Citizenship denied based on lack of good moral character

cheekuji

Registered Users (C)
My mom applied for citizenship and cleared the interview. Got her her N-652 saying that she passed the interview but needs to send in tax papers/residence proof and copies of passport within 30 days. We send in the papers and never hear back from the immigration office for the letter of oath. Finally two days ago after repeated inquiries and personal visit to the local office we get to know that she has been denied citizenship based on lack of good moral characters. It also says that she didn't bring in some the criminal identification record number. She has never been involved in any crime. Not sure how the came up with this.
Here are the sequence of events:
1. N-400 application date: 4/12/2006
2. Fingerprints date: 11/21/06
3. N-400 Interview Date: 10/01/2007 ( interview cleared and we were told to submit tax records/address proof/passport copies by 11/1/07)
4. Documents sent on the 10/15/07 and ins received it on 10/17/07.
5. We went to the office 11/06/07 and were told that it will take 3-6 months to get a response there is a lot of back log.
6. Called NSC on 04/28/08 and was told that a response will be sent by 05/28/08
7. Called back again on 05/28/08 and was told that a response will sent soon.
8. Met the immigration officer on 06/13/08 and was told that the case was denied and a notice was sent on 11/13/07. He told us that the file was sent back to the Missouri center on the 06/12/08 and he didn't have access to the file and couldn't tell us the denial reason. He promised to get the details after calling the NSC office in Missouri and let us know what the details are.
9. Called the NSC on 06/13/08 and requested another status inquiry
10. Received a notice of denial on 06/14/08.
It says that we did not provide a California Dept.of justice, bureau of criminal identification record .. not sure what this is .

We never got the denial letter on time. The copy of denial notice that we got two days ago is dated 11/13/07 and we were supposed to file any appeal within 30 days.
What can we do now? What I don't understand is that all they wanted was tax/proof of address and passport copies. Where did this criminal record and lack of moral character come in? I believe that they have made a mistake in making the decision.
Any help is appreciated
Edit/Delete Message

Sounds like you may need to consult an immigration lawyer to see what options remain open to you at this point.

My mom applied for citizenship and cleared the interview. Got her her N-652 saying that she passed the interview but needs to send in tax papers/residence proof and copies of passport within 30 days.
----------did she sent Tax papers and residence proof and copies of her passport with all the pages? did not she go to interview with her passport?
We send in the papers and never hear back from the immigration office for the letter of oath. Finally two days ago after repeated inquiries and personal visit to the local office we get to know that she has been denied citizenship based on lack of good moral characters. It also says that she didn't bring in some the criminal identification record number. She has never been involved in any crime. Not sure how the came up with this.
Here are the sequence of events:
1. N-400 application date: 4/12/2006
2. Fingerprints date: 11/21/06
3. N-400 Interview Date: 10/01/2007 ( interview cleared and we were told to submit tax records/address proof/passport copies by 11/1/07)
5. We went to the office 11/06/07 and were told that it will take 3-6 months to get a response there is a lot of back log.
6. Called NSC on 04/28/08 and was told that a response will be sent by 05/28/08
7. Called back again on 05/28/08 and was told that a response will sent soon.
8. Met the immigration officer on 06/13/08 and was told that the case was denied and a notice was sent on 11/13/07. He told us that the file was sent back to the Missouri center on the 06/12/08 and he didn't have access to the file and couldn't tell us the denial reason. He promised to get the details after calling the NSC office in Missouri and let us know what the details are.
9. Called the NSC on 06/13/08 and requested another status inquiry
10. Received a notice of denial on 06/14/08.

It says that we did not provide a California Dept.of justice, bureau of criminal identification record .. not sure what this is .
------------------------did she stay in California? now or in past? was any case against her in CA?

We never got the denial letter on time. The copy of denial notice that we got two days ago is dated 11/13/07 and we were supposed to file any appeal within 30 days.
What can we do now? What I don't understand is that all they wanted was tax/proof of address and passport copies. Where did this criminal record and lack of moral character come in? I believe that they have made a mistake in making the decision.
Any help is appreciated
Edit/Delete Message

------------------you need good lawyer and provide copy of each document

Could it be possible that someone stole her identity and now she is being blamed for their actions? Check her credit report to see if you find an odd activities. You can get the report for free online.

cheekuji,

Did u send the documents by certified mail and do u have the proof?

If so, get an attorney, and it should be possible to file an appeal.

Do come back to this forum, and keep us updated of what u do etc.

Perhaps her fingerprints were not readable and USCIS requested her to submit a criminal background history instead?

hi bobsmyth i was gonna ask you when i should receive my interview letterif you know any better than me.i suppose to travel outside country to see my familly caz i didnt see them since last year and im thinking that imight receive mine around october or november 2008 what u think of that? thanx

hi bobsmyth i was gonna ask you when i should receive my interview letterif you know any better than me.i suppose to travel outside country to see my familly caz i didnt see them since last year and im thinking that imight receive mine around october or november 2008 what u think of that? thanx

It really depends on your DO's processing times. Some recent applicants at some DOs have had their applications adjudicated within 6 months, so your Oct-Nov prediction is realistic, but since there are many variables involved it could be sooner or later.

lazycis: The notice we got is date Nov. 13 2007 and it is way past the appeal time line of 30 days. So we are way past the deadline.
We have contacted the congressman's office here and they say that they help only when the case is open and not denied. Since we didn't file an appeal they will not be able to inquire on our behalf.
I am setting up an infopass appt. to figure out the actual deal. I am not sure about the process of petition in federal court. Has anyone here done that?

Try the appeal anyway even though it is more than 30 days, because it is not yet 30 days since they notified you of the denial. A cover letter (preferably from a lawyer) should be included to that effect. I believe others have been able to get their cases reopened after 30 days in similar scenarios. Talk to a lawyer about the options, including either reapplying or going to court if the reopening it fails.

If it were me, I'd definitely retain the services of a good immigration attorney as soon as humanly possible!

According to you, your mom's citizenship was denied because the USCIS apparently made a mistake and thinks your mom has an undisclosed criminal record. Government agencies do, and frequently, make mistakes that affect many people.

Worse case scenaro: they may have started the deportation proceeding against your mom! :eek: They probably won't inform you or your mom untile you see the ICE agents knocking on your door. I've read many stories where naturalization applicants end up getting detained & deported because offenses committed as a greencard resident of the US.

Don't delay, get an attorney as soon as possible to clear this up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Could it be possible that someone stole her identity and now she is being blamed for their actions? Check her credit report to see if you find an odd activities. You can get the report for free online.

I am not sure. I'll do a credit check but wouldn't credit and criminal records be different?

cheekuji, was your mom ever asked to redo her fingerprints during the process?

She was never asked to redo her finger prints but before her interview we got a letter from the immigration department that they were abandoning our application because we didn't have the finger printing done. We went to the local immigration office and showed them the proof. The IO updated the system and we were done. Why would they call her for the interview if they didn't have the finger prints?