• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2008 CP Interview Experiences

Hi all,
So, can anyone comment:
My CN is 2009EU00008xxx.
It should become current in November, but I have not received 2nd NL yet.
Does it mean I can already call KCC and inquire about my case?
Or they can't know it until October anyway?

P.S. Just called KCC and they told me the interview date/time. Question dismissed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Administrative Processing Over!!!!

We arrived at the London Embassy around 7.30am. There were about 15 people in the queue. (Warning: Please do not take your car keys, mobile phones, ipods, etc to the interview or else you will not be allowed to go through security. You’ll be asked to take them to a nearby address to keep). All watches, belts and coins go into a clear plastic bag. The security guard checked our passports and Notification letter and we were then asked to go through a security cabin with a metal detector. All bags and documents go through separately.

We proceeded to the foyer, collected the interview ticket (5xxx) and made our way to the hall at around 8.15am. There were between 40 – 80 people in the hall mainly for non-immigrant visas. According to the numbers on the screen, there were about less than 10 people for immigrant visa interviews. All eyes were on the monitors above, waiting for their ticket numbers to be called. [Note: children below the age of 14 years don’t need to attend but you have to take all their documents with you]

We waited for about an hour before our number was called to Window no. 14, where there was a young English guy waiting for us. He had a checking list in front of him and gave me a large brown envelope containing our chest x-rays and medical results. He then asked for our passports (if you are a dual citizen, you’ll be asked to choose the passport where you want the visa to be stamped). He also asked for the passport photos and told me to write the names at the back of the photos. After that, he requested our birth certificates, marriage certificate, police certificates, and academic qualifications (including copies). He asked whether I have any proof of income, I gave him the letter from the Bank and my bank statements. He said he wants copies only. I told him I also have the Affidavit of Support but he said the bank statements were enough. After the fingerprinting, I was handed a yellow card and was told to go to window 13 to pay. I paid the full amount in cash and in US$ and then went back to window 14 with my receipt. He then told me I’ll be given back all my originals after the interview. He told us to go back to the main room and wait for our number to be called.

We waited for about 50mins before our number was called to Window 15. This time it was an American lady who was behind the window. She greeted us and did another set of fingerprints! She returned the original academic certificates, marriage certificate, police certificates and birth certificates except for mine which she placed in one corner. She asked me to raise my hand up and take the Oath. She then asked us to sign our forms and also to sign for the kids. She asked the following questions:

C: What is your name?
C: What is your DOB?
C: What are your children’s and spouse’s DOB?
C: When did you get married?
C: Where were you born?
C: How old were you when you left your country?
C: When did you graduate?
C: Do you work? Where do you work? What do you do?
C: I can see you have some funds in your bank account.
Me: Yes, and I also have an Affidavit of Support.
C: No, the bank statements and letter from the bank are enough.
C: Who filed the Affidavit of Support for you?
C: How many relatives have you got in the US?
C: Why do you want to go to the US?
C: What would you do there?
C: All your documents seem OK but we’ll have to verify your Birth Certificate with the Officials in your native country since it is a certified copy. Leave this copy with us and we will send it back to you once we’re finished.

She then took a blue sheet of paper and marked an ‘X’ next to “Further Administrative Processing”. She handed it to me and told me they’ll contact me to send our passports to the Embassy once they’ve completed the verification of my birth certificate. I am now waiting and praying that they will call me before September 30th. I hope my experience will guide those of you with pending interviews. :(:confused:

My 'Administrative Processing' status has come to an end!!!!! The Embassy called me yesterday and request for our passports! I want to thank all members and host of this wonderful forum for the invaluable contributions. I pray that those who are still on Administrative Processing will get their visas soon. Thank you and God Bless. :D :D :D

Goodevening all. Can someone help me out here. My interview is on oct first and i would like to know if the police certificate they are asking for is certificate of non-conviction/certificate of good conduct or certificate of residence. I would appreciate a quick response

