• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv 2008 Lucky Winners From Nigeria

Now

I have just been notified by the KCC of my interview on the 14th of october.

I have a few issues unresolved in my mind.

I just got married in august, and i am just wondering if an affidavit of support from our sponsor is sufficient.

thanks for your thoughts on this.

aadepetun
2009AF000005XX
Interview: 10/14/2008

Hi,

First thing first, have you added your wife, i mean have you filled out the DS230 etc forms for your wife and sent to KCC. If so, check the link below for the 2008 poverty guideline. Note also this depends on your sponsor's family size which you must put into consideration too. I am just putting this up generally bcos you didn't tell us about your sponsor finances etc.

Finally, if you can put more info such as when you received the 1st NL, when you sent it back etc on your signature we'll so much appreciate it. Check mine below or see others'.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigra...info_1327.html

Good Luck.

Hello 4real4u,

My sponsor is my elder sister.
She earns an excess of $80,000/year and has 3 young children who are partially dependent on her(since she is married, thus total family size=5).

I am married without any children.
I am also an Electrical Engineering P.hD student currently in a U.S institution full-time, and my wife's graduates with a Bachelor in Dental Surgery from the UNILAG College of medicine at the end of next month.

Is the affidavit of support from my sister sufficient?

Looking

Hello 4real4u,

She earns an excess of $80,000/year and has 3 young children who are partially dependent on her(since she is married, thus total family size=5).

I am also an Electrical Engineering P.hD student currently in a U.S institution full-time, and my wife's graduates with a Bachelor in Dental Surgery from the UNILAG College of medicine at the end of next month.

Looking at her salary/year, her family size and yours, she can do that since the poverty guideline requires $40k/year for 7people apart from Hawaii and Alaska which requires $46k and $50k respectively. Some other things you'll have to do is go through the I-864 form to check other sponsor eligibilities and put the questions to your sister to see if she'll genuinely eligible. Also, ask her if she hasn't file for anybody in the past and if she also file for her tax returns within the last years, just to mention few. See below for the I-864 form link.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864.pdf

Good Luck.

Checklist for preparing Affidavit of support

Hello 4real4u,

This might be of help.

http://travel.state.gov/pdf/AOC_procedures.pdf

If finding it difficult to open see below for the details:

Preparing Affidavit of Support Forms – I-864, I-864EZ, I-864A, and I-864W
Warning: Do not take any action described below without authorization from the National Visa Center (NVC). Taking action without the NVC's authorization could result in a delay in processing.
If the petitioner has received notification to read the Affidavit of Support Instructions and download the appropriate form:

1. Review the General Information and FAQ.
2. Review page 1 of the I-864W, Intending Immigrant's Affidavit of Support Exemption Form, to determine if the petitioner is exempt from the Affidavit of Support Requirement.
3. Download the I-864P - Poverty Guidelines.
4. Review page 1 of the I-864EZ - Affidavit of Support Form, to determine if the petitioner is eligible to submit the I-864EZ.
5. If these forms do not apply, the petitioner is required to submit an I-864 –Affidavit of Support - and possibly an I-864A - Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member - as well.
6. Complete the appropriate Affidavit of Support form. When completing the forms, please keep in mind:
The Department of State prefers that the Affidavit of Support form(s) be completed on your computer using CAPITAL letters.
Following the detailed instructions included with each form (I-864W, I-864EZ, I-864, and I-864A) is very important.
7. After completing the form on the computer, print it. The forms cannot be submitted electronically.
8. Review the appropriate checklist to verify that the proper form has been completed correctly:
I. Intending Immigrant’s Affidavit of Support Exemption, Form I-864W, Checklist
II. I-864EZ, Checklist
III. Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, Checklist
IV. Joint Sponsor’s Documents (if required) Checklist
V. Household Member’s Documents (if required) Checklist
9. Mail the form and any required supporting documents to the NVC. Be sure to include the bar code sheet for the applicant’s case.
*Important Notice For Sponsors
The Affidavit of Support forms are not required to be notarized. You should know however that by signing an Affidavit for Support the sponsor certifies under penalty of perjury that the information provided and any transcript and/or photocopy of tax documentation is true and correct. In order to download forms, you will need to have a recent version of Adobe Reader installed on your computer. If you do not have Adobe Reader on your computer, please visit http://www.adobe.com. There is no charge to download Adobe Reader. Please note that you may receive a “file corrupted” error message if you are using an older version of Adobe Reader.
Checklists for Preparing Affidavit of Support Forms
Intending Immigrant’s Affidavit of Support Exemption, Form I-864W, Checklist

