• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2008 CP Interview Experiences

re herrmeister0159: if you are working in the US, they will likely ask for your tax return as part of your prove of employment. They immediately asked for my return when I was providing them the letter from my current employer.

To LevelHead (read below...)

That is wierd...No one asked me for my tax returns, and they are NOT on the required list of document in the 2nd NL. check again if u think I am wrong.

I just provided a letter of employment (that had a recent date) and presented my MOST RECENT paystubs (which coincidentally the pay deposit date was the previous day before the appt)

That's all thats needed to prove income in US.

now, if U left US a long time ago, or have never been to US, then your local banking info may be needed, or if possible a letter indicating future employment with a US company INSIDE USA...these documents may need to be notarized or whatever to show they are legit.

I think FMFIA is confusing people by implying that the Officers *asked* for W2/1040 docs, when infact s/he included them in the package un-necessarily...a classic case of TMI

My interview experience – Further Administrative Processing

We arrived at the London Embassy around 7.30am. There were about 15 people in the queue. (Warning: Please do not take your car keys, mobile phones, ipods, etc to the interview or else you will not be allowed to go through security. You’ll be asked to take them to a nearby address to keep). All watches, belts and coins go into a clear plastic bag. The security guard checked our passports and Notification letter and we were then asked to go through a security cabin with a metal detector. All bags and documents go through separately.

We proceeded to the foyer, collected the interview ticket (5xxx) and made our way to the hall at around 8.15am. There were between 40 – 80 people in the hall mainly for non-immigrant visas. According to the numbers on the screen, there were about less than 10 people for immigrant visa interviews. All eyes were on the monitors above, waiting for their ticket numbers to be called. [Note: children below the age of 14 years don’t need to attend but you have to take all their documents with you]

We waited for about an hour before our number was called to Window no. 14, where there was a young English guy waiting for us. He had a checking list in front of him and gave me a large brown envelope containing our chest x-rays and medical results. He then asked for our passports (if you are a dual citizen, you’ll be asked to choose the passport where you want the visa to be stamped). He also asked for the passport photos and told me to write the names at the back of the photos. After that, he requested our birth certificates, marriage certificate, police certificates, and academic qualifications (including copies). He asked whether I have any proof of income, I gave him the letter from the Bank and my bank statements. He said he wants copies only. I told him I also have the Affidavit of Support but he said the bank statements were enough. After the fingerprinting, I was handed a yellow card and was told to go to window 13 to pay. I paid the full amount in cash and in US$ and then went back to window 14 with my receipt. He then told me I’ll be given back all my originals after the interview. He told us to go back to the main room and wait for our number to be called.

We waited for about 50mins before our number was called to Window 15. This time it was an American lady who was behind the window. She greeted us and did another set of fingerprints! She returned the original academic certificates, marriage certificate, police certificates and birth certificates except for mine which she placed in one corner. She asked me to raise my hand up and take the Oath. She then asked us to sign our forms and also to sign for the kids. She asked the following questions:

C: What is your name?
C: What is your DOB?
C: What are your children’s and spouse’s DOB?
C: When did you get married?
C: Where were you born?
C: How old were you when you left your country?
C: When did you graduate?
C: Do you work? Where do you work? What do you do?
C: I can see you have some funds in your bank account.
Me: Yes, and I also have an Affidavit of Support.
C: No, the bank statements and letter from the bank are enough.
C: Who filed the Affidavit of Support for you?
C: How many relatives have you got in the US?
C: Why do you want to go to the US?
C: What would you do there?
C: All your documents seem OK but we’ll have to verify your Birth Certificate with the Officials in your native country since it is a certified copy. Leave this copy with us and we will send it back to you once we’re finished.

She then took a blue sheet of paper and marked an ‘X’ next to “Further Administrative Processing”. She handed it to me and told me they’ll contact me to send our passports to the Embassy once they’ve completed the verification of my birth certificate. I am now waiting and praying that they will call me before September 30th. I hope my experience will guide those of you with pending interviews. :(:confused:

re herrmeister0159: if you are working in the US, they will likely ask for your tax return as part of your prove of employment. They immediately asked for my return when I was providing them the letter from my current employer.[/QUOTE]

Thank you FMFIA
I've never been in US before. I'm working in Thailand. Will I be asked for employment letter and/or Tax return?
What documents I have to translate in Eng?
Thank you.

