• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2008 Lucky Winners From Nigeria

Hello evryone in the house.
Hi SB2008, Wats up with everyone? Like Aywire said i beleive we shd keep this thread alive.Just got into U.S and it will be really nice if we cld all still share our experiences, about getting a job infact life generally cos na wa oh! things no look the way wey everi bodi dey think am oh.I go talk o becos i no fit close my mouth anymore.
I guess i will need training again on how to update my signature cos it's been a very long time.
Pls talk to me somebody, anybody pls i need some encouragement.

The situation on the ground is not encouraging but.....

Hello Everyone,

Sarajoe, welcome to the US, I hope your trip was uneventful.
I'm still missing one of my baggage till now.

It's really a good idea to share experiences with our stay here so far.
The general consensus is that we came at a very wrong time when the the economy is in a depression, the news is full daily of job cuts, the unemployment rate has reached about 8.1% at present.
My advice for those who has gotten a DV visa is start applying for jobs (it depends on your profession) earlier before coming to the US, it will give them a head start. If they are lucky then one of the job application might just click as it happened in my case.
I got a job here one month after i arrived here 'cos the groundwork for the job search started since September last year as soon as the visa was gotten.
The situation on the ground as regards getting a job is really too encouraging but one has to continue to hang in there and survive somehow, one also needs the grace of GOD in everything that one does.
Nobody knows when the economy is going to bounce back
"The Struggle continues"

WAO! good for u SB2008 u definately knew the right pple that gave u the info on how and where to search 4 d jobs.
Quite unlike my case here,i it at times & feel like going back home.Thank God for money saved back @home and brought down here.
My advise still to those trying to come down i that they shd have a lot saved up that will take them till they can get a job OR be very sure of the person they are coming here to meet(very close relative, i mean really close).
Anyway no matter how bad it is, when others are saying there is a casting down, we will say there is a lifting up in Jesus name.
SB2008 pls check your private mail.
Thanks a lot.

Just fortunate

SB2008,
How come your baggage got lost? what cld have happened,i've not heard of any case like that.

I lost one of my luggage since Jan, we flew with Emirates and didn't see the luggsge at JFK. All efforts to find it proved abortive and I've given up hope on ever finding it. it contained our children clothes, foodstuffs etc
As regards the job search, it is not only all about applying on at website,that does not work well at the moment, it depends mainly on someone here that knows about your ability recommending for the job based on your experience. I did not attend any interview in my case since my employer already knows before hand about my past experience working in the oil exploration industry.
I guess i was fortunate to know a colleague who recommended me for the job but the trick was telling the guy earlier since last year that i will be coming to the US hence I'll need a job once i get there.

I lost one of my luggage since Jan, we flew with Emirates and didn't see the luggsge at JFK. All efforts to find it proved abortive and I've given up hope on ever finding it. it contained our children clothes, foodstuffs etc
As regards the job search, it is not only all about applying on at website,that does not work well at the moment, it depends mainly on someone here that knows about your ability recommending for the job based on your experience. I did not attend any interview in my case since my employer already knows before hand about my past experience working in the oil exploration industry.
I guess i was fortunate to know a colleague who recommended me for the job but the trick was telling the guy earlier since last year that i will be coming to the US hence I'll need a job once i get there.

U should be compensated by the airline for the lost luggage. I would file a formal complaint with emirates. U need to get into the US system of getting stuff like that straightened out.

Of course, i had made a formal complaint to the airline and completed a a luggage claims form sent to me by the airline but i have not heard anything from the airline since early February when i submitted the form.

April Cut-off

Hi guys,

Like i personally told one member of the group that we should expect an increment in the 1500+ range for Nigeria cut off, it as happened even for all. Congrats to those that are current now and i wish you all good luck.

