Concurrent Filing I140 & I485 Nebraska Service Center

Update

Updated 11/02/2002: I-140/485 Concurrent Filing Rule Clarification

When the INS launched the concurrent filing procedure, there were a few questions which had not been answered by the INS. The following are the clarification by the INS HQ as of now:
Jurisdiction: When the job site is different from one's residence for whatever reasons, people should follow the following rules:
If I-140 is already approved, people will be allowed to file with either the Service Center that has jurisdiction over I-140 or the Service Center that has jurisdiction over I-485.

If I-140 and I-485 are filed together concurrently, it should be filed with the Service Center that has jurisdiction over I-140 and not the Service Center that has jurisdiction over I-485.
If I-140 has already been filed and one files I-485 afterwards but while the I-140 is still pending, such I-485 must be filed with the Service Center where I-140 is pending.
I-140 jurisdiction is determined by one of the following factors: (1) Job site as shown on labor certification application, or (2) Main business office location of the employer if the labor certification was filed for undetermined location, or (3) If employer has a sole jurisdiction arrangement with any Service Center, that Service Center has jurisdiction over I-140, however, the Service Center that has jurisdiction over the job site on the labor certification may also be able to exercise jurisdiction over the I-140, or (4) If a self-petition, where the alien resides.
I-485 jurisdiction is determined by the alien's place of residence.
In any event, the best policy is to file I-485 with the Service Center which has jurisdiction over the I-140, no matter whether I-140 has already been approved or still pending.
Processing of the Concurrently Filed I-140 and I-485: The INS bifurgates the proceedings. Initially it was unclear, but the INS HQ confirms that the two are processed separately. Therefore, I-140 will be first adjudicated as separate from I-485, and the Service Centers will issue Receipt Notice and Approval Notice as if I-140 was filed independently. This decision helps the people who need to utilize 180-day change of employer rule under AC 21 since the I-140 Receipt Notice will be issued early on. Additionally, the Service Centers are targetting to adjudicate such concurrently filed I-140 form 60 days to 90 days.
Availability of 180-Day Rule of AC 21 Pending I-140 Petition: The INS has yet to make decision on this issue and both the INS HQ and all the Service Centers decline to answer this question as of now. This is a situation where the decision of concurrently filed I-140 takes more than 180 days for whatever reasons.
EAD/Advance Parole: Unless I-140 statutory and prima-facie eligibility review is completed or I-140 is approved, EAD and Advance Parole applications will remain "on hold." Additionally, if RFE is issued for I-140, it stops the clock of running of 90 days for the purpose of eligibility for interim EAD until the response to the EAD is received by the Service Centers. Accordingly, the concurrent I-140/485 filers should maintain his/her nonimmigrant status as long as possible not for the purpose of maintaining a legal status in this country but for the purpose of keeping employment authorization that comes with H-1B or L-1 or other employment-based nonimmigrant visa status. As far as maintaining a legal status, proper filing and receipt of I-485 automatically make such alien's legal status in this country "legal" pending adjudication of I-485. According to the recent opinion of the INS, this includes those who have returned from overseas trip and reentered the country on "advance parole" and the paroled I-94 expires pending I-485 adjudication. In the event that he/she fails to receive EAD after filing the concurrent I-140/485 and fails to maintain the employment-based nonimmigrant status for whatever reasons, he/she should stop working until EAD is received or such employment-based nonimmigrant status is resolved. For most of the employment-based nonimmigrants, filing of petition for extension, I-129, automatically grants 240 days permit for employment pending adjudication of such I-129. In this regards, the people who can face a serious trouble because of the delay of issuance of EAD will be more or less limited to those who are not in a "valid" nonimmigrant status at the time of I-140/485 filing or while he/she was waiting for EAD approval.

This is my experiance on finger printing at other than the given place. My appointment was at Detroit INS ASC. I am in Minniapolis, Minnasota on business.

I went to St. Paul INS ASC on thursday and asked them if I could do it there. The guard at the center asked me to come either on Wednesday or on Saturday as they are relatively free on these days.

I went there today i.e. Saturday the 2nd November at 8.30 AM and got a token. There were 12 people before me for this purpose. My FP was done by 9.40 AM. It was very smooth and INS staff were very courtious and helpful.

I had to produce government issued ID. Passport was not acceptable.

Hope it helps those who are in similar situation.

Regards

Reciepts at last

Finally Ins sent the reciepts i was waiting for so badly yesterday

I 485 Rd sep 11
I485 ND oct 26
I 765 same RD and ND
I 140 sept4 th but rfe on oct16th lawyer yet to anwser
Wxm can u please update the info thanks in advance
Did not apply for Advance parole
Whil this is the good news i had bad news my comany might layoff people next week while there are different interpretaions of portability rule of changing employers before 180 days , can you guys give additional info as to what could happen if i get laid off
do i have to go thhrough everything from labour or if i find another employer can i just start from pocessing I 140 again , please let know any information you know or where i can find additional info
thanks in advance
:) :(

Re: sachdev

Hi Sachdev,

Thanks for posting your experience. Just have a few further questions:

(1) Did you have to notify the original INS office that you were going to a different office for FP and get their permission first?

(2) Did you have to make an appointment with the office you went to?

(3) What is a "government issued ID"? How and where did you get one? How long in advance did you have to apply for one or did you get it at the time of FP?

I will file I-485 concurrently in the next few days. I may have to do the same as you did for FP.

Thanks for your information in advance.

Re : Northeast

Answer # 1 : No and not required

Answer # 2 : No, just walked in.

Answer # # : Driver's licence or state ID.

Make sure that there are not too many people when you go there.

