• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Congratulations Happy2010. I was just wondering, when did they cash your check? Mine is still pending.

Hi nnffme, my money order was cashed on monday 10/26. I called the phone number showing on the website which is indicated behind the receipt of my money order. Don't worry, you will receive yours soon.:)

I haven't checked it yet bcs they got the package only 2 days ago. I ll probably check it next friday. Btw my money order is from usps, so there is no phone number in the back. I have to go to post office in person and ask them to see if it's cashed yet :/

What is the best way to get hold of a live person while calling the USCIS.
I need to talk to them regarding my biometrics appointment for monday.

Hello Lucky,

It is my understanding that the form I-864 is designed for family based immigrants (with some exceptions) and that the I-134 is the one that should be used for DV cases.

But, I have read many times that the USCIS Field Office requests the applicant, in the appointment notice, to bring a Form I-864 or I-864A to the interview.

Note that there are a bunch of I-864 forms (i.e. I-864, I-864A, I-864EZ, I-864P, etc) depending upon the situation.

Good luck!

Hi everybody,

I sended I-134 along with my petition and received the NOAs yesterday.And No RFE with. When do they send an RFE for Affidavit of support ? is it sended at the same time when they send the biometrics appointment ?
When/how do I know that the form I-134 I sended is accepted as affidavit of support ? any idea ?

Is it compulsory for the sponsor to be a US citizen? Can't a PR holder become the sponsor?

Hello chooti,

I understand (and I hope someone can confirm) that the I-864 must be signed by a US Citizen of a lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old and, of course, can meet the income or assets requirements.

The instructions for the form I-864 are very confusing because it talks about the sponsor in the form I-130 which is the Form that a family sponsor files for his/her relative.

I hope someone else could give us more information about I-864.

Good luck chooti!

Hello chooti,

I understand (and I hope someone can confirm) that the I-864 must be signed by a US Citizen of a lawful permanent resident who is at least 18 years old and, of course, can meet the income or assets requirements.

The instructions for the form I-864 are very confusing because it talks about the sponsor in the form I-130 which is the Form that a family sponsor files for his/her relative.

I hope someone else could give us more information about I-864.

Good luck chooti!

If you read the instructions properly then you will know that this form is not for DV winners because it is not family based AOS as you just said. No one has filed any form for us in this regard. But since some USCIS officers asks for I-864 during the interview, I am guessing that they just want to see it filled when they ask (if they ask) for it during the interview.
This is my thought. So try to fill that form as accurately as you think you can even though it may not be correct.
This is what I will be doing.

Update my process.

Wow, I fininally received biometric notice and in addition interview letter.
I received code 3 biometric only for me (Page1) and my husband (P2) and interview letters for both of us(P3, P4). Little strangely, all of them (4 pages letter) was in one evelope from Tucson UCSIC office. I was expecting to receive biometric from Chicago but i was wrong. My online update doesn't change anything at all and no email notice as well.

The interview letter looks like this.
First table was our information which is name, file no., address, date.
Second table is
Office location: Tucson,
Date $ hour : Nov 17th,
Ask for : Immigration Services Office,
Reason: Interview concenrning....
Bring with you : This letter. If you eligibility is based on your marriage, your husband or wife must come with you to the interview, a picture ID, and all items marked on the attached form if applicable.
Below the second box is about rescheduling.... and signature of field office director

Here is my questions.
Q1) Some of you said that you have two biometrics such as case 2 and case 3, right? Do you think I will have another notice for biometrics for case 2?
Q2) There was no attached item for requesting to bring for interview and it didn't say anything to bring I-864. Do I still need to prepare?
Q3) If we don't have any relative in U.S. and no supporting from company as well, can we still fill out 1-864? we have a dear friend, he is willing to fill out if he is eligible. Is he can file out that form for us?

CN : 2010EU00007xxx. (Tucson, AZ)
06/20/2009 : First NL from KCC
07/20/2009 : Medical exam is done and we paid $165*2(+100 extra) for two
08/26/2009 : DS122 and bar code to KCC.
08/26/2009 : Check ($350*2) to DOS
09/02/2009 : DV fee receipt arrived from DOS
09/10/2009 : Second NL arrived from KCC
10/01/2009 : My number is current in October
10/05/2009 : AOS package delivered in Chicago
10/14/2009 : Checks cashed out ($ 1010*2 for two)
10/19/2009 : NOA (I-485, I-765) received dated on 10/14/2009
10/28/2009 : Received code 3 biometric (Nov.5th) and interview (Nov.17th) letter, dated on 10/27/2008

I'll try my best:

Q1. I'm not sure I understand the question, but you can only have one Biometrics Appt. Close to the bottom of the letter, it should say Case # 1 and 2 (or something like that) depends if you applied for EAD and I'm sure it'll have Case # 3 if you applied for AP. There should be 1 or 2 or 3 Barcodes (at the bottom). You don't get different letters for each.

