• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2010 AOS Only

Monday, June 22, 2010

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: AOS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517...

Hello Summet,

I would not apply for EAD at this time unless you really need it. I think that you'll get your GC before the EAD and, as you already got an EAD, I am concerned that it could cause more trouble than good. Anyway, the EAD that was granted based on the rejected I-485 is not valid any more as it depended upon the I-485 application.

by adding another letter explaining early application and rejection. Do you mean , I write one more letter addressing the IO about my experience with the lawyer who applied it early and got rejected. Or what you want me to include on that.I am going to be sending the Rejection letter anyways, but I am sure that the letter should add more strength on it. Any idea capeolive how to start with in the Letter.And I have more more edited version of the cover page with all your instruction..

No. I would not disclose any of that. Just mentioned that you applied early and that it was rejected. Then, include copies of the I-485 Receipt and its rejection letter. But, if you want to do it, include it as a separate letter. Remember, if your cover letter is too long, they won't read it. It got to be as simple as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the reply capeolive and I2009, the thing i am wondering about writing the letter about the declined AOS are:
1 Whom should I address to? Is that going to be the IO or just USCIS in the general
2. I have already mentioned that my application was declined at my on ....date coz of ...reason in cover letter as well, so that wont leave me with a whole lots of things to write in the new letter
3. should i just put the letter in the bundle with the AOS package and mention about the letter in the Enclosers?

And regarding the last question I was asking about what should I write in the tab if i applied for PR. I send my AOS package to Chicago lockbox how ever I got the rejection letter from Irving immigration office, so should i be mentioning chicago or irving texas???

And on the letter of good standing whom should I ask my international officer to address to The IO?

Hey guys I have decided not to send the transcript because at first I really didnt see use of it for the IO officer and secondly my admission office havent got it ready for me and its gonna take her few more days..so i will just hold on to the I20's and will try to get a leter of good standing from university international office.

here is my lette for IO..please review and comment...

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
Attn: AOS
131 South Dearborn - 3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

Dear Immigration Officer,
I am sending this letter in addition to my application I-485 for adjustment of status. This is my second time applying for the Adjustment of status in the fiscal year 2010 with the case number 2010AS00025XXX. I applied for Adjustment of status on January 4, 2010. I got my I-765 and
I-131 approved. However, my application I-485 was rejected because of filing more than 90 before becoming current. I have also attached the letter of rejection with this package. The case number till 28700 is current for the month of August for Asia, hereby I am again applying for
I-485 (Adjustment of status).
Please take necessary action on my application at your earliest convenience. Should you have any question please call me at 972-XXX

Sincerely yours'

DV 2010 case#2010AS00025XXX

I figured it our what the D/S means in the visa expiration date it means the visa is valid till the duration of studies..

one more question, the instruction in I-485 says relevent pagaes of passport, should I be sending only the passport page and visa page or everything that has stamp on it no matter what..

As an example regarding duration of status, if you have a visa that is valid for five years that will expire on January 1, 2009, and you are admitted into the U.S. for the duration of your studies (often abbreviated in your passport or on your I-94 card as "D/S"),

Hey guys I have decided not to send the transcript because at first I really didnt see use of it for the IO officer and secondly my admission office havent got it ready for me and its gonna take her few more days..so i will just hold on to the I20's and will try to get a leter of good standing from university international office.

I don't think it matters as they are looking to see at least high school diploma plus you will send your I-20 which will contain information and your Intl' student advisor can write a "to whom it may concern" letter stating you are enrolled full time and pursuing such and such degree since such and such and have a good academic standing, with her full name and contact info on it. If you want, you can include your "unofficial transcript" to your package and take the official transcript to your interview.

that sounds like a great idea Izzy123, I went to the international office however they are not ready to write the to whom it corncern instead they asked me to just get the enrollment verification letter. Do u think just the enrollment verification letter should be good enough or I have to request them again to write me the letter.

