Detroit MI - N-400 Timeline

hey all im going for my interview on June 18 at the detroit office so i see from all that already received their oath letter its atking about 4 weeks for oath cremony is that correct?

liamtoh1

ya i see here that the average from the interview to oath ceremony is weeks hopefully this process will not dreag any longer im tired.

284 days for me.

From what I have been seeing on this site and on other sites is that if your case procedes in a normal fashion then it takes between 4 and 5 months for the entire N400 Process. But if your case gets stuck for some odd reason then all bets are off.

Interview Experience

Here is an update of our naturalization process.

We (wife and I) had our interview yesterday (05/22/07) @ Detroit DO. It was very easy and nice. Our appointment time was @ 2.00 but we reached early around 1:25pm. The parking lot of the immigration office at 333 Elliott office was full and we had to park at a parking lot just at the opposite side of the road for a fee of $5.00. Our kids (two) also accompanied us. The immigration office's waiting hall was less than half full. I was called @ 1:50and the officer asked me to sworn. After that I handed over my GC, DL and passports (current and expired one). The officer went through my application with lightening speed. The officer asked me whether I DUI and I answered in negative. The officer made a note of this. The officer just confirmed about all the details in the application (especially all the question/answers at the last couple of sections of the N400 application). After this he asked me to sign on the application form (one signature and print full name at three paces) and on two photographs (print full name). The officer told me that the trick to write on a glossy photograph is to rub the photograph with an eraser first. Once he did so on my photographs and provided me a pen to write, it was absolutely no problem to write the name on the photographs and application

Then he asked me following history questions.
1. What color are the stars on our flag?
2. Who becomes the president of the U.S. if the president should die?
3. What are the three branches of the U.S. government?
4. How many senators are there in the U.S. Congress?
5. What special group advises the president?
6. What is the Bill of rights?

The officer did not ask any further questions but gave 100% in the Q/A sheet.

I read “Today is a sunny day” and wrote “They are a very happy family". That’s it. He said, congratulations, I am recommending your application for approval. After that he told me that since my FP was done at Grand Rapid, the oath ceremony will be either at Grand Rapid or Holland. I should be getting a Oath letter in 3 weeks time. The oath will be in the summer (anytime between June to August; he was not sure what are the scheduled dates for the oath).

In my wife case, it was also almost like my case. She was called just after I came out (2.07 PM). So when she went with the officer, she already knew that I have been approved. Once she was also approved (after 10 minutes of interview) the officer asked whether I was already done with the interview or not. When my wife told that I have also passed and approved, he made sure that both of our cases are put together in order to get same oath place and date.

I had taken the Tax return transcripts for the last 5 years with me but the officers did not ask for it.

We were all done and finally out of the immigration building by 2.25 pm

I wish you all to clear their citizenship interview very successfully.

Thanks for this informative and knowledgeable forum.

Here is my time line.
02/07/07: Priority Date
02/12/07: Checks cashed
02/17/07: Status available online
02/17/07: Received N-400 Receipt Notice
02/19/07: FP Letter Received (for myself with FP date 28 FEB07)
02/19/07: FP Letter Received (for wife with FP date 02MAR07)
02/28/07: FP Completed (wife walk-in along with me at Grand Rapid ASC)
03/27/07: IL Notice Date(for me and wife)
03/29/07: IL Notice posting stamp Date
04/02/07: IL Received Date (for both of us)
05/22/07: IL completed (for both of us)
xx/xx/xx: OL Received Date
xx/xx/xx: Oath completed

Hopefully not long for all of us....

SHARK

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,

I have finished the oath ceremony today at Cobo Hall. About 600 people got their citizenship today. The duration of the ceremony was about 45 minutes. As the group was large, getting the certificate, Updating social security cards, voter registration and passport application took a long time. Please note that original naturalization certificate should be submitted to the State Department for the passport application. Please be advised that regular passport application processing time is 12 weeks (estimated) and expedited (2-3 weeks).

I will hang around this forum atleast for a couple of months to share my experience with others.

GOOD LUCK..

Unclesam

My final timeline for Naturalization

N-400 Timeline (Detroit, MI)
01/16/07: N-400 Mailed (USPS Priority w/DC)
01/19/07: N-400 Received by NSC
01/19/07: Priority Date
01/24/07: Checks cashed
01/25/07: Status available online
01/26/07: Received N-400 Receipt Notice
01/29/07: FP Letter Received
02/08/07: FP Completed
02/23/07: IL Notice Date
02/27/07: IL Received Date
04/23/07: IL Scheduled Date, Completed, Approved :)
05/14/07: Oath letter received
05/23/07: Oath ceremony date (completed)
TOTAL DAYS: 127 days (from application to oath).