Just to clarify the matter of US tax return which I included as part of the documents for my DV interview, the return is NOT listed as a required document in the instruction provided by KCC.

Based on my research on the document for the interview from this forum, I remembered seeing people bringing their return to the interview and that was what I did. One can make an argument at the interview that the tax return is not listed in the instruction, which is ture, and that other documents you have are adequate for you to qualify for the visa. For my case, I brought everything I have just in case I am asked to provide such information and they did ask for it. Without the tax return, I am quite certain that I will still get the visa with other documents I have, i.e. letter of employment/employment contract/prove of financial. However, I prefer to do it once; not having to come back to provide any additional document. Also because of my tight schedule, I had to get everything done on that day as my returning flight to the US was on Aug 14. I am now in the US and my visa is activated.

Just keep in mind that you have whatever they ask for at the interview and the process will go smoothly. I am just sharing my interviewing experience here, so please use your own judgement as to what to and what not to do.

re levelheaded: just W2 and 1040 I filed for the return, no receipt from IRS

re herrmeister0159: I only got the birth certificate translated. I personally think letter of employment from your current employer may help - showing that you are skilled worker and that you should be able to find a job once you are settled in the US (not becoming public liability). Thai tax return is not necessary.

Please follow this link (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/packet-3-forms-and-instructions.html) and use the checklist from Packet 3 for Immigrant Visa Applicants. This instruction provides more detailed information of the required documents for the interview. Note this list is for Bangkok post and may not apply to others.

Just to clarify the matter of US tax return which I included as part of the documents for my DV interview, the return is NOT listed as a required document in the instruction provided by KCC.

Based on my research on the document for the interview from this forum, I remembered seeing people bringing their return to the interview and that was what I did. One can make an argument at the interview that the tax return is not listed in the instruction, which is ture, and that other documents you have are adequate for you to qualify for the visa. For my case, I brought everything I have just in case I am asked to provide such information and they did ask for it. Without the tax return, I am quite certain that I will still get the visa with other documents I have, i.e. letter of employment/employment contract/prove of financial. However, I prefer to do it once; not having to come back to provide any additional document. Also because of my tight schedule, I had to get everything done on that day as my returning flight to the US was on Aug 14. I am now in the US and my visa is activated.

Just keep in mind that you have whatever they ask for at the interview and the process will go smoothly. I am just sharing my interviewing experience here, so please use your own judgement as to what to and what not to do.

re levelheaded: just W2 and 1040 I filed for the return, no receipt from IRS

re herrmeister0159: I only got the birth certificate translated. I personally think letter of employment from your current employer may help - showing that you are skilled worker and that you should be able to find a job once you are settled in the US (not becoming public liability). Thai tax return is not necessary.

Please follow this link (http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/immigrant_visas/packet-3-forms-and-instructions.html) and use the checklist from Packet 3 for Immigrant Visa Applicants. This instruction provides more detailed information of the required documents for the interview. Note this list is for Bangkok post and may not apply to others.
Thanks for suggestion, I also believe having tax returns will come in handy although its not in required list of documents. I will take my W2 and 1040 forms i filed, along with letter frm my employer, my pay stubs, I am not going to take affadavit ofsupport and have not much to show in my bank account, if they ask i will say i am still paying off my college loans :D, anyway i am hoping my fulltime job status and education here in US should be enough.

Well, I just want to serve advice to the 2009 DV candidates and the reminding 2008.

FIRSTLY i want every applicant to prayerfully prepare for their interview. Much require is God favored.
SECONDLY all applicants should update themselves with the DV information and requirements. People fail for not following simple instructions i.e. people play without include their children in the first entry and included them in the second form which is against the rule.
THIRDLY Candidates should be very honest. Avoid decision that is false. Provide all original documents or certify copies if possible. Try and do your HIV test privately to be aware of your status, confirm your sponsor income to the USA poverty guideline with respect to 1-864 form, get your police clearance and all the birth certificates.
FOURTH Resist fear. Don't give attention to the devil because he will give you direction. FEAR is negative expectation and the law of the spirit says YOU WILL BECOME WHAT YOU BELIEVE. Don't mind any suggestion from the devil because if he can stop you he will not suggest.

