• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2008 Lucky Winners From Nigeria

Hi guys I'm new to this forum but my question in different: I dont know where to start posting but my question is: Is it possible for me to change my Permanent Residence address at the port of entry 'cos I filled in Texas before and now going go Michigan 'cos of a reason? and

Do I need to attest my documents at the ministry of education before going?

Obtained Visa - June 12 2008

Welcome

Hi guys I'm new to this forum but my question in different: I dont know where to start posting but my question is: Is it possible for me to change my Permanent Residence address at the port of entry 'cos I filled in Texas before and now going go Michigan 'cos of a reason? and

Do I need to attest my documents at the ministry of education before going?

Obtained Visa - June 12 2008

Hi,

Welcome.

You can change your address at the port of entry and as per education certificate, read up how to do it on the link below. This guys can help you with the evaluation of your credentials to US standard. There are some other bodies but this is the one i can remember for now.

www.wes.org

I hope it helps?

hi

i am in Maryland.i went to the Social Security Adminstration office to inquire about my SSC but was told to wait until afer 26 days.if i do not get it within that period i can then come and apply.is this what happens in all states?lookinh thro the posts i realise some people had theirs quite early.there is so much talk here about a driver license as prerequisite 4 jobs.are there no jobs which do not demand driver licenses?

Hi,

I concur with Johnkent 'cos US's got a very poor public transportation system.

Meanwhile, you might try obtaining International driving licence b4 leaving Nigeria which i think will allow you drive for some time b4 changing to US licence.

I stand corrected.

I hope it helps?

Hello 4real4u.i am not from nigeria.i am from Cameroon.i am already in maryland.i think i will just have to look 4 some jobs which do not require a license and then see how i can obtain a license later.but that will limit me.but what i cannot understand is how some one is paying u $8.5 per hour on an 8 hr work day and is requesting that u must own a car.am not saying all jobs require that.but when that is a preriquisite how does the person expect u to earn that kind of a salary and own a car?

Hello 4real4u.i am not from nigeria.i am from Cameroon.i am already in maryland.i think i will just have to look 4 some jobs which do not require a license and then see how i can obtain a license later.but that will limit me.but what i cannot understand is how some one is paying u $8.5 per hour on an 8 hr work day and is requesting that u must own a car.am not saying all jobs require that.but when that is a preriquisite how does the person expect u to earn that kind of a salary and own a car?

It is a myth that you need to have a car if you live in the USA. It all depends if you live in an urban area or you live in the suburbs. If you live in Baltimore, MD, Chicago, IL, Philadelphia, PA, Buffalo, NY, Newark, NJ, New York, NY, etc... and surrounding areas you will not need a car to get around, esp if you work within the city itself.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome to America.haha. $8.50/hr is what a high percentage of Americans make.You would have to have 2-3 other jobs in order to make it with a such a salary. Goodluck buddy. Its tough out here.

Don't even worry about valton. The trick is to start somewhere then work your way up to where you want to be. When I first arrived in the US I was making 5.15/hr.

can someone help

can any forum member give me an answer to this.how long does the SSA take to issue a Social Security Number and card.i came in on the 6th of October and i have not yet been issued a card.when i called the SSA office in charge of my zip area she told me i might wait 4 three months.reading the posts i find that many pple thro their signature recieved theirs in less than a month.did u pple apply again 4 the card aftert entering the USA,or Form DS 230 took care of that.is there anyone who is in Maryland and had Dulles airport as POE.i cannot apply 4 any work bc of this

can someone help

can any forum member give me an answer to this.how long does the SSA take to issue a Social Security Number and card.i came in on the 6th of October and i have not yet been issued a card.when i called the SSA office in charge of my zip area she told me i might wait 4 three months.reading the posts i find that many pple thro their signature recieved theirs in less than a month.did u pple apply again 4 the card aftert entering the USA,or Form DS 230 took care of that.is there anyone who is in Maryland and had Dulles airport as POE.i cannot apply 4 any work bc of this

Valton,
Let me tell you my experience. Our POE was Dulles and we stay in MD. We went to the SSA office a week after arrival but told that the SSN was initiated at the POE, after checking it on the system, but however advised to come back after 2 weeks if not yet received. We had to go back after 2 weeks and it was then ''re-initiated''. This took another 2 weeks or more for all the SSNs to arrive.
My advice is that you go back there 2 weeks later. Ours took 2 weeks because of the family size. Hope this helps.

any idea on how how to write a letter of job offer?

Hello guy,
i've gotten a job in waiting, the employer of this job wants to know how to go about the offer letter. Any ideas?

