check records for my husband and daughter. She asked to see originals of my daughters birth certificate and my husbands birth and our marriage certificate. She went on to confirm that I had only one child. She told us she would take copies of my daughters birth certificate and our marriage certificate. I apologized for not having a copy on me. She then proceeded to ask the normal background check questions (police, criminal etc.) I guess these were the uncomfortable questions she was refering to.
After all this she said now we need to make a decision which file we want to proceed with as she cannot have both cases open. I asked her which case will be the fastest to this she replied with a smile our DV case will be approved today subject to us withdrawing our EB case. Wow these were the words I was longing to hear. I looked up into the sky thru her high rise window and thanked the Good Lord for his work. We then had to individually sign that we were withdrawing my husbands EB case. And she made the necessary entries into her system. She took all our I-94’s and also asked for our EAD cards as we will no longer be requiring the same. She gave each one of us a notice of approval and informed us within the next 2 to 3 weeks we should receive our GC. She asked if we had any questions for her. She told us within 5 years we can apply for naturalization. She congratulated us and told us to celebrate. The officer was really, really nice. She asked questions about the history of our country and its culture. We thanked her and left. Wow the interview was lengthy I guess because of our EB case but the result was awesome.!!!!!!
Thanks once again for all the support I have received thru this forum and will keep you all posted when my GC arrives.
I wish everyone all the very best. GOD BLESS.

Hey x2010x

Am sorry it didn't end right way but .........It is a matter of day you going hear good news soon, It happen !!! keep your faith

Don't even think about it!

Hey guys

Hey guys

Hello ivanovaz,

According to my attorney you can travel with a valid H1B visa stamp and I know many people that have done it. Now, the documentation says that you can't travel while your AOS is pending without an AP. The problem is that if you enter the US with AP you are abandoning your H1B status. So, it doesn't make much sense.

Bottom line, if you are in an emergency, get all your documentation and get an InfoPass, they should be able to grant an AP right away based on the emergency. If you are not in an emergency, I would suggest that you wait until you get your GC.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys does anyone know when the state department will renew the available visa numbers for July I'm Africa and as of June it stands at 45 000 when do they update that, is it the 15 th of may or 1s t? Cape Olive I think you had a good knowledge of this. THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE ON THIS FORUM

hey guys does anyone know when the state department will renew the available visa numbers for July I'm Africa and as of June it stands at 45 000 when do they update that, is it the 15 th of may or 1s t? Cape Olive I think you had a good knowledge of this. THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT ADVICE ON THIS FORUM

Hello steve2010,

The Visa Bulletin is issued around the 10th of the month. Sometimes a little earlier, sometimes a few days later.

Check the Visa Bulletin website at http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_1360.html

Good luck in July

Hi steve2010,

Visa numbers are out around 10th of each month.
Due to your number's being high (over 80k's) it looks like
your only chance is the visa bulletin's being current for Africa.
In the past fiscal years the number was current in August 2007,
September 2008, September 2009.

But as far as I know towards the end of the fiscal year they do things much faster.
And since you already applied and did fingerprinting. (I hope I am not confusing
you with another person, Please Add Your Signature) The only thing missing is
the interview. But to schedule the interview they will wait until you are current.
Hopefully your number will be current and you'll get your card by the end of this
fiscal year. Keep hope...

Thank you for congratulating my family and myself. nepal2010, Norkira, i2009, capeolive, x2010x, middle.com, newone, fitness901 and every one else on this forum.

Wow yesterday I could literally feel myself destressing. The feeling is awesome and I wish each one of you waiting for your Big Day that you all will get that long awaited GC.

Everyone on this forum has been the lucky winner of this DV 2010 lottery and has to get a GC. Just have faith. My wishes are with each and everyone waiting for your Big Day !!!

approval notification

Dear guys,
I have a question. I got an approval notification letter today. It says I'm approved, but also mentions that I cannot use this as a legal document. Is this the welcome letter?

Hi jasmine182,

Approval notice and welcome letter are two different things.
Usually what happens after the interview is:

A. Sometimes USCIS sends an Approval Notice, a Welcome Letter and the Card,
B. Sometimes They send only an Approval Notice and the Card.
C. Sometimes They send only a Welcome Letter and the Card.

Good news is in either case at the end they send the Card
and the sweet journey ends...

Dear guys,
I have a question. I got an approval notification letter today. It says I'm approved, but also mentions that I cannot use this as a legal document. Is this the welcome letter?

Hi jasmine182,

thank you capeolive!

Hi jasmine182,

I was under the impression that it is the same thing. It says approval notice but it starts by saying "Congrats, you've been approved.....Welcome to United States...."

Either way, congrats jasmine182. Your wait will now be VERY short :)

Dear guys,

Congratulations jasmine182, you will be receiving your GC pretty soon.

Hi jasmine182,

Thanks capeolive that was informative. Since I got my approval notice at the interview it would be normal not to receive a welcome letter and get GC directly. Thanks once again.

Just FYI,

A man is but the product of his thoughts; what he thinks, he becomes.
- A Quote by Mahatma Gandhi.