UncleSam has already described the ceremony in the above post, so no need for me to repeat it again. I was sitting with my kids in the last row.

After the oath, the process was to have an usher guide one row of people to the another table where take away your GC and Oath letter and give your Natz. Cert. In my case, when the usher came, she started from the last row. Hence my family was out by 10:30am

The whole process was also shortened (short speech, etc) as it was starting to get uncomfortable in the room due to failure of A/C in the room with more than 1000 people (including guests).

Thanks to all the folks in this forum. I will hang in here for some more time to see if I could provide any helpful comment.

I have a question: I am ready to apply for citizenship but I dont remember that I changed my address four years ago when I moved to different apartment in Michigan. Is there anyway to confirm my current address in INS.

Thanks for help

Get your Credit Report. It will list all your addresses in US (if you have rented the apt. in your name).

I am not sure that I updated my current address with INS four years ago when i moved. Is there anyway to confirm to check it with INS

Shark,
Congrats on clearing interview. Your detail discription of the interview gives other an idea what to expect. Thanks for writing in detail.

unclesam and liamtoh1
Thanks for sharing your experiences too. Please hang around for few more months for others benefit.

syedaus,
Try Zabasearch.com to find previous addresses. But in regards to find out if INS has been updated can only be found out by calling them.

Application Timeline

My application timeline (wife as well).

05/12/07: N-400 mailed to NSC (priority with D/C)
05/14/07: N-400 received by NSC
05/14/07: Priority date
05/15/07: Checks cashed
05/23/07: Received N-400 Receipt Notice

I got IL in mail yesterday.

3/23/07 Mailed to NSC
3/26/07 Received date
3/26/07 Priority date
3/29/07 Checks cashed
4/02/07 Notice date
4/07/07 Received Receipt Notice and FP Letter
4/19/07 FP appointment
5/21/07 Notice date for IL
7/19/07 Interview date

One First Name Missing on USCIS Letters

Congratulations GCHopes!

Just out curiosity, does your case still show up on the USCIS website? I know it does not always disappear when the Service Center sends the file to the District Office / schedules an Interview however in case yours still shows up, it may mean that the NSC just does not remove the cases from the USCIS website, and it may mean that my IL is on the way as well, since we have similar timelines so far...

Also, I noticed that all correspondence so far mentions only 4 of my 5 first names listed on my Birth Certificate. I may give a call to Customer Service to make sure they got all of them OK. I can take the opportunity of the call to check on the status of my application.

---------------------------------
N400 TImeline
NSC - Detroit DO
03/20/07 Priority Date
04/12/07 FP done

Case Status on USCIS Website

Dont wory about the disappearance or no-disappearance of case status on USCIS website.

In my case as well as in my wife's case the case status have not disappeared and are still showing as "pending" even though we have already completed our interviews!

Shark

McMahon,
No, it has not disappeared. Like Shark said, it is not a good indicator. Even PunjabDaPuttar and rs_detroit mentioned previously that their case did not disappear.

I am sure yours is in the mail. What I noticed for Detroit DO, based on the cases listed here, the interview date is scheduled approximately THREE months from the FP.

citizenship interview

I read SHARK interview experience..all the procedure was basically the same.
Oficer was very nice and had a smily face that in some way conforted me.

My interview last maximum 10 minutes , I think even less than this. and history questions were easy too. ( i'm not sure, but while a was signing my aplication form, she printed my questions, so the computer chose questions randomly).
1 - what r the colors of the flag?
2- how many supreme courts are there?
3- who elects the congress?
4- who is the comander in chief.....
5- how many branches are there in the government?
6 - what is the most important right granted to US citizen?

I had to write:

It is a good job to work with.

and I read : He knows to ride a bike.

that's all.
I asked about the Oath ceremony., so she said that I will receive a letter within 2 or 3 months with the specific date!!!! But i realized from this forum, that usually it takes almost 3 or 4 weeks to receive the letter, right?

regards to all

michiganresiden,
Congrats. Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you mentioned any traffic tickets in your application?

I take your question 2 is 'how many supreme court justices are there?'
Thanks

GChopes

michiganresiden,
Congrats. Thanks for sharing your experience. Have you mentioned any traffic tickets in your application?

I take your question 2 is 'how many supreme court justices are there?'
Thanks
Thanks.
No I didnt , cause i do not have any traffic ticket.
I was reading your previous posts, and it seems that u r worried about this point..so why dont you try to call , or take an info pass .
( in my case officer even didnt asked me if I have a T T )....

do u have an interview date or not yet?