• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Previously issued A# (Alien number)

Hi all,

Hope the AOS process is going as planned for everyone. I'm in the process of getting the AOS package together and I'm planning on submitting the forms for EAD (I-765) and AP (I-131) along with the I-485. My query is:
I have an A# that was assigned to me back in 2004 when I applied for an OPT based EAD. The EAD has since expired. Should I list the old A# in the forms or should I leave it blank and will USCIS assign me a new A#?

[Apologies if this has been previously answered but, keyword searching the threads hasn't been very helpful to me so far.]

Thanks.
-

Update the process

Update my process.

06/20/2009 : First NL from KCC
07/20/2009 : Medical exam is done and we paid $165*2 for two persons and extra $100 for immunization check and shot.
07/26/2009 : We sent AOS package to Chicago. It was mistake but I just add here.
08/24/2009 : AOS Package returned.
08/26/2009 : We found right track and we sent DS122 and bar code to KCC.
08/26/2009 : We sent check ($350*2) to DOS
09/02/2009 : DV fee receipt arrived from DOS
09/10/2009 : Second NL arrived from KCC
10/01/2009 : My number is current in October (Europe : 9100 is current in October)
09/21/2009 : AOS package sent to Chicago

Hi all,

Hope the AOS process is going as planned for everyone. I'm in the process of getting the AOS package together and I'm planning on submitting the forms for EAD (I-765) and AP (I-131) along with the I-485. My query is:
I have an A# that was assigned to me back in 2004 when I applied for an OPT based EAD. The EAD has since expired. Should I list the old A# in the forms or should I leave it blank and will USCIS assign me a new A#?

[Apologies if this has been previously answered but, keyword searching the threads hasn't been very helpful to me so far.]

Thanks.
-

Hello romet, Your A# (Alien#) would be the same.

Hi guys,
I have a few questions about the I-485 AOS and the I-765 EAD application I thought you may be able to help answer.

On the AOS I-485 form question Part1. Is the I-94 # the number of the I94 you get when you re-enter the country or is it your current I-94 number that you get with your H1B approval (for those with H1B status)?

On the EAD I-765 form question 11. Next to where they ask for the USCIS office, does the "Date(s)" refer to the date you applied for the OPT card (for those who did OPT or had a previous EAD card) or does the "Date(s)" refer to the dates of approved work authorization that's on the EAD card?

If you had a previous EAD card, would you be filling for "Permission to accept employment" or "Renewal of my permission to accept employment". I think it's the first one since I'm not applying to renew my OPT but rather filing under a different category c(9).

Photos: does it matter if the passport pictures have straight or rounded edges?

Update my process.

06/20/2009 : First NL from KCC
07/20/2009 : Medical exam is done and we paid $165*2 for two persons and extra $100 for immunization check and shot.
07/26/2009 : We sent AOS package to Chicago. It was mistake but I just add here.
08/24/2009 : AOS Package returned.
08/26/2009 : We found right track and we sent DS122 and bar code to KCC.
08/26/2009 : We sent check ($350*2) to DOS
09/02/2009 : DV fee receipt arrived from DOS
09/10/2009 : Second NL arrived from KCC
10/01/2009 : My number is current in October (Europe : 9100 is current in October)
09/21/2009 : AOS package sent to Chicago

Wow, you're early(ok a few days early). Is it safe to send in your application before the DV2010 process begins Oct 1st? I have a low CN, so my number is current in October as well, but I thought we had to wait until your CN was current? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hello romet, Your A# (Alien#) would be the same.

BlueT41, are you positive on this one? I am on the same situation. I was on F1 visa until 2004, then got OPT after graduation and worked with OPT for few months. Then got H1b visa and have been on H1 B ever since. I was planning to leave A# blank as i did not even know that i had an A number. When i previously asked/researched, i found out that people on H1B do not have A #s (and a lot of them had an OPT at one point). Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

BlueT41, are you positive on this one? I am on the same situation. I was on F1 visa until 2004, then got OPT after graduation and worked with OPT for few months. Then got H1b visa and have been on H1 B ever since. I was planning to leave A# blank as i did not even know that i had an A number. When i previously asked/researched, i found out that people on H1B do not have A #s (and a lot of them had an OPT at one point). Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

Hi cm1979. I'm pretty positive. My H1B approval notice has the same A number on it as my OPT. Once you are assigned an Alien number on your OPT, that's the number they are referring to. Check your H1B approval notice. It should be on there as well. If it's not you probably did not fill out that section for the A# when you filled out your original application for your H1. You could always call USCIS or your international office at work to confirm.

Check out this link on A#: http://www.rootlaw.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=34

have you filled out the EAD application as yet? I afew questions, 2 or 3 messages up.