VISA BULLETIN FOR APRIL 2009

For April, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2009 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA 26,900 Except:
Egypt 17,400
Ethiopia 15,700
Nigeria 9,900

ASIA 17,400 Except:
Bangladesh 11,000
EUROPE 20,800
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 7
OCEANIA 715
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 900

C. ADVANCE NOTIFICATION OF THE DIVERSITY (DV) IMMIGRANT CATEGORY RANK CUT-OFFS WHICH WILL APPLY IN MAY

For May, immigrant numbers in the DV category are available to qualified DV-2009 applicants chargeable to all regions/eligible countries as follows. When an allocation cut-off number is shown, visas are available only for applicants with DV regional lottery rank numbers BELOW the specified allocation cut-off number:

Region All DV Chargeability Areas Except Those Listed Separately
AFRICA 32,400 Except:
Egypt 19,150
Ethiopia 17,750
Nigeria 11,550

ASIA 22,800
EUROPE 24,900
NORTH AMERICA (BAHAMAS) 10
OCEANIA 825
SOUTH AMERICA, and the CARIBBEAN 1,000

Last edited by a moderator:
Urgent advice needed!!!!

I need an advice on this situation, I have someone with me here that has filed for residency through his mother, while recently going through his mother documents, he notice that the date of birth that his mother as been using since his childhood is wrong. There he had never actually seen his birth certificate until recently and was unaware that there was even a problem.

Although the family filed for him about 5years ago using is original DOB certificate, all other doucment School records, WAEC and he has even just seat for JAMB using the same information. Although his interview with USA embassy is not for a year, i need to know what advice he needs to regularise his document as soon as possible.

1. Does he need to retake WAEC, JAMB, etc
2. Get New NPC certificate etc

Pls i need advice on what he needsa to do and where to get this document, addresses etc. He lives in Lagos.

Just wanted to share my excitement with everyone. Just a break down on my journey. I have been married to my husband for 9yrs now, a nigerian of cos. I got a visa thro my mom who is a citizen. so i made here in 2003 with my 2 boys. filed I-130 for my husband in 2005 after i went home to nigeria to legalize the marriage (we just had the traditional in 2000). Played the lottery for my husband here in America, he won but had a very high number 24000+, they never got to his number. December last year i became a citizen myself and case was upated. My husband had is interview last week Monday and his visa was approved. Praise the Lord! it has been a long journey and i thank God for seeing us thro it.

Johnkent- thank you. And to everyone else still waiting i wish you all the best, your time to shine will come too in Jesus name ..Amen.

Pls i need some help here....Can anyone help out on Questions asked during interview?
i have gotten my appointment date which is coming up pretty soon.
i have my High school degree which is called a N.E.C.O Certificate here in Nigeria.
2ndly am still studing in the university...but i also work as a Manager in my brother's guest house here in Nigeria.
am single
I have an Aunt who is helping out from the state with the Affidavit of support she works as a Registered Nurse..
Do anyone have an idea on what the questions the interviewer would asked?

I would love to know if anyone has gone for the interview like my case here...

Need reply soonest

Pls i need some help here....Can anyone help out on Questions asked during interview?
i have gotten my appointment date which is coming up pretty soon.
i have my High school degree which is called a N.E.C.O Certificate here in Nigeria.
2ndly am still studing in the university...but i also work as a Manager in my brother's guest house here in Nigeria.
am single
I have an Aunt who is helping out from the state with the Affidavit of support she works as a Registered Nurse..
Do anyone have an idea on what the questions the interviewer would asked?

I would love to know if anyone has gone for the interview like my case here...

Need reply soonest

Hi,

I suggest you move to dv2009 or dv2010 to get your questions answered on time. See attachment for likely interview questions.

Good luck.

Life in Cleveland, Ohio

I need to first appologise for staying silent this long. I hope my appology is accepted?

I got my SSN some days ago, so I decided to go for a Driving test, of which I did successfully. After the test, I was told to go and buy a temporary licence package. But unfurtunately, the lady that attended to me said I can proceed untill I bring my GC knowing that Gc will be nothing less that 2 to 3 months.