Q2. The fact that they didn't request anything else is good. But I guess if you wanna be on the safe side you can get the Affidavit of support, nothing to lose.

Q3. Anyone can sponsor you, doesn't have to be a relative as long as the person is a US citizen or PR.

All the best!

If you read the instructions properly then you will know that this form is not for DV winners because it is not family based AOS as you just said. No one has filed any form for us in this regard. But since some USCIS officers asks for I-864 during the interview, I am guessing that they just want to see it filled when they ask (if they ask) for it during the interview.
This is my thought. So try to fill that form as accurately as you think you can even though it may not be correct.
This is what I will be doing.

Hello simple man,

Thanks for your input. Yes, I read the instructions a couple of times but I could not find anything related (or a clue) for DV cases. I know that the Officers sometimes check the Affidavit of Support and put the case in "Waiting for RFE" if they don't like something on it.

I also researched on previous years' forums and I couldn't find much information about how they filled in the form.

I think that your approach is right, just fill it in the best we can. In the worst case scenario the Officer will reject it and it would be a matter of fixing it and returning the next day.

Hey guys, quick question. So, I did not file AP because I'm on H1, however after speaking with USCIS I discovered that you do not need AP if you have an H1 visa. Problem is, I have H1 status and not the visa. I have to travel early February and hope that I get the green card by then, but for whatever reason I don't get the green crad by then, would the stamp they place in your passport at the interview be sufficent evidence to get back into the country if I travel before I get the green card? Does anyone know?

Update my process.

Wow, I fininally received biometric notice and in addition interview letter.
I received code 3 biometric only for me (Page1) and my husband (P2) and interview letters for both of us(P3, P4). Little strangely, all of them (4 pages letter) was in one evelope from Tucson UCSIC office. I was expecting to receive biometric from Chicago but i was wrong. My online update doesn't change anything at all and no email notice as well.

The interview letter looks like this.
First table was our information which is name, file no., address, date.
Second table is
Office location: Tucson,
Date $ hour : Nov 17th,
Ask for : Immigration Services Office,
Reason: Interview concenrning....
Bring with you : This letter. If you eligibility is based on your marriage, your husband or wife must come with you to the interview, a picture ID, and all items marked on the attached form if applicable.
Below the second box is about rescheduling.... and signature of field office director

Here is my questions.

Q1) Some of you said that you have two biometrics such as case 2 and case 3, right? Do you think I will have another notice for biometrics for case 2?
Q2) There was no attached item for requesting to bring for interview and it didn't say anything to bring I-864. Do I still need to prepare?
Q3) If we don't have any relative in U.S. and no supporting from company as well, can we still fill out 1-864? we have a dear friend, he is willing to fill out if he is eligible. Is he can file out that form for us?

CN : 2010EU00007xxx. (Tucson, AZ)
06/20/2009 : First NL from KCC
07/20/2009 : Medical exam is done and we paid $165*2(+100 extra) for two
08/26/2009 : DS122 and bar code to KCC.
08/26/2009 : Check ($350*2) to DOS
09/02/2009 : DV fee receipt arrived from DOS
09/10/2009 : Second NL arrived from KCC
10/01/2009 : My number is current in October
10/05/2009 : AOS package delivered in Chicago
10/14/2009 : Checks cashed out ($ 1010*2 for two)
10/19/2009 : NOA (I-485, I-765) received dated on 10/14/2009
10/28/2009 : Received code 3 biometric (Nov.5th) and interview (Nov.17th) letter, dated on 10/27/2008

Congrats for your interview appointment, woow , that is fast , did you send any affidavit of support (I864 or I-134) along with your AOS package ?

What is the best way to get hold of a live person while calling the USCIS.
I need to talk to them regarding my biometrics appointment for monday.

After you call the 1-800 number for USICS; choose the option *1. That would connect you directly to a person. This tip was given to me by BlueT41 a while ago.

Hello Lucky,

It is my understanding that the form I-864 is designed for family based immigrants (with some exceptions) and that the I-134 is the one that should be used for DV cases.

But, I have read many times that the USCIS Field Office requests the applicant, in the appointment notice, to bring a Form I-864 or I-864A to the interview.

Note that there are a bunch of I-864 forms (i.e. I-864, I-864A, I-864EZ, I-864P, etc) depending upon the situation.

Good luck!

Thanks a whole bunch, I really appreciate the reassurance. I was thinking the same, and I'll wait to see what they request exactly for the interview.

THNX

Hello Lucky,

From USCIS web-site (can't add URL). Google it and u will find that page.

Who requires an affidavit of support?
Other types of aliens, including parolees, students, and diversity immigrants, are not sponsored using Form I-864. A different affidavit of support (USCIS Form I-134) is used for these aliens if an immigration or consular officer requires it.