• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hi
I'm also from Los Angeles area. I had my biometrics done on Feb 2th still waiting for my interview letter. Looking at your biometrics date I shouldn't expect to receive it any time soon. I have a question for you, did you send the original letter which you received form KCC to the Local USCIS office here in LA?

Hi, everybody!!!!

It's time to tell you about my interview)))

I came 10 min earlier))) gave my appointment letter (nobody did't ask me why it was on the white papper))) so guys who got their appointment letters on white paper, don't worry about it!) My time was 12.45 pm, so I was called about at 12.55 pm, The officer called my name and then made a joke, she said I hope it's at least a little bit closer to the right pronunciation of your name (I have kanda difficult for Americans to pronuonce last name). I understood that everything should be good)
I had a really nice officer! She was so polite and great. So, as everybody, I took an oath and took a seat. She introduced herself and started, she asked for my driver's liecense and passport and she began asking me all formal questions - name,DOB, address, tel. number, if i was arrested, deported etc. She was marking something in my I-485 and then she gave me to sign it after all she marked. She didn't ask me any paper i brought with me))) even those mentioned in my appointment letter)) Then she said that she had good news for me today, she said that she has approved me))))) Then she took my extention paper and I-94 from my passport and said that she needed them to make a records about my change of status. I asked her if it's ok to be without I-94 in my passport. and she said that she had already made the changes in the system online and that my status had been changed). She said, that all I need is to wait a week or a week and a half to get my welcome letter and three weeks to get my card) She told about the card overall, like I need to renew it after ten years, how card looks like etc.))) and then she said sorry that it took so little time)) it was like 15 or 20 min)) Then she wished good luck to me and I went home))))
Yehhh))))

Thank you everybody for your help and your support, and I really glad that there is such form as this one!!! I wish everybody good luck in their cases!!!

I hope to get good news soon))

Another great interview! Congratulations, now you can relax and wait for your card!

Congratulation !!! Middle.com .........defnitly it is your turn now ...........you are the one of the first who i saw on the thread and helpful to all
thank you ..........be happy and fun with your new status

Hi!!!
Could anybody help me getting phone number of USCIS and specific number for the auomated voice message. I just want to verify some of the stuff that need to be done after your number is current. In past I have called them and started my conversion from DV lottery winner, I found that most of them are unawere of it. Your help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Thank you every one for your support!!! I am glad that we have such a great forum)))

today I checked my online status and it has been changed from acceptance to document production! I hope everything will be good!!!

Hi!!!
Could anybody help me getting phone number of USCIS and specific number for the auomated voice message. I just want to verify some of the stuff that need to be done after your number is current. In past I have called them and started my conversion from DV lottery winner, I found that most of them are unawere of it. Your help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Hi Olsson,

I think if you have some questions it's better to ask here, and everybody will help you)

Hello Olsson,

Welcome to the forum. USCIS phone number is 1-800-375-5283.
Unfortunately sometimes you get more confused after talking to them.
It is similar when you do InfoPass. If you can talk to a supervisor then
you get some answers.

My advice to you is scan this forum from the beginning have some knowledge
of the process for yourself. If you have any questions meanwhile you can ask us.
Also edit your signature on settings so that we have some info about you to
help you better...

Hi!!!

Hello Olsson,

Welcome to the forum. USCIS phone number is 1-800-375-5283.
Unfortunately sometimes you get more confused after talking to them.
It is similar when you do InfoPass. If you can talk to a supervisor then
you get some answers.

My advice to you is scan this forum from the beginning have some knowledge
of the process for yourself. If you have any questions meanwhile you can ask us.
Also edit your signature on settings so that we have some info about you to
help you better...

I agree with the poster above, calling or even having an info pass can be a good experience or a confusing one. If you call and the person is not giving you an answer that you think is applying to your question, just stay polite and hang up and dial again later. You probable will get some one else on the phone that might be more helpful. At least that is my friends experience. Some just read up what is on their screen and is the regular language/answer and others were very helpful and looked up her case and checked some more and came back with relevant answers.

Our first info pass was before the fiscal year started and we had a question and got an employee who hardly could speak English and was hard to understand. we kept saying we didn't understand what she was saying and she got annoyed and got a supervisor who spoke very well English and explained it very well. So we left understanding what we needed to know. Most government run agencies won't give any answers that can be subject to them given you legal advise.
If you go to small claims court they won't even tell you which form to use just which forms they have, because they are affraid to be sued....and they will tell you to contact a lawyer....USCIS will tell you the same. If you don't know what to fill out on what line, don't expect them to help you because if they give you wrong info they can be sued...this forum can be very helpful.:)

Congratulation Middle this was a very great interview. I received a text message from them today that they have again ordered the production of my new card, so let see. They have already sent me that but I am patient I can wait a little longer.

