• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2009 Lucky winners from Nigeria

Hello all,

please i have a question, my DS-230 form, item 20, where we were asked to list where we have stayed since age 16 in order with current location on top, i made a mistake here, my 1st location was listed first and the current last. does this have any effect since i am not the principal applicant? or do i correct this and send to KCC?

Hello all,

please i have a question, my DS-230 form, item 20, where we were asked to list where we have stayed since age 16 in order with current location on top, i made a mistake here, my 1st location was listed first and the current last. does this have any effect since i am not the principal applicant? or do i correct this and send to KCC?

you should be fine

No worries

Hello all,

Hi,

Thanks for congratulating me. As per your worries, i don't think anybody would crucify you based on that, so you should be fine.

Good Luck

Documents for my interview

Hi guys,
I am so sorry i'm putting in my experience late. It was due to my tight schedules and travelling, though i can check messages anywhere but i couldn't type that much. In the spin for the experience i just deemed it fit to start by stating the documents we went with to the embassy. If you think it will be helpful to you, please read if not disregard and sorry for bothering you with this, it's just me.

Requested
-Appointment Letters
-Passports
-Educational Certificates
-Birth Certificates
-Marriage Certificate (If applicable)
-Police Certificates
-Photographs
-Evidence of Support (form 1-134, Letter from Bank, Notarized Employer Letter etc.)

Personal
-Bank Statement x 3
-Letter from Employer x 2
-Letter from Bank x 2
-UK Properties docs (Title deeds, Letter from Solicitors, Valuations)
-Nigeria Properties docs
-Shares Certificates
-Wedding pictures + holiday pictures in US and other night out pictures
-Educational Certificates + Transcripts (All Laminated). So feared we might need WAEC scratch card for verifications.
-WAEC Scratch cards
-Print out of all conversations with sponsor via email
-Print out of all conversations with KCC/Embassy via email
-Print out of evidence of e-passport introduction showing deadline (See attachment below).

Sponsor
-I-134 (Notorised) x 2
-Permanent Resident Card copy x 2
-Letter from his employer stating when he started with the company (2000) and his earnings to date x 2
-Income tax return dated back to 2000 when he started working in US + W2
-Bank Statement (Savings and Current accounts) + Bank Letter (Email copy) x 2

Before the Interview Day

Before Interview Day

We bought clear plastic folders from Pound land (£1 each) to enable us arrange the docs properly and for easy handling. We’ve got all the docs ready for the interview since sept/oct08 except for the Nigeria docs. The weekend before the interview, i was expecting somebody to come from Nigeria with some docs of our properties in Nigeria. We were worried for the docs because we had a very terrible snow in Aberdeen which lasted till Monday 24th November08 and might hinder plane landing. It was about 10inches thick and we couldn’t even go anywhere, even to church. Eventually, the guy came and got the documents from him on Monday morning when it was a little subdued. We flew down to London that very day and to our surprise they never had any snow, which makes it perfect for us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Successful Interview in London

Day of Interview

Our interview was scheduled for 8am on the 26th of November 08. We woke up around 5:15am and set out 5:45am, guess what? It was 2°C and freezing cold. Before setting out we checked all the documents again to make sure we didn’t forget anything and it is in order.

Outside the Embassy

We got to the embassy exactly 7am and we were the 4th on the line. While on the line i saw people making calls and people with IPod, i was smiling. Later on, it starts getting clearer and one of them who’s read the label at the stand walked up to me to ask if they have storage inside, i told her you’re not supposed to be here with electronics ‘cos they don’t. Around 7:20am somebody came out to address us and told people with forbidden items to go to the nearby Chemist to drop them off ‘cos it’s not allowed inside the embassy and also cost £10. We were still 4th after the information but a lot of people lost their spaces ‘cos the place gets filled up every minute.
By 7:30am our letters were checked with the ones they had and asked to go through a security check, just like the ones at the airport. When going do make sure you have a tight trousers ‘cos your belts will be off for some time.
7:45am we were inside at the front desk, our letter was checked again and given ticket with number 5xxx. We moved upstairs to the main hall. They had so many non- IV applicants. Before we went for our docs submission, we had counted 12 Immigrant visa applicant with some been family based and marriage.