Hi cm1979. I'm pretty positive. My H1B approval notice has the same A number on it as my OPT. Once you are assigned an Alien number on your OPT, that's the number they are referring to. Check your H1B approval notice. It should be on there as well. If it's not you probably did not fill out that section for the A# when you filled out your original application for your H1. You could always call USCIS or your international office at work to confirm.

Check out this link on A#: http://www.rootlaw.com/index2.php?option=com_content&do_pdf=1&id=34

have you filled out the EAD application as yet? I afew questions, 2 or 3 messages up.

I actually just checked it and yes my original OPT EAD (which is expired 4-5 years ago) has an Alien number on it! And yes my very first H1B approval from my first company has this A number written under 'Beneficiary' line. My H1B approvals with the new company (which i have 2) do not include this number - under the same 'Beneficiary' line; my full name is written not the A number.

Thanks for letting me know. Now i am curious whether i should use this or simply say 'none'. Until now, i didnt even know i had one. The link you sent me says that the permanenent A numbers start with 0. Mine starts with 1 (which it states that it is given to students). So they would probably assign me a new one?

I am all confused again!

I havent filled any of the forms yet (not even the I-485); so i am sorry i am not able to answer your EAD form question. My number will be current probably in December; so i figured i still have time.

Check out this link on A#:

Thanks for the info and the link BlueT41. I found the following post after combing through the forum yesterday:

forums[dot]immigration[dot]com/showpost.php?p=1765616&postcount=2

It seems that A#s issued for OPT might not be carried over and a new one is assigned and the link you provided kind of points to this as well. In any case I guess it won't hurt to supply the old A#.

As for the questions you posted:

1. Since I'm not in an H1 situation I could be wrong but I always thought that you're supposed to provide the most current I-94 # (the one on the re-entry card) when ever someone requests it.

2. I filled in the date on the EAD for this one simply because I can't remember when I originally filed it. :D

3. I think it's the 1st option as well since you'd be filing under a new category.

I actually just checked it and yes my original OPT EAD (which is expired 4-5 years ago) has an Alien number on it! And yes my very first H1B approval from my first company has this A number written under 'Beneficiary' line. My H1B approvals with the new company (which i have 2) do not include this number - under the same 'Beneficiary' line; my full name is written not the A number.

Thanks for letting me know. Now i am curious whether i should use this or simply say 'none'. Until now, i didnt even know i had one. The link you sent me says that the permanenent A numbers start with 0. Mine starts with 1 (which it states that it is given to students). So they would probably assign me a new one?

I am all confused again!

I havent filled any of the forms yet (not even the I-485); so i am sorry i am not able to answer your EAD form question. My number will be current probably in December; so i figured i still have time.

Hello cm1979,

The document on the reference regarding the alien number says: "...the rule is: if you are asked for an A# and have one, always give this A#, regardless of whether it starts with a 0, 1 or 3. If you have both a 0-A# and a 1-A# or a 3-A#, then use the one that starts with a 0."

I think that you should provide with your Alien Number. They may want to cross check your information. I understand that you will be granted a new alien number when you file your I-485.

Hi guys,
On the AOS I-485 form question Part1. Is the I-94 # the number of the I94 you get when you re-enter the country or is it your current I-94 number that you get with your H1B approval (for those with H1B status)?

Hello BlueT41,

I have the same situation regarding my I-94 (an expired one that I received the last time I entered the country and a current I-94 provided when I extended my H1B). Both I-94s have the same number though. I am planning on providing the expiration date of my current I-94 in the I-485 form, and then I will provide photocopies of both of them.

I checked the DV2009 AOS Forum regarding this issue but I did not find anything.

Hi everyone

I am a DV2010 winner and I am in student visa. My F1 visa expires in mid of next year, even though I have a valid I-20 for another year afterward (valid F1 status). But I don't hope to visit my country to renew the F1 visa until I finish studies. My problem is, as my visa will most probably be expiring by the time I have my interview (even though i have valid F1 status), will there be any issue in processing my green card through AOS?

Hello BlueT41,

I have the same situation regarding my I-94 (an expired one that I received the last time I entered the country and a current I-94 provided when I extended my H1B). Both I-94s have the same number though. I am planning on providing the expiration date of my current I-94 in the I-485 form, and then I will provide photocopies of both of them.

I checked the DV2009 AOS Forum regarding this issue but I did not find anything.

Hi i2009, I checked the I94# on my H1 and arrival. Both are the same. Problem solved! Thanks. Do you know the answer to #11 on Form I-765 where they ask for the Date(s). Are they referring to the NOA date, the date they recieved the original application, the date it was issued or the actual work authorisation start date? I'm thinking the date the previous EAD was issued (that date is on the form that came with the card)?

