• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

I don't understand this question - could you rephrase please.

I am sorry for my poor English. Here is what I meant: if my assets are worth $200,000, and all I need is to have five times as much as the difference, let's say $50,000, then I'm OK, but if I need to maintain the coverage of this gap for 5 years, then I do not have enough, since my 200K will last for only 4 years.

Here is what I meant: if my assets are worth $200,000, and all I need is to have five times as much as the difference, let's say $50,000, then I'm OK, but if I need to maintain the coverage of this gap for 5 years, then I do not have enough, since my 200K will last for only 4 years.

For I-864, you need to have enough assets to cover 5 x the income difference at the time of application. I guess this is also enough for I-134, and for yourself.

If your assets are very large compared to your income, the officer will likely want some evidence that you didn't just borrow these assets for the interview. Sometimes people are asked to show 6 months of bank statements for example. People who received gifts of money shortly before the interview were asked to bring confirmation that this was indeed a gift and not a loan, etc. You may want to do some research on the previous-year threads.

For such reasons assets can be a little tricky. If it is not too difficult to get an affidavit I would get one as well.

Also, keep in mind that the tests are very specific for affidavits. For the applicants themselves the officer wants to know that you're unlikely to ever go on welfare. The assets will help show that you will have plenty of time to find a job. Your education and other factors will help show that you're likely to find a good job.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your assets are very large compared to your income, the officer will likely want some evidence that you didn't just borrow these assets for the interview.

It is a house in my name with a 100% equity. I own it for a few years. Doesn't look like borrowed :)

You need to have $24,800 per year for 6-7 years until your citizenship (even ig you want to study for more than 7 years). You have $15,000 as a TA. Your wife is not going to work. That means you need additional $9,800 per year for 7 years. That is less than $70K. If your assets are 70K or more, that is enough. Your assets could include real estate in your native country, for instance. If you want to study less than 7 years, you only need money for those years, and proof you will get a job after that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Another thing. You need to support only immigrant children. Those who are US citizens, do not count - public charge is not a problem for them. So, if you have some US citizen children (among 3 kids), you do not need $70K.

Another thing. You need to support only immigrant children. Those who are US citizens, do not count - public charge is not a problem for them. So, if you have some US citizen children (among 3 kids), you do not need $70K.

Two! Two out of three are US citizens! Thanks so much for opening my eyes!

The guidelines are $14,000 per year for 48 states (for a family of two). $17500 is for Alaska. I guess, that is pretty much possible for a TA. And he had to satisfy the same condition to get J-1.

How about family of six, two of them were born in US?

$21,200 per year for 48 states

Thanks, this relieves me a little bit.
But where can I find such info, is it posted on teh USCIS website?
Also, who should sign the Affidavite support form, the Dept or one of my friends?
I was told during the infopass that I should sign my family's support forms, is this right?

Are you relying on your own income? Is it enough?
What is your family income (before taxes)?
Or are you relying on somebody's else income?

Like others here I am trying to determine whether I will need an affadavit of support?

Assets: $3,000 in savings
2007 TR: $33,000 AGI (working OPT)

During 2008/2009 I will be working in a GA position paying $10,000 p/y stipend. I will be finishing my MBA and it is conceivable that I will get a good job upon graduation (after I get my green card).

Is this information alone sufficient?? If not what will I need?

What should you do if KCC said that they didn't recieve your forms or the check?
Although the check was cashed two month ago.
I know that there is no problem in sending the forms again, but the the problem is in the money, we are family of 4.

Did you send the check to KCC? You were supposed to send it to a different place. If you sent it to KCC, you will probably have to send another one to the location it was supposed to be sent from the very beginning.
Also, you could write to KCC, enclose a copy of cashed check, in order for KCC to return your money you sent them by mistake.

About the forms. It is easiest thing to send them again.

Did you send the check to KCC? You were supposed to send it to a different place. If you sent it to KCC, you will probably have to send another one to the location it was supposed to be sent from the very beginning.
Also, you could write to KCC, enclose a copy of cashed check, in order for KCC to return your money you sent them by mistake.

About the forms. It is easiest thing to send them again.

I sent it to St Louis, MO. not kcc. (the address written in the reciept)
The payment should be posted on the kcc copmputer system.
So, when I called they told me that they don't see the payment nor they have recieved the forms on the computer.