Hope this helps.
Regards,

I140 Analysis

Hi all,

I have attached a spread sheet called I140 analysis it looks like INS is aproving cases based on the RD and not on the ND. Because JBM, Sachin and few otheres have a notice date after ocotber 5th and their cases are approved but the RD is before others. I took Octo 5th becasue my ND was on Oct 5th before JBM & Sachin.

From my analysis (IF I am correct) the patern of the I140 approval should be in the followinf order

1.Sachdev
2.Yager
3.M2002
4.ReachINS
5.Habio
6.Punnet_gcard

Our next approval should be for Sachdev...

Sachdev please check your status today, i think it should be approved today or tomorrow. If it works our in the patter above and my expectation is all the above 6 people will get their I140 approved in less than 2 weeks from today......

Note: This is only my analysis think about it and give your inputs toooooooooooo....

Thanks guys for every thing. Happy Dewali!!!!

Hi m2002,

I just checked my status online. Unfortunately they have issued an RFE on 10/31/02. I do not have the details with me. It will go to my attorney. As soon as I get the details of RFE I will post them.

My guess is that it will be on employer's ability to pay wages. Let me wait and see.

Regards,

puneet_gcard,
It is not recommended to change your address.........because your FP notice comes to your address.......Post Office doesn't fwd any letter from DOJ(INS).......

shashi

Originally posted by puneet_gcard
Hi wx8, jbm, nanaji and other gurus. Small question to ask you guys. As you know I am still waiting for a receipt for my concurrent filing application sent on Oct 15th.

I am planning to change my address. I wanted to move to another apartment in my same apartment complex. But the apartment number would be different.

Is this recommended during I-485 stage (since I dont even have a receipt yet. Please give me your opinions

Thanks in advance !!!

Hi sachdev,

Sorry to hear that. But i am sure that there are no problems with I140....

After the lawyer replies for RFE i think it takes 2 weeks to approve. (i saw some post in Nebrasca I140 tacker today)

I am sure every one will get through this.

Guess next would be Yager because he is on the list next with the next RD after you.

Thanks for your post sachdev.

Regards
Originally posted by sachdev
Hi m2002,

I just checked my status online. Unfortunately they have issued an RFE on 10/31/02. I do not have the details with me. It will go to my attorney. As soon as I get the details of RFE I will post them.

My guess is that it will be on employer's ability to pay wages. Let me wait and see.

Regards,

m2000

Hi, m2000,

it is a good analysis. but I haven't got the receipts yet.
Following the jbm's intstruction, I got my lin code from
my bank and my ND seems to be very late.

Yager

I-140: LIN 03-020-50***
I-485: LIN 03-020-50***
EAD: LIN 03-020-50***

please update my info inthe tracking.

thanks

yager

Hi yager,

Thanks. Do not worry about the ND belive the processing is based on the RD, lets wait and see. Check your status tomorro morning and let us know if it has been approved. You should get it in the next 3 to 4 days. After your's i can expect mine. Becuase my RD is after yours.

Regards

Hi M2002. It is a good analysis but my situation is similar to yager. I am still waiting for receipt of everything for my concurrent application.

As soon as i hear something I will let you guys know right away.

On a side note does this pattern of quick approval of I-140 mean that INS could approve I-485 quickly as well.

Becuase the I-140 for concurrent filers is getting approved quicker than regular filers.

I140 Analysis

Hi,

I have updated the I140 spread sheet. I have added a coulmn called expected date of approval for the pending I140 in the concurrent tracker.

Lets see if my dates would match. Keep us updated thanks for al the input.

Regards

Hi m2002,

It is a very scientific analysis. Looks very interesting. But for the RFE I would have got my approval on 10/31/02, Which would prove your point.

Things are pretty fast. I spoke to my attorney and she says that she has not received the HC of RFE as yet.

Good Job m2002!

Regards,

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: I140 Analysis

M2002,
Your analysis is very good…….I have one suggestion that you can add two more columns for RFE issue Date and RFE Replay Date and then Expected Date …..

For your Info Here are my details

I 140 AD/ND – 07/05/02 RFE – 09/05/02 Re.RFE 10/19/02 (Company Ability to pay)
I 485/EAD AD – 09/12/02 ND – 09/26/02
FP given on 10/31/02

Good work ……..

All the best……

shashi

Originally posted by m2002
Hi,

I have updated the I140 spread sheet. I have added a coulmn called expected date of approval for the pending I140 in the concurrent tracker.

Lets see if my dates would match. Keep us updated thanks for al the input.

Regards

My RFE (Can U imagine???)

You know what my RFE is all about.

They asked me proof that I meet the requirements listed on
the ETA-750 Part 15. I have mentioned that I have experiences on certain technologies like UNIX, JAVA, ASP, JSP etc. They asked me the proof for that even though I have submitted my transcript.
I have graduated from CS.

Now I need to take a letter from my advisor stating that I have all those quealification.

Can you beleive now?? How difficult is going to be?? Offocourse they are not doing for everybody, still.................

Hi kshashikanth,

thanks. I will update the spread sheet with those 2 new coulmns and also with your information.

Regards

M2002 & WXM8

Please add my info to your tracker's.
EB2/ substitute labor
140/485/EAD sent to INS on 8/30/2002

I-140 LIN030105-19xx RD 8/30/2002 ND 10/15/2002
I-485 LIN030105-20xx RD 8/30/2002 ND 10/15/2002
I-EAD LIN030105-20xx RD 8/30/2002 ND 10/15/2002
Finger prints 11/20

Thanks

Originally posted by m2002
Hi kshashikanth,

thanks. I will update the spread sheet with those 2 new coulmns and also with your information.

Regards