1st Stage - Documents Submission

8am on the dot we were called to window 13 to drop our documents. When we got there we met a British African woman herein after referred to as counter lady (CL) and we as applicant (Appt).

CL: Morning
Appt: Morning
CL: Can i have your ticket and appointment letter please
Appt: Gave her
CL: Your fingers on the machine please. Left first then right and 2 thumbs together
Appt: We did
She wasn’t smiling, we were not smiling to
CL: She went for 3minutes and came back with yellow payment form with our names on it and a big brown envelope but she didn’t give us that. Pay at window 12, she said.
Appt: Ok, I checked it and found she wrote our surname wrongly so I told her immediately the surname is not written correctly and she made the correction. We paid $1550 and it lasted 10minutes. Their rate was lower, it came to £1030 instead of £1058 we changed it at Thomas Cook. We returned to window 13
CL: Receipt please and handed over our X-ray
Appt: Handed
CL: Can i have your international passports please
Appt: Handed over 4 passports
CL: Why 4 passports
Appt: I have 2 passports, 1 filled up ‘cos i travel a lot and the other the new e-passport. She’s got 1 old one and 1 new e-passport.
CL: Your marriage certificate, (Original + 2 copies)
CL: Your educational certificates, (Originals + 1copy). She said main applicant only
Appt: Handed and asked why she’s not getting the other person’s certificates
CL: I need only the main applicant. Ok, bring it for record purposes
CL: Your Birth certificates, (Originals +1 copy)
CL: Do you have affidavit of support (AOS) please
Appt: Yes please, we have our own funds + AOS
CL: Bring the two, please. One after the other
CL: I want just letter from Bank and employers + AOS. No bank statements
Appt: OK, gave her letters from our banks stating balance as at Monday, 24th Nov 08.
CL: This is OK but let me see the AOS to. Perfect, but I’ll keep the two for the consular officer
CL: Police certificates please. Nigeria and UK (Originals + 1 copy)
CL: You still have a valid US visa, can you open to the pages please
Appt: Did that and gave them back to her. She tied with rubber band and put it in our file. The visas are on our old passports.
CL: She smiled at us and we smiled to. She said i’ve been working here for years, i mean years she said, but i’ve not seen this kind of calmness and organisation before.
Appt: My wife said nothing to fear about and he’s a project engineer so he does his things like that every time. You’ll hardly satisfy him. He's too meticulous and pays attention to details a lot.
CL: Smiled again and said that’s good, keep it up. She gave us the pink courier form. Fill it for your passports to be returned to you. I wish you the best of luck. Please, do wait at the waiting area for your number to be called by a consular officer for an interview.
Appt: OK, thanks

We went back to our seat and my wife said the 1st time we were here the interview was window 21, 2nd time window 17 and now window 13, reducing by 4 each time. This is the last time we’ll be here, she said.
No photographs were taking from us and AOS for only the main applicant was collected. This doesn’t mean you should not go with yours, please.

Interview Proper

At about 30minutes later, our number was called and asked to go to window 16. Here we met a lad hereafter called consular officer (CO) and we applicant (Appt).

CO: Morning, how are you?
Appt: Fine and you?
CO: Fine
CO: Those are your original documents and your old passports.
Appt: Thanks
CO: Raise your right hand. Do you make an oath that whatever you're presenting to me is true?
Appt: Yes, we do
CO: Your fingers on the machine please. Left first then right
CO: Your wife works in the bank and you work in the oil and gas industry
Appt: You’re right
CO: I can see you’ve been to US severally and you liked it over there, so you want to relocate permanently.
He continued, you’ll want to go to California where your sponsor is for some time. Everything is alright; he pushed the blue form to us through the window opening saying l’ll be putting you on administrative processing (We interrupted).
Appt: Why
CO: Because the finger prints you brought are from Nigeria, you’re supposed (Then my wife interrupted again)
Appt: No, we did the fingerprinting at our local police station in Aberdeen. I then contributed by saying we have done our home work before coming here, it is on (quoted the link on US website) the procedure for obtaining it.
CO: Really, can i have a look at the original again.
Appt: I brought it out and he checked again
CO: OK, good, sorry it was my mistake. Perfect, everything is fine; he picked the blue form back. On your way out give the pink form to the courier for the delivery of your passports.
Enjoy your new life in America. Bye
Appt: Bye, I checked my time we spent just 3minutes

