Documents needed for Naturalization

docs

Do documents need to be originals or copis are OK (talking about birth certificate for example).
Thanks

How to Obtain Departure/ Arrival records from CBP Land Border US/Canada in WA

Hi there,

I am a Canadian with US green Card since Jun3 2007 and will be eligible to apply for N400 in 2012.

But I have made numerous same day, 1 day, 2 day and sometimes a few days trips to Canada and back as I have all my families in Canada. Generally I go to Canada almost every Friday or Saturday and back on Sundays; sometimes Monday mornings- in total I would probably have made approximately 50-60 trips of 2 days per week a year but I have never kept a diary or exact records.

How can I obtain the actual records from CBP or is there any other alternative to overcome this problem.

Thanks in advance.

I dont have divorce decree but i have a certified copy of divorce papers from the court.. Just wondering if it will be okay to submit certified copy of divorce papers as a proof of divorce for naturalization or will they require divorce decree only? thankyou

Prior Spouse's Immigration Status

Hi,
I’m filling out N-400 application for Naturalization and I have a question regarding part 8G2 – “Prior Spouse's Immigration Status”.
8G2: Prior Spouse's Immigration Status:
- U.S. Citizen
- Lawful Permanent Resident
- Other
I’m a male and my wife is an American citizen at birth. She was previously married to a non-american ex-husband who got his green card through their marriage. We are not in touch with my wife’s ex-husband and we can’t locate him. We know that my wife’s ex-husband was a permanent resident at the time they got divorce but we don’t know if he applied or got his citizenship since their divorce.
Which option do I select for part 8G2?
Thanks

Hi,
I’m filling out N-400 application for Naturalization and I have a question regarding part 8G2 – “Prior Spouse's Immigration Status”.
8G2: Prior Spouse's Immigration Status:
- U.S. Citizen
- Lawful Permanent Resident
- Other
I’m a male and my wife is an American citizen at birth. She was previously married to a non-american ex-husband who got his green card through their marriage. We are not in touch with my wife’s ex-husband and we can’t locate him. We know that my wife’s ex-husband was a permanent resident at the time they got divorce but we don’t know if he applied or got his citizenship since their divorce.
Which option do I select for part 8G2?
Thanks

That question refers to your prior spouse's immigration status, not that of your wife's prior spouse. If you haven't been married previously, leave that question blank.

Hello,

I know this was already posted but I wanted to emphasis that it's very important that you take your marriage certificate with you!

I had my interview today at the Washington, DC/Fairfax office and the first thing the IO asked was my marriage certificate! I had taken everything (tax transcript, kids birth certificate, DMV driving record, etc...) but that!! And besides my passport and driving license, that is the ONLY document I was asked for. Luckily, my IO was nice and gave me an appointment letter for tomorrow so that I can take it to him. He is going to schedule the oath for Thursday!

So please do it even if your GC was not based on marriage. He told me they are requiring it for everybody who files "married' on their application!

Hi I enter into US with H1B Visa ( non immigrant visa).

I am eligible to apply citizenship, and Requested status letter from "Selective Service System". In the mean time I would like to apply with explanation letter.

To,
Immigration Officer
USCIS

My name is xxxxxxxx applying for US Citizenship ( A-xxxxxxxx). I born on May 2X ,19xx, at the age of 23 I entered into US on Jun 25th 1998 with H1B visa (non immigrant visa) and keep renewing my H1B visa until I received my Permanent Residency Card ( Green Card) which is on 22nd Dec 2006. I maintained the H1 B Visa status all that time. By the time I received my GC, I was 28 years of age.

Thank you,

XXXXXX

Is it Good enough ?

Do I include bank statement for the last recent month or for all months for the last three years?

Hi,
I'm filing my N-400 for the first time (original submission) on the basis of marriage to a U.S citizen. I've been gathering all the supportive documents and I have a question about the following:

# 4 in the document checklist asks to include Tax returns, bank accounts, but don’t say for how many years these documents should go back. http://www.uscis.gov/files/article/attachments.pdf

My questions:
1. Should I include all bank statements for the last 3 years (last 36 months which is 36 statements). If yes, do I include copy of only the first page of the bank statement or copy of the entire statement which is 4-5 pages each statement?
3. I’m also intending to include credit card statements, and utility bills - should I include the last statement or statements for the last 3 years (36 months)?
2. Do I include copy of my tax return for the past three years or only for the last tax year? (don’t confuse this with IRS tax return transcript, which I’ve already ordered for the last three years)

I feel that if I include utility, bank account, and credit card documents of each month for the past three years, then the application is going to be so thick.
Thanks you for your answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kids School and US Citizenship

During the application or interview, for citizenship, is it necessary to have the child live with you and go to school where the app is filed?
My child is a US citizen but want to be with her grandparents in india and do her schooling.

Will it raise a red flag?

Please advice

N 400 Application

Hi everybody,

Is filling the N400 easy or I need a lawyer?
I was in removal procedings 4 years ago, is this considerd an arrest?

Filing with or without lawyer

Hi mosamno2,

I see no one has responded to you query.
Did you file your N400 with the help of a lawyer?

Affidavit of Support

Hi! Does anyone have an example of an affidavit of support that needs to be presented when an applicant isn't working? I'm supporting my mother, so I need to provide an affidavit for her and would feel a lot more comfortable with some sort of a generally-accepted wording instead of making it up on my own.

Some more details: my mother & I have filed our N-400s at the same time and are now busy putting together the documents for our interviews (in a month). I already ordered tax transcripts from IRS for myself (have worked in 2006-2010), so can use that, W-2s and so forth. However, my mom hasn't worked for quite a few years now, so the best we can get for her are 2006 transcript (didn't work but had a class action settlement for unpaid OT) and verification of nonfiling letters for 2007-2010. I'll give her my tax returns (since she's listed as dependent), but based on my review of this thread, she needs an affidavit of support from me too and I'd feel a lot safer using one that someone else had already used successfully :)

Thank you!

If you have an adopted child...

Make sure you take all the adoption related papers and copies. I was asked to show them. Did not have copies and the IO was not too happy - but ended up making copies for herself.

Traffic citation from 10 years ago ?

I have a couple of traffic tickets from 10 years ago.
One i had paid and the other was dismissed as the office did not show up.

I don't think i have saved the paperwork from these citations.
Is there a way to get the records from the court/municipality about these citations?

I live in NJ and the citations were in PA. I don't even remember the which township they were in.

Another ticket was 2 years ago for hanging a toy from the rear view mirror inside the car. Is that a citation?

neo

question about expired passport.

My citizenship interview is coming up next month. I just came to know my Indian passport is expiring 1 week earlier then the interview date. Is it OK to carry the expired passport to the interview or renew my passport. I am not sure if I get the new passport before the interview date.
Any suggestions please??

My citizenship interview is coming up next month. I just came to know my Indian passport is expiring 1 week earlier then the interview date. Is it OK to carry the expired passport to the interview or renew my passport. I am not sure if I get the new passport before the interview date.
Any suggestions please??

There's no requirement to have a valid passport for the naturalization process. An expired passport will be fine.

There's no requirement to have a valid passport for the naturalization process. An expired passport will be fine.

Thanks for the response. I did call USCIS and was NOT able to get the proper answer from them. I guess you are right. When I was going through the naturalization guide, I found the following in the FAQ

Bring identification and provide additional documents if USCIS requests them
You should bring the following identification to your interview: (a) your Permanent Resident or Alien Registration Card, (b) your passport (even if it has expired), (c) State Identification Card, and (d) any Reentry Permits you have.