Detroit MI - N-400 Timeline

Timeline

N-400 sent - 11/4/08
FP - 11/20 Walk-in (Original date was 12/6)
IL - 3/26
ID - 5/14

How fast is the Detroit office with regards to the turn-around after the interview date? What's the average time between ID (if approved during the interview) and the Oath?

Thanks,

My mom had her interview today, should have been at 11:45am but they got there at 10:30am, and by 11:30am they were already out. The questions they asked her were pretty simple, who is the president, who are your 2 senators, colors of the flag, who becomes pres after pres and vp dies, they asked her the name of US nat form, who MLK is, what is the emancipation proclamation, like 10 questions. Then they had her write "I went to the post office"

Prior to that, they went thru her file, asked her some questions about previous travel, what my father does, just verifying everything that had been put on the forms.

Then she congratulated her, gave her an interview pass form, and said oath letter will come in the mail. Mine is in a few days, I'll post my update, so I hope we get the same oath ceremony, that will be a blessing.

Had mine today, interview was at 9:30am, got there around 9:05am, dropped interview paper at the counter box in the room. They called me around 9:30 or so. Straight fwd, I was only asked 7 questions, you only need 6 to pass. I was asked the president, colors of the flag, who becomes pres after pres and vp dies, when was constitution written, the one about the 4 amendments, cant remember the other 2 but very simple. Took about 15mins max. I forgot to bring passport pics, so had to go to the office attached to the building to get it, 2 for $15, 4 for $20.
Had me print my name on the pics, gave me form saying I passed interview, and said I'll get oath letter in 2-4 weeks, if I dont hear back in 60days, he gave me a paper to call the 1-800# or their supervisor # there.
Interview was a breeze, dont even sweat it.
I thank God just the ceremonial Oath left, and I can call this process a done deal!

My mom just got her oath letter, her interview was only a week ago, 3 business days before mine, so I'm expecting mine early next week. We should get the same oath ceremony :)

Dr Love.
When is her Oath date? Does Detroit have a fixed oath date every month? Do u know if it is once a once a month event?

Dr Love.
When is her Oath date? Does Detroit have a fixed oath date every month? Do u know if it is once a once a month event?

its april 21, its in Grand Rapids, the immigration official said there's an oath ceremony every month in both places (GR and Detroit), depending on where u stay. He said letter should come 2-4weeks after interview, and if u dont get it then to call them.

its april 21, its in Grand Rapids, the immigration official said there's an oath ceremony every month in both places (GR and Detroit), depending on where u stay. He said letter should come 2-4weeks after interview, and if u dont get it then to call them.

So it seems that there are more oath ceremony dates in a month. I got my Oath letter today in the mail, interview was March 31, so like 11 days ago. Mine is for April 22nd in Grand Rapids. My mom's interview was March 26, and hers is April 21 also in Grand Rapids. LOL so I'll have to be there both dates. Just thankful to God that my journey is basically over! Happy Easter!

Detroit Oath Ceremony - April 16

My wife had her naturalization interview on March 26, 2009 at the new Detroit USCIS office (much, much nicer than the offices on Mt. Elliot). She passed the tests and was recommended for citizenship. She was told to expect a letter in about five weeks for the oath ceremony, with the ceremony to be about two weeks after we received the letter.

On Saturday, April 11, we received the oath ceremony letter telling us it's going to be this Thursday (April 16). So much for two weeks notice!! The ceremony is at the US District Court office in downtown Detroit. She has to be there by 8:30am. We live south of Ann Arbor, so we will have to leave before 7am since we don't know what traffic may be like on I-94 at that time.

Anyone know how many people take the oath at the District Court offices? We're trying to figure out if we should take the kids (2 year old and a 9 month old).

