• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

My package was received on the sept/30 at the USCIS Chicago.

This is why I decided to send my package on Oct 1st, not day before :).
Happy2010, it's a good news if this is a real reason. You still have plenty of time, just lost 2 weeks - not a big deal.
Good luck!

If you want to apply for EAD and Advance Parole (to travel while I-485 is pending), then you need Forms I-765 and I-131, respectively.

If we already have a valid visa (for my case it is H1B), can we not just travel with our existing visa while AOS is pending? I thought my status will remain H1B worker until the day i receive greencard, hence i can get in and out of country with it.

Thanks.

Hi Happy2010
I had same experience.
My package arrived in 26th Sep.
I thought a week early will be ok and previous year, there was one guy sent a week early and he got NOA first week of Otc, i guess it was in 2006. So I did it like the other guy.
But USCIS sent my package back and I received it 2ed of October.
So I sent it back to USCIS and it arrived at 5th of Oct and 14th, check is cashed out.
I don't have NOA yet but i am expecting to have it today or tomorrow.
They are getting more picky about the exact date to receive. They don't even want to keep your package one more day in their office!!! So someone who send it before the cut off date, if you receive reject letter, i hope they don't send you back, don't get mad just wait until your number is current.
Happy2010, Just come down and send your package back, then you will be fine.

This is why I decided to send my package on Oct 1st, not day before :).
Happy2010, it's a good news if this is a real reason. You still have plenty of time, just lost 2 weeks - not a big deal.
Good luck!

Hello AgentSmith, you did the right thing:) ! lucky to you ! not like me ! thanks for your support !

Hi Happy2010
I had same experience.
My package arrived in 26th Sep.
I thought a week early will be ok and previous year, there was one guy sent a week early and he got NOA first week of Otc, i guess it was in 2006. So I did it like the other guy.
But USCIS sent my package back and I received it 2ed of October.
So I sent it back to USCIS and it arrived at 5th of Oct and 14th, check is cashed out.
I don't have NOA yet but i am expecting to have it today or tomorrow.
They are getting more picky about the exact date to receive. They don't even want to keep your package one more day in their office!!! So someone who send it before the cut off date, if you receive reject letter, i hope they don't send you back, don't get mad just wait until your number is current.
Happy2010, Just come down and send your package back, then you will be fine.

Moreover,for the rejected package , I did not send it overnight, but just normal mail (with tracking number), and the post office told me that it will take 2-3 days, so after calculation, i guessed it would arrive on October/1. Apparently , the postal service worked too fast,and that's the problem.Need them to slow down !!! :D

If we already have a valid visa (for my case it is H1B), can we not just travel with our existing visa while AOS is pending? I thought my status will remain H1B worker until the day i receive greencard, hence i can get in and out of country with it.

Thanks.

That's correct. You can keep your H1 status while your AOS is pending. Actually, it's better to keep that status in case that something goes wrong with the AOS application.

You can travel with your H1 if it is valid.
Good luck!

Hello everyone, FOR YOUR INFORMATION !

You are not going to believe ! here is the reason:
My package was received on the sept/30 at the USCIS Chicago.The NOA was established on the October/06 and the reason they sent back the package is that the petition did arrive at their office 1 day earlier (than the beginning of the DV2010 fiscal year) !!!!! Please, let me scrrrrrream !!!!!
So , I call the USCIS and they said that is it , just send the package back :mad:

I hope this is true , so I just send back the package today ! then the waiting is starting... Thanks for all your guys trying to help me !

A couple of months ago I went with my friend who won the Dv to USCIS and she had an appointment to ask if she could do AOS...the first lady hardly spoke any English and just told my friend it was too early...and we acted like we were stupid. When she got tired of us she got a supervisor since we claimed we didn't understand her, which actually was true :D...the supervisor explaine in good English that before the fiscal year 2010 nothing would be accepted and my friend just has to send the barcode + paper back to KCC and wait for the next instructions....and wait till Oct 1st 2009 and look at the visa bulletins....

Because some people mentioned they got their package send back..she waited till her number became current and then a few days more due to Colombus Day..

I'm so glad for you that it seems to be solved! Wow, what a relief and please update what happens next... :)

Glad to hear your good news, Happy2010. Let's pray and hope that everything goes smoothly from now on.

Hello everyone, FOR YOUR INFORMATION !

You are not going to believe ! here is the reason:
My package was received on the sept/30 at the USCIS Chicago.The NOA was established on the October/06 and the reason they sent back the package is that the petition did arrive at their office 1 day earlier (than the beginning of the DV2010 fiscal year) !!!!! Please, let me scrrrrrream !!!!!
So , I call the USCIS and they said that is it , just send the package back :mad:

I hope this is true , so I just send back the package today ! then the waiting is starting... Thanks for all your guys trying to help me !

Just to make you feel better, the same thing happened to me :) The package arrived just one day earlier and ...
Well, we'll send it again.

