Detroit MI - N-400 Timeline

Any bad experience or tough questions in interview

Anyone have any bad experience or does know anyone have rough interview?

Does anyone know what documents need to be submitted with the citizenship appication (N-400) (Green Card on employment base) or the web address?

Anyone have any bad experience or does know anyone have rough interview?

My wife had a bad experience...

Statements like - 'How come you got a speeding ticket?' were made in a loud/threatening voice.

Eventually he did pass her in the interview. But it left a bad impression.

Note: The ticket was mentioned in the application with a remark that the fine was paid. We also had the documentation to support the ticket fine.

Thanks.
No I didnt , cause i do not have any traffic ticket.
I was reading your previous posts, and it seems that u r worried about this point..so why dont you try to call , or take an info pass .
( in my case officer even didnt asked me if I have a T T )....

do u have an interview date or not yet?

I am only concerned because, I cant trace the tickets I got 12 yrs back. DMV records do not show those tickets and I do not remember which township/county I got them. I have an interview date.

how can i get a copy of all my traffic ticket for the last 5 years i live in detroit michigan? ur help is appreciated.

WORRIED2007 ,
Try to call Michigan Department of State Record Lookup Unit ( tel : 517-3221624 ), they have up to 10 years of ur driving records and maybe they have ur traffic ticket copies.

GChopes : 12 years ago.....it has been a long time! I dont know if this will help , but if u have any document of the car u were driving at that time , u can ask for a vehicle record calling the tel # mentioned above.

regards

Traffic Ticket

how can i get a copy of all my traffic ticket for the last 5 years i live in detroit michigan? ur help is appreciated.

I went to 52nd disctict court yesterday to get a copy of my record on one speeding ticket I received three years ago. First I was told that the records were purged, but found my case number. The lady was nice enough to look up my file and gave me a letter detailed the case with disposition. Usually they take $10 for each letter, but she did not take any money from me. Usually one needs to request the record and it takes 24 hrs for them to give letter..

Hope this helps..

Congratulations!!

I got IL in mail yesterday.

3/23/07 Mailed to NSC
3/26/07 Received date
3/26/07 Priority date
3/29/07 Checks cashed
4/02/07 Notice date
4/07/07 Received Receipt Notice and FP Letter
4/19/07 FP appointment
5/21/07 Notice date for IL
6/19/07 Interview date

Congrats GChopes on your interview date. You had finder prints two weeks after me but your interview date is two days before me. I guess I we all need stop figuring timeline for this process. Good luck and post your interview experience.

Traffic Tickets

One can request certified driving records from any SOS "Plus" location in person OR from the SOS main office in Lansing by paying $8. It is preferred to go to a location because you can get the record on the spot. You can also request an unedited version that would contain even closed incidents. The record is for a maximum of 7 years only (the timeline is the SOS time limit for plate confiscation). If any tickets are not paid then it WILL show up regardless of the 7 year limit.

GCHopes - I think I got a speeding ticket before 7 years but didn't know the exact location nor the court where I paid off. So I just took a huge radius of the possible location and called all the district courts traffic divisions (some are bigger that they have seperate traffic divisions and some are very small and even share a judge with another DC) within that radius to find out. All the courts (about 5/6) had one thing in common, they didn't have any info about the ticket and their info didn't go beyond 7 years (for closed cases).

Thanks for the all the suggestions. I moved to MI 10 months ago. In the last 12 years, I lived in four states/four licenses. So I got three DMV with clean record and waiting for one more to come. In all, I had Six Driver Licenses for six states.

I am thinking of taking a sworn self affidavit stating that to my knowledge I paid off my speeding tickets and they were less than $500. This suggestion was given by JohnyCash. But again, this may not be an issue.

rs_detroit, I made a mistake in stating my date. Its actually July 19. After reading your post I realized my mistake and corrected it.

Thanks for all your postings.