Hi i2009, I checked the I94# on my H1 and arrival. Both are the same. Problem solved! Thanks. Do you know the answer to #11 on Form I-765 where they ask for the Date(s). Are they referring to the NOA date, the date they recieved the original application, the date it was issued or the actual work authorisation start date? I'm thinking the date the previous EAD was issued (that date is on the form that came with the card)?

Hello BlueT41,

The attorney told me to use the Receipt Date and it did work on my previous application. I am using the same date for my DV based I-765.

Hello BlueT41,

The attorney told me to use the Receipt Date and it did work on my previous application. I am using the same date for my DV based I-765.

When you say "Receipt date" are you referring to the reciept date on the paper that came with the card, or are you referring to the Notice of Action date application was recieved?

When you say "Receipt date" are you referring to the reciept date on the paper that came with the card, or are you referring to the Notice of Action date application was recieved?

I'm sorry for the confusion, I referred to the Receipt Date in the NOA.

Hi i2009, I checked the I94# on my H1 and arrival. Both are the same. Problem solved! Thanks.

I entered the country with my most recent H1B approval. The H1B approval (I-797) has an I-94# on it. The I-94 that they stamped to my passport at the entry does not have an I-94#. It has an admission number on it and it does not match the I-94# on the I-797! You guys have the same one - does that mean that the inspector at the port actually writes your I-94# from I-797 down on the I-94 card before he staples it? They usually dont even ask for the I-797 - they just look at the visa.

Anyhow, i will probably go ahead and write the one from the I-797 since it actually says I-94# on it; but still wanted to check with you guys. Thanks again, i appreciate it!

I entered the country with my most recent H1B approval. The H1B approval (I-797) has an I-94# on it. The I-94 that they stamped to my passport at the entry does not have an I-94#. It has an admission number on it and it does not match the I-94# on the I-797! You guys have the same one - does that mean that the inspector at the port actually writes your I-94# from I-797 down on the I-94 card before he staples it? They usually dont even ask for the I-797 - they just look at the visa.

Anyhow, i will probably go ahead and write the one from the I-797 since it actually says I-94# on it; but still wanted to check with you guys. Thanks again, i appreciate it!

Hello cm1979,

I am a little confused about your question. I understand that you renewed your H1B and traveled abroad, then you got a new H1B Visa Stamp in your passport and reentered the US with the new H1B Visa.

If this is correct, you should use the I-94 that you got when you reentered the US.

Now, you say that they stamped the I-94 in your passport. The I-94 is the Arrival-Departure Record. It is that white form that you fill when you enter the US. The Immigration Officer, at the port of entry, should staple one part of it (i.e. the Departure record) to your passport. The number is pre printed in the I-94. Click here to see a sample I-94 Departure Record.

Note: The reason why my I-94 number matches the one in the I-797 is because I did not leave the country since I renewed my H1B.

I have a question: Why is that you still have the I-94 that you received with your I-797? What I-94 did they take when you last left the US?

I hope this response helps.

Good luck!

Hello cm1979,

I am a little confused about your question. I understand that you renewed your H1B and traveled abroad, then you got a new H1B Visa Stamp in your passport and reentered the US with the new H1B Visa.

If this is correct, you should use the I-94 that you got when you reentered the US.

Now, you say that they stamped the I-94 in your passport. The I-94 is the Arrival-Departure Record. It is that white form that you fill when you enter the US. The Immigration Officer, at the port of entry, should staple one part of it (i.e. the Departure record) to your passport. The number is pre printed in the I-94. Click here to see a sample I-94 Departure Record.

Note: The reason why my I-94 number matches the one in the I-797 is because I did not leave the country since I renewed my H1B.

I have a question: Why is that you still have the I-94 that you received with your I-797? What I-94 did they take when you last left the US?

I hope this response helps.

Good luck!

I see, i will go ahed and use the pre printed number in the I-94 (says admission number). My approved I-797 also has an I-94 number on it which specifically says I-94# (lower left corner of I-797); but that must be the same number on my previous I-94 that they took when i left US. Sorry for the confusion!

So the answer to your question is that they took the white I-94 departure record from my passport when i left US. I still have my I-797 approval letter and it has an I-94 number on it, hence i still have that as well.

I see, i will go ahed and use the pre printed number in the I-94 (says admission number). My approved I-797 also has an I-94 number on it which specifically says I-94# (lower left corner of I-797); but that must be the same number on my previous I-94 that they took when i left US. Sorry for the confusion!

So the answer to your question is that they took the white I-94 departure record from my passport when i left US. I still have my I-797 approval letter and it has an I-94 number on it, hence i still have that as well.

Hello cm2979,

I get it now. The I-94 on the bottom of the I-797 is not valid anymore as you got a new one the last time you entered the US. You need to use the I-94 that you obtained in your last arrival.

You are right, the number in the I-94 in under "Admission Number".