I’m so sorry, on this occasion we were not asked any question apart from ‘How are you’ and 'oath'. He did the talking and we did the nodding like Lizard. It was just a chat and some clarifications made. Finito

On our way to the SMS courier, I checked our current visa on our old passport, it was cancelled without prejudice. Overall, it all lasted 1 1/4hours. The waiting time was far more than the documents collection and interview time which altogether lasted about 20minutes.
I tell you it was just God’s favour. We did our part and he finished the rest.
I hope this would be of help to somebody.
Please do remember, ‘Every case is Unique in itself’ (aadepetun, 2008).

Lessons Learnt

1. Go for your interview early enough; we were there 1hour before the time. Also keep your 2nd NL handy ‘cos they check at every stage except main interview.
2. Study/Research to show yourself approved. I tell you it always work. Bible even said it so do exactly.
3. Prepare your documents far ahead of time and in the order stipulated
4. Make extra copies of your documents. We made 2 each.
5. They’re human beings to, look into their eyes when talking please and challenge if necessary.
6. Look around stylishly while still focused to check things on the consular officer’s desk; you might be lucky to see the next thing that’ll happen. In our own case, I saw the blue form on the side so I thought ahead he wanted to give that to us because of our laminated certificates, so I was already getting the WAEC scratch cards ready and thinking of something else that could cause it. So try to look and think ahead.
7. Don’t hide anything from them; they’re good in finding things out
8. Don’t be scared to talk to them even when they’re wrong.
9. Be optimistic about the whole process from the start and trust in the Lord for success.

Overall, this people are very nice and helpful. I tell you they respect you when your docs are genuinely in place and know a lot about what you’re there for.

Good Luck to everybody and hope to meet you guys at the TOP someday.

THE END

Day of Interview

Our interview was scheduled for 8am on the 26th of November 08. We woke up around 5:15am and set out 5:45am, guess what? It was 2°C and freezing cold. Before setting out we checked all the documents again to make sure we didn’t forget anything and it is in order.

Outside the Embassy

We got to the embassy exactly 7am and we were the 4th on the line. While on the line i saw people making calls and people with IPod, i was smiling. Later on, it starts getting clearer and one of them who’s read the label at the stand walked up to me to ask if they have storage inside, i told her you’re not supposed to be here with electronics ‘cos they don’t. Around 7:20am somebody came out to address us and told people with forbidden items to go to the nearby Chemist to drop them off ‘cos it’s not allowed inside the embassy and also cost £10. We were still 4th after the information but a lot of people lost their spaces ‘cos the place gets filled up every minute.
By 7:30am our letters were checked with the ones they had and asked to go through a security check, just like the ones at the airport. When going do make sure you have a tight trousers ‘cos your belts will be off for some time.
7:45am we were inside at the front desk, our letter was checked again and given ticket with number 5xxx. We moved upstairs to the main hall. They had so many non- IV applicants. Before we went for our docs submission, we had counted 12 Immigrant visa applicant with some been family based and marriage.

8am on the dot we were called to window 13 to drop our documents. When we got there we met a British African woman herein after referred to as counter lady (CL) and we as applicant (Appt).