Verify that, as detailed in the I-864W instructions, the Affidavit of Support is not required. The I-864W should be completed ONLY IF the intending immigrant:
Has, or can be credited with, 40 quarters of covered employment
o As proof, you must attach a signed statement from the person who earned the quarters.
o You must attach an earnings and benefits statement from the Social Security Administration (SSA) showing the number of qualifying quarters he/she has earned. To make a request to the SSA use Form SSA-7004-SM, or in the U.S. call the SSA’s toll free number, 1 800-772-1213.
Is a self-petitioning widow/widower
Is the battered spouse of U.S. citizen or the child of battered spouse of a U.S. citizen
Is a child, who meets the requirements under the Child Citizenship Act of 2000 (CCA) to become a U.S. citizen immediately upon entry under into the U.S.
Affidavit of Support, Form I-864, Checklist

Before mailing the I-864 to the NVC:
1. Ensure that:
All pages are in the correct order and stapled together
Each page is filled-out completely
The form is signed
2. Verify that all family members (a spouse and/or children) listed on the same petition as the sponsored immigrant that are either traveling with the sponsored immigrant (or will be traveling within six months of the immigrant’s entry into the U.S.) have been listed on the I-864 IF the sponsor is sponsoring them, and they are either traveling with the immigrant, or within six months of the immigrant’s entry to the U.S.
3. IF the sponsor filed taxes, the sponsor MUST submit a copy of the most recent federal income tax return with all supporting schedules and/or W-2s or an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) transcript (even if the sponsor filed electronically). To request IRS-generated transcripts or copies of a tax return, visit the IRS website.
The return must have all pages in the correct order and stapled together
If you did not have to file a tax return, attach a written explanation and a copy of the instructions from the IRS publication that shows you were not obligated to file. For general information on income tax obligations, visit the IRS website.
4. IF the sponsor is submitting assets to meet the minimum income requirement:
Attach evidence of assets with a cash value that equals at least five times the difference between the sponsor’s total household income and the poverty guideline for the sponsor’s household size
Attach evidence of ownership, location and the value of each asset
Attach evidence of liens, mortgages and liabilities (if any) for each asset
Attach additional evidence, when annual income does not meet minimum income requirements. Evidence of current employment or self-employment includes a recent pay statement or a statement from your employer on business stationery. The letter from the sponsor’s employer should show the beginning date of employment, type of work done and income.
Affidavit of Support, Form I-864EZ, Checklist

Before mailing the I-864EZ to the NVC:
1. Verify that the person completing the form IS the person who filed the petition.
2. Verify that the sponsor is only using his/her own employment to meet the affidavit of support requirements.
3. IF the sponsor is sponsoring any family members of the intending immigrant that are listed on the same petition as the sponsored immigrant, the sponsor MUST complete an I-864.
4. IF the sponsor filed taxes, the sponsor MUST submit a copy of the most recent federal income tax return with all supporting schedules and/or W-2s or an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) transcript (even if the sponsor filed electronically). To request IRS-generated transcripts or copies of a tax return, visit the IRS website.
If you did not have to file a tax return, attach a written explanation and a copy of the instructions from the IRS publication that shows you were not obligated to file. For general information on income tax obligations, visit the IRS website.
5. Ensure that:
The form is signed
6. IF the sponsor is submitting assets to meet the minimum income requirement, the sponsor MUST complete an I-864.
Joint Sponsor’s Documents (if required) Checklist