Rather, 'Duration of Status'

Agree with NuvF. It is "Duration of Status." This overrides the date on the visa in your passport. I found the following info from DOS:

"Admission to the U.S. and your Duration of Stay

Upon arriving at a port-of-entry and when admitted, a CBP officer places a small white card, Arrival-Departure Record, Form I-94 or a small green card, Form I-94W for VWP travelers, in your passport. This card is very important as it shows permission to be in the U.S. On this card, the CBP officer records either a date or duration of status (D/S) in the lower right hand corner. If your I-94 or I-94W contains a specific date that signifies the date you must exit the U.S. Some students, exchange program participants, and temporary workers (e.g., foreign diplomats) will be admitted for D/S. If you have D/S on your Form I-94, you may remain in the U.S. as long as you continue your course of studies, remain in your exchange program, or qualifying employment. The date or D/S notation, shown on your Arrival-Departure Record, I-94 or I-94W is the official record of your authorized length of stay in the U.S. You cannot use the visa expiration date in determining or referring to your permitted length of stay in the U.S."

that sounds like a great idea Izzy123, I went to the international office however they are not ready to write the to whom it corncern instead they asked me to just get the enrollment verification letter. Do u think just the enrollment verification letter should be good enough or I have to request them again to write me the letter.

I don't know why they are giving you a hard time on providing you with a letter. As a F1, I think it would be of help to have that letter from DSO stating that your are a foreign student on F1 maintaining your F1 status...You could just ask them to write something like:

"FULL NAME, native of (country), is an international student on an F-1 student visa at the (school name), in (city, state). He/she began his/her studies on (date study began), and is currently registered as a full-time student with (no. of credit hours). (Your full name) is a student in our (college name) (degree/major name)."

This is a sample from the letter I got from my DSO when I was a student. I just told them I needed an international student verification letter for travel purposes. I think your I-20 will suffice but at the same time, I think it would be a good thing to get this letter from your DSO so it shows you are maintaining your status. Also, the reason I suggested you to include your unofficial transcript is because then it will show how many credit hours you are enrolled in currently and will show you are maintaining your status.

What do you think seniors?

If the above sample letter is what they (your DSO) mean by "enrollment verification" then it should be good enough.

Don't get too stressed of flooding your application with everything that you could imagine. Just stick with the I-485 instructions.

Your package needs to include a section for "Evidence of Eligibility", since you are applying under the DV program you need to provide copies (not originals) of your eligibility (i.e. KCC first notification letter, High School diploma or higher certificate, birth certificate to prove your country of eligibility), then you need another section to provide supporting documentation of current status (i.e. photocopies of visas in passport and I-94).

Of course, you need to provide (as stated in the I-485 instructions) copies of the passport, birth certificate, marriage certificate, etc.

The rest is optional and I would suggest that you take to the interview in case that it is required. You can also add as "optional" an Employment letter, Tax returns, or Bank statements.

Good luck

Aos 2011

Hello,

My question is when to send the AOS package to USCIS in Chicago if my case # is 2011EU000001XX?

Thanks!

Hello,

My question is when to send the AOS package to USCIS in Chicago if my case # is 2011EU000001XX?

Thanks!

Hello sk8man,

That's a very low number, it will be current in October/2010. Don't send it before 10/01/10 though because they will reject it (the 2011 Fiscal Year starts on 10/01/10).

Good luck!

Hi Summet,

I agree with i2009. Your cover letter is way too long.
Sometimes people work there get too busy and may
not read everything written...

No. I would not disclose any of that. Just mentioned that you applied early and that it was rejected. Then, include copies of the I-485 Receipt and its rejection letter. But, if you want to do it, include it as a separate letter. Remember, if your cover letter is too long, they won't read it. It got to be as simple as possible.

Hi Summet,

* You should address it to USCIS Chicago lockbox but then they will send the whole thing to NBC.

* Make it short, I posted a sample before.

* You should put the letter in the list and send it with the package.

Thanks for the reply capeolive and I2009, the thing i am wondering about writing the letter about the declined AOS are:
1 Whom should I address to? Is that going to be the IO or just USCIS in the general
2. I have already mentioned that my application was declined at my on ....date coz of ...reason in cover letter as well, so that wont leave me with a whole lots of things to write in the new letter
3. should i just put the letter in the bundle with the AOS package and mention about the letter in the Enclosers?

And regarding the last question I was asking about what should I write in the tab if i applied for PR. I send my AOS package to Chicago lockbox how ever I got the rejection letter from Irving immigration office, so should i be mentioning chicago or irving texas???

And on the letter of good standing whom should I ask my international officer to address to The IO?

Hi Summet,

You don't need the transcript, just send a copy of your high school diploma and its translation...