CL: Your fingers on the machine please. Left first then right and 2 thumbs together
CL: She went for 3minutes and came back with yellow payment form with our names on it and a big brown envelope but she didn’t give us that. Pay at window 12, she said.
Appt: Ok, I checked it and found she wrote our surname wrongly so I told her immediately the surname is not written correctly and she made the correction. We paid $1550 and it lasted 10minutes. Their rate was lower, it came to £1030 instead of £1058 we changed it at Thomas Cook. We returned to window 13
Appt: I have 2 passports, 1 filled up ‘cos i travel a lot and the other the new e-passport. She’s got 1 old one and 1 new e-passport.
CL: Your educational certificates, (Originals + 1copy). She said main applicant only
Appt: OK, gave her letters from our banks stating balance as at Monday, 24th Nov 08.
CL: This is OK but let me see the AOS to. Perfect, but I’ll keep the two for the consular officer
Appt: Did that and gave them back to her. She tied with rubber band and put it in our file. The visas are on our old passports.
CL: She smiled at us and we smiled to. She said i’ve been working here for years, i mean years she said, but i’ve not seen this kind of calmness and organisation before.
Appt: My wife said nothing to fear about and he’s a project engineer so he does his things like that every time. You’ll hardly satisfy him. He's too meticulous and pays attention to details a lot.
CL: Smiled again and said that’s good, keep it up. She gave us the pink courier form. Fill it for your passports to be returned to you. I wish you the best of luck. Please, do wait at the waiting area for your number to be called by a consular officer for an interview.

We went back to our seat and my wife said the 1st time we were here the interview was window 21, 2nd time window 17 and now window 13, reducing by 4 each time. This is the last time we’ll be here, she said.
No photographs were taking from us and AOS for only the main applicant was collected. This doesn’t mean you should not go with yours, please.

Interview Proper

At about 30minutes later, our number was called and asked to go to window 16. Here we met a lad hereafter called consular officer (CO) and we applicant (Appt).

CO: Raise your right hand. Do you make an oath that whatever you're presenting to me is true?
CO: I can see you’ve been to US severally and you liked it over there, so you want to relocate permanently.
He continued, you’ll want to go to California where your sponsor is for some time. Everything is alright; he pushed the blue form to us through the window opening saying l’ll be putting you on administrative processing (We interrupted).
CO: Because the finger prints you brought are from Nigeria, you’re supposed (Then my wife interrupted again)
Appt: No, we did the fingerprinting at our local police station in Aberdeen. I then contributed by saying we have done our home work before coming here, it is on (quoted the link on US website) the procedure for obtaining it.
CO: OK, good, sorry it was my mistake. Perfect, everything is fine; he picked the blue form back. On your way out give the pink form to the courier for the delivery of your passports.

I’m so sorry, on this occasion we were not asked any question apart from ‘How are you’ and 'oath'. He did the talking and we did the nodding like Lizard. It was just a chat and some clarifications made. Finito

On our way to the SMS courier, I checked our current visa on our old passport, it was cancelled without prejudice. Overall, it all lasted 1 1/4hours. The waiting time was far more than the documents collection and interview time which altogether lasted about 20minutes.

Lessons Learnt

1. Go for your interview early enough; we were there 1hour before the time. Also keep your 2nd NL handy ‘cos they check at every stage except main interview.
2. Study/Research to show yourself approved. I tell you it always work. Bible even said it so do exactly.
5. They’re human beings to, look into their eyes when talking please and challenge if necessary.
6. Look around stylishly while still focused to check things on the consular officer’s desk; you might be lucky to see the next thing that’ll happen. In our own case, I saw the blue form on the side so I thought ahead he wanted to give that to us because of our laminated certificates, so I was already getting the WAEC scratch cards ready and thinking of something else that could cause it. So try to look and think ahead.
9. Be optimistic about the whole process from the start and trust in the Lord for success.

Overall, this people are very nice and helpful. I tell you they respect you when your docs are genuinely in place and know a lot about what you’re there for.

4real4u,
Your testimony reminds me of the goodness of God unto me too. Though, they came back to Naija to verify our docs but God proved Himself. I was unshaken in my strong belief that He who started the good work will perfect it. I will enjoin those going for interviews not to go there with anything less than genuine docs please.
On the day of the supposed interview, not a single question was asked apart from the comment: ''Your wife looks more beautiful in real life than in this passport fotograph. Welcome to the US''.

