• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

BlueT41, i read somewhere that the dates on the question 11 for I-765 is the dates on the card itself - see below:
"Answer "Yes" to this question if you have ever applied to Immigration for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD or work permit) to engage in Optional Practical Training, employment under the sponsorship of a qualified International Organization, or Off-Campus Economic Hardship employment. If you ever were a J-2 dependent with a work permit, you also would answer "yes." If you were issued an EAD, then the results of the application would be "granted," and you will have to provide a copy of the former EAD (front and back) with this application. The Service Center that issued the EAD will be identified on the card, and the "Dates" to record on the I-765 are the beginning and ending work authorization dates printed on the EAD. "

I am a DV2010 winner and I am in student visa. My F1 visa expires in mid of next year, even though I have a valid I-20 for another year afterward (valid F1 status). But I don't hope to visit my country to renew the F1 visa until I finish studies. My problem is, as my visa will most probably be expiring by the time I have my interview (even though i have valid F1 status), will there be any issue in processing my green card through AOS?

Hey lankaputra,

As long as your I-20 is valid you should be fine since you would still be "In-Status" even though your visa is expired. You only need a valid visa to enter the country. My F-1 visa expires next year as well.

BlueT41, i read somewhere that the dates on the question 11 for I-765 is the dates on the card itself - see below:
"Answer "Yes" to this question if you have ever applied to Immigration for an Employment Authorization Document (EAD or work permit) to engage in Optional Practical Training, employment under the sponsorship of a qualified International Organization, or Off-Campus Economic Hardship employment. If you ever were a J-2 dependent with a work permit, you also would answer "yes." If you were issued an EAD, then the results of the application would be "granted," and you will have to provide a copy of the former EAD (front and back) with this application. The Service Center that issued the EAD will be identified on the card, and the "Dates" to record on the I-765 are the beginning and ending work authorization dates printed on the EAD. "

Oh Jeez, isn't it annoying that we pay the attorneys just so they give us wrong information? They told me to enter the receipt date in the NOA but it was incorrect according to this document. It did work for me the last time I renewed my EAD but it is always better to have everything right to prevent delays in the processing of the application. Thanks cm1979 for this information, I will change my I-765 accordingly.

F1 students whose visa has expired with I-20 still valid,

what do you answer in part 1 of I-485 where they ask: "Current USCIS status expires on mm/dd/year"? Should it be the expiration date of your visa or the validity date of your I-20?

Thanks a bunch!

For those early AOS filers. Has anyone got any response (check cashed, Note of Action, returned application, fingerprint appointment notice, etc.)?

Good luck to everyone!

Hi Blue41,

I looked at the last year case and I found one person send AOS package 9/26/08 and the process looked pretty ok (This guy received NOS very early, I don't remember exactly when but around first 7 days of October). I think a week will be fine to send and it arrived yesterday (9/23/09). There will be lots of applications arriving next week and i think it will help us to receive NOA letter little earlier then other package arrive later than mine, I wish.

06/20/2009 : First NL from KCC
07/20/2009 : Medical exam is done and we paid $165*2 for two persons and extra $100 for immunization check and shot.
07/26/2009 : We sent AOS package to Chicago. It was mistake but I just add here.
08/24/2009 : AOS Package returned.
08/26/2009 : We found right track and we sent DS122 and bar code to KCC.
08/26/2009 : We sent check ($350*2) to DOS
09/02/2009 : DV fee receipt arrived from DOS
09/10/2009 : Second NL arrived from KCC
10/01/2009 : My number is current in October (Europe : 9100 is current in October)
09/21/2009 : AOS package sent to Chicago
09/23/2009 : AOS package arrived

F1 students whose visa has expired with I-20 still valid,

what do you answer in part 1 of I-485 where they ask: "Current USCIS status expires on mm/dd/year"? Should it be the expiration date of your visa or the validity date of your I-20?

Thanks a bunch!

Hi gatorchess,

I think it's the date on your I-20 since that's the document that defines your status.

Hi cm1979. Are you sure about that? I've read several different responses to this same question on the internet and the one that makes most sense to me corressponds to what i2009 suggested. i.e. the Date(s) refer to the application date (the date on the NOA that has the date recieved). It does not seem logical to me that they would ask the dates of approval before they ask whether or not it was granted.(Also note that "Date(s)" imply it could be a single date, which begs to infer that a date range is not the default answer). Anyway, I don't think it's a big issue, once we include a copy of the card in the application (they'll figure it out). Anywho, I'm gonna put the NOA recieved date, then next to granted I'll put the dates of work authorisation. Just my 2 cents :)