1. Verify that the person submitting the form meets the definition of a joint sponsor and NOT the definition of a household member.
2. Ensure that:
The form is signed
3. Verify that the petitioner has submitted an I-864 or I-864EZ.
4. Verify that all family members (a spouse and/or children) listed on the same petition as the sponsored immigrant that are either traveling with the sponsored immigrant (or will be traveling within six months of the immigrant’s entry into the U.S.) have been listed on the I-864 IF the joint sponsor is sponsoring them, and they are either traveling with the immigrant, or within six months of the immigrant’s entry to the U.S.
5. Verify that the joint sponsor has submitted proof of U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident status.
6. IF the joint sponsor filed taxes, the joint sponsor MUST submit a copy of the most recent federal income tax return with all supporting schedules and/or W-2s or an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) transcript (even if the sponsor filed electronically). To request IRS-generated transcripts or copies of a tax return, visit the IRS website.
7. IF the sponsor is submitting assets to meet the minimum income requirement:
Attach evidence of assets with a cash value that equals at least five times the difference between the sponsor’s total household income and the poverty guideline for the sponsor’s household size
Attach additional evidence, when annual income does not meet minimum income requirements. Evidence of current employment or self-employment includes a recent pay statement or a statement from your employer on business stationery. The letter from the joint sponsor’s employer should show the beginning date of employment, type of work done and income.
Household Member’s Documents Checklist

You need a separate Form I-864A Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member for each household member whose income and assets are to be considered.
1. Verify that the person submitting the form meets the definition of a household member and NOT the definition of a joint sponsor.
2. Ensure that:
The form is signed
3. Verify that the household member completed the household member’s information.
4. Verify that the sponsor completed the sponsor’s information.
5. IF the household member filed taxes, the household member MUST submit a copy of the most recent federal income tax return with all supporting schedules and/or W-2s or an Internal Revenue Service (IRS) transcript (even if the household member filed electronically). To request IRS-generated transcripts or copies of a tax return, visit the IRS website.
6. IF the household member is submitting assets to meet the minimum income requirement:
Attach evidence of assets with a corresponding cash value
Attach additional evidence, when annual income does not meet minimum income requirements. Evidence of current employment or self-employment includes a recent pay statement or a statement from your employer on business stationery. The letter from the household member’s employer should show the beginning date of employment, type of work done and income.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at her salary/year, her family size and yours, she can do that since the poverty guideline requires $40k/year for 7people apart from Hawaii and Alaska which requires $46k and $50k respectively. Some other things you'll have to do is go through the I-864 form to check other sponsor eligibilities and put the questions to your sister to see if she'll genuinely eligible. Also, ask her if she hasn't file for anybody in the past and if she also file for her tax returns within the last years, just to mention few. See below for the I-864 form link.

Good Luck.

YOu should be using the form I-134 for DV not the I-864 form ( which is for family immigrant visa). The embassy would mostly take either one, but technically you should use the I-134 form

hello Every1,
i am happy to inform u all that we just got our interview date.pls,join us in prayers.

NB:is it possible to begin medicals without the 2nd letter?does any1 have the telephone numbers of Kamorass hospital?

Good Luck.
hi,
please what should our sponsor fill , I -134 or I -1864.
and what is the implication if someones sponsor had sponsor somebody in the past.
lastly what should one look for in tax return.
please clarify.
thanks

hi,
and what is the implication if someones sponsor had sponsor somebody in the past.
please clarify.
thanks

1. You should use the I-134 for DV. The I-864 can only be used in the specified categories (most family-based and certain employment-based cases). I do believe the consular officer would likely accept either, but you should stick to the I-134 form
2. Good question about previous sponsorship.... it all depends on the finances and the financial obligation that the sponsor currently have. That is if the sponsor have petition for someone recently, the officer will use his or her judegment to determine if the sponsor meet the requirement to take on this added applicant (sponsorship) base on the sponsor's finances and obligations
3. Tax return is to confirm the sponsor's income and its sources