I rejoice with you and pray that the Lord will go ahead of you and your wife to the US and cause men to compete to favour you. Amen.

Congrats and welcome to the US, brother.:)

Day of Interview

Outside the Embassy

Interview Proper

Lessons Learnt

THE END
You are just a wonderful man and your wife MUST be happy to have you as a hubby:)

my Neco Certificate not available yet.

Hi Obi,
I will advise that in as much as you go with your original WAEC certificate,you should have your scratch card ready as well.This will fascilitate the verification of your result.To be on a safer side,please go with it.Goodluck!

I say a big Congrat to all that have been interviewed successfully.

Please, what do you guys think will happen if I do not have my Original Neco certificate with me but a print-out and a scratch card for verification.
What happen was that, I sent the Original Certificate to Neco Head office for correction of my name which was spelt wrongly, it had been corrected and I can verify on-line, but a new one will re-issue in about 2 months time. So can I go for the interview with a print-out and a scratch card. Thanksssssss

Certification

I say a big Congrat to all that have been interviewed successfully.

Please, what do you guys think will happen if I do not have my Original Neco certificate with me but a print-out and a scratch card for verification.
What happen was that, I sent the Original Certificate to Neco Head office for correction of my name which was spelt wrongly, it had been corrected and I can verify on-line, but a new one will re-issue in about 2 months time. So can I go for the interview with a print-out and a scratch card. Thanksssssss

Hi,

Although, you shouldn't have gone to WAEC for the name change, you should have just get a letter from them. The deed is done already, a way out is what we need now.

I think if you can get to do the underlisted you shouldn't have a problem.

1. Go with a photocopy of the original certificate to WAEC and ask them to certify it as true copy of the original and also back up with a letter from WAEC stating that your Certificate is with them for name corrections and it won't be ready until next 2months.

Also go with your passport photograph so that when they certify it they can staple your pix with the copy and stamp. I mean stamp your photography together with the copy. This will show you're actually the owner of the certificate.

The worst the embassy can say is that they'll ask you to bring it back in when it's ready before they can issue you a visa.

2. Go with the previous WAEC certificates as a confirmation of mistake on the Neco certificate with WAEC and your secondary school leaving testimonial which shows you completed a 12year schooling.

3. Go with scratch card for verification which can enable them check and print the one online.

4. Lastly, be positive it is going to work out and start excogitating likely questions and answers you'll face before the D-day.

Good Luck.

Successful interview in London

We had a successful interview in London on the 26th of Nov. 2006 (Coincidentally, while going through the thread, I found out that another member of this forum (4real4u) has his interview on the same day, same place. Congratulations to you.

I once asked a question on this forum which was answered promptly and I have promised that I will share our interview experience as part of my contribution to the forum. I haven't been so active on the forum due to time constraint, apologies for that.

The interview process was pretty straight forward.

We got to the Embassy around 7.30, left home about 6.30am. Joined the queue and asked to do away with all electronic devices. We were thoroughly checked at the embassy gate, took our bags through the scanner and I was asked to drink out of the water we brought with us for my son.
We got into the premise at about 7.50am and took sits at the lobby.

After about 45mins, we were called to gate 13 to tender our documents. The woman wasn’t smiling, she took her time to check our passports, took our finger scan, asked us to pay at gate 12. Then she requested for our documents starting with the principal applicant (my wife). The documents requested (in copies) include Birth certificate, Police Report (Nigeria and UK) Certificates (WAEC, BSc and MSc). Then she asked for my own birth certificate and police report as she has already taken two copies of our marriage certificate. Interestingly, she did not ask for my own academic documents. Then, my son woke up and that was when we saw smile on the woman’s face, chatting to my son. She asked for other documents like employment letter for my wife and I said we did not have it with us. She said that’s fine. She then asked if any of us had been refused entry into the US and the answer was no but I said I have been refused Visa once. She made note on the checklist. After what took like 15-20min, we were handed a pink paper to fill, that was the Secure Mail Service (SMS)form- SMS provides passport delivery services on behalf of the embassy.

