December Mumbai Interview Thread

Hotel Kemps Corner and Hotel Shalimar

Hotel Kemps Corner will be cheaper then Shalimar. However the difference in service can be seen with the price. Try Hotel Shalimar. It is a better and comfortable place to live for seven days. You have lots of nice places to eat (Kwality, Chinese Room, Coffee shop of Shalimar etc) and shop plus with the added luxury of being close to Breach Candy hospital( that is if you are getting your medicals done at Breach Candy, it is about 12 miles from Hinduja and 17 miles from Lilavati), major banks, and My Own Photo studio. Only drawback is that Shalimar may more pricey and it is 25 miles from the airport.

I have lived in that neighbourhood for over 12 years. I grew up there. Unfortunately choice of decent hotels in that neighbourhood is very limited. You can look up hotels in Grant Road and August Kranti Maidan. However Grant Road are is very shady. It is very close to the famous red light district of Bombay. Believe me you wouldnt want to stay there. It is primarily a residential/shopping area. One of the richest neighbourhoods of Bombay.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bapa

No Title

It is opposite Millionaire. Just next to the petrol pump. Right across from a butchers shop. I cant remeber the name. But it is place where you get packeged meat.

Cheers,
Bapa

Hotel Shalimar was there a decade ago.

I have been to Hotel Shalimar right from the roaring 80s to the raging 90s. It is there on Kemps Corner.

Last time I was in Bombay that was year ago, it was still standing there. :)

I was talking about Hotel Kemps Corner when I said I have never heard about it.

Shalimar is ofcourse there and a nice place....if price is not the issue. But Shalimar is much cheaper than Taj...Rs. 7000 a night, Natraj...Rs 4000 - Rs. 5000 a night.

No Title

try air france. i got for 1160 on expedia .traveling 7 DEC from new york , returning DEC 30th.Search specifically for air france.

anybody for DEC 18 intv?

Interview on 12/26.

Cannot find any tickets around that time. Has anyone been able to book ticket now in the 12/14 to 1/5 timeframe.

Try this travel agent also....

Avani Travels - 301-431-4990

Talk to Pankaj.

I have been getting tickets from this Agency for last 3 years.....

No Title

Mine is Dec-18, leaving 11/24, return 12/23, its close but I guees 3-4 days after the interview should be OK.

DS-230 part 1 question

Should DS-230 part 1 also be unsigned and be signed in front of the consular officer? Please reply. thanks

my take

unfortunately i am staying for 11 days. shalimar standard double room works out to about 150/night. i am looking for something like 90-100/night. it looks like there are only extremes available in bombay - very cheap or super expensive. my trip to bangalore last year was much better.

a friend who is from that area recommended kemps corner. he is from the building next to the embassy (prabhat) but lives in mehico now.

thanks for your help.

Go for Hotel Kohinoor if Shalimar is too expensive

Go for Hotel Kohinoor. It is about Rs 3000 for a nice suite. It is owned by former CM of Mahrashtra and current industry minister Manohar Joshi. You can negoitate bulk rates with them. Very close to Hinduja and Dadar ( you can get your photographs there). Very close to Sree Sree Siddhi Vinayak temple. The most powerful deity of Bombay. :)

Hotel Kemps Corner is in the lane where Litolier is. It is in a corner. Two buildings away from Om chambers.

Air tickets

CPers,

There are relatively cheap tickets ($1120-$1360) available on Air France and Alitalia for travel from Chicago/NY to Bombay on select December days. Check out travelocity and select "my dates are flexible" feature on the main page. Hopefully you get good deals.

Personally, I think you are perfectly fine if you allow one extra business day, before you depart for the US, after your interview for consular corrections on your GC.

Good luck all!

No Title

Actually I meant, since I am coming back just 4 days after the intreview, it should be enough in case somthing goes wrong and I have to go to consulate again.

got decemeber interview date

Just got an email from mumbai consulate that interview is scheduled for dec 18th. My P3 reached Mumbai on 3rd oct. EB3.

how many days before should I leave? interview 18/12

My interview is on 18th Dec. How many days before should one leave from here? I would like to go as late as possible to save my vacation but I don\'t wanna take risk at the same time.
Suggestions please..