Hey everyone

Do you know how you can check if the DOS got the money or not. I sent a money order to them but now i don't know how to check it if they got it or not.
What do you think?

Thanks .
Linda

Just to make you feel better, the same thing happened to me :) The package arrived just one day earlier and ...
Well, we'll send it again.

Hi,

After reading few update about the the date to send in AOS package, I just wanted to understand it. So, Can we send our AOS package when we see our CN will be available? Visa bulletin shows the cut off CN almost 2 months ahead ,so if I understand correctly, can we send it when we see the cut off CN on Visa bulletin? Pls shed some light over this issue.

Good luck.

Hi,

After reading few update about the the date to send in AOS package, I just wanted to understand it. So, Can we send our AOS package when we see our CN will be available? Visa bulletin shows the cut off CN almost 2 months ahead ,so if I understand correctly, can we send it when we see the cut off CN on Visa bulletin? Pls shed some light over this issue.

Good luck.

Here my advice: DO NOT SENT YOUR FILE UNLESS IT BECOMES CORRECT ON THE BULLETIN. It would say on the bulletin when our number is current. Just wait for the day and you should be fine.

A couple of months ago I went with my friend who won the Dv to USCIS and she had an appointment to ask if she could do AOS...the first lady hardly spoke any English and just told my friend it was too early...and we acted like we were stupid. When she got tired of us she got a supervisor since we claimed we didn't understand her, which actually was true :D...the supervisor explaine in good English that before the fiscal year 2010 nothing would be accepted and my friend just has to send the barcode + paper back to KCC and wait for the next instructions....and wait till Oct 1st 2009 and look at the visa bulletins....

Because some people mentioned they got their package send back..she waited till her number became current and then a few days more due to Colombus Day..

I'm so glad for you that it seems to be solved! Wow, what a relief and please update what happens next... :)

Hello bentlebee,

you will be surprised of how many different answers you could get when doing InfoPass or calling the national service center. It is frustrating because they don't seem to know much. Even the Adjudicator Officers have showed poor criteria when dealing with DV cases.

Note: Your friend's case number WILL be current in December. Her number is not current now.

Hello bentlebee,

you will be surprised of how many different answers you could get when doing InfoPass or calling the national service center. It is frustrating because they don't seem to know much. Even the Adjudicator Officers have showed poor criteria when dealing with DV cases.

Note: Your friend's case number WILL be current in December. Her number is not current now.

She knows, but as KCC and USCIS stated...you can sent the package when the visa bulletin is stating your number becomes current, you don't have to wait till that month otherwise nobody will have their interview in the month of the interview and people who's number becomes current in August, would never have a chance if they wait till sending the package in August!

She knows, but as KCC and USCIS stated...you can sent the package when the visa bulletin is stating your number becomes current, you don't have to wait till that month otherwise nobody will have their interview in the month of the interview and people who's number becomes current in August, would never have a chance if they wait till sending the package in August!

Hello bentlebee,

In this case you got to say "she sent her package early". You may confuse people if you say that her number was "current" when it was not.

Anyway, some people were lucky that their cases were accepted when filing early, some others were not. I would not suggest people taking risks if their case numbers are low. Just my opinion...

BTW, where can I read that the KCC and USCIS stated about filing early?

I know that the INS (yes, at that time it was called INS) issued a bulletin saying that lottery winners could file the AOS applications early so they can begin processing the required security clearance background checks, as well as scheduling interviews.

There has been discussions about the validity of that bulletin because it was issued in 1999 and some people believe that it was valid just for that year because the bulletin was not honored in some cases after then.

Called USCIS today to get a status update (was getting a little impatient). Anywho, good news, they gave me my NOA numbers over the phone for I485 and I765 which was mailed out on the 14th. I should be getting mail momentarily. :D

Hello bentlebee,

In this case you got to say "she sent her package early". You may confuse people if you say that her number was "current" when it was not.

Anyway, some people were lucky that their cases were accepted when filing early, some others were not. I would not suggest people taking risks if their case numbers are low. Just my opinion...

So you would suggest that people with a number that becomes current in Aug or Sept. wait till that month to sent the package, while most people sent their package when their number becomes current which is maybe 60 days before.....?

People are responsible for their own actions but advising them to wait till their month is there might be just the wrong thing either...specially since a supervisor stated clearly (in person), that you can sent your package when your number becomes "current". Most people who got their pakcage back was either if they send it before the fiscal yr started and/or if they send it way to early or if they didn't follow the order things needed to be done or papers were not completed or maybe they weren't eligible by just going over the paper work.

Called USCIS today to get a status update (was getting a little impatient). Anywho, good news, they gave me my NOA numbers over the phone for I485 and I765 which was mailed out on the 14th. I should be getting mail momentarily. :D

Interesting. I thought they would not give any information unless it's been a month from your submission. That's what I was told.