Our number was called about 20-25 mins later to gate 16 and the interview went as follows:
Consular Officer (CO): good morning
Response (R): good morning
CO: I will start with the man, can you place your left fingers on the scanner
R: I did
CO: Asked my wife to place her right fingers on the scanner
R: She did
CO: Thank you. He then administered the oath………
R: Yes, we do
CO: Why do you want to go to America?
R: We’ve been there and we liked it there and we believe there are opportunities there
CO: Not sure about that any more with the economic downturn.
R: Things will surely pick up.
CO: can you tell me where you have lived since you were 16?
R: Nigeria and UK
CO: turned to me and asked the same question
R: Same
CO: What will you be doing when you get to the states
R (wife): Will look for job as……..
CO: Do u have a job arranged already or will your employer transfer you over.
R (wife): I work for the government
CO: then you have to look for a new job.
R: Yes
CO: Turned to me and asked, what have you been doing lately?
R: Told him
CO: Where do you intend to live when you get to the state?
R: initially, we would stay with one of our family friends.
CO: that’s a sensible thing to do, isn’t it? Some people think DV lottery is like a national lottery where the government provides you with a house and a car. (The CO ran a quick check on the facts he has) saying ..you have this, ur husband has that,both of you have been to the state before, you have two sponsors in the state and you have your own funds. How did you manage to save up such funds?
R: Proceeds from our investments back home and other savings, we sold out before the downturn.
CO: Oh! why didn’t you tell me, I lost so much money as a result of the downturn.
R: laugh
CO: Have you got the pink form with you? (Handed back our original Docs). Everything looks fine, er… just a final computer check…….there you go. Welcome to the United State of America.
R: Thanks and have a nice day.

That was it in a nutshell. The fact is, keep it as simple as possible and be confident. Our passports have been returned with visas and three sealed envelopes(one for each each of us) to be handed over at the POE.

I wish those who are yet to be interviewed good luck.

Congrats

That was it in a nutshell. The fact is, keep it as simple as possible and be confident. Our passports have been returned with visas and three sealed envelopes(one for each each of us) to be handed over at the POE.

I wish those who are yet to be interviewed good luck.[/QUOTE]

Congrats, i saw you guys and i told my wife some people on the forum might be here to. We sat 2 rows in front of you if you could remember.

If you care we add you to the list of our unending friends, email me with your phone number on anjibobo@yahoo.com.

Once again, congrats to you and your family.

Hi

hey guys i attended my interview yesterday, submitted all the required ducuments but i was handed down a letter that my case requires a further admnistrative process, that i would be called on phone or email to reinvite me when the process is complete. pls any idea of what this depicts cos am worried.

Hi,

I'm sure they must have told you why they're putting you on further administration, so all you need do is open up to the house for right help or wait for them to complete the investigation they're trying to do.

Good Luck

Cut off for January09

See below for the cut off for January 09 and more details on the link:

C. ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN FEBRUARY

For February, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2009 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA 23,300 Except:
Egypt 13,300
Ethiopia 11,650
Nigeria 9,500

ASIA 11,000 Except:
Bangladesh 9,550

EUROPE 17,100
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 5
OCEANIA 575
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 800

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/bulletin/bulletin_4406.html

Good Luck

Hi 4real4u,
Thanks for the info.There is a significant increase for regions in Africa.From 18,300 for the month of jan. to 23,300 for the month of Feb.Nice one!

For February, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2009 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA 23,300 Except:
Egypt 13,300
Ethiopia 11,650
Nigeria 9,500

ASIA 11,000 Except:
Bangladesh 9,550

EUROPE 17,100
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 5
OCEANIA 575
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 800

Hi

Please is there any way i can go for the interview without the 2nd NL or any other way i can get the 2nd NL becos my interview is just 2weeks off n d 2nd NL has not arrived yet. I dont know what to do. Pls help.

Hi,

Obiageli, this is just a note to find out how your interview went.

Nellivel, how's your preparation going? I know you're going to be interviewed this month.

Teebaby, how lucky are you to get into February09 cut off?

I wish all expecting CN to be current and all preparing for interviews the best of luck.