Interview experience

Sorry i took long to post my interview experience but better late than never. My interview was on the second week of september in Nairobi. I was there on time and went through the same process of screening. I had my little one and that saved me alot of trouble of queing and was given first priority. Thanks to stroller it made my work so easy. I had already sent an email to KCC informing them of my new born and even filled new 230s but the consular made me fill others on that day for the baby. I gave out all the required documents originals and photocopies. I didnt have my original form four originals cert as it got lost some time back but had a certified copy. i was fingerprinted and i paid the fee ( only for the applicant first). Before you proceed with the process just as you enter the embassy you are made to sign a paper which states that any fake document, additional dependent which were not included on the initial application or lack of education or work experience will lead to the disqualifaction of visa with non refundable fee if you have paid. So it is a warning before you pay that incase you fall under any of that category you will be disqualified. I was later fingerprinted and before long i was called for the interview. i was just asked how old is the baby and was told to lift the baby for the interviewer to see. Then he went through the screen guess he was looking at my past history at the embassy since i have been there couple of times to renew my visa. He didnt ask me anything else apart from the fact that i didnt have my form four original cert. He told me it is a requirement even though i tried to argue with him i had more higher education in my bachelors and masters. He just gave me a slip and told me to go back when it is ready and i dont have to go back with the kid. That afternoon i went straight to the national examination council to request my copy of the form four exams and they no longer give individuals all they do is to send to the required organization. it is a process since you have to pay to the bank certain fee and get a receipt then go back and fill some forms and then pay some money for it to be delivered. i requested them to make it faster as it was a emergency situation and said within two days it will be ready. So two days later i went back and went through the same process again but this time i went in the afternoon. i waited for long and i guess my file had been misplaced or the person who was given to interview me didnt see my file. This time i went to a lady and she told me they already got my cert and everything was okay. i was glad but after such a long wait when almost eveybody had left and i had to go and enquire why they have not called my name. i went and paid for my dependent and was told to come the following week in the afternoon and pick the passports. On the day i was told to go and pick them i went and got them. i was so glad since my visa was issued as per my passport spelling which was different from my online application. Some time back i had a thread which i had posted about name spelling error. i had left one letter the last letter on the online application and i was so worried it might lead me to disqualifaction as all my other document had that letter. Nothing came up at the interview and no one ever asked why my last letter was missing. I had said that i will just tell the truth incase they had asked me but they didnt. I would have just said it was an online error. I left feeling happy and i even forgot to note there was a mispelling in my kid's middle name. i went back the following day and i left the passport for it to be corrected. I picked it the other week of which the first visa was cancelled and issued another one. They also changed the form which is attached on the yellow envelope but somehow they made mistake on the portion which is addressed as other travel information issued to passport control dept and made a mispelling of the kid's name but when i enquired she said that's okay. This time around i spent so much time waiting. All in all i got the visa and what i would like to highlight to help the 2009 people is _
1) Pray to God and He will guide you.
2) Ask and enquire from other people what is needed or expected and this forum is a very good source of information. Read about other people experiences and you will suprised how much you will learn from them.
3)Have photocopies and originals of all the documents required. Never assume one will not matter.
4)Do not make a point of adding other dependents incase you had not included them on the intial online application only on special cases like new born. This will lead to disqualification. I saw it happen to another couple who had not included the son who was like one year by then and they were disqualified. i really felt for them.
5)If you are at the embassy and it takes a while before you are attended to enquire what's going on. Try and understand the process of what is going through. you might be there on time and spend some much time waiting and waiting and maybe your file has not been removed or you were missed out somehow. I saw another woman who was there since morning and by afternoon she had not been attended to and she was just quiet till the guard had to go and ask her what's her situation and later they found her file had not been removed.
6)Go through the passports and the information on the sheet attached to the yellow envelope before you leave the embassy to check for any mispelling or error.
7)Be honest and remember nothing but the truth which will set you free. When you lie you just make the story complicated and the midst you contradict yourself.
8) Thank God when your interview is a success but also thank God too if all does not go as planned. Have a positive altitude. if the interview is not a success, dont worry because God has better plans for you and when the right time comes He will bless you abunduntly and life has to go on.