Detroit Oath Ceremony - Update

My wife took the oath yesterday (April 16), so she if officially a US citizen. We are all so happy that this journey is over. There were 75 people taking the oath yesterday from 36 different countries. When we arrived at the courthouse, a lady took my wifes green card and the oath ceremony form. She gave her some informational books and a US flag (plus a flag for our two year old). The ceremony started at 9am when the same lady who was collecting the green cards talked about what would be going on today, applying for passports, name changes, etc. Then the judge came in. He gave a very nice speech about America and being a citizen. He then administered the oath. Then the clerk read out each persons name and country, and they came forward to get their naturalization certificate. The certificate contained the picture my wife wrote her name on at the naturalization interview. After everyone got their certificate, the clerk dismissed everyone. The judge stayed around to take pictures with people. Everything ended about 10am. It was a very pleasant experience. The room was very nice. There's plenty of room for kids to wander around. I have to commend USCIS and the Federal Court people for a job well done.

Because of election, some people took more time for interview letter. I was told that process will go faster as number of applicants are reduced by 25% compared to last year. Any opinion on above statement?

YAY!!! I'm officially a US citizen!!! :) Thank God! It hasnt sunk in just yet, probably wont till I actually travel since that will come first before I vote!

I had my ceremony yesterday in Grand Rapids and it would have been great except it was my 2nd in 2days as I had to go monday for other family members.
The one Monday lasted an hr, and mine on tues lasted 30 mins! The time on your letter is an hr before the ceremony so it gives them time to sign everyone in. Turn in the completed form sent to you and your green card. If you forget your oath letter as long as your name is on the list, you will be alright.

Ceremony starts with the immigration person answering questions about passports and other stuff (Detroit agency in additional to Chicago one do same day passports if u have travel within 10days or 2weeks cant remember), we were reminded to go to Social sec office and update them and then the high schl rotc group presents the flag, and then the judge comes in and everyone rises. Anthem is sung by a soloist, Oath is administered, judge gives some remarks, people are asked to come forth and get their certificates and mini flags, applauses are held till the end. The soloist sang another song, God Bless America, and its over. The judges were present on both days afterwards to take pics with folks.
There were about 50+ people both days, they usually provide extra space in the room for family/friends.
People could register to vote afterwards and Post office folks were around to take passport applications, they also had a copier too to make a copy of your certificate for you to keep, while the original is submitted with your application. Passport fees are $100 for regular, and $160 for expedited.

My process took 7+ months!

Best wishes to everyone! God Bless America my home sweet home!

N-400 sent - 11/4/08
FP - 11/20 Walk-in (Original date was 12/6)
IL - 3/26
ID - 5/14

How fast is the Detroit office with regards to the turn-around after the interview date? What's the average time between ID (if approved during the interview) and the Oath?

Thanks,

It would appear as if I'm an extreme case here, but I had my interview on February 19th, it was recommended for approval, but during today's infopass I found out that it has yet to be even approved. Needless to say, I'm a little upset, but luckily for everyone else it doesn't like a normal timeline.

Guys please help I am new here.. I got my GC on 13/Sep/2004. When can I apply N-400? As far as I know, one can apply 90 days before 5 yrs completion that puts right at 15-Jun-2009. Also, do we need a lawyer or just do it by urself? Any other preparation tips would be really helpful.

My wife is on H1B without a job, I need to apply Citizenship ASAP and apply for her GC thru my Citizenship status. Do I have to wait till my Oath date for me to apply GC for my wife? please help if you know anything on this.

Thanks in advance!

You can apply 90 days prior to date shown on GC. In your case you can apply on June 13 2009. If your case is straight forward i.e. no arrests etc. then you can do it yourself, most of us here in the board have filed on our own. In regards to your wife, I think it would be best to wait until you get your oath. If you’re lucky you will get oath with in 6 months form the time you file.

You can apply up to 90 days before you have have 5 years of continuous residency as an LPR. It's not just a matter of applying 90 days before your GC anniversary date since you must have continuous residency as well.

You can apply up to 90 days before you have have 5 years of continuous residency as an LPR. It's not just a matter of applying 90 days before your GC anniversary date since you must have continuous residency as well.

Good Point

Getting my interview tomorrow in Detroit... Hoping for the best... Anyone got last pointers I might need to know for the interview tomorrow...

I'll report on how it goes...