Hi doxtyp,

My cut-off date is April also. I sent my package on February 8, 2010
they already cashed my checks i am waiting for NOAs.
Just make sure everything is ready, do not leave any unchecked boxes
in forms. Make sure double and triple check everything, finally make a copy
of everything you are sending and send it. If you have any questions do not
hesitate to ask somebody will answer them for you...

Thank you and everybody else for the answers.You are one happy and helpful bunch here :)

Couple of more questions:
1. In I-485 form, Part 2 (application type) - what do you put? I am putting "H": other basis of eligibility - winner of DV lottery. Is this correct?
2. I filling out I-765 as well for the employment authorization. After I file it, when do they give the work permit? Is it before the interview or after? I.e. when should I expect to have a work permit after submitting my I-765?

I feel like I will be coming up with more questions soon.
Thanks in advance everyone!
And congrats with all the GC success!!

Hi doxtyp,

1. Check Box "h" and bottom of it write: Diversity Visa Lottery Winner.
2. You get your EAD close to the time you get your green card, sometimes after.
Most of the people apply for EAD just in case they might need it and because it is free.
You don't have to apply for it if you don't want to...

Thank you and everybody else for the answers.You are one happy and helpful bunch here :)

1. In I-485 form, Part 2 (application type) - what do you put? I am putting "H": other basis of eligibility - winner of DV lottery. Is this correct?
2. I filling out I-765 as well for the employment authorization. After I file it, when do they give the work permit? Is it before the interview or after? I.e. when should I expect to have a work permit after submitting my I-765?

doxtyp and other people with no signature,

Please, from settings go to Edit Signature and put down your information.
Make sure to add your locations and current status in US.
These information is important for the people still in process and for the future
applicants to compare and have an idea of how things are going at different Field Offices...

hi doxtyp,

yes mark H and write - the winner of DV 2010 and your case number!!!
If you file I-765, they, at first, check what type of visa you have, if you have work visa and it won't be expired for at leas two months, probably you won't get your EAD (that what I was tald at my interview, because I applied for it and I didn't get it, because I still have work visa). Also, it depends on what Field Office you have.
So, add the signature, that we will be able to see what is going on with your case. It will be easy for us to give you some advice)

Hi doxtyp,

when you download the latest I-485 form and the instructions, you will see in the instructions they said we have to mark h and write "DIVERSITY VISA LOTTERY WINNER. COPY OF LOTTERY LETTER ATTACHED".
I hope that we can get our EAD soon. Depends from case to case.
Good luck and we'll help how much we can.

Ref: I applied for an employment-based AOS and my A-File is not in the Local Office. The Officer can't approve my case until the A-File is in the Local Office.

I got an InfoPass today and, as expected, the Officer was not helpful and, as expected, she told me to wait.

Anyway, I think that there was a good sign though. She said that the file transfer has been initiated. I asked her what does that mean and she explained that the file was requested in late November/09 but that it might has been processed and so it was withheld in the Service Center. That the file transfer has been initiated means that the file is now ready and in the process of being transferred.

I also asked if the file was lost and she denied it. She said that it is not lost, that it was withheld in the Service Center.

So, here I am "waiting...."

Last edited by a moderator:
Ref: I applied for an employment-based AOS and my A-File is not in the Local Office. The Officer can't approve my case until the A-File is in the Local Office.

I got an InfoPass today and, as expected, the Officer was not helpful and, as expected, she told me to wait.

Anyway, I think that there was a good sign though. She said that the file transfer has been initiated. I asked her what does that mean and she explained that the file was requested in late November/09 but that it might has been processed and so it was withhold in the Service Center. That the file transfer has been initiated means that the file is now ready and in the process of being transferred.

I also asked if the file was lost and she denied it. She said that it is not lost, that it was withhold in the Service Center.

So, here I am "waiting...."

I don't know even what to say... But now at least you know that they are doing something. I s it possible to get in touch with that Service Center and ask them what is going on with you file, where it is and when it is going to be sent? Did you try to call USCIS call center and ask them what can you do in your case? Probably, if you you have smart officer, s/he will help you somehow.
Did she say how much time do they need to get your file?
I really hope that after your infopass your case will move faster!!! Good luck!

i2009,
as middle.com said, you know now that they didn't forget you. So I hope they gonna do something soon. Still you have more time to wait......
But maybe you can call Service Center to check what is going on.
Good luck!!! I am sure you'll get it soon.