I would like to thank all of you for your endless help and special thanks to Raevsky, Tazmania, Orlandovillas, Mummydd among others.

Good luck to all 2009 winners and all the best to all those who want to enter the 2010 DV.

congratulation :

i am very happy for you dnk1
i want you to help me :

1- when you had your new baby and send a new form to KCC ... Will thay nclude his name in the 2NL ?

2- did you make a new passport for your baby ... OR you include him to your passport ?

I need your answer please because i have the same situation ....

hello house i need your assistance on getting a thread posted by adepetu a user but not too sure about the users name but the thread is all about what couples need to know about the interview.plz i need to get inform cos my interview is forth week in this month

Last edited by a moderator:
i am very happy for you dnk1
i want you to help me :

1- when you had your new baby and send a new form to KCC ... Will thay nclude his name in the 2NL ?

2- did you make a new passport for your baby ... OR you include him to your passport ?

I need your answer please because i have the same situation ....

1) I had my new born last year after i had received my 1st NL and filled the application. It took me around 6months to inform KCC about the new born since i had a high number and my number was not current till last month. You can inform them as soon as possible but it is better to inform them before your number becomes current before they transfer your file to the consulate if you are doing CP so at the consulate they will have the information. If you email KCC and tell them you had a new born they will email you back and instruct you what to do of which they just say you have to fill a new DS 230s for the new born and send a birth certificate. You can scan and email to them of which is better since they will inform you they have received the file or you can still send by mail.
They did not include the information of the new born in the 2NL but if it happens to you dont worry they still have the information in file.
2) It is always advisable to have a new passport for the new born so that his or her visa can be stamped on his or her passport. I got one for my baby.

Hope i have answered all your questions.
Good luck

thanks dnk1 but if they did not include my baby name in 2NL ... How I can Enter the embasy for the interview because they did not let any one enter there except their names are listed in 2NL ?

thanks dnk1 but if they did not include my baby name in 2NL ... How I can Enter the embasy for the interview because they did not let any one enter there except their names are listed in 2NL ?

When you fill the forms for your baby and send through email to KCC, the reply you'll get from KCC, print them all out and go with them to the embassy.

In my own case, my baby was not listed on my dependants list but i went to the embassy with all the replies i got from KCC about notification of his birth and the original forms earlier sent to KCC. I was only asked at the gate if i had a new baby and i said yes. that's all, and we were allowed to enter.

I hope that answered your question.

thanks dnk1 but if they did not include my baby name in 2NL ... How I can Enter the embasy for the interview because they did not let any one enter there except their names are listed in 2NL ?[/Q

I dont think the embassy will really disturb about your new born baby. They will see it is a new born and they know most cases they are not included in the 2NL. As for me they did not disturb even if my baby was not included in the second NL.

Thanks So Much dnk1 :

thank you dnk1 very much for helping me .
so they let you go inside the embassy with your baby easyly .... all i have done so far that i just call KCC a lot of time untill they told me that they include my baby to my file but i did not send email it was only just calling KCC ... do you think is this ok because i have my interview on last november ... and one more again
THANKS SO MUCH DNK1:)

Thanks dnk1 :

i want to thank you dnk1 about helping me ... i just recive the 2NL and they include my baby name on it so i am so happy ... but i want to know :
why they make shortcut for our names ?
(they put last name first then "," first name and middle in my wife name at the first paper)

note : that our full name is like that *** *** *** *** that mean they are 4 names

(then in the paper that include our names they put first name *** then one middle *** then the last name *** )

is this ok ?

i want to thank you dnk1 about helping me ... i just recive the 2NL and they include my baby name on it so i am so happy ... but i want to know :
why they make shortcut for our names ?
(they put last name first then "," first name and middle in my wife name at the first paper)

note : that our full name is like that *** *** *** *** that mean they are 4 names

(then in the paper that include our names they put first name *** then one middle *** then the last name *** )

is this ok ?
I dont know why they did that. You should not be worried if you had filled your online application properly as per the four names and the ds 230s and 122. Maybe they could not fit all the names in that space. I only have three names and all of them appeared on both 1st NL and 2nd NL so i dont know. Was the 1st NL with three or four names? I am glad your second NL came with your name of the baby. I guess sometimes they make the addition depending on when you alert them if they have not started typing the 2NL but i would not really say that's right as mine i had informed them like 3 to 4months before my number become current.