With this development i cant get a driver Licence. and without a driver Licence, I may not be able to get a well paying Job.

Please I want to know if anyone know anyother option I can use to get the driver Licence and the State ID having in mind that the GC number is already in our passport(on the stamped visa at the point of entry)

Thanks.

aadepetun,

Pls do you mean to say you & your wife entered US at different dates? Cos from your Signtaure i can see POE: Atlanta October 22. and now you said your wife came in Dec. 9. Pls help me clarify this issue.

Can Husband & Wife travel on seperate dates with their visas / enter the united states on seperate date where husband is the primary applicant?

10x.

Yes they can... I entered 3 months before my wife.

nellivel, try another license office. it might just be the lady you spoke with. Not all of them are as knowledgeable as others.

I need to first appologise for staying silent this long. I hope my appology is accepted?

I got my SSN some days ago, so I decided to go for a Driving test, of which I did successfully. After the test, I was told to go and buy a temporary licence package. But unfurtunately, the lady that attended to me said I can proceed untill I bring my GC knowing that Gc will be nothing less that 2 to 3 months.

With this development i cant get a driver Licence. and without a driver Licence, I may not be able to get a well paying Job.

Please I want to know if anyone know anyother option I can use to get the driver Licence and the State ID having in mind that the GC number is already in our passport(on the stamped visa at the point of entry)

Thanks.

Obtain an International drivers license from Nigeria, u can use that before ur GC gets here. I dont think people know you can get one before leaving nigeria. When your GC comes through, simply go back for another drivers' test to get american drivers license.

Just wanted to share my excitement with everyone. Just a break down on my journey. I have been married to my husband for 9yrs now, a nigerian of cos. I got a visa thro my mom who is a citizen. so i made here in 2003 with my 2 boys. filed I-130 for my husband in 2005 after i went home to nigeria to legalize the marriage (we just had the traditional in 2000). Played the lottery for my husband here in America, he won but had a very high number 24000+, they never got to his number. December last year i became a citizen myself and case was upated. My husband had is interview last week Monday and his visa was approved. Praise the Lord! it has been a long journey and i thank God for seeing us thro it.

Johnkent- thank you. And to everyone else still waiting i wish you all the best, your time to shine will come too in Jesus name ..Amen.

Thank God, After a long wait...............congrats kwene, I am so happy for you.

Awire,

no matter who u stay with in america that will not mzke u feel sad or feel like going back home,there is this general beleive of nigerians,the fact that they wen via some challenges,they must try to frustrate u,most especially if u come with visa lottery,bcos based on that papers,most of ur problem of confirtablity is set,so they will not want u to fined it that easy,all u have to do is inconviniet urself alittle and try to get ur own accormodation and car,if u have those,beleive me u are on track.if u want to go into the nursing field,try the cna first and work with it,then cma,from there u start ur nursing school,sorry for staying out of the forum too long,it is america that caused it,thanks modest and everyother people,this is oluwa with us all,i used this forum alot b4 my interview and it helps alot,which i share my experiences and do give advice too,but wen i enter yankke, oboy no be as we plan am,but i thank Oluwa is in control,how is everybody doing?
Oluwawithusall
2008AF00010XXX

oluwawithusall!

Thanks for the info.

I just got my visa and would appreciate if those in the Dv2006,2007&2008 winners already in US.

Can start a thread to advise those us just coming into US how to go in there and avoid pitfalls.

Such issues can cover areas like SSN,Drivers license, schools for the kids, job related issues etc.

Thank you.

Hello Everybody,
I have been following this blog,
and i am really happy i found this,
and my mind has come down since i found it,
i just registered for the 2011 DV,
and i have to wait till next year for my letter,
which i know i would get in JESUS NAME AMEN,
so till then,i would keep checking for more information,remain blessed and thanks....Slimbrown...