Hi cm1979. Are you sure about that? I've read several different responses to this same question on the internet and the one that makes most sense to me corressponds to what i2009 suggested. i.e. the Date(s) refer to the application date (the date on the NOA that has the date recieved). It does not seem logical to me that they would ask the dates of approval before they ask whether or not it was granted.(Also note that "Date(s)" imply it could be a single date, which begs to infer that a date range is not the default answer). Anyway, I don't think it's a big issue, once we include a copy of the card in the application (they'll figure it out). Anywho, I'm gonna put the NOA recieved date, then next to granted I'll put the dates of work authorisation. Just my 2 cents :)

I found this on a site where it was explaining how to fill I-765 form question by question. I think what you are doing sounds good as well; i dont think it should be a big deal since it is not really explained properly in the official instructions. By the way, you are also talking about the EAD card you received for your OPT right? (Which probably expired a while ago). I didn't know it was important to keep this card, i am glad i didn't lose it. Also speaking of the same issue, for the service center that issued the EAD; the info i posted says it should be on the card. My card doesn't show it. And i don't even know what service center it was issued by. I got that EAD after graduating from my MS degree in DEtroit, Michigan. I think the school took care of the application etc. that time. Do you guys have any idea what i should write for the "which USCIS office" part of question 11?

cm1979,

I had to call the International students office to get the answer to the same question. I was told that my OPT was issued by Texas center. I went to U of florida, I guess it depends on the location of your school. I was also told to put the starting date of my OPT (mine expired years ago). Good luck!

Non inmigrant visa number

I have a confusion filing the I485 trying to find the NON INMIGRANT VISA NUMBER on my visa.
In my passport I have the visa stamped as a whole page label like this sample

immihelp.com/visas/sample-usa-non-immigrant-visa.html

Which one is the number? The one under control number or the red one?
I found diverse and opposed opinions :confused:

some questions on the forms filing

Hi All,

Good luck for everybody in the process of AOS.
Today, I have some questions :
- on the form G-325A: in part "Applicant's employment last five year" : I am on F1 visa and had an internship for about 4 months, do i have to put the company where I did the internship ?

-on the form I-485 : in part "have you ever before applied for permanent resident status in the U.S ?" , my mother did apply 1 year ago the petition I-130 (Petition for alien relative) for me and it is approved.But to get the green card, it needs to have a visa number. So my question is in this case : do I put "yes" ? or do I put "no"

Thanks for your answer !!

No lies !!

Hi All,

Good luck for everybody in the process of AOS.
Today, I have some questions :
- on the form G-325A: in part "Applicant's employment last five year" : I am on F1 visa and had an internship for about 4 months, do i have to put the company where I did the internship ?

-on the form I-485 : in part "have you ever before applied for permanent resident status in the U.S ?" , my mother did apply 1 year ago the petition I-130 (Petition for alien relative) for me and it is approved.But to get the green card, it needs to have a visa number. So my question is in this case : do I put "yes" ? or do I put "no"

Thanks for your answer !!

One simple answer...... Never lie ..!!

Hey guys,
Do you know if you have to include proof of all your employment in the US? I have a letter from HR for my current job, but would I have to get another letter from HR for my jobs on campus almost 5 years ago?

Hi all,

Hope the AOS process is going as planned for everyone. I'm in the process of getting the AOS package together and I'm planning on submitting the forms for EAD (I-765) and AP (I-131) along with the I-485. My query is:
I have an A# that was assigned to me back in 2004 when I applied for an OPT based EAD. The EAD has since expired. Should I list the old A# in the forms or should I leave it blank and will USCIS assign me a new A#?

[Apologies if this has been previously answered but, keyword searching the threads hasn't been very helpful to me so far.]

Thanks.
-

hi Romeot

i was looking at your Case number and saw yours is AS00018xxx (AS for asia I assume) mine is AS00012XXX. I sent all the required document for I485 in early august and got rejected because the case number is not current yet.
I was wondering whether you know if your case is current or not? your number is higher than mine. I was assuming that if your case number is current, than it means mine is current too.
But, when I saw the visa bulletin for sept and nov.. it just says "asia -- 7000". travel.state. gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4575.html
doesnt it mean, that I have to wait until it says at least 13000 to send in my I485 to USCIS?:confused:
can anybody help me with this too?:(
And what does it mean by "All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately"

here's my time line for my greencard lotterey

05/18/09 - received NL - CN 2010AS00012xxx
05/30/09 - sent DS 122 & DS 230 to KCC
08/02/09 - sent I-485 requirements to USCIS
08/04/09 - received letter from KCC requesting $375
08/05/09 - sent money to DOS DV program
08/14/09 - received receipt from DOS
08/25/09 - received rejection note from USCIS stating I sent the requirements too early
now - waiting for the visa bulletin to say my case number is current

thank you very much!!!:)

G-325: 4 copies?

The old G-325 included 4 pages with the same information. The actual one is only 1. I just noted that some winners from past years included 4 copies and verified on the form download section of the USCIS website that they mention "number of pages"4.

I'm doing the same. Just be aware of this.