Thanks for the post, i need help and guidance

Congs first of all, am still waiting for my letter for the interview which is to take place in Nairobi on a date am still waiting for

However, i would like to know the following since you have been through the experience.

How much money is needed for the whole process of the interview( medical and visa fees)

are we required to have all appointment letters, thats in cases where each year i would move to another job.

I do not have a relative in America, but i have family friends who i know will help me, how much money is required if i family friend acts as my sponser? ie sends an affidavit

Are my bank statements needed too for anything?

Thanks again for the tread

Sorry i took long to post my interview experience but better late than never. My interview was on the second week of september in Nairobi. I was there on time and went through the same process of screening. I had my little one and that saved me alot of trouble of queing and was given first priority. Thanks to stroller it made my work so easy. I had already sent an email to KCC informing them of my new born and even filled new 230s but the consular made me fill others on that day for the baby. I gave out all the required documents originals and photocopies. I didnt have my original form four originals cert as it got lost some time back but had a certified copy. i was fingerprinted and i paid the fee ( only for the applicant first). Before you proceed with the process just as you enter the embassy you are made to sign a paper which states that any fake document, additional dependent which were not included on the initial application or lack of education or work experience will lead to the disqualifaction of visa with non refundable fee if you have paid. So it is a warning before you pay that incase you fall under any of that category you will be disqualified. I was later fingerprinted and before long i was called for the interview. i was just asked how old is the baby and was told to lift the baby for the interviewer to see. Then he went through the screen guess he was looking at my past history at the embassy since i have been there couple of times to renew my visa. He didnt ask me anything else apart from the fact that i didnt have my form four original cert. He told me it is a requirement even though i tried to argue with him i had more higher education in my bachelors and masters. He just gave me a slip and told me to go back when it is ready and i dont have to go back with the kid. That afternoon i went straight to the national examination council to request my copy of the form four exams and they no longer give individuals all they do is to send to the required organization. it is a process since you have to pay to the bank certain fee and get a receipt then go back and fill some forms and then pay some money for it to be delivered. i requested them to make it faster as it was a emergency situation and said within two days it will be ready. So two days later i went back and went through the same process again but this time i went in the afternoon. i waited for long and i guess my file had been misplaced or the person who was given to interview me didnt see my file. This time i went to a lady and she told me they already got my cert and everything was okay. i was glad but after such a long wait when almost eveybody had left and i had to go and enquire why they have not called my name. i went and paid for my dependent and was told to come the following week in the afternoon and pick the passports. On the day i was told to go and pick them i went and got them. i was so glad since my visa was issued as per my passport spelling which was different from my online application. Some time back i had a thread which i had posted about name spelling error. i had left one letter the last letter on the online application and i was so worried it might lead me to disqualifaction as all my other document had that letter. Nothing came up at the interview and no one ever asked why my last letter was missing. I had said that i will just tell the truth incase they had asked me but they didnt. I would have just said it was an online error. I left feeling happy and i even forgot to note there was a mispelling in my kid's middle name. i went back the following day and i left the passport for it to be corrected. I picked it the other week of which the first visa was cancelled and issued another one. They also changed the form which is attached on the yellow envelope but somehow they made mistake on the portion which is addressed as other travel information issued to passport control dept and made a mispelling of the kid's name but when i enquired she said that's okay. This time around i spent so much time waiting. All in all i got the visa and what i would like to highlight to help the 2009 people is _
1) Pray to God and He will guide you.
2) Ask and enquire from other people what is needed or expected and this forum is a very good source of information. Read about other people experiences and you will suprised how much you will learn from them.
3)Have photocopies and originals of all the documents required. Never assume one will not matter.
4)Do not make a point of adding other dependents incase you had not included them on the intial online application only on special cases like new born. This will lead to disqualification. I saw it happen to another couple who had not included the son who was like one year by then and they were disqualified. i really felt for them.
5)If you are at the embassy and it takes a while before you are attended to enquire what's going on. Try and understand the process of what is going through. you might be there on time and spend some much time waiting and waiting and maybe your file has not been removed or you were missed out somehow. I saw another woman who was there since morning and by afternoon she had not been attended to and she was just quiet till the guard had to go and ask her what's her situation and later they found her file had not been removed.
6)Go through the passports and the information on the sheet attached to the yellow envelope before you leave the embassy to check for any mispelling or error.
7)Be honest and remember nothing but the truth which will set you free. When you lie you just make the story complicated and the midst you contradict yourself.
8) Thank God when your interview is a success but also thank God too if all does not go as planned. Have a positive altitude. if the interview is not a success, dont worry because God has better plans for you and when the right time comes He will bless you abunduntly and life has to go on.

