• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2009 - Aos Only

This tip may be helpful: when I sent the DSP-122 to KCC at the beginning of September, I also attached a very simple cover letter letting them know of my intention of doing AOS and asking them (in a very polite manner) to please send me a writen notification of the reception of the DSP-122. Today I received the second letter where they "thanked" me for informing them of my intention ot apply for AOS. So for those who have not sent the DSP-122 to KCC yet, attaching a cover letter may not be a bad idea, even though it is not required.

Another thing: the letter they sent me says in bold: "Please be advised that the Department of State Diversity Visa fee must be paid in full before case can be transferred to the USCIS In other words, delaying your visa fee payment may delay your visa process, so pay it a.s.a.p.

So, after a bit of boredom today I decided to call KCC and see whats up. The lady at the other end on the line just acknoledged that they had recieved the forms in July and that they were "waiting to processes them". Waiting for what? ....who knowns!

Anyway, I sent them their $$$ last week, so we'll wait and see :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know a link to a comprehensive checklist of what we will need for the AOS package!?!

Im sending out the documents next week so want to make sure!

Item 10 on that list is a "Photocopy of diversity-immigrant visa approval notice from National Visa Center". What the heck is that? Could it be the 1st NL?
I guess so. And probably a page with the bar code from that letter would be a nice supplement...

I guess so. And probably a page with the bar code from that letter would be a nice supplement...

At the interview, the officer asked me if i have any other paper with the bar code (in addition to the 1st NL from KCC which was already in the file). I didn't have any other with me or in the file. However, he was OK with not finding one.

can somebody tell me the difference between affidavit support I-134 and I-864?

Some people in another forum sent I-864, others sent I-134 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-134 or I-864

can somebody tell me the difference between affidavit support I-134 and I-864?

Some people in another forum sent I-864, others sent I-134 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not 100% sure what the technical difference is between the two, but according to the DoS website,
"Family and certain employment immigration cases require the I-864 Affidavit of Support, which is legally binding. All other cases use the I-134 Affidavit of Support."

Source: Link to DoS webpage

I am guessing we DV folks fall under the "other" category. So, if you are wondering which of the two forms you should send in I would say stick with the I-134. Please see below ;)

--------

There is a DV2009 FAQ* on the DoS website and one of the questions (#32) is:

Q. IF I AM SUCCESSFUL IN OBTAINING A VISA THROUGH THE DV PROGRAM WILL THE U.S. GOVERNMENT ASSIST WITH MY AIRFARE TO THE U.S., PROVIDE ASSISTANCE TO LOCATE HOUSING AND EMPLOYMENT, OR PROVIDE SUBSIDIES UNTIL I AM FULLY SETTLED?

A. No, applicants who obtain a DV visa are not provided any type of assistance such as airfare, housing assistance, or subsidies. If you are selected to apply for a DV visa, before you can be issued a visa, you will be required to provide evidence that you will not become a public charge in the U.S. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support, Form I-134 from a relative or friend residing in the U.S. and/or an offer of employment from an employer in the U.S.

*Source: Link to DoS webpage

I am not 100% sure what the technical difference is between the two, but according to the DoS website,
"Family and certain employment immigration cases require the I-864 Affidavit of Support, which is legally binding. All other cases use the I-134 Affidavit of Support."

Source: Link to DoS webpage

I am guessing we DV folks fall under the "other" category. So, if you are wondering which of the two forms you should send in I would say stick with the I-134. Please see below ;)

--------

There is a DV2009 FAQ* on the DoS website and one of the questions (#32) is:

Q. IF I AM SUCCESSFUL IN OBTAINING A VISA THROUGH THE DV PROGRAM WILL THE U.S. GOVERNMENT ASSIST WITH MY AIRFARE TO THE U.S., PROVIDE ASSISTANCE TO LOCATE HOUSING AND EMPLOYMENT, OR PROVIDE SUBSIDIES UNTIL I AM FULLY SETTLED?

A. No, applicants who obtain a DV visa are not provided any type of assistance such as airfare, housing assistance, or subsidies. If you are selected to apply for a DV visa, before you can be issued a visa, you will be required to provide evidence that you will not become a public charge in the U.S. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support, Form I-134 from a relative or friend residing in the U.S. and/or an offer of employment from an employer in the U.S.

