• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Hi Ahad,
Don't worry about the cut on your palm. The biometrics is for the fingers only. Take a look at the biometrics code on your appointment letter to know what exactly will be done during the biometrics.

Code 1 - 8 fingerprints
Code 2 - Thumbprint, photo, and signature
Code 3 - Code 1 + Code 2

thank you, i will look it up.

hi thomen,
I'm doing PhD. Do I really need a HS diploma? Or can I just send them a letter from my school that I'm enrolled in a PhD program?

i am in the same situation, I decided to send in a copy of HS certificate since I have it. It won't hurt to include it if you have.

2. I'm working as a teaching assistant at school. Do I need to fill in I-864 Affidavit of Support form or if I send them my pay stubs and get a letter from school that says I have full stipend will that be enough?

I-20/DS-2019 form shows the amount of money you are receiving in exchange for your graduate assistantship work.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear guys,
I have been following this forum for some time, it has been extremely helpful. My case will be current in March. So I'm getting ready to file my documents. I still have questions though. I read the previous 2009 AOS Only forum and couldn't find the answers. If someone could help me I will be grateful.

2. I'm working as a teaching assistant at school. Do I need to fill in I-864 Affidavit of Support form or if I send them my pay stubs and get a letter from school that says I have full stipend will that be enough?

3. Do I need to send my tax return documents to prove I have enough income?

Thank you very much. I will put updates about my case.

Hi Jasmine182

2. I-864 is not needed for DV cases. However, some IO ask for it during the interview. If your IO asks for one and you don't have it, you will be issued an REF (Request for Evidence). Most probably you will not need one. Some people suggest that it is better to be prepared and have an affidavit of support. If you can find somebody who is willing to sponsor you, I suggest that you get the document. Otherwise, just send a your assistantship letter. I am also working as a teaching assistant. I asked my department to provide me with a letter stating the amount of the assistantship. If your assistantship comes with health insurance, you should add that to the letter too. It shows that you won't have to pay for health insurance either. Then, I sent a copy of my original appointment letter and department letter along with the rest of my application. I will also take copies of my paystubs for my interview just in case the IO asks for it. My interview has been scheduled and I haven't been asked to provide an affidavit of support.

3. You don't need your tax return documents. If you want to be on the safer side, you can request a copy of your tax transcript from IRS. I suggest that you take it to the interview and show it only if asked rather than sending it with your application.

Hello ayataf,

I hope that everything goes well with your interview tomorrow. If you can, and when you can, let us know how it went.

All the best!

Hi guys,

I have been reading this forum for a long time and you all helped me a lot.

My wife as a primary applicant got her interview letter 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting for my letter and it's been already 1.5 month after fingerprints. I have scheduled infopass two days before my wife's interview to check my case status but still not sure if I have to bother them ....or need to be patient and wait. I am even not sure if infopass is right thing for this situation cause case status can be checked online and by phone (= online, nothing new). What do you think about it?

Another question is about documents for the interview. On the first page it says "Bring with you: IDENTIFICATION (If applicable) See attachments". The attachment is a list of ALL possible documents :). I-864 is in this list which is weird since this is a form for family-based immigrants and not DV winners (still don't understand why some of you talk about this form for DV cases? I-134 is more suitable to my mind). It makes me think that it's standard attachment for the I-485 cases and it doesn't mean that DV winner has to bring everything. Am I right? Does anybody have the same letter :). Thanks.

Congratulations to everybody who passed the interview.

Hi guys,

I believe it is absolutely helpful to make the infopass and put a service request on your case or just to ask and see where your case is...Perhaps you should do that even way before your wife's interview appointment...also you can ask there the questions regarding the required documents...

actully, I called just USCIS too to put a service request on my EAD application...I think you should take initiative and see whats going on with your case...

I believe it is absolutely helpful to make the infopass and put a service request on your case or just to ask and see where your case is...Perhaps you should do that even way before your wife's interview appointment...also you can ask there the questions regarding the required documents...

actully, I called just USCIS too to put a service request on my EAD application...I think you should take initiative and see whats going on with your case...

Thanks thomen for quick reply, we had our biometrics Jan 15 as well. Btw, we got our EAD cards last week.

Hi guys,

My wife as a primary applicant got her interview letter 2 weeks ago. I am still waiting for my letter and it's been already 1.5 month after fingerprints. I have scheduled infopass two days before my wife's interview to check my case status but still not sure if I have to bother them ....or need to be patient and wait. I am even not sure if infopass is right thing for this situation cause case status can be checked online and by phone (= online, nothing new). What do you think about it?

Another question is about documents for the interview. On the first page it says "Bring with you: IDENTIFICATION (If applicable) See attachments". The attachment is a list of ALL possible documents :). I-864 is in this list which is weird since this is a form for family-based immigrants and not DV winners (still don't understand why some of you talk about this form for DV cases? I-134 is more suitable to my mind). It makes me think that it's standard attachment for the I-485 cases and it doesn't mean that DV winner has to bring everything. Am I right? Does anybody have the same letter :). Thanks.

My interview letter had a similar attachment as well..It also mentioned I-864 but since it was irrelevant, i didint bother..It didint mention I-134 at all, so i didint bother with that as well..The reason i was sure that it is standard is because it even mentioned marriage proof etc. although i am single...Bottomline - some offices attach a standard letter; not all of it applies..You should still bring originals of everything you submitted though..