I would like to thank all of you for your endless help and special thanks to Raevsky, Tazmania, Orlandovillas, Mummydd among others.

Good luck to all 2009 winners and all the best to all those who want to enter the 2010 DV.

Hi all, need help on this.
My friend got a sponsor who sent her an AOS. He is single, works and earns 21.000 annually and dat was the only think he indicated in the AOS. He however included his tax returns and employment letter from the employer. Is that going to be problematic.

Congs first of all, am still waiting for my letter for the interview which is to take place in Nairobi on a date am still waiting for

However, i would like to know the following since you have been through the experience.

How much money is needed for the whole process of the interview( medical and visa fees)

are we required to have all appointment letters, thats in cases where each year i would move to another job.

I do not have a relative in America, but i have family friends who i know will help me, how much money is required if i family friend acts as my sponser? ie sends an affidavit

Are my bank statements needed too for anything?

Thanks again for the tread

The medical fee all depends on your age and also the vaccination which you will have. I cannot really estimate how much you will use.
For the visa, it is $775 per person.
For the bank statement, it really depends on how many dependant you have or if you are single or married. As for me, they didnt ask about my bank statement. I have read in other threads that in Nairobi they dont ask for bank statement for single people but i dont know how true it is but to me they didnt ask. But i had carried a bank statement and also an affivadit of support to be on the safe side but they did not ask. I hope i have answered your questions.
Good luck to you....

I'm so lost!

I am helping my girlfriend with the dv lottery 2009 process and am completely lost at this point. KCC and the USCIS keep giving me the run around so maybe somebody here can help.

We received the letter saying that she was one of those randomly selected and registered for consideration in the DV-2009 program.

From there she sent forms DSP-122 and DS-230 Part 1&2.

She then got another letter back saying that the KCC has completed it's processing of the case and any further inquires should be addressed to the USCIS. This is where we sent the $375 Diversity Visa Lottery surcharge for immigrant visa application.

We then got back the receipt of the $375 with the stamp on it saying it was paid in the self addressed envelop we sent them with the payment.

Now is where I'm confused. What are we supposed to do now?? I thought they were going to send a receipt# that you use with the USCIS but we haven't received anything yet. Also we checked with the USCIS and her name is not in the system and they said that the KCC has not transferred her case when they told me it shouldn't take more then 30 days for them to receive the case.

In this last letter it says after the paying of the fee that we must submit the diversity visa notification letter to the nearest USCIS office. If they haven't gotten anything from the KCC then how are we supposed to do this?? I'm sooooo lost and have been calling back and forth to get answers from both the KCC and USCIS and it's next to impossible to get a straight answer or somebody who knows what they are talking about. What are we supposed to do in this whole process now??? Please help! Thank you!

Hi dnk 1 congrants r in order n wish u all the best.
i have a question u have said its stated that if additional dependent which were not included on the initial application will lead to the disqualifaction of visa.I got married in Dec after i had filled in ma online application.do u think this will affect me?ma interview am expectin to b next month in nairobi and would not like to waste ma money n time.

help urgently