Dual citizenship travel related question

I guess I am just one lucky USC then. I switched passports flying to three different countries out of the US all of which needed visas from US citizens and I decided, for various reasons, to use my Canadian and Pakistani passports to enter those countries :)

And you left the US with your US passport directly to the country requiring a visa?(ie: not via Frankfurt when travelling to Dubai)

Many of my friends have dual Russian and U.S. citizenship and when they travel to Russia, they use the U.S. passport at check-in and the Russian passport at the border/customs control in Russia. .

Are they flying directly to Russia from US?

I think the airline overstepped. I don't have experience with countries requiring visas, but I have ample experience in the art of swapping passports and showing the one that is more convenient. I've had no problem with that.
One could envision an scenario in which one obtains a visa, but still show the passport that doesn't require a visa upon arrival. I doubt there would be a problem. I have never had an issue of a mismatch between airplane manifest and the name on the passport when crossing border control.

I don't have experience with countries requiring visas, but I have ample experience in the art of swapping passports and showing the one that is more convenient. I've had no problem with that.
Did you ever leave the US and not use your US passport at checkin?(regardless of what passport you used at the destination country's customs)

no wonder ppl say possessing multiple citizenship (one of which being US citizenship) can be problematic.
I am so glad I only have one. :)

This thread is interesting.

My brother holds dual US/Nigerian citizenships. He routinely travels to Nigeria several times a year. When he departs the US, he uses his US passport (which has no visa for Nigeria), and when he arrives in Lagos, presents his Nigerian passport. He has done this for 5 years and has never run into any issues. On one occasion, airline check-in asked for the visa to Nigeria, and he simply showed his Nigerian passport.

I have recently become a US citizen as well, and will use same method whenever i visit home.

I should add that my sister also holds dual UK/Nigerian passport and does the same thing whenever the travels from the UK, without any issues. And she has done this for over 15 years.

Going by some of the answers here, a dual US/Nigerian citizen would never be able to depart the US without a visa .... i doubt that is correct.

H.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is interesting.

My brother holds dual US/Nigerian citizenships. He routinely travels to Nigeria several times a year. When he departs the US, he uses his US passport (which has no visa for Nigeria), and when he arrives in Lagos, presents his Nigerian passport. He has done this for 5 years and has never run into any issues. On one occasion, airline check-in asked for the visa to Nigeria, and he simply showed his Nigerian passport.

I have recently become a US citizen as well, and will use same method whenever i visit home.

I should add that my sister also holds dual UK/Nigerian passport and does the same thing whenever the travels from the UK, without any issues. And she has done this for over 15 years.

Going by some of the answers here, a dual US/Nigerian citizen would never be able to depart the US without a visa .... i doubt that is correct.

H.
Are your brother and sister travelling on direct flights from the US to Nigeria?
The discussion here is specific to direct flights from the US to countries that require a visa for USCs.

Are your brother and sister travelling on direct flights from the US to Nigeria?
The discussion here is specific to direct flights from the US to countries that require a visa for USCs.

Bob,

Yes, they are. He just returned again 2 weeks ago. ATL-LOS-ATL.

H.

Yes, direct flight LAX-SYD by Delta.

I have never faced such problems before and don't know anyone who has faced such a problem before. If it happens to me I will ask for the supervisor to be called. So many people have multiple passports and they have no problem traveling. I think this was a case of a one off over enthusiastic check-in agent. In any case, I check in on-line for my overseas trips. All I need is a "docs OK" stamp on my boarding pass that i get in the Delta lounge.

Faced problems with what?Travelling from US directly to a country that requires a visa on your US passport?

I respectfully disagree. It has yet to apply to me personally. I have been a dual citizen for 11 years and a triple citizen for 5 years. I have, to date, never ever had any problems. I have switched passports enroute and also had scenarios where I used all three passports within 24 hours passing through 4 difference countries.

no wonder ppl say possessing multiple citizenship (one of which being US citizenship) can be problematic.

In that case, I would agree that the agent overstepped their authority by refusing the traveler to use their German passport for entry into Brazil. (Unless of course there is some sort of special procedure that only affects Brazil, which wouldn't make much sense).

In that case, I would agree that the agent overstepped their authority by refusing the traveler to use their German passport for entry into Brazil. (Unless of course there is some sort of special procedure that only affects Brazil, which wouldn't make much sense).

It would be interesting to know if someone called the airline about this prior to checking in. There should be a more authoritative answer available there rather than from an agent who may not be familiar with the intricacies of dual citizenship.

It would be interesting to know if someone called the airline about this prior to checking in. There should be a more authoritative answer available there rather than from an agent who may not be familiar with the intricacies of dual citizenship.

Even then, it would like calling USCIS for information:you'd get conflicting answers.:D

I am also a dual citizen (UK/US) and will be travelling to Brazil in a couple of weeks. No time for a visa. What was the actual outcome of this guys travels - what did he do? I'v heard horror stories when showing both passports. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I responded to you in your thread. But, I guess the issue here is whether the Brazilians, knowing you came from the US, will insist you enter on a US passport with a visa (as they charge for that). It really shouldn't be the case, though.

lol, this thread is hilarious! :cool:

Probably the first time I see when combination of GC+NationalPassport may be better then having 2 passports. ... at least for this instance

If the questioner travelled to Brazil using his german (EU) passport and asked about his status, he would just show the GC and there was no issue at all ...

Well, it's clear that dual citizenship is still an oddball status that countries do their best to discourage. This has permeated through to people in different industries. Either way, it's not an exact science, and one has to learn the ropes and be flexible with it.

I remember being at SFO with a friend who was flying home to Australia. She is also a US citizen. At the counter, she showed her US passport. She was asked if she had proof of having an ETA for Australia, at which time she just showed her Australian passport. Case solved.

On the bus to Toronto this weekend, I was sitting next to a man who clearly thought he knew everything there is to know about almost everything. He claimed to be a US and Canadian citizen. When he pulled out his US passport close to the border, I asked him why he chose not to use his Canadian passport. He claimed that the US is very strict, and that if they were to find out he had another citizenship, they would revoke his US citizenship and passport on the spot. There was no arguing with him. I am NOT a fan of people like that.