My friend ignored it also and just had the I-134 prepared in case they would ask for it, but they didn't...they kept asking about how she at such a young age got so much money and when she got a little sick of it, pulled the I-134 and presented it and they kept it...immediately they stamped her passport and gave her the welcome letter...and today the GC came in the mail which is 12 days after the interview so that is pretty quick.

We just had our interview this morning and it went GREAT !!! but we did not get a decision yet :(

We arrived 30 min before our interview time and they took us in 20 minutes later. The interview lasted about 10 min. The officer was very nice and professional.
We first took the oath and then he told us that he will not be approving or denying our case today because he still has to order our DV file from the KCC. He then proceeded to ask all the generic questions on the I-485's name, DOB, have you ever been convicted...........He asked us for our I-94 cards, passports, birth certificates, marriage lic. and DV selection letter. Thats it !!!

i2009, I also had an employment based I-485 pending. He did ask me " I assume that you will not be pursuing that case any longer, correct ? " i said yes offcourse. He did not make me sign anything that says that i am withdrawing that case.

At the end he said that everything looks good, he will request our file from the KCC and as soon as he gets it he will decide on the case. He did say that if nothing changes he has no reason to deny the case.

AND THE WAIT STARTS AGAIN !!!!:rolleyes:

Congrats Iceman. Hopefully three weeks (like Daima's case and my case) and you should have the green card. I have been out of town so just came back to the forum.

Good luck to i2009 and all others with interviews coming up.

My friend ignored it also and just had the I-134 prepared in case they would ask for it, but they didn't...they kept asking about how she at such a young age got so much money and when she got a little sick of it, pulled the I-134 and presented it and they kept it...immediately they stamped her passport and gave her the welcome letter...and today the GC came in the mail which is 12 days after the interview so that is pretty quick.

Congrats Bentlebee to you and your friend on receiving the GC.

Thanks cooldude, my interview is this Thursday. Good to see you back.

Congratulations Bentlebee, now your friend can truly enjoy her new status. Awesome!

This morning I went to inquire about my case during the infopass appointment in the field office in Des Moines. It was really short. The lady took my A number and then went into the office inside and came out to tell me that final decision has not been made to my case. I insisted a reason why it has not been approved but she could only tell me that every case has to go through the same process and mine included. She also mentioned that 4 weeks after my interview is not a long wait. She asked me to wait until 60 days then if I do not hear back anything I can come in again. I was rather frustrated and I knew that she was just checking my status and she could not do anything more. That was it.
At the moment I do not know why it is taking so long for this matter.
I am just sad....

This morning I went to inquire about my case during the infopass appointment in the field office in Des Moines. It was really short. The lady took my A number and then went into the office inside and came out to tell me that final decision has not been made to my case. I insisted a reason why it has not been approved but she could only tell me that every case has to go through the same process and mine included. She also mentioned that 4 weeks after my interview is not a long wait. She asked me to wait until 60 days then if I do not hear back anything I can come in again. I was rather frustrated and I knew that she was just checking my status and she could not do anything more. That was it.
I am just sad....

I hope that your visit today to the local office triggers the IO to work on your case. I really think that sometimes they get too busy working on new cases that they almost forget to continue with the ones they already started on !!!

Drake, what did the IO tell you the day of the interview ? was your file from KCC at the local office at the time of interview or did they have to order it ? because that could be the cause of the delay if they are still waiting on your file !

I am just sad....

Oh no, so sorry to hear that. I too hope that your visit might make them remember about your case...I think we all understand how you feel right now...But please know that you will get it eventually...Its is just bad luck that you have to go thru more stress...I remember I-2009 was suggesting calling the state senator's immigration office..Maybe you could give that a shot if you dont get any status update soon...Again, best of luck!!

Hi i2009,

I checked in to a hotel in King of Prussia right now with my wife and kids. I hope everything goes well tomorrow, whatever happens in interview I will post it on Wednesday.

Dear guys,
I found this quote from previous threads:

"You are supposed to contact local CIS and get instructions from them where to send I-485. Most likely it will be Chicago lockbox. However, the place of filing could differ, depending on local CIS. It could be your local CIS."

I have another question as I'm getting ready to send my documents. Should I ask my local office where to file? Or should I directly send it to Chicago? This local office I tried to contact, even drove there twice, has not really been helpful. The lady on the front desk doesn't like too many questions to be asked and has little bit of information on DV. Does anybody know anything specific about Houston USCIS office?

Thank you in advance. I'll post my documents I'm sending tomorrow after checking.

Dear guys,
I found this quote from previous threads:

"You are supposed to contact local CIS and get instructions from them where to send I-485. Most likely it will be Chicago lockbox. However, the place of filing could differ, depending on local CIS. It could be your local CIS."
?

Thank you in advance. I'll post my documents I'm sending tomorrow after checking.

In regard to, where to file: I would suggest you download the latest "instruction for completing form I-485" from the USCIS homepage and there it is described where you have to send your package to...
or check out this link:
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...toid=3faf2c1a6855d010VgnVCM10000048f3d6a1RCRD

especially bulletpoint no. 7
I think that should do it...