• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hi guys,

I have an update about my case. I received a letter via FedEx from KCC dated March 29, 2010.
My case number will be current in April 1, 2010. I am posting it so that it might help some applicants.
The letter reads approximately as follows:

"Adjustment of Status Mail Form

USCIS has requested that your File to be forwarded to the immigration office for further processing.
The Department of State requires as follows:

1. Lottery Rank number be current and
2. Diversity Visa fees be paid prior to a transfer to USCIS

Before your case can be transferred to USCIS and continue to process you must pay
$375 per person."

And they want me to pay 3 X $375 for my family members whom do not live here.
I will, after getting my card, apply for them as a "follow-to-join" diversity visa application overseas.
After my researches I had found out that I didn't have to pay for my family members
because they were not doing AOS here and I already paid $375 for myself.
I think in that regard they made a mistake by asking me for the payment for
my family members. I'll call them tomorrow before taking any actions.

Good news is Philadelphia Field Office has requested my diversity visa case file.

I kind of new this: Not so good news for early applicants; even if everything is ready
and your files are requested they won't transfer the files before your number is current.
But there are still a lot of advantages of early filing. New applicants, keep early filing...

I'll let you know how things turn out...

That Phila has requested your DV file is really good news capeolive. I did not know that the KCC can't transfer the DV file before the case number becomes current. That's interesting to know. Thanks for the information.

When I started reading your post I thought that it was wrong that you needed to send the DV fees for the CP applicants. Then I read that you found it out that it was incorrect.

Have you sent the payment for yourself already? If not, do it as soon as possible because it will delay your case.

Best of luck!

Hey houselight

As the lawyer mention it..............the judge should grant her for Gc..........In some cases or depend the judge. The judge request to be interview by IQ and approve first
before judge grant the case. It is up to the Boston court judge...........so the hearing is on May.............unless the court accept the motion the hearing eariler befor that. By the way the judge is a women ......and strong

i hope every body know ...........women IQ or women Judge not easy to deal with . Am so sorry to say that but it is

any comment ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey houselight

As the lawyer mention it..............the judge should grant her for Gc..........In some cases or depend the judge. The judge request to be interview by IQ and approve first
before judge grant the case. Ir is upto the BOston court judge...........so the hearing is on May.............unless the court accept the motion the hearing eariler befor that.
That is good news...hopefully he is right:) That will end this long uncertain time, and a new life is ahead.:)

Hello oceu,

I agree with the USCIS Officer, send your AOS package asap but take your time to check everything over and over again until you are sure that everything is correct. Check that the information in all the forms are consistent, etc.

There are advantages and disadvantages for AOS and CP applications. The CP is faster but also has some risks, for example, you could get stuck out of the country if they need more documentation or FBI checks. A CP denial is almost impossible to appeal. If the CP is denied, and you have a non-dual intention visa, it is very likely that your current visa will be revoked as you manifested your immigration intention, etc.

There are some interesting documents on line describing the AOS vs CP processing. This is one of them http://www.jackson-hertogs.com/jh/memos/3090.pdf

I asked the KCC if I could switch from AOS to CP if they take long and they confirmed that I could. They take a couple of months to process the change and schedule the interview in the Consulate. Remember that the AOS fee is not refundable, so you'll lose the fee if you decide to withdraw the AOS case to go for CP.

I don't know where you are located and when your case number will become current. Anyway, I don't think that a DV will take 6 to 8 months as DV cases are supposed to be expedite. Some local offices take longer than others (i.e. NYC and Boston) but they usually speed up the DV cases as the end of the fiscal year approaches.

I would suggest that you talk to an immigration attorney if your case number will be current too late in the Fiscal Year and if you think that there might be some risks in your case.

Good luck!

thank zapatos, fitness, middle.com and all others for your encouraging words and valuable advices.
i appreciate your support very much.

thank zapatos, fitness, middle.com and all others for your encouraging words and valuable advices.
i appreciate your support very much.

Good luck tomorrow in your interview. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. I hope that you have a good one and let us know how it went when you get a chance.

Best of luck!

hi i2009,

Thanks again for the information. My case number was current in the previous month. I will be submitting the forms and documents and wait for the intermediate procedures. Hopefully, if there are no problems, it will move within a sufficient time frame. My biggest worry is whether my submitting the forms back to KCC just now will add additional time for the processing to start.

I have talked with two lawyers, one told me that I should do adjustment of status and with a very high probability, it will be completed in time. The other lawyer told me that I should consider consular processing just in case because he knows of some cases that don't go through on time in adjustment of status. At this point, I want to believe the first would be the case and if within two three months, there is not much progress than try to shift to consular processing.

When I checked the processing times for my field office it states that the processing time frame is end of september 2009, and an "as of jan 31" date indicated above. I think this probably means at the end of january, the most recent case that was processes was sent in end of september which suggests a 4 month period. I was wondering if this is a correct way to make an estimate.

