Detroit MI - N-400 Timeline

Passport Received

It took 12 days to get passport back by mail. And that is just regular service. I don't think it make sense to pay extra for it.

Oath: 12/3
Passport sent 12/3
Passport received by center 12/10
Passport processed by center 12/13
Passport received by mail 12/15

Thats pretty quick!

It definitely doesn't make sense to expedite it or try to make use of the same day service if you're not traveling in the next 4 to 8 weeks. Even after you apply AND if your situation changes so that you need to travel immediately one can avail of the same day service.

It looks like I'm stuck in this rut for long as my case is pending because of background check. It has been over 11 months and I still do not have an interview date.

Can someone recommend a good lawyer in Detroit area please? Also, can lawyers do anything to expedite background check?

It looks like I'm stuck in this rut for long as my case is pending because of background check. It has been over 11 months and I still do not have an interview date.

Can someone recommend a good lawyer in Detroit area please? Also, can lawyers do anything to expedite background check?

Got oath letters issued for a lot of citizenship WOM cases in Federal Court, Laffyette Street, MI, Very Successful:

Marshal Hyman Associates
3250 W Big Beaver Rd # 529
Troy, MI , 48084-2902
Phone: 248-643-0642
FAX: 248-646-3999

Got oath letters issued for a lot of citizenship WOM cases in Federal Court, Laffyette Street, MI, Very Successful:

Marshal Hyman Associates
3250 W Big Beaver Rd # 529
Troy, MI , 48084-2902
Phone: 248-643-0642
FAX: 248-646-3999

Thanks for the reference lotechguy!! I will contact marshal Hyman Associates tomorrow. What about Laffyette st.? Should I explore anyone from that st. who could help in this matter?

My first question to them is going to be what are they going to do to expedite the process and steps from there. I will keep you guys posted.

I went for a daytrip to Windsor on Saturday, bringing just my Naturalization Certificate. It felt a little strange to not carry the French passport anymore to cross a border by road but everything went fine - the Naturalization Certificate is accepted as valid ID and proof of citizenship at present time.
----------------------
Detroit DO - NSC
09/28/98 Entered on K-1 (Fiance) Visa
12/19/98 Married with US Citizen (still happily married 9 years after )
12/24/98 Filed I-485, I-130, I-765 in OKC (NSC)
01/03/99 Moved to Texas (TSC)
05/xx/00 Moved to Eastern PA (VSC)
11/xx/00 Moved to Central NJ (VSC)
03/19/01 LPR
03/xx/03 Received GC dated 03/19/2001
03/20/07 N-400 Priority Date
04/12/07 FP done
09/19/07 Interview passed :)
10/26/07 Naturalized Citizen :)

Thanks for the reference lotechguy!! I will contact marshal Hyman Associates tomorrow. What about Laffyette st.? Should I explore anyone from that st. who could help in this matter?

My first question to them is going to be what are they going to do to expedite the process and steps from there. I will keep you guys posted.

I meant the Federal court is located on Lafyatte st.

Got Interview date. How do I request a change ?

I got the interview letter for April 8th in Detroit, but since my wife will not be able to make it (for medical reasons) how do I go about requesting a change for her ?

Any other suggestions ?

Stuck on background checking

I called NSC and requested to talk with a real IIO. He said my case was delaied because I am stuck on background checking, and I would received a explaination letter. i received that letter yesterday, saying the same thing.:confused:

N-400, NSC
PD 03-29-07
FP 04-xx-07

Interview Change

I got the interview letter for April 8th in Detroit, but since my wife will not be able to make it (for medical reasons) how do I go about requesting a change for her ?

Any other suggestions ?

This is what we did:

1. My wife had interview date on Dec. 19, 07 when we were supposed to be in India, hence sent a letter in Oct. 07 along with the IL notice explaining the reason why she cannot attend the interview and requesting an alternate date.

2. Nothing happened. She went to India and after coming back there was a notice from Detroit office saying you did not appear for interview and explain the reason within 1-month of the notice, else file will be closed.

3. We took an infopass to go and explain right away, but the lady rep there said you have to reply in writing before 1-month deadline.

4. We sent a letter explaining that she was in India on Dec. 19 and to reschedule the interview by certified mail with return signature card.