Traffic Ticket

Hi all,
I have a question and I hope someone can answer it to me, I had 2 or there speeding tickets and all of them 5 miles more than the limit, once I got the ticket I'm always submit a court date to remove the points but still I have to pay the penalty.
So I have zero points but still had traffic tickets.
My question is: do I still have to get the record of my driving tickets even though I did not mention that I had tickets on my N-400?
And if I did not get those records is that mean an issue during the interview?
Thanks for all

The judge probably agreed for a deal to remove the points for paying the penalty and the state probably did that and the expectation is that you keep your end of the bargain as well. You knew enough to appear in court to contest the ticket and remove the points so I am assuming that you also know that you needed to follow through in its entirety. Anyways, integrity is a personal thing.

Personal suggestion: Pay off the tickets, get the court dispositions, get your driving record as close to when you need it (before interview) to give time for the payoffs to reflect, even if the fine receipts are not reflected in your record you can show your dispositions, let the DO know about tickets during the interview.

speeding tickets

The judge probably agreed for a deal to remove the points for paying the penalty and the state probably did that and the expectation is that you keep your end of the bargain as well. You knew enough to appear in court to contest the ticket and remove the points so I am assuming that you also know that you needed to follow through in its entirety. Anyways, integrity is a personal thing.

Personal suggestion: Pay off the tickets, get the court dispositions, get your driving record as close to when you need it (before interview) to give time for the payoffs to reflect, even if the fine receipts are not reflected in your record you can show your dispositions, let the DO know about tickets during the interview.

Thank you so much for the reply,
I already paid the fee once I get out form the court, so I think that I need to get record for the dispositions of the tickets that I had and show it to the DO. Also if he asked me why u did not mention it in the N400 what do I have to say in this case?
Once agian thank so much

You do not need to mention in N400 apps if the ticket is less than 500 and also it should be a minor offense like speeding. If it was DUI, then you need to mention.

But again reading from this board, I believe DO asked for ticket verification even if you did not mention and evidence to show you paid.
So its better if you are prepared for it.

You do not need to mention in N400 apps if the ticket is less than 500 and also it should be a minor offense like speeding. If it was DUI, then you need to mention.QUOTE]

This is false. You need to mention ALL of your citations (traffic ticket = citation) regardless of fine amount. You do not need to mail any documentation along with N400 if the fine was less than $500 and it was not an arrest or DUI. But you may be asked for documentation for any ticket.

"16. Have you EVER been arrested, cited or detained by any law enforcement officer (including USCIS or former INS and military officers) for any reason?"

"Note that unless a traffic incident was alcohol or drug related, you do not need to SUBMIT documentation for traffic fines and incidents that did not involve an actual arrest if the only penalty was a fine of less than $500 and/or points on your driver'slicense."

I am aware that this one has been beaten to death but I disagree that a speeding ticket less than $500 "HAS" to be mentioned. This is a very subjective and ambigous debating topic and will not cease to exist until USCIS comes out with a formal announcement/amendment to the verbiage. It is quite clear that the interpretation even among the DOs is inconsistent.

N-400 application mentions that you do not need supporting documentation for incidents below $500 but then again how do you prove that the incident was below the limit? so you need documentation to prove that anyhow. If the application did not include the above statement then the declaration of "ALL" citations could be taken literally.

N-400 application mentions that you do not need supporting documentation for incidents below $500 QUOTE]

That is not what it says. You are not required to submit such documentation with initial filing. You may be asked to provide documentation during the interview. Not having it may delay decision on one's application. Not mentioning trivial traffic tickets has a risk of the application being denied based on lack of good moral character, i.e. lying under oath.

N-400 application mentions that you do not need supporting documentation for incidents below $500 QUOTE]

That is not what it says. You are not required to submit such documentation with initial filing. You may be asked to provide documentation during the interview. Not having it may delay decision on one's application. Not mentioning trivial traffic tickets has a risk of the application being denied based on lack of good moral character, i.e. lying under oath.

What happens if you don't remember if you had a ticket?
My understanding is that in most states a driving record is kept for only 5 years?
What happens if you had a ticket before that and don't remember about it?
How can you provide a receipt for something that is not on your driving record?

suresh_colo,

did you get a ticket in Colorado long time ago? I got a ticket in Adams County almost 10 years ago. And since I paid within 20 days, the county court does not have any record. But the Colorado department of Revenue has it since I paid it to them. If you go to their office in person, you can get a FULL driving record. Even my auto insurance company has my driving record for longer than last 5 years. It was them who reminded me about the ticket.

x