Valton,
Let me tell you my experience. Our POE was Dulles and we stay in MD. We went to the SSA office a week after arrival but told that the SSN was initiated at the POE, after checking it on the system, but however advised to come back after 2 weeks if not yet received. We had to go back after 2 weeks and it was then ''re-initiated''. This took another 2 weeks or more for all the SSNs to arrive.
My advice is that you go back there 2 weeks later. Ours took 2 weeks because of the family size. Hope this helps.

I went to Rockville where the local SSA office in charge of my zip area and was told to come in 26 days if i do not get the card.after 26 days i called the office but the lady only told me to call again to verify every week and that it may take 3 months.i won the DV with my family but i came first .they will follow me later.someone just adviced that i contact the immigration office.i will do that and then see what is next.i was of the impression that i will get the card in about 3 weeks.where exactly did u go to 4 it to be "re-initiated"

I went to Rockville where the local SSA office in charge of my zip area and was told to come in 26 days if i do not get the card.after 26 days i called the office but the lady only told me to call again to verify every week and that it may take 3 months.i won the DV with my family but i came first .they will follow me later.someone just adviced that i contact the immigration office.i will do that and then see what is next.i was of the impression that i will get the card in about 3 weeks.where exactly did u go to 4 it to be "re-initiated"

Pls, let us get something right! Are you referring to the Social Security Card or the Green Card itself? I am sort of confused here.

Regards

Hi guys, I want to say this, you guys are doing a very good job. I'm really happy the way nigerians are discussing issues concerning.This is what we need to build our nation and help our neighbours. I will like to draw our attention further, there are lots of people out there that have various issues and they look for answer from people that have similiar experience.
Please Like we all know that this forum is mainly for immigration,visa and lottery. But there are other areas in our life that need a great change.
Lot of people are out there that looking for advice on health , education. business etc. For this purpose www.gumnigerians.com is created to give nigerians the great priviledge to dicuss about issues affect people, industries, religions and the nation herself. I will encourage every great participants in this forum to join and build a forum where nigerians can get answer for their problems.
Please take few minutes to visit the site and click on any image to get to the forum and please feel free to add any question and reply to any post.
Together we can make great Nation

Pls, let us get something right! Are you referring to the Social Security Card or the Green Card itself? I am sort of confused here.

Regards

i am refering to the Social Security Card indicating ur Social Security Number not the Green Card

i am refering to the Social Security Card indicating ur Social Security Number not the Green Card

As I said earlier, we were told that the card was initiated at the POE (Dulles) which was not the case. We went there again after waiting for 2 weeks as instructed and they had to order again. It took 3 weeks or thereabout for the cards to come because of my very large family size. They gave a gap of 2 days to apply for each person for security reasons so that the numbers would not follow one another. From the date of application, each card came less than 10 days (not working days) to arrive.
I cant understand why someone gave you such an erroneous info. If the SSN card takes 3 months then the GC should be 3 years.....very funny.
I will advise you go there on monday morning prayerfully and avoid talking to same person, if possible. Tell them that you have been in town for a month. I am sure that something positive will happen on monday, if you go there.
It is well.

As I said earlier, we were told that the card was initiated at the POE (Dulles) which was not the case. We went there again after waiting for 2 weeks as instructed and they had to order again. It took 3 weeks or thereabout for the cards to come because of my very large family size. They gave a gap of 2 days to apply for each person for security reasons so that the numbers would not follow one another. From the date of application, each card came less than 10 days (not working days) to arrive.
I cant understand why someone gave you such an erroneous info. If the SSN card takes 3 months then the GC should be 3 years.....very funny.
I will advise you go there on monday morning prayerfully and avoid talking to same person, if possible. Tell them that you have been in town for a month. I am sure that something positive will happen on monday, if you go there.
It is well.

can u believe this.i went to the Social Security Administration office and was told there that my name as it appears on my visa is not found in their system.after several attempts they could not still locate my name.the lady gave me her number and promised she will call me but that i could also call.is that the same kind of problem u faced.if any forum member has ever faced such a problem please tell me how u went about it.someone told me that at the POE when the passport is stamped there is a number written on the stamp.no such number was written on my passport.what is the significance of that number

Hello, every one in the house, am sorry have not been contributing to the forum recently, have been busy.

I want to congratulate those that have gotten their Visas and those who have successfully entered yankee, wish you guys best of luck.

I got my Green Card on Monday, am glad because God never stops performing his work, even more than my expectations.

I wish everyone all the best in life.

Hello, every one in the house, am sorry have not been contributing to the forum recently, have been busy.

I want to congratulate those that have gotten their Visas and those who have successfully entered yankee, wish you guys best of luck.

I got my Green Card on Monday, am glad because God never stops performing his work, even more than my expectations.

I wish everyone all the best in life.

Hello seekarim, did u go to the local SSA office to aply for the SSN after u arrived