Sorry

1. You should use the I-134 for DV. I-864 is for family immigrant visa. I do believe the consular officer would likely accept either, but you should stick to the I-134 form
2. Good question about previous sponsorship.... it all depends on the finances and the financial obligation that the sponsor currently have. That is if the sponsor have petition for someone recently, the officer will use his or her judegment to determine if the sponsor meet the requirement to take on this added applicant (sponsorship) base on the sponsor's finances and obligations

Sorry guys, it was a slip, i was actually reading the doc below b4 i typed the mail.It is definitely I-134 for DV and for confirmation and more stuffs to know read the attachment below. Go to the last page (10) for the I-134 answer.

Once again sorry for the slip.

Congrats to those who's received 2nd NL, i'll definitely pray along with you.

very right

hi,
please clarify.
thanks

Hi,

Medpharm is right with the answers he gave you.

affidafit of support

1. You should use the I-134 for DV. I-864 is for family immigrant visa. I do believe the consular officer would likely accept either, but you should stick to the I-134 form

thanks,

I will have to confirm, think my sponsor , sponsored someone two years ago. what do u think. do I look for another?

hello , I just want to know from others in this room who have gone for their Visa interview before at the embassy the issue of Birth certificate. I was born 1974 and i was issued a birth certificate from the lagos state Government , i will like to know if this birth certificate is acceptable by the embassy or i have to get another one issued by NPC. Because the NPC Started issuing brith certificate since 1992 .Please I need someone to tell me what to do or if i should go to the embassy with the birth certificate issied by the Lagos state Government during my interview.

thanks,

I will have to confirm, think my sponsor , sponsored someone two years ago. what do u think. do I look for another?

Again it depends on his/her obligations... That is he/she could be a single person with no depend and makes over $150 K/year and thus he/she may be able to sponsor maybe 2 to 3 single people without any issues. On the other hand that person could make only $60 K/yr with 3 chlidren and a wife, thus this person will be limited in his/her sponsorship.

You know the particulars of your sponsor and thus only you can decide if you need someone else.

4real4u, Samko, ogulism, medpharm,aadepetun, and the rest DV2009 lucky Winners,

PLease lets move all our discussions to the DV2009 Thread, see the link below, as this will help so many other winners, and let everyone update his/her signature.

DV2009 Thread http://boards.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=276910&page=9

No more responses for DV 2009 on the 2008 thread, pls help yourself & others.

I hope i spoke well.

I agree

4real4u, Samko, ogulism, medpharm,aadepetun, and the rest DV2009 lucky Winners,

PLease lets move all our discussions to the DV2009 Thread, see the link below, as this will help so many other winners, and let everyone update his/her signature.

No more responses from DV 2009 on the 2008 thread.

I hope i spoke well.

Guys, i agree with livewire007, lets all move to dv2009 for our own benefit and others.

Thanks

Guys, i agree with livewire007, lets all move to dv2009 for our own benefit and others.

Thanks

Sorry guys... I am neither Nigerian nor DV applicant... Just providing insights to the process and questions to people seeking answers to their concerns/issue. It does not matter to me which thread is utilize.

Resolved

hello , I just want to know from others in this room who have gone for their Visa interview before at the embassy the issue of Birth certificate. I was born 1974 and i was issued a birth certificate from the lagos state Government , i will like to know if this birth certificate is acceptable by the embassy or i have to get another one issued by NPC. Because the NPC Started issuing brith certificate since 1992 .Please I need someone to tell me what to do or if i should go to the embassy with the birth certificate issied by the Lagos state Government during my interview.

I thought we've resolved this issue. Try get it to be on the safe side 'cos i think they're used to seeing the NPC cert as the formal evidence of birth cert., don't let yours be an exception which might raise false alarm and subsequent refusal.