Lastly believe ALL is WELL.

My interview went well in Liberia. My family appear 8 am at the USA embassy and we were usher in by 8: 30,document was submitted, visas fees were paid and interview started 9pm.People were denied for not following simple instructions, some because they never completed secondary school, some were asked to get joint sponsor and some were asked to get transcript from university and some were denied because they never meet the health requirement,
By 10: 15 my wife was called but i decided to join her
The counselor asked us to swore oath, which we did
than we were asked to signed ...........
She asked me how i met my wife..........
Than my wife was asked about her nursing job, school courses .........
the counselor asked about my nationality............
Asked which school i did attended...........
than we were given chip to collect our visas the next week
by 10:30 were finish with our interview

These are steps that help us so probably it will be helpful.
Always feel free to be in touch

Yeahh 1-2-3 of october is holiday in turkey but at the 6 of october there is first interview of dv2009 . And iraqi persian and a few arabian contury is citizens enter interview in ankara. In a anıther turkish forum there a few friend got date for 6 october. Any persian for 6 october in ankara?

Interview scheduled @2pm, reached gate around 1:30pm
There were just 2/3 other families for DV visa i am guessing, no ppl for non-mmigrant visas so in general the whole process was efficient.
First window, had my documents checked in with the lady there.
She immediately showed concerned i had no photos of my wedding ceremony, I told her it was very quick affair and we didn't publicize it much and didn't take pics, she moved on.
She asked if i had all other docs ready and I said yes, while doing this my wife paid the fees in the next counter.
This whole process of giving docs(original + copies) in order took like 15 mins, gave her medical reports and 1 passport size photo as well.
While they were verifying authenticity of docs, we got called for fingerprints in another window, pretty promptly.
After fingerprints were done, about 10 mins or so later we were called for final interview. The counselor asked me, showing DS 230 form, if everything there was correct, I had wrong info in birth city, it didn't match with what was in my birth certificate. Actually I had put down zone name there but in BC it was village and province name.
So i explained that to counselor, he let me change it in DS 230.
Province 'N/A' changed to 'xxxxxx(location as in BC)'
Signed at the end, my wife also signed at end of her DS 230.
Counselor checked my passport, I gave him my old passport that had F1 visas.
Counselor went through the docs, didn't ask anything to my wife
While going through my docs, he asked
Q. What is highest level of education I have?
A. masters

Q. Where do u plan to stay in US?
A. I have been working in this place for so and so months, i will keep working there for now...gave city/state name

Q. What do you do in work?
A. so and so

Q. How long have you been in US?
A. So many years

Q. Do you have any children
A. No

Counselor checked my transcripts, knew mascot of my uni :)..
Finally, he said "you are qualified to receive the visa, please come on so and so date to pick up your passports"..
I was like oh..finally, thank you!!!
We hugged each other, others were looking on surprisingly.
Whole process took just under an hour, surprisingly we didn't have to take oath at any point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interview scheduled @2pm, reached gate around 1:30pm
There were just 2/3 other families for DV visa i am guessing, no ppl for non-mmigrant visas so in general the whole process was efficient.
First window, had my documents checked in with the lady there.
She immediately showed concerned i had no photos of my wedding ceremony, I told her it was very quick affair and we didn't publicize it much and didn't take pics, she moved on.
She asked if i had all other docs ready and I said yes, while doing this my wife paid the fees in the next counter.
This whole process of giving docs(original + copies) in order took like 15 mins, gave her medical reports and 1 passport size photo as well.
While they were verifying authenticity of docs, we got called for fingerprints in another window, pretty promptly.
After fingerprints were done, about 10 mins or so later we were called for final interview. The counselor asked me, showing DS 230 form, if everything there was correct, I had wrong info in birth city, it didn't match with what was in my birth certificate. Actually I had put down zone name there but in BC it was village and province name.
So i explained that to counselor, he let me change it in DS 230.
Province 'N/A' changed to 'xxxxxx(location as in BC)'
Signed at the end, my wife also signed at end of her DS 230.
Counselor checked my passport, I gave him my old passport that had F1 visas.
Counselor went through the docs, didn't ask anything to my wife
While going through my docs, he asked
Q. What is highest level of education I have?
A. masters