Hello oceu,

I agree with the USCIS Officer, send your AOS package asap but take your time to check everything over and over again until you are sure that everything is correct. Check that the information in all the forms are consistent, etc.

There are advantages and disadvantages for AOS and CP applications. The CP is faster but also has some risks, for example, you could get stuck out of the country if they need more documentation or FBI checks. A CP denial is almost impossible to appeal. If the CP is denied, and you have a non-dual intention visa, it is very likely that your current visa will be revoked as you manifested your immigration intention, etc.

There are some interesting documents on line describing the AOS vs CP processing.

I asked the KCC if I could switch from AOS to CP if they take long and they confirmed that I could. They take a couple of months to process the change and schedule the interview in the Consulate. Remember that the AOS fee is not refundable, so you'll lose the fee if you decide to withdraw the AOS case to go for CP.

I don't know where you are located and when your case number will become current. Anyway, I don't think that a DV will take 6 to 8 months as DV cases are supposed to be expedite. Some local offices take longer than others (i.e. NYC and Boston) but they usually speed up the DV cases as the end of the fiscal year approaches.

I would suggest that you talk to an immigration attorney if your case number will be current too late in the Fiscal Year and if you think that there might be some risks in your case.

Good luck!

hi i2009,
i was wondering if you can share with me what is the process for switching from aos to cp?
i have not submitted anything for aos yet, as my cn is not current (2010as25xxx). but i have letter from kcc to state that i intended to do aos.
as we approach closer to the end of the sept deadline, i am worried that doing aos will take too long and asia's progress in rank numbers is very slow.
your advice and opinion will be much appreciated.

Thank you Zapatos a lot

With My sister case the judge transfer it for May 4. Thank God she still has some time before the dateline. the lawyer will sent a motion this after noon to make it before May and explain to her(judge) how sensitive case it is. what a stress for my sister ...............Same time we all thank full eighteen month ago she was visited my immigration office early morning to deported her while her case was on appeal ...........it was hell ,they took her there and said "sorry" we didn't have appeal receipt ........Any way to get this point able to be in court is wonderful thing...........all this time the judge never wanted to open her case....... Two month after that big ciaos with immigration officers ..........she got NL from KKC good timing. every single progress for her is a bless.

Thank you all you guys..........i can wait to change my signature with card production soon

My congratulations!!! Your sister's case is moving!!! It's great!!! You still have time!!! Keep my fingers crossed for you guys!!! I think everything will be ok and she'll change her status for GC!!!

Oceu, I think that you have enough time for AOS. The USCIS is unpredictable, but most of the cases are taking between 2.5 to 4 months. Even though the processing times should not apply for DV cases, they could give you an idea of how efficient your Field Office is.

The forms and fees that you submitted to the KCC should not add additional time for to the USCIS processing. What is important is that the KCC receives those documents on time so that when the USCIS requests your files to the KCC they are ready. Just remember to bring the KCC receipt to the Interview.

leongsce, I am sorry but I don't know the procedure to switch from AOS to CP. When I talked to the KCC they told me that I need to call if I decided to make the switch and then they will give me the instructions of how to proceed. What they told me is that it could take around 2 months since the time that I request the switch until the consular interview.

Good luck everyone!

Hi everybody!!!!

I have good news!!!

I got my Creen Card!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yehhhhhhhh)))

Thank you very much for your help and support!!!! They really help!!!!! Good luck to everyone who waits for the Welcome letters, for those who wait for their interviews, biometrics, NOA. Good luck to everybody!!!!

Hi everybody!!!!

I have good news!!!

Thank you very much for your help and support!!!! They really help!!!!! Good luck to everyone who waits for the Welcome letters, for those who wait for their interviews, biometrics, NOA. Good luck to everybody!!!!

Congratulations middle.com,

Great news! I am very happy for you. Enjoy your new status!!!!

Congratulations middle.com,

Great news! I am very happy for you. Enjoy your new status!!!!

Thank you i2009!!!
You are reallya great support!!! I wish I could help you to move your case faster! I'm with you!!! I know everything will be good with your case and you'll hear good news soon!!!

Hi everybody!!!!

I have good news!!!

Yay for you! Congratulations!

yeaaaaaa !!! congratulation middle.com.......we really happy for you and have fun

Promise us to stay around okay

Thank you!!!

Yes, guys, I'll be here!!! I fill like we are a big family)) I worry about everybody and I keep my fingers crossed for everyone!!!
Good luck with your sister's case!!!

Hi Ahad!!! Are you ready for a big day???)) Good luck for tommorow!!! I'm with you! And remember what I told you - think only about good things, be friendly, happy and smile))) Good luck, keep my fingers crossed for you!