*Source: Link to DoS webpage

Thanks for the info.
So, for my case I'm J1 with family of 4 but my financial document from the Dept. is less than the poverty guide line (~18,000)
So I need a sponsor to fill out I-134 for all of us, just because my income is low, am I right?

Thanks for the info.
So, for my case I'm J1 with family of 4 but my financial document from the Dept. is less than the poverty guide line (~18,000)
So I need a sponsor to fill out I-134 for all of us, just because my income is low, am I right?

Yes. According to the instructions on the form I-134 a separate affidavit must be submitted for each person. To the best of my understanding anyway :)

For myself I am planning on staying clear of the affidavit and just relying on my employment letter.

Sidenote: I think it's funny that when it's just a few days to the new fiscal year we all start second guessing ourselves and the things we've learnt about the DV process. Is this happening to you too?

Paystub or Employment Letter

Hi guys,

Instead of Affadavit of support can I just send my paystub. I am H1 B and currently working.
I currently do not have my job offer letter...and I need to submit my application as my number becomes current in October.
Any thoughts if sending just the paystub and h1b document(i-797)will be sufficient?

Thanks.

Hi guys,

Instead of Affadavit of support can I just send my paystub. I am H1 B and currently working.
I currently do not have my job offer letter...and I need to submit my application as my number becomes current in October.
Any thoughts if sending just the paystub and h1b document(i-797)will be sufficient?

Thanks.

Maybe you can get just a simple letter from your employer or even your supervisor stating your job title, start date and annual income (to show that you are currently and legally employed). Have them print it on company letterhead. Accompany the paystabs with said letter and copies of all your I-797A - H1 approval notices. Just a thought ;)

I am not planning on sending my paystabs with the I485, I'll save those for the interview (fingers crossed)

Hi guys,

Thanks.

If I were you, I will wait until I get the emploment letter from the company. But if you can't wait, you can always take it to the interview.....

Hey guys

Sending my stuff out tomorrow. I was thinking it would be helpful for everyone to share what they are sending in thier package. Might help eachother catch something (call me paranoid).

If you could post a detailed list of what your sending it would be great!

Updated October 30, 2008: I sent sent everything 2 day USPS Priority!

I had the following package prepared (photocopies or originals where applicable):

0. Cover letter
1. I-485 - Application to Adjust Status + 2 Passport size photographs.
2. I-485 fee payment (personal check).
3. I-693 - Medical Examination sealed envelope.
4. Birth certificate and national ID.
5. Highschool diploma and leaving certificate.
6. University diplomas/certs.
7. Resume (showing detailed work history)
8. Letters of employment and salary contracts.
9. Passport (all relevant pages).
10. I-94.
11. SSN card.
11. I-797A (current H-1B Approval notices).
12. Form G-325A - Biographic Information.
13. DV2009 Notification Letter, bar code page, DS122 acknowledgement letter.
14. DoS DV fee payment reciept.
15. Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization + 2 photographs size pictures.

I decided to file the I-765 but not the I-131 due to the potential negative side effects that Advance Parole has on H-1B status.

Not included in I-485 package but prepared for interview if invited:

1. Previous I-20s (yeah I have a zillion of them)
2. State tax transcripts for 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
3. Federal tax transcripts & IRS 1040s for 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004
4. University academic transcripts
5. Official employment contracts showing current job descriptions.
6. Bank & Asset statements
7. H-1B application packets (A lot of infomation there)
8. Previous I-765 approval notices
9. Old passports
10. SSN Card and State DL
11. Paystabs (latest 12)
13. ???

I have a question. I heard that the medical report will be sealed by civil surgeon. So, should I just put the sealed envolope in the package sent to Chicago? However, I heard that I should send only copy and keep all original document with me until interview. If so, I'll ask my physiciann to make one copy before he seal an envelope.

Thanks

Yes. According to the instructions on the form I-134 a separate affidavit must be submitted for each person. To the best of my understanding anyway :)

For myself I am planning on staying clear of the affidavit and just relying on my employment letter.

Sidenote: I think it's funny that when it's just a few days to the new fiscal year we all start second guessing ourselves and the things we've learnt about the DV process. Is this happening to you too?

if you are above the poverty line, you are fine.
if i send my case without the I-134, will they deny it?
Also, in section 3 of that form there is a space for the spouse and kids, does my sponsor need to fill out a form for every one?