Q. Where do u plan to stay in US?
A. I have been working in this place for so and so months, i will keep working there for now...gave city/state name

Q. What do you do in work?
A. so and so

Q. How long have you been in US?
A. So many years

Q. Do you have any children
A. No

Counselor checked my transcripts, knew mascot of my uni :)..
Finally, he said "you are qualified to receive the visa, please come on so and so date to pick up your passports"..
I was like oh..finally, thank you!!!
We hugged each other, others were looking on surprisingly.
Whole process took just under an hour, surprisingly we didn't have to take oath at any point.

HI congratulations.
One question. Im a dv2009 winner,
so,
I send the DS230 at the KCC.
they are going to send me back the DS230 form?
for the interview?

''The counselor asked me, showing DS 230 form, if ...''
So, I will have to fill another DS230 for my interview?
Or the KCC will send it to me again at the second letter?

Thank you :)

Levelheaded,
Whao!what a wonderful experience.he didnt even requested the I-134?Congrates once......i pray that God show us the same favour.Cheers

...First window, had my documents checked in with the lady there. She immediately showed concerned i had no photos of my wedding ceremony...

Seems that CP office has some strange officers...I thought wedding photos are "sometimes" handy for sponsorship process i.e. where 1 person is already a US resident, and the other is being sponsored into US :confused:

Marriage cert serves as proof enough...at least in my case.

Also, I did not have to "explain" my current employment responsibilities...all I presented was a recent paystub and verbal confirmation of my legal status in US @ the time of interview, and that was it :cool:

Congratulations on getting your GC though...

Levelheaded,
...he didnt even requested the I-134?...

AFAIK, you dont need an I-134 if you are already working in the US (and are doing CP)...I may be wrong though, but somehow, I dont remember presenting such a form during my CP interview.

question

HI congratulations.
One question. Im a dv2009 winner,
so,
I send the DS230 at the KCC.
they are going to send me back the DS230 form?
for the interview?

''The counselor asked me, showing DS 230 form, if ...''
So, I will have to fill another DS230 for my interview?
Or the KCC will send it to me again at the second letter?

Thank you :)

Hiii please answer this if you can. thanks.
Im waiting for my 2nd notification letter. does it contain the ds230 that I filled to the kcc, or the Kcc send it to my embassy?

Thaaanks.

Im waiting for my 2nd notification letter. does it contain the ds230 that I filled to the kcc, or the Kcc send it to my embassy?

Thaaanks.
No you don't have to fill up another DS230, its the original one that you mailed to KCC after getting first 1st NL. KCC forwards those forms to embassy.

Seems that CP office has some strange officers...I thought wedding photos are "sometimes" handy for sponsorship process i.e. where 1 person is already a US resident, and the other is being sponsored into US :confused:

Marriage cert serves as proof enough...at least in my case.

Also, I did not have to "explain" my current employment responsibilities...all I presented was a recent paystub and verbal confirmation of my legal status in US @ the time of interview, and that was it :cool:

Congratulations on getting your GC though...
Ya she was really concerned at first, really bad start to whole process for me and I was kicking myself for not taking anypics, but after a while she relaxed seeing I was from US and working there and all. Maybe in your case you marriage was before 1st NL, in my case we got married after getting 1st NL. The final interviewer asked me job duties and that's it, I also had pay stubs for them to look at.

Thaaanks.

Oh no HPCCS, you'll just recieve a letter from KCC indicating when n wat time u have ur interview, de doctors you shd go to for medical check up and a list of docs to carry along including what was listed in ur first NL requirements.

I just got mine today and my interview is scheduled for oct 1. Please wish me luck