5. After 4-5 days again we sent a copy of the same letter as in 4 above by certified mail with return signature card. I was getting concerned that it may take months before she will get a rescheduled date.

6. Within 10 days Detroit office sent a rescheduled interview date for Jan. 31, 08.

7. Lesson learned:
a. if you have to necessarily reschedule the interview, go ahead and do it. Follow it up with a letter explaining why you are missing the interview and the dates when you will be gone.
b. for any communication with Detroit office, use certified mail with return signature card requested.

Hello, Anybody from Detroit who recently got interview notices? Just curious what dates are they processing now? I applied in November and got my finger printing completed in Jan, but no interview letter so far.

Interview experience at Detroit.

333 Mt Elliott St., Detroit DO [Rosa Parks Federal Bldg. I think]
I'ts on the corner. Turn Right into gated parking lot. Visitors parking is in the back. Entrance to bldg near the gate.
--> No camera's [specially cell phone ones] or food allowed.
--> Bring BLACK pen & Pencil.

"Put your interview letter in the box" [marked Citizenship or GC]. Was called on time.

"Raise your hand ....."
Offered updated N-400. IO copied the info down.
Small talk.
IO went through N-400 questions. Confirmed traffic tickets had been paid, no arrests.
Noticed that last entry/exit was not in my application [Canada by car]. No problem there.
Asked to read & write a small sentence.
Write name on N-400 {in Black}
Write name on Photos. {w/ Black felt tipped pen that IO gave me}
"Approved". Sign on Oath letter [N-x6x]
Oath may be in May, or June. "Processing thousands"

Back out in less than 20 minutes. [I was impressed at the IO's efficiency. The work environment is another thing. There were boxes piled high overflowing with files.]

Spouse had similar experience. Name change on the fly was no problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
333 Mt Elliott St., Detroit DO [Rosa Parks Federal Bldg. I think]
I'ts on the corner. Turn Right into gated parking lot. Visitors parking is in the back. Entrance to bldg near the gate.
--> No camera's [specially cell phone ones] or food allowed.
--> Bring BLACK pen & Pencil.

"Put your interview letter in the box" [marked Citizenship or GC]. Was called on time.

"Raise your hand ....."
Offered updated N-400. IO copied the info down.
Small talk.
IO went through N-400 questions. Confirmed traffic tickets had been paid, no arrests.
Noticed that last entry/exit was not in my application [Canada by car]. No problem there.
Asked to read & write a small sentence.
Write name on N-400 {in Black}
Write name on Photos. {w/ Black felt tipped pen that IO gave me}
"Approved". Sign on Oath letter [N-x6x]
Oath may be in May, or June. "Processing thousands"

Back out in less than 20 minutes. [I was impressed at the IO's efficiency. The work environment is another thing. There were boxes piled high overflowing with files.]

Congratulations!! Let's hope your approved application doesn't get lost in one of those overflowing boxes.

Congratulation Ugrvr. My interview is scheduled for May 16th. Wish me luck.
Is there any schedule for oaths in Detroit? For example, I heard people saying that City A has oath every other Tuesday or something like that.

Interview letter

Priority date Jan 17, 2008
FP- Feb 15, 2008
Interview letter received- Apr 10, 2008
Interview at Detroit- June 19, 2008

Detroit N-400 oath tracker

Found this on http://www.immihelp.com/forum posted 04-12-2008:

"My Citizenship interview was done on Mar10th @ Detroit field office. ...
I received my invitation letter for the Oath Ceremony, scheduled for April 22nd.
For those who are waiting for the ceremony dates, here are the dates that I know of in Detroit, April 14th, 22nd, May1st!
..."

Congratulation Ugrvr. My interview is scheduled for May 16th. Wish me luck.
Is there any schedule for oaths in Detroit? For example, I heard people saying that City A has oath every other Tuesday or something like that.

N445 Oath ceremony in Detroit

I'm scheduled for May 23, 2008 @ Cobo Hall in Detroit @ 9am.

Bring:
N-445 filled
PR card
Reentry/Travel doc's
Any immigration docs
Child

Proper attire.

Passport received, regular service is extremely fast

Timeline
-------------------
10/26/2007 Naturalized US Citized
04/28/2008 Applied for passport in Westland, regular service
05/02/2008 State Department website indicates that passport is issued, delivery expected on 05/10
05/07/2008 Passport received